• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we on our worst behaviour here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes wonder if we are on our worst behavior here in this forum? Is it because of the anonymity of the internet? Is it because we don't actually know any of the fellow members in real life? Is aggressive behavior a global human problem? Or is a particular group more prone to it? Why can't we take dissent? Why is it that we assume the worst?

I guess a little bit of soul searching cannot hurt.

dear biswa,
pray we get a forum where we can open up and shout scream and tell all we want people want to be heard and that is missing in day to day life and it is better to have a place to take out all that and walk away with peace, as it is nothing but to be heard, the stress level is too high anywhere and we must have a place to remove all those, may be a punching bag which i presented to my sis son, and in the end poor fellow hurt himself badly as he has to take out his anger so much he filled it with sand and it just became solid after sometime....sunkan

I don't think people are on their worst behavior here at all but I guarantee you that you are sure to find many opinionated people who thoroughly enjoy engaging in heated discussions!

I agree that anonymity, does give licence to aggressive behavior. But some people want to force their view on others, knowing that it is very unpopular. <Edtd - KRS> They find that internet forums are good place to vent their frustrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that majority of members here have swollen heads due to one reason or another - mostly because they have made a good life for themselves in foreign countries. They come here to teach others, to impose their knowledge on others who they expect to learn their upadesams by rote. It is common to find the view here, "don't advise me, I know what is good and what is not; simply take my learned outpourings unquestioningly and, if you are a good person, put some jalra by way of "like" or through Jalra posts.

Thus what is best done here in this forum is a MAS (Mutual Admiration Society).

Well said, Sri Sarma-61. I see here, you have not lost your sense of humor :). By the way, have you checked your eye sight lately; sometimes what you describe as 'seeing' swollen heads of fellow Forum members, irrespective of whether they reside in 'foreign' lands or whether they hold different theistic ideas other than yours may be due to some ailment,that makes you say these things! By the way, have you checked your head before a mirror lately, by any chance?

And by the way, what you say is based on perfect knowledge and logic of course! :)

Regards,
KRS

The problem is that majority of members here have swollen heads due to one reason or another - mostly because they have made a good life for themselves in foreign countries. They come here to teach others, to impose their knowledge on others who they expect to learn their upadesams by rote. It is common to find the view here, "don't advise me, I know what is good and what is not; simply take my learned outpourings unquestioningly and, if you are a good person, put some jalra by way of "like" or through Jalra posts.

Last edited:
I just want to take a second to say that in today's world MANY atheists have risen to the level of proselytizing zealotry in their adamant insistence that everyone agree with them. It is incredibly rampant in academia especially. I cannot tell you how many time fellow scientists (especially those of Indian decent look at me incredulously when they find out my rudraksha mala is more than a prop to look like a trendy cool yogi (yoga is INCREDIBLY en vogue in the states these days) and that I actually *gasp* have a faith and believe in our god, gods, gurus, and traditions. In academic environments it can be even more harsh as they are likely to call you ignorant when you cant snap your fingers and show them an omnipresent elephant headed entity. what is ironic and heartbreaking is the way so many use intelligence and physical proofs to attempt to deny fundamental truths which exist on much deeper levels than physics and exist in the understanding and experience of consciousness itself. A phenomenon of life transcending physics and real in the fact that it is common to all.

Do not think that people here putting that vibration forward are on their worst behavior. Understand that it is their new atheist culture to try to shame and shake non-subscribers until they comply and renounce. The scientist who lacks the intuition to hear the deep truths that relate to physics in shloka like aditya hridayam expounding that we are indeed made of star dust (a sentiment repeated often by cosmologists like Carl sagan and Neal De Grass Tyson) is a scientist who lacks the intuition necessary for discovery as their mind is already dead in their comprehension of the world as it exists in their eyes and no more.

In regards to controversial Tamil political figures, disgruntled and disenfranchised peoples, and discrimination based on caste be it directed in any direction I have no comment as I have no scope of the discussion that has taken place in my absence.

I just want to take a second to say that in today's world MANY atheists have risen to the level of proselytizing zealotry in their adamant insistence that everyone agree with them. It is incredibly rampant in academia especially. I cannot tell you how many time fellow scientists (especially those of Indian decent look at me incredulously when they find out my rudraksha mala is more than a prop to look like a trendy cool yogi (yoga is INCREDIBLY en vogue in the states these days) and that I actually *gasp* have a faith and believe in our god, gods, gurus, and traditions. In academic environments it can be even more harsh as they are likely to call you ignorant when you cant snap your fingers and show them an omnipresent elephant headed entity. what is ironic and heartbreaking is the way so many use intelligence and physical proofs to attempt to deny fundamental truths which exist on much deeper levels than physics and exist in the understanding and experience of consciousness itself. A phenomenon of life transcending physics and real in the fact that it is common to all.

