• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Angapradakshinam

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i did many times angapradakshinam in tirumala temple thirupathi.....i saw many women also do angapradishanam in

sri venkateswara swamy temple tirumala...tirupathi....its very common practice there...

Yes, it is correct. Thirumalai can be taken as the Guide by All, since Lord Srinivasa/ Narayana has the unquestioned Faith & every Hindu craves to visit Lord Venkateswara,nly to have a glimpse & that says it all.Such is the Power of Kurai yondrum Illai/ GOvinda Kaliyuga Varadan.
Srinivasan

Out of curiosity, I was surfing the net and found out that angapradakshiNam is NOT allowed for women, in Mantralaya!

''Women should not perform Urulu Seva (a form of Seva in which a devotee performs pradakshine around the courtyard

while rolling on his body). Women should also not perform sashtanga namaskara (where the whole body touches the floor);

they should perform namaskara by kneeling down on their knees.''

Source:
Do's and Dont's | Sri Raghavendra Matha

P.S: It is better to enquire the temple authorities and get information before visiting the temple.

It is an established custom and so has to be followed.

Women do not do angapradakshinam nor do they do sAshtanga Namaskaram.

A woman should know what she can do and what she can not do before taking a vow.

This video is for Vaagmi Sir! Women do angapradakshiNam with a helper to adjust the saree after each roll.

Youtube - Incredible rolling!

(I thought a salwar - kameez dress would have made the rolling easier! :D )

It is a very common practice for NB ladies.

P.S: Tonsuring the head is also common for NB ladies. We can see this in all famous temples.

This video is for Vaagmi Sir! Women do angapradakshiNam with a helper to adjust the saree after each roll.

Youtube - Incredible rolling!

(I thought a salwar - kameez dress would have made the rolling easier! :D )

It is a very common practice for NB ladies.

P.S: Tonsuring the head is also common for NB ladies. We can see this in all famous temples.

My post was for the TB members here. I am aware that NB ladies do angapradakshinam, do tonsure etc.,

Even brahmins who are not aware of the customs do a complete tonsuring.

Brahmins are supposed to leave a few locks of hair at the top of their head (uchchi) when doing the tonsuring. They are not supposed to do a complete vazhukkai mottai. In Mahabharat Aswattama, a brahmin, was given that(a complete mottai) as a punishment.

Ignorance is bliss and so many TBs do different things.

Thanks for the reply, Vaagmi Sir.

BTW, I used to wonder, when ladies are NOT supposed to do sAshtAnga namaskAram, why the drawing in

Vadapalani temple has a full length female outline, in the place provided for all the people to do namaskAram?

The male and female outlines are equal! Gender equality?? :D

All along, I was under the impression that Angapradakshinam can be done by women. Recently, a publication from our Acharyan Sannidhi mentioned that women should not do Angapradakshinam, apparently for the same reasons that they are not permitted to do Sashtanga Namaskaram. This is from Vaishavite angle. I believe this applies to all TBs.

All along, I was under the impression that Angapradakshinam can be done by women. Recently, a publication from our Acharyan Sannidhi mentioned that women should not do Angapradakshinam, apparently for the same reasons that they are not permitted to do Sashtanga Namaskaram. This is from Vaishavite angle. I believe this applies to all TBs.
hi

especially for TB brahmins....the WHOLE WOMAN BODY SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE EARTH.....similarly women bodies are very

sensitive/delicate....even bhooma devi is also a woman deity.....just my 2 cents...tonsuring by TB WOMAN means WIDOW

ONLY....

Our gurus are our guides.

But some of the customs regarding widows, followed at the Kanchi mutt, hurt me a lot! :(

hi

especially for TB brahmins....the WHOLE WOMAN BODY SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE EARTH.....similarly women bodies are very

sensitive/delicate....even bhooma devi is also a woman deity.....just my 2 cents...tonsuring by TB WOMAN means WIDOW

ONLY....
Possible reasons why Angapradakshinam might not be allowed for a female:

1)The mammary glands being squashed against the floor while doing Angapradakshinam might cause bruising and pain.

2)A woman could also be in an early stage of pregnancy but not yet aware of it..just 1 or 2 weeks pregnant...and rolling on the floor might cause compression on her uterus and it might lead to a miscarriage.

