• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

"Ahimsa Paramo Dharma" (अहिंसा परमो धर्मः ) : great theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that way even many people make a living tru the tobacco industry and smoking is hazardous to health.

So if we encourage people to quit smoking the people whose livelihood depends on tobacco cultivation will suffer.

That way anything and everything is a never ending story.

Thats why I said in my earlier post that each one of us has a different mind set and follow the path that suits us best.

Comparing my questions to this one is not apt, dear Renu. The thing that you have listed above is totally a different issue. Its the issue of existence of Evil and a source of Survival through this Evil. :)

Mr. Ozone & Mr. Ravi,
You can not live without harming some thing living. We breath air some germs and bacteria are ingested and destroyed. Even Vegans eat plants. So to say that one lives without harming something or someone else is not possible. The best we can do is that try to do the least harm.

Comparing my questions to this one is not apt, dear Renu. The thing that you have listed above is totally a different issue. Its the issue of existence of Evil and a source of Survival through this Evil. :)

Dear Ravi,

What evil are you talking about here?
I didnt say its evil but I said for a spiritual aspirant he/she should try to practise Ahimsa as much as possible where he/she can.

I rest my case.

Dear Ravi,

What evil are you talking about here?

The Evil that you have listed out in your post #26 -

In that way even many people make a living tru the tobacco industry and smoking is hazardous to health.

So if we encourage people to quit smoking the people whose livelihood depends on tobacco cultivation will suffer.

That way anything and everything is a never ending story.

Thats why I said in my earlier post that each one of us has a different mind set and follow the path that suits us best.

I was telling in my post #27 that, comparison of honoring the silk industry and its consumption by society with the Evil existing in the society, as you have detailed above, is not opt.

Dear Doctor

Maybe. Jains drink only boiled water. They are not supposed to use razor/scissors to shave their stubs or cut their hairs. Jain munis are perhaps practising this. With all their high principles, how come they are richer than other people. Being born here everybody lives not without harming anything or anybody.

Dear Doctor

Maybe. Jains drink only boiled water. They are not supposed to use razor/scissors to shave their stubs or cut their hairs. Jain munis are perhaps practising this. With all their high principles, how come they are richer than other people. Being born here everybody lives not without harming anything or anybody.

the teaching is limited only to animals, but not humans. not to mention stock market scams

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Doctor

May be they are more determined and hard working..thats why they are rich.

Do we expect anyone steeped in religion to be without any money?
As long he/she earns it in a dharmic way that money is Halal.
Money in the hands a of good person is beneficial cos he/she will help society by projects and charity.

Last edited:
The Evil that you have listed out in your post #26 -

I was telling in my post #27 that, comparison of honoring the silk industry and its consumption by society with the Evil existing in the society, as you have detailed above, is not opt.

ravi i really dont get what you are trying to say..please go tru what I wrote in my previous post..you didnt understand what I wrote I feel.

Anyhow I do not want to discuss further on this wearing silk thing.
For me its a matter of preference if a person want to adopt a Sattva lifestyle he/she should try to avoid using things that take up lives.

That way a non veg person can argue that he/she only takes one life of a chicken to feed his family of five but someone else takes thousands of lives of silk worm to wear a pattu saree despite being a strict vegetarian.

So you see..each one can argue the way they want.

Just my last line:Not many people can divorce culture from Ahimsa/Religion.

I have no problems with anyone wearing silk..that was just my opinion with regards to Ahimsa.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Such issues are difficult to answer or interpret. The degree of acceptance or adherence to principles will depend on the individuals' level and progress in the path he has chosen.

1. If jains boil water, then the bacteria and micro organisms are killed, assuming the water was filtered with a muslin cloth to save insects. The monks follow a very rigorous discipline, the common folk are content to follow the basics - non killing, not eating root vegetables and eating before sunset. Recently, jains business association, asked its members not to attend or give parties after sunset. Many marwaris warned birla not to sell non veg items in its supermarket chain - more. Amban's reliance fresh stores do not stock non-veg items in the same premises[ they are sold in a separate adjacent shop.

