• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Appropriateness of vratham for grooms marriage performed by anybody ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My query is what is the appropriate Tamil Brahmin Custom as far as performing the ‘Vratham’ for the bride groom’s marriage in the absence of his father. The bride groom has two elder married brothers. Does custom behold that the eldest of the bride groom’s married brother only should perform the Vratham along with his wife. Is it acceptable that the younger of the elder brothers perform the vratham for the groom without the consent of the eldest brother? I would suggest the readers to give a considered, expert, conservative and time-tested reply instead of making own guess work or presumptions.

My query is what is the appropriate Tamil Brahmin Custom as far as performing the ‘Vratham’ for the bride groom’s marriage in the absence of his father. The bride groom has two elder married brothers. Does custom behold that the eldest of the bride groom’s married brother only should perform the Vratham along with his wife. Is it acceptable that the younger of the elder brothers perform the vratham for the groom without the consent of the eldest brother? I would suggest the readers to give a considered, expert, conservative and time-tested reply instead of making own guess work or presumptions.

If you ask for "time-tested", yes, the eldest surviving brother and his wife should officiate as if the bridegroom's parents. No other course is allowed and permissible.

It follows that if there is a dispute between the eldest surviving brother and the groom, this fellow can never get married;) . To avoid such a contingency, and in the case of no elder brother, in some cases the chitthappa-chitthi, paternal uncles one removed (onnu viTTu periyappa-periyammai/chitthappa-chitthi) have also done "vratam mooccu veykkaratu" in exceptional cases. Direct (not one removed) periyappa-periyammai/chitthappa-chitthi are always preferred to elder brother even, as per sastras.

Thanks for the "time-tested" reply. I would have been glad had many other Scholars and experts respond to this Thread. Kindly come forward. Let us share such knowledge so that at least know what are the accepted practices and customs instead of making way for convenient decisions leaving behind appropriateness to the dust-bin/garbage. Looking forward to many more considered and mature replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back