• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Advaita and Its Fallacies

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I would like to know whether karma can arise without vritti? If no, from where vritti emanates? May I know the meaning of word "apouresheya" and how it came about? What is the significance of Dakshinamurthy for seeking clarifications to doubts?
Karma, as understood normally -- something that gets somehow attached to an entity called "jeeva" and that karma accompanies the jeeva through innumerable births -- is nothing more than religious dogma. The term "apouresheya" is normally used to refer to another religious dogma that Vedas are un-authored. I am not sure what the significance of your third question is. Since Dakshinamurthy you are referring to is a deity, this again falls under religious dogma.

The questions raised are valid. They are not concepts beyond comprehension. If one starts out without an a priori conviction, you will see that the edifice of Advaitam comes crashing down due to the weight of its own internal contradictions.

Cheers!

Advaita

Dear Swami,

Shri sangom started this thread about two months ago. So far, eleven members, listed below, have participated in this thread trying to answer the fallacies in Advaitam Shri Sangom presented.

rakeshinnovation
StudentofVihe
vikrama
KRN
Iyyaarooraan
pannvalan
Mohan Parasuram
aramakrishnan1
SwamiTaBra
Nachi Naga
kahanam

Unfortunately, none of them even attempted to answer the basic questions that were raised. Instead, the answers have been of the form (i) it has to be experienced, (ii) only truly evolved people can understand it, (iii) answers can be found in this book or another, (iv) this acharya or another has explained it, (v) asking these questions about advaitam is like a blind man etc., etc.

After 10 pages and nearly 100 responses, not a single response even attempted to answer the questions directly. With due respects to you and to Ramana Maharishi (RM), the answers of RM you have cited are completely irrelevant to the issues raised. I am really disappointed. Even worse is, instead of discussing the issues raised, one member appealed to the moderators to change the title of the thread.

Anyway, even the responses of RM you have provided, the ones that in no way addresses the issues raised, are mere unsustainable declarations. They may appeal to those who are already well predisposed to what they think as "spiritual". But, if one looks at these responses a little deeper with a skeptical and rational mind, they are far from satisfactory. I give below some of these untenable declarations of RM.

• You are beyond will and fate. Abide as that and you transcend them both.
  • I was in the past and shall be in the future.
  • Finding this ‘I’ to be pure Consciousness beyond action and enjoyment, freedom and happiness are gained.
  • There is then no effort, for the Self is perfect and there remains nothing more to gain.
  • So long as there is individuality, one is the enjoyer and doer. But if it is lost, the divine Will prevails and guides the course of events.
  • The individual is perceptible to others who cannot perceive divine force.
  • Restrictions and discipline are for other individuals and not for the liberated.
  • The fire of wisdom consumes all actions.
  • those who have known the truth of this mind have thereby separated themselves from fate and free will and will not hereafter become entangled with them again.
  • In other words,fate and free will appear to exist only so long as our mind appears to exist, but when we scrutinise this mind and thereby know the truth that it does not really exist, fate and free will will also cease to exist.
Except that RM is a widely revered ascetic, is there any basis to accept the above statements? Can you tell me, without appealing to the authority of who made these statements, why they have any validity?

Cheers!

Shri Naraji
May I have your indulgence please:
The people had quoted relevant excerpts or opinions or related some other works which were appealing to them and thought or would have thought they would satisfy the questioner. As luck would have it, the references and quotes have not answered the minds. Obviously, the references themselves have failed to satisfy them, may be, because of their predisposed conviction that what they hold is only right which the title itself betrays. This had been hinted in my previous posts. An atheist will brush aside all this talk as rubbish.

Maintainability of ‘advaita’ philosophy will rest with those who believe in it and those who understand it in their own way. But why, rather it can sustain itself on its own. Various philosophies are rungs in the same ladder to reach and become The One. Advaita is the last and top rung. Others are essential catalysts or facilitators. For instance, we see people telling some expired person has reached his ‘vaikuntavaasam’. Let us suppose the person has reached ‘vaikuntavaasam’. Will it be possible for the person to jump the top rung to attain the bliss? He could be a smaartha, vaishnavite, a non-brahmin or even a pariah. It is here the ‘advaita’ works but it cannot be applied in a day-to-day life though it may flash in the mind of the believer. If god is one and you are different, where did you come from? “That is whole, this is whole, when the whole is taken out of the whole, the whole still remains the whole.” How is it possible?

Let me reiterate that no philosophy works in actual life however well you may pretend to follow. Nobody knows the alpha and omega. Which came first, the egg or the hen, is still the question. The mind is the ego and core of the Maaya. To say there is god, or there is no god, to say this philosophy is right, or that one, is itself a manifestation of that egoistic mind which is part of this Maaya. Yes restrictions and discipline is for the individuals caged in the Maaya, and the liberated is truly liberated.

The following sloka will again agitate the mind of the questioner, but I cannot help quoting it:

Bhavadvaitam sada kuryatkriyadvaitam na karhichit
Advaitam thrishu lokeshu nadvaitam guruna sah.

[FONT=&quot]I have read in more than one place that perception is the only key but it cannot satisfy a material mind. It is our parents or their parents who told us that there is god. Otherwise, we would have grown hundred per cent as material men. And we have, at least some of us, developed that idea of god and weaved ourselves into an irretrievable and conflicting thoughts. And let us choose a simple one and understand it. [/FONT]

.....Obviously, the references themselves have failed to satisfy them, may be, because of their predisposed conviction that what they hold is only right which the title itself betrays. This had been hinted in my previous posts. An atheist will brush aside all this talk as rubbish.
Dear Shri Iyyarooraan,
The above comment does not add any value to the discussion. If I am unreasonably holding on to predisposed convictions then I welcome you to expose me, by presenting cogent and logical arguments. I have been following this thread pretty closely, and so far nobody has taken the questions raised head on. The responses have been very general and often completely irrelevant. If you think you have provided answers that resolve the fallacies, please give me the post numbers so that I can go back and read them again.

In the absence of direct rebuttal, the fallacies will have to stand.

Cheers!

Folks,
It is very interesting that this thread starts with a posting from an Islamic site on the philosophical deficiencies of advaitha and the following postings by our esteemed members Sri Sangom Ji and Professor Nara Ji providing support to the silly arguments made by the clearly biased 'scholorship' of the muslim author. I know, the Professor will immediately term my posting as not 'proving' the validity of the advaitha tenet. However, since both of them have raised some interesting points, let me endeavor here, albeit with my limited knowledge of our scriptures to show that advaitha by no means is 'crumbling under it's own weight' as the Professor puts it.

To start with, let me say to Sri Sangom Ji, that advaitha is not just a 'philosophy' as one would understand that term from the western perspective of that discipline. Unlike the western philosophies, advaitha (or for that matter other sampradhayams under Hinduism) is not just content to describe the material life, but goes beyond that and shows how 'Sat Chit Ananda' is obtained. In that sense the apriori of all Sampradhayams in Hinduism are the same - how to achieve salvation, whatever may be that salvation is as illustrated by the Vadanta and interpreted within the scope of the Sruthis.

So, first of all, one should realize that Shankara's interpretation of Brahma Sutra using Nyaya can not be contested. It can be questioned on it's merits (as many have done, including Ramanuja and Madhvacharya), but the fundamentals of advaitha are based on the Truth of the Sruthis. Now one need not accept the Sruthis as the Truth (as perhaps Professor Nara Ji is liable to do) and so in this case not only advaitha but other sampradhayams as well can be dismissed as fallacies.

If one accepts the premise of the validity of Sruthis, then one can look at the seeming contradictions contained within advaitha and question them. As a simple person with a simple mind, to me there were two main arguments about advaitha - one about the much maligned 'Maya' concept and the other perhaps not limited only to advaitha - the Karma theory, discussed in this thread. Let us examine these two concepts.

1. 'Maya': To explain this concept one has to agree that there is no explanation as to WHY the material universe is created - the best any religion or science offers in this realm so far is that 'it is just so'. On this topic what Hinduism offers is as good - it is God's Leela. So if one accepts this conditional knowledge then there is no schism in Shankara's postulation of Maya. Maya is not 'illusion' as what people usually think of an illusion. It is as real as a snake as perceived by a witness who mistakes it for a rope. As much as the witness would behave seeing the 'snake', so would a person living in the material world would behave thinking that the world is 'real'. But since the reality is the rope, that is the underlying jeevatma, this concept comes in. Why is this maya then? We have to attribute it to His Leela, as the 'illusion' of identifying the ephemeral to the constant is the condition of the mind. Advaitha does not negate the material world, as folks who do not understand this idea commonly believe. It is stated mainly to 'discriminate' between what is real versus unreal (as the sadhana of jnana yoga prescribes and a form of it is what Ramana Maharishi taught as to ask 'Who am I?') to facilitate one to reach Nirvana. I am sure both of my erudite friends here have read Shankara's Tattva Bodha to understand this argument better.

