• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

... and these too are one of us (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

not sure how to approach this topic.

these are folks born as tamil brahmins, but who violently denied their birth and the baggage that comes with the ancestry.

what provoked me, was the death of W.R. Varadarajan as described here.

Missing CPI-M leader W R Varadarajan?s body found in lake | Asian Tribune

i was surprised by the note, that varadarajan was expelled from cpi(m) for marital infidelities which is supposed not be in conformity with marxist principles.

from what little i know of marx, i think, marx was a free thinker who, if not advocate, tolerated 'free love'. in that context, if varadarajan had indulged in some extra marital affairs, i would have thought that the marxist, would give it a 'nod nod wink wink' treatment.

apparently, our fellow travellers, are leaning on the reactionary puritanical attitudes towards sex, which would make lenin, stalin (the original one), mao all turn in their graves, for as history knows, there is no count to the number of concubines these had. :).

i thought free sex was one of the fringe benefit of being a communists - from what i have heard of the leftist students of oxbridge of the 1920s - 30s (indira gandhi, nk.ranga, bhupesh gupta, minoo masani, jyoti basu all come to my mind). apprently our பதிவ்ரிதைஸ் back home, once away from the magnetic force of the motherland, willingly freely did offer their consolation services at a time when the freedom cause could a square into a circle and a virgin to a whore. :)

for the religious inclined among us, what happens, for instance, to varadarajan's soul. apparently he had committed suicide. what does the vedas say? after all sati is an honoured tradition for us. if sati is not a form of suicide, what is?

next note, will be on p.ramamurthi!!

thank you.

ps. for folks , who have expressed the 'fairness' of the average TB, do you think from the pix, that varadarajan has the பிராமணக்களை?

Last edited:
Kunjuppu ji,

I am also surprised about the sudden demise of W R Varadarajan popularly known as WRV in comrade circles.

WRV was MLA of our constituency in Chennai way back in 1989 to 1991

I met him once in his house when he was our MLA.

He is an Iyengar by birth and married a dalith girl.

He was working with Reserve Bank of India and joined trade union movement & left the service.

He was very brilliant, sharp and intelligent.

I am also surprised to note that he has fallen out of the grace of communist comrades.

He never amazed wealth and had a very simple life.

It is surprising that Marxists are not coming out openly about the reasons for his falling out of grace.

I have started believing that even marxist party is getting corrupted.

Nowadays I am seeing top leaders of Marxist party in the airports regularly. Earlier days they use to travel by train or bus only.

Let us hope mystery surrounding WRV comes out openly at least in the future.

all the best

I had attended a meeting addressed by Late WRV, at Madurai,during 1982-83, when he was a trade unionist and addressed the gathering on the union matters current at that time. As myself, a person attracted by the communist thoughts, rationalism and to some extent Atheism ,(in the roaring teens and twenties,) it was a bit dream eyed expectation coming true. I was impressed by his depth in the matters dealt by him. The language was lucid and elite at the same time. Modulation was motivating. Afterwards I used to read with interest his press notes, speech reports etc.After he became a legislator, I did not find him to my earlier expectations.
It is a different story that slowly , I also got frustrated with the deceptive ways of many of the communists. Years and realities made me to look and see life in a different way.

By and by the political communists started wearing dogmatism as a facade,trapping the innocent youths with unfulfilled wishes .Their despotic and many acts resulting against normal middle class people and their own sincere followers made them drifting away from the hearts of thousands who reposed faith on them.. Today they are not a bit different from other vested interests,but sometimes more harmful.

WVR case fits in somewhere between all these....

re

kunjuppu,
i thought free sex was one of the fringe benefit of being a communists - from what i have heard of the leftist students of oxbridge of the 1920s - 30s (indira gandhi, nk.ranga, bhupesh gupta, minoo masani, jyoti basu all come to my mind). apprently our பதிவ்ரிதைஸ் back home, once away from the magnetic force of the motherland, willingly freely did offer their consolation services at a time when the freedom cause could a square into a circle and a virgin to a whore.
for the religious inclined among us, what happens, for instance, to varadarajan's soul. apparently he had committed suicide. what does the vedas say? after all sati is an honoured tradition for us. if sati is not a form of suicide, what is?
you of all the people should know,there is no such thing as free lunch.

i'm sort of bewildered by your language,that too lampooning world leader like indira gandhi (pbuh).

to mention sati now,we get a glimpse of time warp,you uphold.truly canadians are blessed with sorts of this nature.to know about vedas,plz take your time to read it or hear it from a pundit,apparently,this is a very insulting post,to the religiously inclined in the forum.to call a tradtion of the past as suicide,wonder what you tell your jewish friends,christian friends,islamic friends about circumsicion?i'm betting,we would not hear a whimper about it,lest a fatwah is issued!!so much for uniting us,kunjuppu,thank you!really sad to read your post,never expected this from you.

