• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are you Hindu

Status
Not open for further replies.
prasad1, this is not your cross to bear. I won't expect my Christian friend to defend Christianity, neither can anyone expect a Muslim friend to defend everything that gets done in the name of Islam. A few days ago the state of Georgia executed a man whose guilt was clouded by substantial doubt, and I won't defend that action just because I am an American.

All organized religions come with loads of dirt and the so called Hinduism has more than its fair share. It is not wise to just sweep it under the rug. Face it and and if you must, explain the historical context and what some progressives are doing about it. You need to be thankful for the views some of us express here so you can be more prepared to do this explaining like an ambassador of anything Indian, if you so choose.

Cheers!

Thanks.

Shri Zebra,

The earliest reference you could find is 1876, so how can we say that the word has been use since at least the begining of the 19th century, used to express the idea of religion practiced by a group of people? May be we can say "from the second half of the 19th. century, i.e., it is current now for 260 years.

If you click on the google link provided in msg. no. 45, and navigate the web page using the option of period (like anytime, before 20th century, before 19th centure etc.) and click on the 19th century time frame, the web page will give a link to "Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland' - on page 33, which describes "Sanatana Dharma College" in Lahore. The entry is dated 1834.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back