2. Karma theory is a central tenet of Hinduism, without which none of the Sampradhayams would exist. There are two points to remember here. 1) Karma is not attached to the Jeevatma - it is rather attached to the 'mind proclivities' of that athma (the ’enveloped’ jeevathma is still in the maya state). Once that envelope is gone through true knowledge, all karma is gone. Otherwise as the jeevathma's mind evolves over several births, eventually all karma is washed away and nirvana is obtained. This is done because over several births, the person learns to be detached from his/her righteous action and then no karma is generated. 2) Hinduism has the concept of evolution to a human being by the evolving consciousness, unlike the abrahamic religions. Only when an entity is self concious, free will is obtained and karma starts to accumulate to the 'mind'. So, how it starts in the first place is an irrelevant question that does not comprehend it's origins.

One more thing. The reason many folks embraced Visishtadwaitham as well as Dwaitham, is not because of any ‘deficiencies’ of preceding sambradhayam in concept, but because, Bhakthi replaced the strict Jnana marga as the latter requires an evolved mind to understand – to wit, the Paramahamsa allowed only one of his desciples to learn advaitha, viz. Swami Vivekananda.

If I have not addressed any other details, please let me know.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
...To start with, let me say to Sri Sangom Ji, that advaitha is not just a 'philosophy' as one would understand that term from the western perspective of that discipline. Unlike the western philosophies, advaitha (or for that matter other sampradhayams under Hinduism) is not just content to describe the material life, but goes beyond that and shows how 'Sat Chit Ananda' is obtained. In that sense the apriori of all Sampradhayams in Hinduism are the same - how to achieve salvation, whatever may be that salvation is as illustrated by the Vadanta and interpreted within the scope of the Sruthis.
Shri KRS,

It is necessary to keep in mind that even the ancient western philosophy had as its objectives, understanding the fundamental causes and principles of the universe; explaining it in an economical way; the epistemological problem of reconciling the diversity and change of the natural universe, with the possibility of obtaining fixed and certain knowledge about it; questions about things that cannot be perceived by the senses, such as numbers, elements, universals, and gods.
Thus, they also perhaps started with more or less the same ideas. But it is true that the western philosophy as such has morphed very much and the question of final emancipation no longer occupies the central attention. This may be due to the spread of christianity, in which the final goal of humans is a very sharply defined set of items – heaven, hell, the purgatory, eternal damnation.

Granting that the Indian darSanas are more about salvation – which itself is an imaginary idea, incidentally, still each of the darSanas went about it in a logical way mostly by convincing the intellect, and not by edicts or decrees, coupled with punishments for any heretical opinion. It was exactly due to this need for convincing the opponents that all the Acharyas have had to write bhAshyas, which are commentaries or explanatory works.

Another important point which is of great relevance in this context is that the rigveda which is considered as the fountain head of all of our religion, scriptures, philosophies, etc., does not envisage anything which resembles the idea of “mOksha” – final emancipation, much less is there any reference to rebirth, karma, etc. In a way, if one reads rigveda without any preconceived ideas, the picture of the rigvedic people is one of cheerful people who loved life and bestowed very little attention to any next birth, had no predilection for “karma” etc. You will find their spirit echoing in the oft-heard line “Satam jeevema SaradassuveerAH”, “bhavAma SaradaSSatam, nandAma SaradaSSatam, mOdAma Saradassatam, prabravAma SaradaSSatam, ajeetAsyAma SaradSSatam” (the Sandhyavandana mantra), and prayer to live happily and in good health for hundred autumns alongwith sons and grandsons, etc. cArvAka probably echoed these rigvedic sentiments only, in his lines, “yAvajjeevEt sukham jeevEt riNam kritvA ghritam pibEt” but he denounced the sacrificial system and the priesthood which benefitted from it immensely, which caused his death and near extermination of whatever his ideas were.

Therefore, whatever Sruti pramANas are adduced in support of the different darSanas under the vEdAnta category have to be viewed keeping this background information as well.

It is mainly because people (I mainly refer to the brahmin population in general) do not have knowledge of Sanskrit, and also of our scriptures, that a stage has now come that anything and everything which someone claiming to be spiritually evolved, brahmajnAni, etc., (in most cases these greatness are bestowed on these people but otherwise not evident from their accounts) say as their spiritual advice/s is swallowed by a vast gullible public without any question and people even swear for the truth of such words, as though they have experienced it, but not many will honestly say that they have experienced it.

So, first of all, one should realize that Shankara's interpretation of Brahma Sutra using Nyaya can not be contested. It can be questioned on it's merits (as many have done, including Ramanuja and Madhvacharya), but certain fundamentals of advaitha are based on the Truth of the Sruthis. Now one need not accept the Sruthis as the Truth (as perhaps Professor Nara Ji is liable to do) and so in this case not only advaitha but other sampradhayams as well can be dismissed as fallacies.

If one accepts the premise of the validity of Sruthis, then one can look at the seeming contradictions contained within advaitha and question them
This is somewhat confusing to my limited intelligence. First you say that Sankara’s interpretation of brahma sutra cannot be contested; it is not clear whether it is a condition you are putting to others who may be posting in this thread, or whether it is just your opinion about the brahmasutra bhashya of Sankara. If it is the former, I would request you affix your seal of moderator so we will abide by it; if it is the latter, while you are free to have this view, Ramanuja, Madhva, Bhaskara, Yadavaprakasa, Kesava, Nilakaņţha, Vallabha, Vijnanabhikshu, Nimbarka, Baladeva Vidyabhushana, (the last one is the only non-brahmin to write a bhashya) did contest the bhashya of Sankara and questioned his very interpretation of brahmasutras in the advaitic mode. That itself shows that the brahmasutras, being too cryptic, could have different interpretations. Moreover the authorship of brahma sutras itself is a contested topic.

Whether one accepts Sruti pramANas or not, will not, in my opinion, come into the consideration of the main question which is, “which of these sampradAyas or darSanas is more logical and convincing to the intellect, since, as already stated, the commentaries of the Acharyas was an unmistakable sign that they wanted to “convince” by means of arguments and, since the people of those times were particular about a philosophy being in tune with – and not transgressing, the Srutis, they cited those Sruti statements for ready appreciation by the opponents. The darsanas are not mere interpretations of Sruti. They are separate ‘philosophies’ if we may use that term for the sake of convenience. Hence the argument contained in the last two sentences in the quote, is not relevant at all, according to me.

As a simple person with a simple mind, to me there were two main arguments about advaitha - one about the much maligned 'Maya' concept and the other perhaps not limited only to advaitha - the Karma theory, discussed in this thread. Let us examine these two concepts.
1. 'Maya': To explain this concept one has to agree that there is no explanation as to WHY the material universe is created - the best any religion or science offers in this realm so far is that 'it is just so'. On this topic what Hinduism offers is as good - it is God's Leela. So if one accepts this conditional knowledge then there is no schism in Shankara's postulation of Maya. Maya is not 'illusion' as what people usually think of an illusion. It is as real as a snake as perceived by a witness who mistakes it for a rope. As much as the witness would behave seeing the 'snake', so would a person living in the material world would behave thinking that the world is 'real'. But since the reality is the rope, that is the underlying jeevatma, this concept comes in. Why is this maya then? We have to attribute it to His Leela, as the 'illusion' of identifying the ephemeral to the constant is the condition of the mind. Advaitha does not negate the material world, as folks who do not understand this idea commonly believe. It is stated mainly to 'discriminate' between what is real versus unreal (as the sadhana of jnana yoga prescribes and a form of it is what Ramana Maharishi taught as to ask 'Who am I?') to facilitate one to reach Nirvana. I am sure both of my erudite friends here have read Shankara's Tattva Bodha to understand this argument better.
(I had commenced writing an answer to Shri Mohan’s post but could not complete it due to my poor typing ability. I copy & paste the same and request Shri Mohan to consider this as my observations in reply to his posts.)

It is possible under the influence of maya, the individual souls have forgotten theiridentity. Having fogotten ones true idendity, the individual souls identify themselves with the body and with that theindividual souls carryout actions as I have done this and that which has developed attachments. When one identify oneselfwith the body, all actions bound create karma effect. Base root of all souls may be one and the same, but when one start idendifying oneself with the body, it becomes individuals who is doing the karmas. It is said the evolution of the individualsouls are a long and ardous process extending into cycles after cycles, from various yonis and to human bodies. In this longprocess one gathers karmas according to ones actions. When the understanding comes that the body is merely an instrumentwhich undergoes the experiences, but the soul is merely the witness, at that stage the attachment may not arise.

Rgds,
Mohan

Shri Mohan,

To my limited understanding ability, except that the aspect, "It is possible under the influence of maya, the individual souls have forgotten their identity." there seem to be nothing new in what you have stated above and all are covered by the bulleted items given by Shri Nara in his post #96.

As regards the concept of "mAyA" it is one of the or perhaps the, most challenged aspect of advaita. Sankara introduced the concept of "adhyAsa" in his famous "adhyAsa bhAshya" which is an introduction to his brahmasUtra bhAshya. He also used the words “adhyArOpa” , “avidyA”, “mAyA”, etc., to refer to a phenomenon in which the ‘jeevAtma’ (or, individual soul) loses the knowledge that it is but the parabrahman, or the only reality without a second (this is exactly what the word ‘advaitam’ means) and starts thinking that this world is real.