Do not think that people here putting that vibration forward are on their worst behavior. Understand that it is their new atheist culture to try to shame and shake non-subscribers until they comply and renounce. The scientist who lacks the intuition to hear the deep truths that relate to physics in shloka like aditya hridayam expounding that we are indeed made of star dust (a sentiment repeated often by cosmologists like Carl sagan and Neal De Grass Tyson) is a scientist who lacks the intuition necessary for discovery as their mind is already dead in their comprehension of the world as it exists in their eyes and no more.

Shri Boston Sankara sir,

I have admiration for your "bhakti" and belief. But when you say Carl Sagan or Neil deGrasse Tyson saying that we are indeed made of stardust is something which cannot be accepted prima facie. There is no evidence that stardust consists of "life" as we know on this planet nor is there the earth's surface getting abundant stardust coating continuously. Life here is, as of now, a very localized phenomenon until we come to know of alien life of the same type (carbon-based, oxygen-inhaling, haemoglobin-dependent life) elsewhere in this universe. As and when we come to know of such aliens, perhaps we can have an entirely new interpretation for the nAsadeeya sUkta.

Sri Sarma,

I believe you may be thinking on a bit of a higher level here. When these people say we are made of "stardust" a fanciful term they are si,ply refering to the fact that the heavier elements (heavier than helium and hydrigen) only come to exist in the furnace of the stars themselve and are only thought to propagate throughout the universe once they explode. They don't mean life started there so much as they mean the building blocks for it did. As much as I like these guys ideas I would be misrepresenting them if I wasn't clear that their beliefs end where spirituality begins. They are dedicated to nothing but the science but on a fantastically cosmic level.

PS I will be looking into the nAsadeeya sukta as I havent read it. Thanks for the tip!

If you care to research more here is a well cited article for you on the source of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Oxygen in our unervese. It is extensely cited referencing both text books and peer reviewed journals. Enjoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNO_cycle

Well said.

Dear Sri Kalabairavan Ji,

I have been telling folks here to raise any questions about Moderation via a pm. By discussing these in public about Moderated posts do not lead to proper understanding of why a post was moderated.

However, without going in to specifics, the post that was moderated indirectly referenced and attacked only one member of this Forum, which is against the rules.

The one that was not moderated has a borderline comment on an unidentified 'most members'. Besides while one may take the word 'swollen head' as offensive, one may also interpret it as saying that people have high egos or superiority complex. Since this was not directed against any particular person, I chose to let it stand. The objective here is to have as minimal a moderation as possible.

Hope this explains. Please pm me if you have any further questions. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS
கால பைரவன்;130217 said:
I am curious, dear kSRji.

What did Prasad write that deserved moderation given the fact that the post of Sarma-ji, for example, is left untouched?

Dear Sri Kalabairavan Ji,

I have been telling folks here to raise any questions about Moderation via a pm. By discussing these in public about Moderated posts do not lead to proper understanding of why a post was moderated.

However, without going in to specifics, the post that was moderated indirectly referenced and attacked only one member of this Forum, which is against the rules.

The one that was not moderated has a borderline comment on an unidentified 'most members'. Besides while one may take the word 'swollen head' as offensive, one may also interpret it as saying that people have high egos or superiority complex. Since this was not directed against any particular person, I chose to let it stand. The objective here is to have as minimal a moderation as possible.

Hope this explains. Please pm me if you have any further questions. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS
Mr. KRSji,
I do not question your right to moderate comments, If I did I would PM you.
I do take objection to your public comment about your own assumption about my intentions. I did not write about any individual. If an individual felt slighted then he/she is to blame. If on the other hand the shoe fits they should wear it, I did not ask them to wear it.
I feel that I being singled out unfairly and that too in public.

Dear Sri Prasad1 Ji,

Folks already know that a post is moderated when they see the 'red' letters. So, saying that my explanation as to why your post was moderated to a question posted to me is not at all adding any insult.

