• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ara Haro Hara Vel Muruga... A short analysis on legend of Sri Murugan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear JR,

Shankara Digvijaya does mention about Skanda taking birth as Kumarila Bhatta.
In fact it states that his birth as Kumarila Bhatta is for the revival of the ritualistic section of Brahma(the Veda) and hence by known as Subrahmanya(promoter of Brahmanya).

I have not read Sankara Digvijaya.

In taittiriya Aranyakam, Indra is addressed as subrahmanya.. The verse is:

subrahmanNyom, subrahmaNyom, subrahmaNyom
Indra AgacCha, hariva agacCha mEDhathiThe (T.A. 1.58.9)

Bhatta Bhaskara in his commentary has given the meaning as : SoBhanam brahma, subrahma vedaH

In Aiteraya brAhmaNam, the assistants to Hotrs were called/addressed as subrahmaNya.

Dear Sir,

This thread is on Muruga and no point in hijacking it to suit your convenience of 'Vaishnava hatred'.

BTW: You can prove none of your allegations against our Vaishnavam. If you want to spread more hatred on Vaishnavam, kindly open another thread and prove it with points. Please stay away from this thread.

Smt. JR,

It is the highlighted portions ("our Vaishnavam") which is unwelcome, in my view. The smaarthas do not exclude Vishnu from their worship whereas the Vaishnavas still have a little animosity towards Shiva, Saivism, etc.

It may be interesting to you that under the Vaikhaanasa Aagama system has Kaumara/Kumara firmly associated with itself.

"54.1. Further, the association of Kumara and Kaumara – mantra with Vaikhanasa tradition is also interesting. The Kaumara – mantra: Om aghoraya mahaghoraya nejameshaya namo namah (as provided in Vaikhanasa –samhita, mantra –prashna: 5.49) is said to represent the earliest form of the tantric school Kaula –vidya. It is also said; Vaikhanasa were the earliest to adopt the tantra technique of worshipping Vishnu icons. 54.2. We find that the later Vaikhanasa Grihya sutra include practices of praying to Kumara while conducting certain life-cycle–rituals (samskaras). For instance; the Vaikhanasas invoke Kumara for blessing the infant during its namakarana ceremony (naming the infant).The newborn is blessed with mantra: ‘be invincible (sarvatra-jayo bhava) like Kumara, son of Shankara’ (Shankarir iva sarvatra-jayo bhava: Vaikhanasa smarta sutra 3.19.20).Invocations are also made to protect the child from Kumara-grahas, the spirits that seize the children below the age of five.
Kumara is also invoked while the Vaikhanasa – child is taken to Kumara temple for its first outing. The father takes the prasada, the flowers that adorned Kumara, and places it on the child’s head saying: ‘I give you the flowers with which the Gurus worshipped Kumara (sesham gurubhih supujitam pushpam); may you be protected ‘ (Guhasya sesham gurubhih supujitam pushpam dadami –sya Shammukham).
54.3. Interestingly, the ashtottara-shata-namavali of Sri Venkateshvara, calls the Lord: ‘karttikeya-vapudharine namah’.*** Correspondingly, Markandeya one of the oldest Puanas names Kumara as ‘Vasudeva-priya’, the one who is dear to Vasudeva. Vishnu and Kumara are said to have an ‘understanding’ and recognition of each others might."

(http://sreenivasaraos.com/2012/10/12/tantra-agama-part-two-agama-3/)

It is my belief that in Atharvaveda, in the portion relating to magic spells, cures, etc., Kumaara/Kaumaara is somehow associated with high fever of infants. You may see the reference to Kumaara Grahas above.

*** This could be related to the fact that the deity at Thirumala/Tirupathi had been worshipped as Muruga/Skanda during one period.

Muruga/Skanda is also called Dhurta, and there is a Dhoorta Kalpa of Atharvaveda which is followed by Vaikhaanasas and Boudhaayanas.

Hence, like most things relating to religion, it is better not to dig too much deeper lest it emit an unbearable stench! Be happy with whatever your religion or belief system tells you to believe and be ready to fight for it even with your life, just as Shri Vaagmi does!

Sangom ji,

Thank you. You are right, I too admire Vaagmi ji for his spirited discussions, vast knowledge, and winning spirit.

I was unwell yesterday and did not get a drop of sleep in the night. To kill the time, I logged on and found that the thread was dangerously heading into Vaishnava bashing mode and had to say something as the OP to stop it.

Thanks for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back