This concept of the One reality which is devoid of any ‘guNa’ or characteristic whatsoever, is the corner stone of advaita. Hence it becomes necessary to explain first of all, as to how this seeming universe of myriad objects, shapes, characteristics, etc., came into existence. mAyA is postulated as the reason for this. But so far no one has been able to prove the statement contained in you post, viz., "It is possible under the influence of maya, the individual souls have forgotten their identity." It is to be inferred or just believed without questioning by those who are real advaitins.

rAmAnuja, the propounder of viSishTAdvaita was not satisfied with the advaita theory. He had nAthamuni and his grandson yAmunAcArya, who was rAmAnuja’s preceptor, before him who also criticised the advaita as “mAyA vAda”. rAmAnuja wrote his ‘saptavidha anupapatti’ or seven-fold untenabilities, on advaita. vEdAnta dESika of the 14th century compiled one hundred objections to advaita and that work was known as “Sata dUshaNi”. Shri Nara has already referred to this.

As per Sankara's original adhyAsa bhAshya, the individual Atmans (jivatma, in future) arise out of the parabrahman (brahman, which is the only reality in the entire existence) but right from the start these jivatams are enclosed in a cover of ignorance. Sankara indicated this phenomenon as adhyAsa or adhyArOpa, something which is like a cover or something which exists over the surface.

[FONT=&quot]Granting this for arguments' sake, the critics of advaita starting from nAtHamuni onwards have questioned the origin and locus (location – where is this mAyA located) of mAyA. The rebuttals of the initial criticism took a long time to come, (in fact 20th. century) from the advaitin’s side. In the meantime, the advaita school itself had undergone divisions based on abstruse interpretational details of its various postulates, known as the bhAmati and the vivaraNa schools. Ordinary people have no interest in these matters and that suited the advaitins well, since the inadequacies were known only to the learned circles.[/FONT]
I quote from a web-page of advaita-vedanta.org (The Advaita Vedânta Home Page - Bhamati and Vivarana Schools):

“In his works, SankarAcArya takes a direct approach to the problem of human liberation, and declares that moksha consists in realizing the identity of Atman with the One brahman. This brahman is in fact, all that really IS, and there is no change or multiplicity in It. As for the question, how does the perception of multiplicity arise in the first place, Sankara points to avidyA and mAyA. He does not attempt to explicate avidyA too much, and tells the student not to worry about the logical status of this avidyA, except to recognize that it is responsible for desires (kAma) and action (karma) which lead to bondage (bandha). Therefore, getting rid of the avidyA leads to moksha, which is really not different from the brahman itself.
After his time, avidyA and mAyA became a tough problem for his followers. Sankara described avidyA as anAdi - beginningless. His approach was informed by the well considered notion that searching for the roots of avidyA was itself a manifestation of the very avidyA one was seeking to remove. However, in order to work out the logical implications of various advaitic doctrines, his followers had to pay greater attention to this issue. In course of time, two sub-schools, known as the bhAmatI and the vivaraNa schools emerged within advaita vedAnta. The bhAmatI school takes its name after vAcaspati miSra's commentary on Sankara's brahmasUtra-bhAshya, while the vivaraNa school takes its name after prakASAtman's commentary on padmapAda's pancapAdikA, which is itself a commentary on Sankara's brahmasUtra-bhashya.”

[FONT=&quot]Vachaspati Misra (900–980 CE), just less than 200 years after Sankara. Vachaspati Misra is said to have written a commentary named tattva samIkshA to Mandana Misra’s brahmasiddhi, which is now unfortunately lost to us. Hence we may presume that this was perhaps the view of Mandana Misra, one of the direct disciples of Sankara. The Vivarana school arose from Prakasatman’s commentary by that name, to Padmapada’s Panchapadika; Padmapada, again, is a direct disciple of Sankara himself. Thus, Sankara’s immediate disciples themselves did not know cleary what Sankara was propounding!![/FONT]

To summarise the position regarding mAyA, advaitha accepts that mAyA has a beginning, but it does not come out of something else. advaithins quote upanishads to show that, “mAyAcha avidyAcha svayamEva bhavathi” – maya and avidya arise themselves, without a source or cause; they come out of themselves, its beginning is due to itself- This is rather mysterious. This is inconceivable and critics emphasize the inconceivability, while pro-adviata people say that it is the “glory” of mAyA because mAyA cannot be thought of. Strictly speaking, it has a beginning but its beginning is not due to any other factor and that is the reason why it is called as beginningless. It has a beginning but it does not have another factor for its beginning. That is why it is as if it is called as beginningless.

Whichever position one takes, it is difficult to satisfactorily counter the criticism that if brahman is the only Reality, how come maya or avidya are also like brahman, beginningless, causeless and sourceless?

More difficult is the question about where this maya is located. The bhAmati school says that Avidya has jiva as locus and the conditioned Brahman as content while the vivaraNa school holds that Avidya has the pure (unconditioned) Brahman as locus and content. The problems created by these conflicting and untenable statements are one the major causes for scholarly criticisms on advaita as an untenable darSana.

"God", "Leela" etc., are terms which do not fit in with advaita. advaita holds that this seeming universe is "mithyA" or unreal; as an unreality, perhaps advaita allows it but it negates definitely the reality of it.

2. Karma theory is a central tenet of Hinduism, without which none of the Sampradhayams would exist. There are two points to remember here. 1) Karma is not attached to the Jeevatma - it is rather attached to the 'mind proclivities' of that athma (the ’enveloped’ jeevathma is still in the maya state). Once that envelope is gone through true knowledge, all karma is gone. Otherwise as the jeevathma's mind evolves over several births, eventually all karma is washed away and nirvana is obtained. This is done because over several births, the person learns to be detached from his/her righteous action and then no karma is generated. 2) Hinduism has the concept of evolution to a human being by the evolving consciousness, unlike the abrahamic religions. Only when an entity is self concious, free will is obtained and karma starts to accumulate to the 'mind'. So, how it starts in the first place is an irrelevant question that does not comprehend it's origins.
One more thing. The reason many folks embraced Visishtadwaitham as well as Dwaitham, is not because of any ‘deficiencies’ of preceding sambradhayam in concept, but because, Bhakthi replaced the strict Jnana marga as the latter requires an evolved mind to understand – to wit, the Paramahamsa allowed only one of his desciples to learn advaitha, viz. Swami Vivekananda.
As I said above, the Karma concept is alien to Rigveda. Probably it is the Gita, which is part of Mahabharata a much later entrant into hindu religious lore, which emphasises this. There is, therefore, reasonable grounds to suppose that the doctrine of karma is a borrowal from Buddha’s “kamma”, actions done intentionally and their results, according to Buddhism. Puranas nurture the karma theory extensively and that is how it has found its way into the discussion on advaita also. If the “prasthAnatraya” did not include Gita, perhaps Karma would not have found a place in any of these vedanta darsanas.

But it is difficult to state how karma starts, given the different opinions among the various advaitic schools. Since mAya is situated in the brahman itself according to the Vivarana School, and it is this mAyA which causes the jiva to perform karma, how is it that brahman alone is exempt from it, unless there is some modification either in the jiva or in the brahman, other than the pure reality (brahman) and mAya?

If we take the bhamati school, it is not clear as to how, when and from where, the jiva gets mAyA.

There are several other points which go towards criticism of advaita. The webpage referred to in my initial post may not be scholastic, but IMO, it does list many such points.

I am glad that Shri KRS has stated that bhakti does not have a place in the advaita system.

Last edited:
Shri KRS,

I forgot to add the following in the above post. (Actually Sankara refers to a rope being mistaken for a snake; if it was otherwise, many would have reached the end of their lives on the spot, instead of reaching brahman!!)

Mistaking a rope for a snake involves misperception and the unreal snake is supposed to last only till the correct knowledge dawns. But the person concerned ought to have had known about a snake (knowledge of the snake) in order for him to fall into such misperception. If he had no idea of a snake at all, he would not have so mistaken. Coming to the advaita view of the external world, the ordinary mind perceives the world (the counterpart of snake) which is in reality the brahman (the rope of the simile). Applying this principle, if the uninitiated mind has had no prior knowledge about this world as it appears to be, it would not have been able to so misconceive. Does this not lead us to the position where a jiva will start mistaking the reality that is brahman as the visible world, right from the very moment of its origin? That requires that the jiva should have had knowledge of this external world (the snake) even before it became a jiva? Such knowledge could have been there only in the brahman, and nowhere else. Hence brahman has to be qualified or saguna. Can this be explained logically within the parameters of advaitic doctrines of Sankara?

Dear Shri KRS, Greetings!
.... the silly arguments made by the clearly biased 'scholorship' of the muslim author.
I am sure the arguments compiled in the web site are biased, they have POV to sell. However, if you think the questions they have compiled are silly then, you need to take each one and present your case. BTW, these questions are not their original contribution, they are just compilation of objections other vaideekas have raised since the inception of Advaitam.

..., but the fundamentals of advaitha are based on the Truth of the Sruthis. Now one need not accept the Sruthis as the Truth (as perhaps Professor Nara Ji is liable to do)
In this discussion what I personally believe has no bearing. If I may paraphrase the above statement, the claim you make is, Advaitam is valid because that is the true purport of Shruti. As a non-believer, I may reject this claim saying why must being the true purport of Shruti make Advaitam valid. But that is not the argument I am making here.

My argument here is, why do you say Advaitam is the true purport of Shruti?