I can always add the reasons for moderation on all posts. But I usually do it only with very egregious posts, so that they won't be repeated. In other words, I could have added the same comments to your post that I gave as explanation to Sri KB Ji, except for MY reticence to do so.

By the way, I do not moderate based on 'assumptions'. I do by direct evidence and following the Forum rules. If you attack any member's ideas without attacking the person directly or indirectly, you will not see any moderation. Otherwise, you will.

I think you also know the fact that 'you are being singled out unfairly' is not true as you are not the only one who have been moderated in this Forum.

Regards,
KRS

Mr. KRSji,
I do not question your right to moderate comments, If I did I would PM you.
I do take objection to your public comment about your own assumption about my intentions. I did not write about any individual. If an individual felt slighted then he/she is to blame. If on the other hand the shoe fits they should wear it, I did not ask them to wear it.
I feel that I being singled out unfairly and that too in public.

Last edited:

Sir,

If what you call as MAS werent there wouldnt it turn out to be a one sided bashing field and leave some of the members simply tired and uninterested to visit this place again?
With so many 'learned' people taking the trouble to expose the faults of others' questions or simple and learning experience sharing, and some jumping in at the opportunity to turn a discussion into a fight and finding some one else to pass on the blame, and a few who cannot accept greatness about anyone else other than the SELF, those that take pleasure in a snub at others only to silence them, I wonder why you feel only that way.

I find MAS working as an anti dote some times, so I dont find it that bad.

Ok then, given a chance, what would you like it to be?

Shri ozone,

Your posting is difficult for me to understand. So, I am raising my doubts here.

Sir,

If what you call as MAS werent there wouldnt it turn out to be a one sided bashing field and leave some of the members simply tired and uninterested to visit this place again?

Am I to presume that our members who take up the cudgels require cheerleaders? I thought that if I take issue with anyone else's pov, then I should settle the matter myself without looking forward to moral support. If I become unsure whether my view has support from the forum members, I should refrain from persisting in my pov.

With so many 'learned' people taking the trouble to expose the faults of others' questions or simple and learning experience sharing, and some jumping in at the opportunity to turn a discussion into a fight and finding some one else to pass on the blame, and a few who cannot accept greatness about anyone else other than the SELF, those that take pleasure in a snub at others only to silence them, I wonder why you feel only that way.

I find MAS working as an anti dote some times, so I dont find it that bad.

The first para is Greek and Latin to me; my head reels in unraveling its gūḍārtha ! Hence, I have to skip it. anti-dote for what? You may clarify.

Ok then, given a chance, what would you like it to be?

I would like to see less of the MAS phenomenon. Less of 'likes' each member taking care to "broadbase" his/her likes. And, last but not the least, the tendency of "one rule for me, one rule for the rest of the world" syndrome and complete avoidance of the attitude of "I don't want to be lectured to. I know what is good for me so don't need advice. But all the same my advice should not be taken as being lectured to because my writings are invaluable."

"Like"ing a post is meant to give support to the author more so than it is meant to present a mob to the opposition. At least I hope so!

"Like"ing a post is meant to give support to the author more so than it is meant to present a mob to the opposition. At least I hope so!

Shri Sankara sir,

Unfortunately the device of "like" has got demoted to a convenient medium for cartel-formation here in this forum. It no longer represents appreciation of new ideas, good language or skill in debate.

Shri ozone,

Your posting is difficult for me to understand. So, I am raising my doubts here.

Am I to presume that our members who take up the cudgels require cheerleaders? I thought that if I take issue with anyone else's pov, then I should settle the matter myself without looking forward to moral support. If I become unsure whether my view has support from the forum members, I should refrain from persisting in my pov.
Dear Sir,
I dont know if the 'likes' can be interpreted to a singular use as you describe. Because the interest and commitment levels of members vary here, you will see some members passionate having invested lot of time and bandwidth in learning and study wanting to share it, sometimes very less takers as few of them are casual surfers and peek in here to take a break. Some may start with just a passing remark but might get in more seriously depending on the response. Some start big and drop off. Some may agree with a Pov but might not have anything more to add. Some might not like a pov, but may lack enough material to refute it.All these are possible including those that you have described.

If some one doesnt like the 'Like', then they view them as simply bells and whistles.
To be honest, I have not seen any one complaining about the Likes they get. Even if they get a like for something they did not anticipate, when they find some one 'Liking' it, the best response would be a surprise and trying to find a good corelation to their post, rather than a shock. (Well this is of course my theory).
Members get upset seeing others getting what they term as easy and undeserving 'Likes'.
The forum support members with varying levels of knowledge and aspirations to contribute.