3)Men!..A woman doing Angapradakshinam will attract males with roving eyes to feast upon any chance of seeing an exposed leg.

BTW just a thought..while doing
Angapradakshinam does its hurt for men? Ouch!

Last edited:
Possible reasons why Angapradakshinam might not be allowed for a female:

1)The mammary glands being squashed against the floor while doing Angapradakshinam might cause bruising and pain.

2)A woman could also be in an early stage of pregnancy but not yet aware of it..just 1 or 2 weeks pregnant...and rolling on the floor might cause compression on her uterus and it might lead to a miscarriage.

3)Men!..A woman doing Angapradakshinam will attract males with roving eyes to feast upon any chance of seeing an exposed leg.

BTW just a thought..while doing
Angapradakshinam does its hurt for men? Ouch!

hi

yes...sometimes scraches/bleeding in legs....i had it too...i did many times angapradhishanam......even i get vommitting sometimes

hi

yes...sometimes scraches/bleeding in legs....i had it too...i did many times angapradhishanam......even i get vommitting sometimes

TBS garu,

You are too innocent yaar...I was not really talking about pain in the legs or bleeding or nausea..

I was just wondering whether all these rolling is painful at the...well never mind!LOL

Dear Renu,

Even sAshtAnga and ashtAnga namaskArams are forbidden for females.

PanchAnga namaskAram - touching the ground with head, hands and knees - is for females. :hail:

We have to keep the ankles one over the other too! ;)

All of us & most of the active members , both Male & Female are tempted to take part in this most delicate Topic , though we may have fairly correct knowledge & much information on Angapradakshinam., yet , we do not accept the time proven system , going on & on , , But it would be to advantage if we accept such proven matters, instead of splitting the Hair ?
Then only --both Healthy discussion & better , progressive Outlook would emerge & will pave way for better understanding within the Brahmins & the community.
If the Veterans in this forum , simultaneously think out of the Box to try to suggest any positive actions duly collecting useful suggestions& involve most of active members & some solid action for the benefit of majority of members & work to full fill the ambitions of youngsters.
Rishikesan ( srinivasan)

TBS garu,

You are too innocent yaar...I was not really talking about pain in the legs or bleeding or nausea..

I was just wondering whether all these rolling is painful at the...well never mind!LOL

hi

you can use some modern medical terms..its ok ..lah

Dear Renu,

Even sAshtAnga and ashtAnga namaskArams are forbidden for females.

PanchAnga namaskAram - touching the ground with head, hands and knees - is for females. :hail:

We have to keep the ankles one over the other too! ;)

Dear RR ji,

I still feel all these rules and regulations are just to maintain modesty of females in public and nothing really much more than that....cos when we do Yogaasanas we have even an Asthangaasana where 8 parts of the body touch the ground..not to mention gravity defying poses too...unless someone has a theory that females should not do Yoga.

Dear Renu,

You are correct. Some rules are there only to maintain the modesty of women.

One of our senior members wrote that a girl child should not be hugged even by her father once she reaches 5 years. :)

TBS garu,

To bring this to a closure,

Yes, it wont be hurting for the males if a koupeenam or an appropriate undergarment(not the vadivelu type) is worn while doing the pradakshinam. LOL.

AngaPradakshiNam is painful to God Krishna. Why do you want to pain the god seeing the plight of his children by paining yourself. My opinion, just chant Songs or Glorify god in temples

hi

after taking bath in PUSHKARANI....we have to use wet towel with proper undergarment....its must rule in thirumala temple....

The male and female outlines are equal! Gender equality?? :D

RRji,

Gender equality, feminism these are all modern terms, popularized due to corruptions from the West. Please do not allow this debasement of our culture! Women should only do what they are allowed (by men). Clearly they are not equal in the eyes of God (because some men said so!)

Dear RR ji,

I still feel all these rules and regulations are just to maintain modesty of females in public and nothing really much more than that....cos when we do Yogaasanas we have even an Asthangaasana where 8 parts of the body touch the ground..not to mention gravity defying poses too...unless someone has a theory that females should not do Yoga.

Renukaji,

Women should hence forth be banned from doing yoga (particularly if they are wearing yoga pants). Please quote any shastra to show women are allowed to do yoga. Women are only allowed to bear and rear children and possibly get fat as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back