There is a plethora of bhedha shruti and only a handful of abhedha shruti. Why must the abheda shruti alone be given the status of Mahavakhyas? Why must the bhedha shruti be rejected as invalid or superseded, especially when there is a perfectly reasonable way to reconcile these two apparently contradictory types of shrutis?

Further, Adi Shankara argues that only Shruti can be accepted as pramana, because, according to him, pratyaksham and anumanam are fundamentally flawed. For Advaitam to stand, this assumption is crucial, as otherwise, if pratyaksham is to be a pramana as well, one is forced to accept what we see, hear, touch, etc., as authentic, and therefore real, and that would negate Advaitam.

But, this rejection of pratyaksham and anumanam itself causes a problem. To understand the true purport of Shruti, one has to first perceive Shruti and contemplate upon what is said in Shruti. In other words, without the aid of pratyaksham and anumanam, the true purport of Shruti cannot be understood. Just this single internal contradiction brings Advaitam crashing down.

If Advaitam is the true purport of the Vedas, then, two of the three that constitute Prastana Thriam are absurdities. Brhmma Sutras was authored by an unreal entity, and the very idea of omniscient god rendering BG to someone who does not exist, which the omniscient god ought to know, is bizarre to say the least.

Even the analogies often cited, such as the snake/rope analogy, falls flat once unpacked to its core as Shri Sangom has already done.

Leela as the reason for creation is a VA concept, not accepted by Advaitam. As Shri Sangom has stated several times, there is a lot of misunderstanding about Advaitam. Most of the arguments presented in favor of Advaitam, including the claim it is the highest state of bliss, are all VA, not A. Advaitam asserts that the Brhman, the only real entity is pure consciousness with no attributes or differentiating characteristics whatsoever. It is like a single tree, without branches, without leaves, without bark, just an undifferentiated stump. If such an undifferentiated pure consciousness is the reality, then, it is best to go about our business as though that reality does not even exist. For all practical purposes whether such a reality exists or not is of no consequence, which is what all those who subscribe to Advaitam because of the random circumstance of birth, do anyway.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bhakthi is the route to Gnana on the Absolute is how I understood from the writings of our Masters! Even Rajaji says to the effect that Knowledge without Bhakthi is useless tinsel in his introduction to Mrs. MS Subbulakshmi's Vishnu Sahasranamam! Sufi saints are basically Masters who might have realised Advaita in practice. Sri Chandrasekhara Bharathi Maha Swamigal of Sringeri has said that Jeevanmukhthas are not the exclusive privilege of Advaita or of Hinduism. They may be born at various faiths, all over the world. So the concept of "Ulagam Thazhuviya Advaitham"....

.. Even Rajaji says to the effect that Knowledge without Bhakthi is useless tinsel in his introduction to Mrs. MS Subbulakshmi's Vishnu Sahasranamam! Sufi saints are basically Masters who might have realised Advaita in practice. Sri Chandrasekhara Bharathi Maha Swamigal of Sringeri has said that Jeevanmukhthas are not the exclusive privilege of Advaita or of Hinduism. ..
kahanam, if the eminence of the supporters of Advaitam must be the only basis for accepting or rejecting it, then we need not look any further than the first to propose it, namely Adi Sankara. Who can be more eminent than him? So, just citing Rajaji or Sringeri Swami is not sufficient, IMO.

Thanks ...

Sri Nara, Advaitam has existed even prior to Adi Sankara, it so happens that he remains the most prominent proponent of the philosophy!

Sri Nara, Advaitam has existed even prior to Adi Sankara, it so happens that he remains the most prominent proponent of the philosophy!
Shri Kahanam,

Proponents of non-advaita philosophy or tradition were also there before Sankara. Audulomi, Asmarathya, Bhartruprapancha,Brahmadatta, Bhartrumitra, and Bodhayana are some of them. Of these whether Bodhayana is the one referred to as the author of the Sutra of the same name, is not clear to me. But it seems there are brahmins practising Bodhayana sutram but owing allegiance to advaitam.

Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

Since my first post and your response are lengthy, I will respond to relevant points raised by you on Advaitha alone here. Nor will I address your response to Sri Mohan Ji, as that is between you and him.

First, about Rg Veda. I agree that the majority of this Veda contains what you describe. However, this does not mean that that it contains stuff only about the present life. Please read this article that explains the germination of the idea about monism in Rg Veda.
The Development of Atman and Monism in the Rg. Veda.

You have said:
This is somewhat confusing to my limited intelligence. First you say that Sankara’s interpretation of brahma sutra cannot be contested; it is not clear whether it is a condition you are putting to others who may be posting in this thread, or whether it is just your opinion about the brahmasutra bhashya of Sankara. If it is the former, I would request you affix your seal of moderator so we will abide by it; if it is the latter, while you are free to have this view, Ramanuja, Madhva, Bhaskara, Yadavaprakasa, Kesava, Nilakaņţha, Vallabha, Vijnanabhikshu, Nimbarka, Baladeva Vidyabhushana, (the last one is the only non-brahmin to write a bhashya) did contest the bhashya of Sankara and questioned his very interpretation of brahmasutras in the advaitic mode. That itself shows that the brahmasutras, being too cryptic, could have different interpretations. Moreover the authorship of brahma sutras itself is a contested topic.
Sir, when I state my opinions as a contributor, I would never imply that as a Moderator I would prevent anyone to comment on my opinions, as long as they are done within the bounds of civilized behavior as outlined in the Forum guidelines. What I meant by what can not be contested is not Sankara's ontological perspectives, but rather that his process of deducing them are rooted using the Nyaya process which holds that subsequent to the Sruthis, any interpretations must exist beforehand in the Sruthis. BrahmaSutras are but a compendium of Vedanta ideas expressed in the Sruthis. I do not think the authorship of the BrahmaSutras is of no relevance to our discussion here.

You are correct. What Sampradhayam appeals to what intellect is the issue. But, my contention is that's the beauty of our religion. It offers various paths to suit various minds (intellects) and various hearts (emotions) of the seeker. By the way, this is true as well in other religions/philosophies. Monism as a concept exists even in the so called monotheistic religions, from Judaism to Islam (mystical branches). It is just that this concept was not given a proper credence today by the powers that guard the monotheistic dogma in those religions.

To my intellect, Monism is the crown jewel of any theistic concept, as 'experienced' by many 'sages'. Your intellect may be such that you may not accept it. What you term as 'fallacies', I term as your intellect not being ready to really accept the postulates enunciated by this 'dogma', because you are unwilling or unable to see the idea on its own term.

You have said:
Whichever position one takes, it is difficult to satisfactorily counter the criticism that if brahman is the only Reality, how come maya or avidya are also like brahman, beginningless, causeless and sourceless?
Again, as one would accept that the idea of creation has no seeming intent and due to His Leela, so one should see this idea as arising out of the creative process where the Purusha (Consciousness) combines with Prakrithi (Physical Body). This is well depicted in the Hindu mythology of the creation of the Universe and all life (sentient) as represented by Prajapathi. Why does Maya arise? We can only say that it does and as evidenced by the fact that the humans identify themselves with the body/ego/mind/senses which the idea of Brahman/Atman disputes. This is the avidya. To me this makes sense.

You have said:
More difficult is the question about where this maya is located. The bhAmati school says that Avidya has jiva as locus and the conditioned Brahman as content while the vivaraNa school holds that Avidya has the pure (unconditioned) Brahman as locus and content. The problems created by these conflicting and untenable statements are one the major causes for scholarly criticisms on advaita as an untenable darSana.
These interpretations of the location of Maya to me has no real value and one has to remember that Advaitha as a concept has evolved over time, thus offering different scholostic interpretations. By the way who has argued that this is an untenable darsana? Again, to my intellect, these splitting hair discussions are just that - of no importance.

You have said:
God", "Leela" etc., are terms which do not fit in with advaita. advaita holds that this seeming universe is "mithyA" or unreal; as an unreality, perhaps advaita allows it but it negates definitely the reality of it.
Not true sir. The concept of Ishwara (the Saguna concept of Brahman or personal God is very much within the concept of Advaitha. So is the concept of creation where 'Leela' as a concept is very much accepted. I used the word 'God' interchangeably with 'Brahman' for clarity. Looks like, instead of clarity, it has created confusion.

Now regarding the Karma concept and its associated concept of transmigration concept. It does not matter when and where it started - There are mentions of them in a couple of early Upanishads. Could have been borrowed from Buddhism, however, since Buddha was perhaps a Hindu (definitely knew the Brahminical Hinduism), it is easy for me to believe that Buddhism in fact adopted this concept from Hinduism. Moreover, from Karma Kanda of Yajur Veda, rites for both birth and death of a person are eerily similar, and there have been mentions of an issueless couple to pray forn offspring to ones Pitrus. Regardless, it is true that the Advaitha concept can not exist without Karma and rebirth concepts.

By the way, I did not say that Advaitha does not accept Bhakthi Marga - In fact, the concept of Ishwara as a personal Deity (Ishta Deivatha) is very much a part of Advaitham. I have said only that the central core of the way to liberation is through discrimination and the resulting Jnana while the dualistic concepts are mainly based on Bhakthi.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Professor Nara Ji,

You have said:
"
I am sure the arguments compiled in the web site are biased, they have POV to sell. However, if you think the questions they have compiled are silly then, you need to take each one and present your case. BTW, these questions are not their original contribution, they are just compilation of objections other vaideekas have raised since the inception of Advaitam."