since you are concerned about varadus soul,its probably hanging around your neighborhood,just be careful,when you step outside,dear friend.

nachi naga.

thanks suri, venkat.

i tend to agree with you that cpi(m) tends to get as corrupted as the others and perhaps with a greater penchance for despotism.

personally, knowing their antecedents in the JNU, i am very surprised at the straglehold that prakash & brinda have over the party. they have never been elected to a public post or put their candidature before the people.

the marxists of kerala are split along caste lines. even more nowadays, along wealth lines too, i hear. would not be surprised to see atchudanandan's grand daughters attending thalipili at the local bhagavathi temple.

even jyoti basu did not escape corruption. his son is reported to be a millionaire, thanks largely to dad's connections. the younger basus all reside or were educated in the u.s.. while papa basu was bashing away the imperialists.

i have ukrainian friends here who grew up under communism. by and large they are agreed on one thing - that rule under the communists, is akin to rule by the goondas, with kgb being the highest in the hierarchy. not surprsing, when the ussr dissolved, the biggest chunk of the state wealth, transparently passed on to the new capitalist, which were the old kgb.

in this context p.ramammurthy is interesting. he was the son of a landlord, and on receiving his patrimony, gave away freely the lands to the resident laborers who tilled it. and no annual crop bags for the ramamurthi family.

not sure whom he married, but had two daughters, vaigai & ponni,who also became ardent communists, and are true believers to this day.

with apologies for cutting /pasting, i wish to share this piece of tribute by ponni to her father..

In his interview on August 6, 1978 to the Nehru Museum library, Comrade PR recalls how he helped organise the ‘chakiliars’ living around the Parthasarathy Temple, Triplicane, Madras to get voting rights to the Temple Trust, when he found that they wore ‘namam’ a sign of vaishnavites. He educated them to recite ‘Divya Prabhandam’ in the ‘Thenkalai Padhathi’ and helped get donations for the dalits to apply for membership to the Temple Trust. The outraged Brahmin Trustees filed a suit in the civil court in Madras and obtained an injunction against the dalits becoming members and claiming voting rights. However, he helped them file an appeal in the High Court, which allowed the appeal. It was a great victory for the dalits and the court decision simply shook the oppressive caste structure. Yet Comrade PR said, “Gandhiji commented upon that in ‘Young India’ as a big achievement for the Harijan cause. I laughed at it. What was the achievement, as if it was a big revolutionary thing.”

P R himself came from an orthodox Brahmin family, but he completely abjured caste and class. My sister Ponni recalls that when she was about ten years old, her teacher saw P R and Thiru Kamaraj come together to our school to pick us up to go home. The next day Ponni was asked by her teacher, “Neenga enna Jathi?” Ponni was foxed and could not answer. When she asked our father, he laughed and said “Manitha Jathi”.

yes PR was another brahmin, son of a sanskrit scholar, who shed his caste and ancestrage. however the biggest tribute, was a brahmin hating headlline in one of the dravidian rags, trying to whip up against him due to his caste during the 1972 elections. i think PR lost.

which only shows, that you can shed your caste, but your caste will not shed you. :)

kunjuppu ji,

poor wr, if only he could take a leaf out of the man from gopalapuram !

reading thru the link, it seems he had the perfect credentials, atleast in terms of his dalliances.

of course, we should resist the temptation to indulge in value judgement, especially in personal matters.

wr's end proves the foll :

a) communist parties who claimed to set the standards in politics have degenerated into a corrupt and power hungry party like any other.

b) by choosing to tick off wr for his personal issues, the communist party has just reiterated there is no such thing called 'issued based' politics.

c) wr's 'dalit' wife, saraswathy, quite turned out to be a kali. for more details, you may browse thru the postings of your old flame spoilsport aka kavithan. so not necessarily every intercaste marriage works as well as they are imagined to be.

even if i have to run the risk of being thought of a misanthropist, wr's end, even if tragic due to the circumstances and the mode isnt really bad politically.

a commie less in indian political system can only be for the better.

....c) wr's 'dalit' wife, saraswathy, quite turned out to be a kali. for more details, you may browse thru the postings of your old flame spoilsport aka kavithan. so not necessarily every intercaste marriage works as well as they are imagined to be.

hari,

as you are aware i don't go there these days. more out of tiredness of a forum, than anything else.

i tried to look up on my old friend kavithan's notes, but was unable to locate it. does he have a weblog of his own these days?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back