2. My parents stopped wearing leather chappls long ago; fortunately rubber chappals replaced these. I know many who avoid hand bags made of leather. I was told that the deer skin used by the mutt heads only when confirmed that it is from a dead and not a killed animal. Anyway most are bequeathed and not acquired.

3. There are many who avoid silk sarees. Silk is a big industry, there are more for than against, accepted by temples, bought in bulk by NRIs.

ravi i really dont get what you are trying to say..please go tru what I wrote in my previous post..you didnt understand what I wrote I feel.

Anyhow I do not want to discuss further on this wearing silk thing.
For me its a matter of preference if a person want to adopt a Sattva lifestyle he/she should try to avoid using things that take up lives.

That way a non veg person can argue that he/she only takes one life of a chicken to feed his family of five but someone else takes thousands of lives of silk worm to wear a pattu saree despite being a strict vegetarian.

So you see..each one can argue the way they want.

Just my last line:Not many people can divorce culture from Ahimsa/Religion.

I have no problems with anyone wearing silk..that was just my opinion with regards to Ahimsa.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Such issues are difficult to answer or interpret. The degree of acceptance or adherence to principles will depend on the individuals' level and progress in the path he has chosen.

1. If jains boil water, then the bacteria and micro organisms are killed, assuming the water was filtered with a muslin cloth to save insects. The monks follow a very rigorous discipline, the common folk are content to follow the basics - non killing, not eating root vegetables and eating before sunset. Recently, jains business association, asked its members not to attend or give parties after sunset. Many marwaris warned birla not to sell non veg items in its supermarket chain - more. Amban's reliance fresh stores do not stock non-veg items in the same premises[ they are sold in a separate adjacent shop.

2. My parents stopped wearing leather chappls long ago; fortunately rubber chappals replaced these. I know many who avoid hand bags made of leather. I was told that the deer skin used by the mutt heads only when confirmed that it is from a dead and not a killed animal. Anyway most are bequeathed and not acquired.

3. There are many who avoid silk sarees. Silk is a big industry, there are more for than against, accepted by temples, bought in bulk by NRIs.

PVC handbags are even more beautiful than leather ones and last longer too.
They come in real trendy colors too and cost much less too.
Even ladies shoes are mainly PVC these days.
Leather car seats can be replaced by fabric types or even PVC.

Of course one's riches are one's own fruit. Hand cart puller strains his nerves to earn his daily bread. He will never become rich. He has to learn the trick of making fast money in the process he would have hurt thousands/lakhs of people. Ends do not justify the means. If a stock price is, say, Rs.100, it could be worth double, inflation etc. law of demand and supply, etc. could make it to Rs.500. But how it becomes Rs.10,000. By sheer manipulation. But these are all okay in the world of finances. But I doubt god has separate laws for separate people. We know the story of Bhagirathan who brought ganges to earth but had to pay by sweat of his own labour to ultimately succeed. Of course, these are meaningless talk., But there is no harm in refreshing our minds.

PVC handbags are even more beautiful than leather ones and last longer too.
They come in real trendy colors too and cost much less too.
Even ladies shoes are mainly PVC these days.
Leather car seats can be replaced by fabric types or even PVC.​

Smt Renukaji:
Agreed. You know all pvc making units are health hazards. The thinnest polythene bags cause havoc during monsoon. Being not-bio-degradable, it seems they should be carried out far into the space as we may soon be short of space for dumping them. There is no end to consequential problems. We are left to choose the bad from the worse and the worst.

So, it is preferable to use jute/ coir handbags or such with plant origin. In maharashtra, plastic carrier bags are not given free in supermarkets (govt. order); many carry jute bags and save a few rupees. Fancy jute/ coir handbags costing a few hundred are also available.

There is a waste recycle plant near chennai (tv program) which extracts fuel oil from plastic.

Glass - mineral raw material (sand), recyclable but high energy intensive to produce
Plastics - mineral raw material, recyclable, less energy intensive, cheap
Leather - animal origin, may or may involve killing, polluting processing, affordable
Natural fibres - jute, cotton, paper etc. - satvik, renewable raw material, recyclable, relatively cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back