Well, let me put before you the first question raised by the Islamic gentleman, which shows his lack of knowledge of what Maya is and his 'silly' argument. To wit, he says:
If Sankaracharya argues that the world is mere illusion does it not mean that his body, organs of his body, mind and intellect are also illusion? As the mind, which finds the universe illusory, is itself an illusion, does it not mean that the theory of illusion is another illusion? Advaita Philosophy, being a product of the mind, does it not mean that advaita is an illusion. So as a philosophy based on illusion, is not Advaita philosophy, including its theory of world as maya, just another illusion?

This is a childish argument. Sankara never dismisses the world as seen by the mind and senses as 'illusion'. The 'illusion' or more correctly the 'delusion' by the mind to 'think' that the physical world it sees as the 'permanent' one and hence gets locked in Samsara. It has everything to do in terms of attaining Moksha. Not about the reality of the physical world. The physical world is also created by Brahman and hence that itself is not an 'illusion'. It is silly because, the gentleman knows this and persists in world play to try to downgrade the logic of Monism. It is enough to say that this bogus point is his first argument!

I did not say that Advaitham is the sole representation of what is contained in Sruthi. I only say that it is one of many ideas that is valid within the realm of ideas developed in the Sruthis.

You also have said:
Leela as the reason for creation is a VA concept, not accepted by Advaitam. As Shri Sangom has stated several times, there is a lot of misunderstanding about Advaitam. Most of the arguments presented in favor of Advaitam, including the claim it is the highest state of bliss, are all VA, not A. Advaitam asserts that the Brhman, the only real entity is pure consciousness with no attributes or differentiating characteristics whatsoever. It is like a single tree, without branches, without leaves, without bark, just an undifferentiated stump. If such an undifferentiated pure consciousness is the reality, then, it is best to go about our business as though that reality does not even exist. For all practical purposes whether such a reality exists or not is of no consequence, which is what all those who subscribe to Advaitam because of the random circumstance of birth, do anyway.

As I have said the word 'Leela' is used in VA, but the concept to explain creation is the same.
Regarding the red colored assertions on your part - Vow! what a generalization! That too without any solid evidence of behavior by ALL the followers of Advaitha! This shows your prejudicial bent and to describe the concept as a 'tree stump' without any shading! The consequence lies with one's behavior far removed from what the concept demands!

Again, your argument about Pratyaksham, Anumanam and Pramana role in Advaitham is just another argument as the argument raised by the gentleman above. The former two have to be suspended to realize Brahman. Not in terms of understanding what is said in the Sruthis, nor can they be suspended in terms of Brahma Sutra being real. These are strawman arguments that conveniently misdirect.

I do not think that Sri Sangom Ji has demonstrated to me at least anything as a 'fallacy' within the realm of Advaitha principles.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

You make several inferences here based on certain assumptions. First of all you have completely ignored the intermediary between a person and the Nirguna Brahman. It is the Saguna Ishwara, that is the connection between the two and is the part and parcel of Maya projection.

Regards,
KRS
Shri KRS,

I forgot to add the following in the above post. (Actually Sankara refers to a rope being mistaken for a snake; if it was otherwise, many would have reached the end of their lives on the spot, instead of reaching brahman!!)

Mistaking a rope for a snake involves misperception and the unreal snake is supposed to last only till the correct knowledge dawns. But the person concerned ought to have had known about a snake (knowledge of the snake) in order for him to fall into such misperception. If he had no idea of a snake at all, he would not have so mistaken. Coming to the advaita view of the external world, the ordinary mind perceives the world (the counterpart of snake) which is in reality the brahman (the rope of the simile). Applying this principle, if the uninitiated mind has had no prior knowledge about this world as it appears to be, it would not have been able to so misconceive. Does this not lead us to the position where a jiva will start mistaking the reality that is brahman as the visible world, right from the very moment of its origin? That requires that the jiva should have had knowledge of this external world (the snake) even before it became a jiva? Such knowledge could have been there only in the brahman, and nowhere else. Hence brahman has to be qualified or saguna. Can this be explained logically within the parameters of advaitic doctrines of Sankara?

Dear Shri KRS, Greeting!

If I may say so, your understanding of Advaitam is not being discussed. It is Advaitam as presented by Adi Shankara and subsequent followers that is being criticized.

The tree stump analogy I gave is not mine, it is the way Advaitees define it -- I understand this from a discourse on Sri Bhashyam by an eminent SV scholar I followed. Perhaps Shri Sangom can confirm this. If this analogy is wrong, then I will withdraw the analogy, but the point still stands, i.e. if in the final analysis there is only an undifferentiated pure consciousness, which is the central thesis of Advaitam, then what practical use is it for common folks, and they have rightly rejected it in all possible practical ways yet giving it lip service only due to accident of birth in a Smartha family.

Also, the part about pratyaksham and anumanam not accepted as pramana by Adi Sankara is not just my view, Bhagavat Ramanuja states this in the very first chapter of Sri Bashya as the poorva paksha of Adi Shankara, and discusses the import at length. In fact, for Advaitam to stand, even Shruti cannot be accepted as real as that would also negate Advaitam.

The theory about Nirguna and Saguna Brhman is a construct invented by Advaitins, there is no Shruti support for this separation, with the former being ultimate reality and the later being relative reality.

One may subscribe to Advaitam as their preferred philosophy, as you seem to believe. One may feel quite satisfied with the concept of Nirguna and Saguna. But to claim it to be a vaideeka matham, you have to stay true to the Vedas, one has to reconcile bheda and abheda shruti without doing injustice to either of them.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maya

Dear Sirs,

It is said what appears as the worlds and other manifested things is suppose to be due to Maya, but the reality is the Brahman. When one realises this that the body is also due to maya and the truth is the self the atman, one may be relieved of the delution. There is only one and the same truth. In the beginning of the creation, this same truth manifests into purusha and prakirthi
or maya. Futher it is divided into gunas which is responsible for the creation, maintenance and destruction, that is Brahma, Vishnu and Siva and their concerts Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvathi are their maya shakthis. All these manifested forms work to the same goal, to the same end and to the same result. In the ultimate reality there is only one truth.

Rgds,
Mohan

Dear Professor Nara Ji,
My response in 'blue', below.
Dear Shri KRS, Greeting!

If I may say so, your understanding of Advaitam is not being discussed. It is Advaitam as presented by Adi Shankara and subsequent followers that is being criticized.
My knowledge of Advaitham comes from reading Sankara's arguments as well as understanding the teachings of the jeevan mukthas such as Ramana Maharishi as well as other Advaitham practitioners.

The tree stump analogy I gave is not mine, it is the way Advaitees define it -- I understand this from a discourse on Sri Bhashyam by an eminent SV scholar I followed. Perhaps Shri Sangom can confirm this. If this analogy is wrong, then I will withdraw the analogy, but the point still stands, i.e. if in the final analysis there is only an undifferentiated pure consciousness, which is the central thesis of Advaitam, then what practical use is it for common folks, and they have rightly rejected it in all possible practical ways yet giving it lip service only due to accident of birth in a Smartha family.
First of all, the tree stump anology is commonly used to illustrate again how avidya/maya arises. I have never heard of it's import as you suggest in any Advaithin literature that I have read.
Regarding the usefulness of the doctrine to common folks, since when we measure Truth on it's impact on others? Truth is always a Truth, irrespective of its use.

Also, the part about pratyaksham and anumanam not accepted as pramana by Adi Sankara is not just my view, Bhagavat Ramanuja states this in the very first chapter of Sri Bashya as the poorva paksha of Adi Shankara, and discusses the import at length. In fact, for Advaitam to stand, even Shruti cannot be accepted as real as that would also negate Advaitam.
Please read the following post. It articulates and shows how Ramanuja's arguments are false:
On Ramanuja's seven untenables

The theory about Nirguna and Saguna Brhman is a construct invented by Advaitins, there is no Shruti support for this separation, with the former being ultimate reality and the later being relative reality.
This book clearly states the differences between the two realities with explanations:
The seven great untenables: Sapta ... - Google Books

One may subscribe to Advaitam as their preferred philosophy, as you seem to believe. One may feel quite satisfied with the concept of Nirguna and Saguna. But to claim it to be a vaideeka matham, you have to stay true to the Vedas, one has to reconcile bheda and abheda shruti without doing injustice to either of them.
I think that the Advaitham does through the concepts of Brahman and Ishwara. While Advaitham addresses the Truth (Brahman), in my opinion, Visishtadwaitham, as you put it addresses only the Relative Truth. I am not talking about the merits of each Sampradhayam - again based on one's birth and capacity, either of these systems may appeal.

Cheers!

Regards,
KRS

Dear Professor Nara Ji,
My response in 'blue', below.

Regards,
KRS

Dear All,

When we start from a standpoint, certain positions are axiomatic.

May I ask why we take for granted that karma is attached to jiva? This itself can be questioned. Why should we selectively accept some and reject others?

Let's restart the debate with a clean slate. Religious dieties need not be invoked. No one need be quoted, however revered the figure may be. More in the western philosophical traditions and see where we go. Let's not have hangups of our extant literature.