The first para is Greek and Latin to me; my head reels in unraveling its gūḍārtha ! Hence, I have to skip it. anti-dote for what? You may clarify.
I am sorry for causing that. I was just giving you a feel for what else happens in the forum :)
When a member writes something and lands into trouble, another post that gets a few Likes sometimes might bring some cheers.

I would like to see less of the MAS phenomenon. Less of 'likes' each member taking care to "broadbase" his/her likes. And, last but not the least, the tendency of "one rule for me, one rule for the rest of the world" syndrome and complete avoidance of the attitude of "I don't want to be lectured to. I know what is good for me so don't need advice. But all the same my advice should not be taken as being lectured to because my writings are invaluable."
If we agree that we write here to share our thoughts and experience and want them to be read and appreciated, then MAS cannot be separated out. I agree with the rest of your views, but dont know for sure if that is desired or possible. You also mentioned elsewhere the need to welcome and accomodate diverse views and personalities to make the forum vibrant. Some of what you ask of are possible in blogs.

One of the problems with internet forums or email is the lack of visual cues. Just like our cousin the great apes, humans are attuned to others' facial expressions to understand how their comments are interpreted. Chimpanzees may react to a hostile approach using a very visible baring of teeth.

Unfortunately since this forum allows only the use of the Like button and no baring of teeth, we have to interpret the intentions of a responder all by ourselves. Frequently we assume the worst, anticipating a challenge to our intelligence, good looks or well intentions.

Dear Biswa,

How on earth I missed this thread..I guess I was too engrossed with Maya thread.
Ok you know what!! I have come to realize that in this world we are only remembered if we are famous or infamous.

That too glamour and beauty can overshadow even a saint.
You remember how Mother Theresa's death didnt get much limelight cos Princess Diana(I love her BTW) died just a few days or something before Mother Theresa?

So for the rest of us lesser mortals who are not famous or infamous the internet is the best place to be the launching pad of a post mortem blue print of our lives.

So one day when we are dead and gone..some one could be reading all what we wrote here and think "OMG!!WTF!! etc(dear moderator dont delete that Ok!!LOL)

So who cares dear..have a wild time whenever you feel like it.
BTW some of us have our pics uploaded here so its not 100% anonymous.

Last edited:
I am not anonymous. Just look for the kid in Mayuraasana in Boston Massachusetts. That's me! :-D

Dear Biswa,

How on earth I missed this thread..I guess I was too engrossed with Maya thread.
Ok you know what!! I have come to realize that in this world we are only remembered if we are famous or infamous.

That too glamour and beauty can overshadow even a saint.
You remember how Mother Theresa's death didnt get much limelight cos Princess Diana(I love her BTW) died just a few days or something before Mother Theresa?

So for the rest of us lesser mortals who are not famous or infamous the internet is the best place to be the launching pad of a post mortem blue print of our lives.

So one day when we are dead and gone..some one could be reading all what we wrote here and think "OMG!!WTF!! etc(dear moderator dont delete that Ok!!LOL)

So who cares dear..have a wild time whenever you feel like it.
BTW some of us have our pics uploaded here so its not 100% anonymous.

I once saw an interview of the Dalai Lama saying his jovial mood about a practice of christianity.you are given red wine and you are told that this is the blood of Christ, this is followed by a paperthin wafer placed in your mouth and you repeat this is the body of christ and the Lama said funny religion laughingly.Everybody in the audience were laughing as well. When you think about it, some people may see it as cannibalism.
We all have traits in our religion that we would rather not talk about and some are so blatent when you walk round one or two temples.I am comfortable with Saiva Siddantham;When I look at Dakshinamurthy I accept that Lord Siva came to earth as the greatest Yogi that he is and took the shape od Dakshina to teach us a secret as how to improve. In his right hand is the japa malai and that means we must do japam. The little deer on the other arm is telling us that the mind is like the deer and it hops all over the place and control it to keep still (Summa Iru). Experiences will start to happen in time when practiced twice a day. The foot of the Yogi is crushing a human being and it is the anava, our ego;not to be confused with egoism.I am comfotable with this and it works for me.No Iyer has ever explained any of this stuff to me or anyone else.I do wonder why that was, I have a good guess.
I think that once you have a way to make your religious beliefs work for you, whatever you believe in, life is palatable.
nalanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back