Otherwise all this will degenerate into mud-slinging, which is the last thing we want.
May be we will end up reinventing the wheel, but let it so for clarity.

With regards,
Swami

Last edited:
Dear Sri SwamiTabra Ji,

We are having a civilized debate here. Sorry you think that all this will end up in mudslinging.

Having said that 'let us begin with a clean slate', you seem to jump in the fray by asserting that it is hard to believe why Karma is attached to a Jiva!

Why would you not believe so and what do you base it on? Obviously Karma theory is considered one of the central tenets of Hinduism - so a 'religious conversation' can not be avoided.

Looking forward to your arguments, in the style of western philosophical traditions to refute the Karma theory!

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shri KRS, greetings!

You say VA has some fallacies too, and I readily agree. But, there are fallacies in VA too does nothing to make the fallacies in A go away, does it? So, let us talk about A here. Perhaps a new thread on VA fallacies may be started and I will gladly join the discussion, on your side.

Now, back to Advaita and its fallacies:

The central objection to A is Shruti pramana.
[1] Without the validity of pratyaksham and anumanam how can we trust Shruti?
[2] Why must only abheda shruti be given importance, and not bheda shruti?
[3] Where in Shruti do you have support for the notion that Nirguna Brhman is the ultimate reality and Saguna Bhman is only a relative reality and it is, in the ultimate, no more real than anything else?

Cheers!

Dear Sri SwamiTabra Ji,

We are having a civilized debate here. Sorry you think that all this will end up in mudslinging.

Having said that 'let us begin with a clean slate', you seem to jump in the fray by asserting that it is hard to believe why Karma is attached to a Jiva!

Why would you not believe so and what do you base it on? Obviously Karma theory is considered one of the central tenets of Hinduism - so a 'religious conversation' can not be avoided.

Looking forward to your arguments, in the style of western philosophical traditions to refute the Karma theory!

Regards,
KRS

Sri KRS ji,

Karma theory indeed is very potent to the interest of the believers. I used to have such debate with my Muslim General Manager and get into extreme rebuttal in a friendly manner..

Just want to share with you all here as what I got to know from him and what I could consider myself.

He says, there is nothing about past karma. Its only the present one that we call our deeds and bear the results of our deed in our present life span as rule of the nature (Allah). He says, we are just born due to mating of our parents and that is just their deed. We, after having born, get to learn about the good and bad deeds from our parents, teachers and religious books. As we grow we tend to indulge in both god and bad deeds with or without our own knowledge and bears sweet or bitter fruits out of it. We undergo punishment during our life span some way as a result of our bad deeds or we may not be. But there is something called "Judgment Day" when our soul would be questioned by Allah (or by his representatives) about our bad and good deeds. We can not tell lie, as one of our hand would speak out the reality of what we did wrong with our other hand. Than depending on the tally results of our good and bad deeds, final decision would be taken for granting us either with Heaven or Hell to dwell and experience the impacts of the respective places. Untill the Judgement Day our soul would be put into rest.

They neither believe the existence of our past Janma and its karma Phala nor the possibility of future Janma as per our Present or cumulative karma.

When I asked him, than how about some one suffering physical challenges by birth? Or some one undergoing hardship and losses though being into good deeds? Or living a poor life though out being born in a very poor family? Or some one earning money by hook or crook and living a lavish life through out and could remain satisfied ons self some how? For all these questions he says it is just what Allah has determined to give us and its up to us to accept our life and do good or bad and be prepared to answer on Judgment Day. He says, we cant blame or question Allah for giving us this life as it is his decision..There is nothing about him being cruel with us or something associated with our past life deed.

In Hinduism we believe having previous Janma and possibility of Next Janma and all takes place including the details of events in our current life span as per our collective karma. And thus Karma phala are attached to a Jeevaatma. I personally believe this from what I got to learn so far. I had the opportunity to attend the discourse of Sringeri Sharada Peetam Aacharya in a temple, in 20th year of my age, in the year 1996

In Islam, the almighty Allah is just a term equal to GOD or BHAGWAN, and is formless/unidentifiable, unrecognizable, and can never be able to conclude/determine his form/shape...Its same is NIRGUNA BRAHMAN. And even Prophet Mohamed has not seen the form of Allah.

We have classification of our Bhagwan as Saguna Brahman and Nirguna Brahman. The former has a name, form and other attributes and the later is the Absolute, having no name, form and attributes.

We may not have subtle understanding of what exactly Shruties are implying. As a human, having the capacity/intelligence to evaluate, ponder, reason the statements of our Shruties, we may or may not able to grasp the ultimate fact about Nirguna/Saguna Brahman.

With my limited capacity of understanding, I consider both Nirguna & Saguna Brahman as just one and the same. Its all about how we would like to consider our Bhagwan. Or we can say that Sugna Brahman is within the scope of human understanding of Brhaman and Nirguna Brahman is beyond human perceptions. I may conclude that Saguna / Nirguna Brahman is just one as ultimate reality. Bhagwan Ram & Krishna as per epic stories lived on this Earth among humans in a form and still constitutes the same Nirguna Brahman. Its the time and the reasons that Bhagwan represented himself as Nirguna or Saguna Brahman to us.

In all there is one eternal Supreme Truth (GOD/Bhagwan) whose form is eternal, but who is possessed of different potencies - Svarupa Sakti; Jiva Sakti and Maya Sakti. Many different mutually contradictory powers are present in Lord's potency and will be considered inconceivable.

One need to attain Sookshmam level of understanding like Ramana Maharishi and others alike to understand the true nature of Brahman.

I would consider both Nirguna and Saguna Brahman as one and the same Ultimate Reality.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Shri KRS,

I am compelled to observe that much of the opinions/views which you have expressed are not in Sankara's exposition of advaita, but what it has become now; some concepts like bhakti, Saguna Iswara (a part and parcel of the mAyA) as a connection between jiva and the nirguna brahman, might be, to some extent, later accretions to advaita because it was compelled to make a lot of compromises in order to meet criticism. But in the end, just in the same way mAyA is supposed to cast a veil over the capacity for true perception (or perception of the only Reality) over the jiva, the much-morphed advaita of the day (this is different from what Sankara originally propounded) has cast a veil over a lot of people who implicitly believe that advaita as it now obtains is correct. Your statements like, "What Sampradhayam appeals to what intellect is the issue. But, my contention is that's the beauty of our religion.",
"To me this makes sense.", "Again, to my intellect, these splitting hair discussions are just that - of no importance." reveal that it is the personal preference and not a purely rational analysis and conclusion, which is the basis for your finding advaita as complete and flawless.

But as I tried to explain earlier Sankara, Ramanuja, etc., did not expect to "impress" people in some way and thus capitalize on their personal preference or belief; rather they found it necessary to write exhaustive treatises explaining their philosophies or darsanas, show how the Sruti meant what they were saying and not anything else, and to thus "rationally convince" their opponents. Even then with maNDana miSra, Sankara seems to have had to rely on the help of the supernatural and esoteric, in order to win, thus revealing (to my reasoning) that but for such help Sankara might have been vanquished by maNDana.

So, here I think we should limit ourselves to the rational, logical arguments in support of or against advaita. Prof. Nara has covered many important points which go against advaita as also your views in support of it. I will try my best to cover the remaining points in your posts.

Incidentally, the book "Encyclopaedia of Vedanta Philosophy" (5 Vols.) by Subodh Kapoor, looks to me a good way of knowing about vedanta, including advaita.

Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

You make several inferences here based on certain assumptions. First of all you have completely ignored the intermediary between a person and the Nirguna Brahman. It is the Saguna Ishwara, that is the connection between the two and is the part and parcel of Maya projection.

Regards,
KRS

By your own admission Iswara is part and parcel of the maya's effects. Advaita lays down that all that the maya causes is unreal and one has to break away that ignorance caused by maya. Since the Saguna Iswara is also caused by maya, it follows that all notions about that Iswara has to be unreal because maya cannot, as a matter of fundamental axiom, give rise to a picture of the Reality. Such an Iswara is as unreal as this world and hence it cannot be helpful to one to break away from the fold of maya. If Sankara has stated something differently, kindly give references for my guidance.

First, about Rg Veda. I agree that the majority of this Veda contains what you describe. However, this does not mean that that it contains stuff only about the present life. Please read this article that explains the germination of the idea about monism in Rg Veda.
The Development of Atman and Monism in the Rg. Veda.
I did not say that RV contains only stuff about the present life. FYI, I reproduce my words below:

"Another important point which is of great relevance in this context is that the rigveda which is considered as the fountain head of all of our religion, scriptures, philosophies, etc., does not envisage anything which resembles the idea of “mOksha” – final emancipation, much less is there any reference to rebirth, karma, etc."
Definitely there is mention of death and existence as pitrus in a pitruloka. But no ideas of rebirth or karma.

These are relevant extracts of the article cited above:

"Drawing on primary and secondary sources, I will begin by looking at the notions of monism and atman in order to illustrate how the earlier family books 2-7, show a depiction of the universe that is pre-dominantly polytheistic, making only a few vague references to a monistic absolute. I will then show how the later books 1 and 10 indicate clearer formulations of a monistic principle.

Although it is possible that the later books may have had local influences, there is not enough conclusive evidence to att
ribute these later monistic developments to ‘purely non-Aryan’ sources. The fact that the ‘Aryans’ were probably further influenced by other peoples prior to reaching India also makes any definite historic distinctions between ‘Aryan’ and ‘non-Aryan’ problematic. (Olivelle p. 21-22) Therefore this paper will not be re-affirming or denying the dual origins theory maintained by Ross Reat and Heinrich Zimmer. Instead, I will propose looking at the Vedic tradition as a dynamic and organic phenomenon interacting with and thus being influenced by surrounding cultures without identifying any of the more recent developments as necessarily non-Vedic in origin.

In addition to the first task, this paper will show that there was no explicit emphasis placed the connection between the monistic absolute and atman (as human consciousness) in the Rg. Veda.
While some references to atman imply both a personal or cosmic essence, many other hymns speak of the monistic absolute in terms of cosmogony; an operative principle responsible for the creation of the universe in a past far removed from the consciousness of an individual.

Throughout the Rg. Veda, the human being is defined in terms of the divine, either by a servile relationship to the gods or by a deficient participation in the absolute principle.
The Upanisads differ from this by emphasizing the concept of the absolute as consciousness and thus seek to define the absolute in terms of human consciousness."

You will observe that the author of the article does
not claim that the RV depicts monism in the sense of Sankara's advaita:

"...Unlike the later Upanisads, the Rg. Veda does not make any direct reference to rebirth, and spiritual release, and the term atman is generally portrayed in a more psycho-physical sense as pointed out by Reat.
However these latter references to atman indicate that its occurrence in the Rg. Veda is complicated and eludes any reductive interpretations. Therefore instead of arguing that there was no concept of an immortal soul in the Rg. Veda; it would be more accurate to emphasis that there was no clear articulation of an immortal soul, although the idea is suggested in some passages.

This paper has also identified the development of a vague sense of monotheism within
an otherwise polytheistic framework, leading to a clearer formulation of ontological monism in the later first and tenth book. It has also been shown that the monism in the Rg. Veda differed by its emphasis on the cosmogonic character of the absolute acting as creative force in a distant past, while the Upanisads placed more emphasis on the psychological relation between the absolute and human consciousness."

Hence I do not think it is wrong to say that the Upanishadic monism is a later refinement when the number of devas increased and people started wondering about the reality of all these devas, origin of the universe, etc.

To my intellect, Monism is the crown jewel of any theistic concept, as 'experienced' by many 'sages'. Your intellect may be such that you may not accept it. What you term as 'fallacies', I term as your intellect not being ready to really accept the postulates enunciated by this 'dogma', because you are unwilling or unable to see the idea on its own term.
If advaita convinces your “intellect”, as different from your “mind”, it should be posiible for you to read up what were the original postulations on the basis of which Sankara wrote his brahmasutra bhashya and launched advaita, what all were the criticisms against Sankara’s tenets and how they were refuted, were these refuatations were without any shifting stance/s and whether, even after changing shape, the rebuttals silenced the opponents of advaita or gave rise to further objections (like the winning chess player calling “check” in a game), and what is the present position. I am sorry to say that as Shri Nara has rightly observed, “if in the final analysis there is only an undifferentiated pure consciousness, which is the central thesis of Advaitam, then what practical use is it for common folks, and they have rightly rejected it in all possible practical ways yet giving it lip service only due to accident of birth in a Smartha family.” Practising dvaitam or dualism and claiming that they are advaitins is what is going on, and, towards that end the assistance of everything from Iswara to polytheism to Yoga to samadhi, is claimed to have been allowed by Sankara and advaita vedanta.

Your statement that “you are unwilling or unable to see the idea on its own term” clearly reveals that advaita will not stand independent scrutiny or enquiry and has to be accepted on its own term.

Again, as one would accept that the idea of creation has no seeming intent and due to His Leela, so one should see this idea as arising out of the creative process where the Purusha (Consciousness) combines with Prakrithi (Physical Body). This is well depicted in the Hindu mythology of the creation of the Universe and all life (sentient) as represented by Prajapathi. Why does Maya arise? We can only say that it does and as evidenced by the fact that the humans identify themselves with the body/ego/mind/senses which the idea of Brahman/Atman disputes. This is the avidya. To me this makes sense.
AFAIK, Sankara does not mention any “leela”. You may kindly look into and enlighten me. Prakriti and Purusha are concepts in the Samkhya darsana and Sankara is emphatic that Samkhya (or for that matter) Yoga, is a way to achieve liberation. I quote here from the encyclopaedia referred to above:

“Thus it is evident from the above that Sankara implicitly rejects both the soteriology of yoga, namely, that liberation has to be accomplished through the real dissociation of the purusa from prakriti, and the pursuit towards that end, that is, the achievement of nirvikalpa or asamprajAta samAdhi.

However such a view became blurred in the writings of post-Sankara Advaitins. This can be briefly shown by examining some later prakarana texts. For example, in the fourteenth-century text Pancadasi, we find a mixture of Vedantic and Yogic ideas….”

Here we come across yet another “twist” given to the original advaita of Sankara. It is the result of all such transformations that what originally started with Sankara as “pillaiyar” has by now become… you know what! So it has become easy for those who are not well-informed to express many kinds of opinions and then insist that Advaita is very good. The tragedy is what is now held as advaita has very little relation to Sankara’s original thesis.

So here you are mixing up two systems Samkhya and Advaita, one of which, advaita, tells you to reject the other!

As to the question of creation, I will give the following succint sentence from: Creation Theories in Advaita

“…Thus, provisionally explaining creation in terms of sr.shTi-dr.shTi vAda, and then denying that creation is a real event, by means of ajAti vAda, is the only way traditional advaita vedAntins will handle creation.”

You will observe that there is some acrobatics here; putting forward certain assumptions and denying them subsequently, so to say.

These interpretations of the location of Maya to me has no real value and one has to remember that Advaitha as a concept has evolved over time, thus offering different scholostic interpretations. By the way who has argued that this is an untenable darsana? Again, to my intellect, these splitting hair discussions are just that - of no importance.
It may be correct that the location of maya has no real value to you. But that is because you are not concerned with the real advaita but the spurious entity which goes by that name today. This is further clarified by your statement that “one has to remember that Advaitha as a concept has evolved over time, thus offering different scholostic interpretations” . If, as you say, advaita is a mere concept which has evolved over time, what was the exact role played in it by Sankara and what are we crediting him with this philosophy? I hope you will have to admit that Sankara did not explain advaita vedanta fully and it was left for others to complete the job. But the scholastic world views things differently; they view that advaita as propounded and explained by sankara is the real advaita and all the later transformations are changes deliberately brought about by later advaitins in order to answer criticisms against the original advaita. In this thread what I referred to as fallcies are those insufficiencies or untenabilities which necessitated such changes in advaita during the subsequent periods.

You have asked who says the advaita is untenable? The seven-fold anupapattis brought by Ramanuja are themselves examples of untenabilities in advaita. Vedanta Desika listed 100 such untenabilities in his Satadushani. The location of maya is of utmost importance to those who consider that Sankara had himself completely explained – to the best of his ability – what he considered to be his advaita vedanta and try to see whether it is rationally correct. The problem has been explained by me. But simply because it has no real value to you only means that you are more of a blind believer and advaita is a tenet for you; the irrationality of advaita does not disappear because of that, and those who raise doubts will continue to do so and the advaitin scholars will continue to modify their stance in an effort to answer the critics.

Not true sir. The concept of Ishwara (the Saguna concept of Brahman or personal God is very much within the concept of Advaitha. So is the concept of creation where 'Leela' as a concept is very much accepted. I used the word 'God' interchangeably with 'Brahman' for clarity. Looks like, instead of clarity, it has created confusion.
The concept of Iswara is there but in advaita Iswara does not create the “jagat” for his leela; the leela concept belongs to visishtadvaita only. The advaitic Iswara is born out of different type of necessity, viz., how individual jivas came into being from the nirguna brahman- what was the cause? Pl. see the following:

(Advaita Vedanta)

Hence the advaitic Iswara is there to explain the creation, and to explain the anomaly that arises when advaita says jivatma and brahman are one, (for full details pl.read the above article) but visishtadvaitic Iswara is real and creation is his sport or leela.

As a simple person with a simple mind, to me there were two main arguments about advaitha - one about the much maligned 'Maya' concept and the other perhaps not limited only to advaitha - the Karma theory, discussed in this thread. Let us examine these two concepts.

2. Karma theory is a central tenet of Hinduism, without which none of the Sampradhayams would exist.
In so far as advaita is concerned, neither karma nor upAsana is a means of attaining brahmajnana. Once brahmajnaanam is attained, the sancita karma is destroyed and there is no aagami karma. Only the that portion of prarabdha which is not yet exhausted, continues till the physical body falls. With death, the sukshma and karana sariras are dissolved; there is no rebirth and the jnaani merges with Brahman.

The statement that people learned and others embraced visishtadvaitam / dvaitam because they lacked evolved minds (is it mind that evolves to be able to grasp “jnAna mArga”? Or, is it intellect?) is tantamount to saying those folks were less evolved; a racial sort of remark, IMO. I would be glad to know how you justify this statement with convincing proof to show that those who claim to be advaitins have more evolved minds than those who profess the other vedanta systems.

Coming to Ramakrishna Paramahamsa (RP), he was not a vedantin in its orthodox sense. But it was he who misdirected advaita to the so-called “samAdhi” state with his tantric (not vedic) background, trance-like states, and practicing various disciplines even outside hinduism. Through Vivekananda and the Ramakrishna Mission this samadhi-type of vedanta spread to the westerners as also among the western-educated Indians who considered it fashionable to follow that, in preference to the native advaitins’ instructions.

Now the word “samAdhi” does not appear in any of the upanishads for which Sankara has written commentaries. If samadhi, meditation of the yoga type, etc., were really indispensable to his advaita, Sankara would definitely have introduced it or commented on some upanishad which extolled it, since upanishads are the very source of vedanta. On the contrary Sankara says (in his sutra bhashya 2.1.9) : “Though there is natural eradication of difference in deep sleep and samadhi etc., because false knowledge has not been removed, differences occur once again upon waking just like before.” More about this may be found in the encyclopaedia pp. 1231 onwards.

Dear Professor Ji,
My comments are in 'blue':
Dear Shri KRS, greetings!

You say VA has some fallacies too, and I readily agree. But, there are fallacies in VA too does nothing to make the fallacies in A go away, does it? So, let us talk about A here. Perhaps a new thread on VA fallacies may be started and I will gladly join the discussion, on your side.
Did I miss something? Where did I say that that VA has 'some fallacies'? In fact, I have to admit that I know VA only at the 50000 foot level. As such since all three great sampradhayams are rooted in the Sruthis, I would say that they are all valid. I do not have the capacity to criticize VA and D, as I have not studied them properly. I would never dream of discussing them in detail. I only entered the discussions about A with trepedition, because I felt that the issues raised were not properly and directly addressed

Now, back to Advaita and its fallacies:

The central objection to A is Shruti pramana.
[1] Without the validity of pratyaksham and anumanam how can we trust Shruti?
I have answered this already and it has been discussed in both the external sources I have posted. Again the suspension of these only applies to the process of removing avidya to realize the nature of Atman. Sankara never applies to understanding the Sruthis. In fact he asserts that one needs these to properly understand what is said in the Sruthis. I think your confusion comes in because you don't seem to understand the three stage reality as described by Sankara. One is applying to Avidya to the inappropriate levels. Please read the following:
Advaita Vedanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[2] Why must only abheda shruti be given importance, and not bheda shruti?
Because Sankara's intent was to gather together all different then existed advaitham concepts and present them coherently. He starts with the axiom that Paramatma is supreme and real. Add to it the Nirguna concept of the Sruthis, then the abheda fits in. Bheda is also addressed in the concept of Ishwara.
[3] Where in Shruti do you have support for the notion that Nirguna Brhman is the ultimate reality and Saguna Bhman is only a relative reality and it is, in the ultimate, no more real than anything else?
Many of the Mahavakyas attest to the Nirguna Brahman as the ultimate Brahman. The famous 'Neti, neti...' saying about Atman also shows that the underlying Truth is Nirgua (in the eyes of Sankara). I can not point to one verse and show that Nirguna is the 'ultimate' Truth as opposed to 'Saguna' Brahman (I do not have that knowledge). But I can deduce this fact indirectly as the Brahma Sutra interpretations suggest that the Jeeva which accumulates merit after worshipping the Saguna Brahman goes to one of the lokhas and eventually merges in to the Nirguna Brahman at the end of the Universe or when it realizes its true identity as Atman. Sankara's position on this is that a person can achieve this in his/her present life on earth by following the Jnana marga. Please read the above posted source to get more info. on this.

Cheers!

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

Again, for the sake of saving space, I will comment on pertinent passages from your above posting. Again thank you for putting up with dimwits like me - I know you are a scholor and I am self admittedly not one. However I will try to be cogent.

Firstly, let me do away with your perception: You have said:

The statement that people learned and others embraced visishtadvaitam / dvaitam because they lacked evolved minds (is it mind that evolves to be able to grasp “jnAna mArga”? Or, is it intellect?) is tantamount to saying those folks were less evolved; a racial sort of remark, IMO. I would be glad to know how you justify this statement with convincing proof to show that those who claim to be advaitins have more evolved minds than those who profess the other vedanta systems.
Oh, no sir. If you read my statement carefully, I do not say that people who follow the Advaitha Sampradhayam are 'more' evolved than the followers of other two. My import was to counter your argument that other Sampradhayams grew because of Advaith'a deficiency. My response and the implied meaning was that Advaitha is ahard and necessarily limiting in terms of sadhana (Jnana Yoga), while the other two are Bhakthi based, thus more attractive to the masses. In fact, as Professor Nara Ji pointed out, the advaithic concept is not followed by many folks who are it's 'followers'. The 'evolved' mind is to say that people like Vivekananda, Ramana Maharishi etc., are the ones who could understand the philosophy and apply it properly. I apologize if my words come across as though I mean disrespect to other Sampradhayams. In fact, in the past as a Moderator here, I have dealt with anyone here very harshly when unsubstantiated and hateful words were spoken against any Sampradhayam.

You have said:
So, here I think we should limit ourselves to the rational, logical arguments in support of or against advaita. Prof. Nara has covered many important points which go against advaita as also your views in support of it. I will try my best to cover the remaining points in your posts.
Sir, again, tell me when I have replied to your and Professor Nara Ji's criticism of Advaitha by not answering them properly? Yes, I am predisposed to Advaitha, but at the same time, it seems to me that my arguments based on the structure of that philosophy seems to have been not addressed properly, with the same points being raised again and again without any consideration to the merits of what I have posted.

Now regarding what Sankara postulated and 'advaitha' as it is followed today: We all know that Sankara defeated Mandan Misra on the point of following the Purva Mimamsa without the concept of Ishwara. Sankara proved that that is not so. So, one can very well see what Sankara's position on Ishwara was. Yes, Ishawara is perceived through the mind and so, 'knowing' this entity does not lift the avidhya completely. But Sankara also says that Nirguna and Saguna Brahmans are not different entities, they are one and the same - Saguna is nothing but Nirguna with attributes. As the world is real within the concept of material world, so is Ishwara is real within that context. This is why the practice of Purva Mimamsa is incorporated as a part of sadhana as envisioned by Sankara, even though that is only an intermediate step. I will read the five volume set as you suggest on advaitha.

Now regarding Rg Veda - I agree with the point that monism is not defined there. However my point was that the idea of such an idea has the germination there and as we know was refined elaborated later. As the paper I posted suggests, "Therefore instead of arguing that there was no concept of an immortal soul in the Rg. Veda; it would be more accurate to emphasis that there was no clear articulation of an immortal soul, although the idea is suggested in some passages. "

You have said:
If advaita convinces your “intellect”, as different from your “mind”, it should be posiible for you to read up what were the original postulations on the basis of which Sankara wrote his brahmasutra bhashya and launched advaita, what all were the criticisms against Sankara’s tenets and how they were refuted, were these refuatations were without any shifting stance/s and whether, even after changing shape, the rebuttals silenced the opponents of advaita or gave rise to further objections (like the winning chess player calling “check” in a game), and what is the present position. I am sorry to say that as Shri Nara has rightly observed, “if in the final analysis there is only an undifferentiated pure consciousness, which is the central thesis of Advaitam, then what practical use is it for common folks, and they have rightly rejected it in all possible practical ways yet giving it lip service only due to accident of birth in a Smartha family.” Practising dvaitam or dualism and claiming that they are advaitins is what is going on, and, towards that end the assistance of everything from Iswara to polytheism to Yoga to samadhi, is claimed to have been allowed by Sankara and advaita vedanta.
Where have I made such an argument that include stuff that Sankara did not conceive of? I do not care as I told Professor Nara Ji about folks practicing the tenets of other Sampradhayams while professing to be advaithins. In fact I will go a step further and say that most of the Samrtha seem to stop at the rituals. But as I have said to Professor Nara Ji, when does the so called followers' not following the sampradhayam properly dictate the truthfulness of it's tenets?

Now my remarks about you not accepting Sankara's postulations is because you do not accept the responses given by the two sources answering the seven questions raised by Ramanuja. I did not mean that Advaitha should be beyond scrutiny. However, it seems to me that neither you nor Professor Nara Ji accept the responses provided in the blog posting I provided to the Professor. If you want a rigorous debate, why don't either of you refute the response given with proper explanations?

In terms of accepting 'Yoga' as a term, that is my word to describe the process of discrimination and Jnana. Regarding Samkhya, I know Sankara did not accept it. But the ceation theory was essentially the same, but the theories subsequent to creation are different. Are they not?

Regarding the location of Maya and it's import, please read the two reference postings I have made in my response to Professor Nara Ji. Sankara clearly explains it. Again, you may respond to the explanation.

About Ishwara and creation: Please read this from the reference on Advaitha in Wiki, that I posted above:
So Adi Shankara assumes that Creation is recreation or play of Ishvara. It is His nature, just as it is man's nature to breathe.
This is what I have read in other sources as well. I have also already said that 'Leela' may be a term I loosely employ to denote reason for creation. Seems like you have not read it.

Yes, I know that Sankara used the word 'Samadhi' in terms of what we call as 'Nirvakalpa' Samadhi today..

Regards,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back