• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

about brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
re

I am more of a readre of books than a discusser."Manu" is not one person.Manusmriti is a compilation by several individualpeople.Manusmriti is the general There are other Smritis which also lay down the principples for all human beings.Yanjavalika Smriti is attributed to 7-8 Century AD Most Vadamas follow his commentator Apastamba's sutras.The Puritanical (if I may use the word )achara ismoreprevalent southof the Vindya than in the north.To be a Brahmin you are supposed to maintain certain standras .

sanathana=eternal

dharma=living principle

not only for brahmanas but also for kshatriyas,vaishyas,shudras in the entire world.the classification varies with new names given in modern society,but its always these four personality traits which are predominant in people all over the world.

sri krishna sharanam mama! shri hari sharanam mama!

sb

Trial By ??

:yell::nono:puducherry, Apr 2 : Nearly five years after the murder of Sankararaman, manager of Sri Varadarajaperumal temple at Kancheepuram, the trial of the case, in which Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused, began here today.

Of the 24 accused, 21 were present in the Principal and District Session court.

Jayendra Saraswathi and Vijayendra Saraswathi did not appear in the court. They were charged under sections 120B (conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of the IPC.

Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss examined the first prosecution witness Padma, wife of Sankararaman and she identified two of the accused in the case.

Nine of the 368 witnesses were examined today.

Sankararaman was allegedly murdered in the premises of Varadarajaperumal temple on September 3, 2004.

Jayendra Saraswathi was arrested on November 14, 2004 by the Tamil Nadu police in Andhra Pradesh's Mahabbobnagar district in connection with the murder.

In January, 2005, the Special Investigating Team filed a 1873 page chargesheet in the Principal Session court in Tamil Nadu's Chengalpattu in connection with the case.

Place for widows in hinduism

I personally do not support the view that all widows must be disfigured, as it is not only a crime against individual liberty but uncivilised behaviour too.

I do not the know the veracity of the statement that Mahaperiyava had to go without food, if he happened to see a widow. It is something unimaginable for me.

Whatever said in holy scriptures, mankind cannot stop evolution - slow but silent change that may ultimately turn radical after a long time. But, what we oppose is revolution caused by sudden revolt and violent reaction.

So, keeping with present times, widows are entitled to be dressed like they want and lead a life of their choice peacefully and quietly. No one can admonish or banish them, as long as such women do not swerve from the path the other women are also supposed to follow.

Well said, Pannvalan. I would like to add that (in my opinion) widows should marry if they find someone to their liking, without the society gossiping or condemning them.

I personally do not support the view that all widows must be disfigured, as it is not only a crime against individual liberty but uncivilised behaviour too.

I do not the know the veracity of the statement that Mahaperiyava had to go without food, if he happened to see a widow. It is something unimaginable for me.

Whatever said in holy scriptures, mankind cannot stop evolution - slow but silent change that may ultimately turn radical after a long time. But, what we oppose is revolution caused by sudden revolt and violent reaction.

So, keeping with present times, widows are entitled to be dressed like they want and lead a life of their choice peacefully and quietly. No one can admonish or banish them, as long as such women do not swerve from the path the other women are also supposed to follow.

Well said, Pannvalan. I would like to add that (in my opinion) widows should marry if they find someone to their liking, without the society gossiping or condemning them.

Re-marriage is enitrely their personal wish about which others can have no say,but only that people should not twist that shastras or smrithis have allowed it.This would be erroneous as the concept of marriage in hinduism is continuing till the death of both and it is not treated as a contract which could be annuled by divorce.The temporal laws following pseudo intellectuals like Nehru have been amended in India creating an illusion that anything can be changed by an act of Parliament

re

Re-marriage is enitrely their personal wish about which others can have no say,but only that people should not twist that shastras or smrithis have allowed it.This would be erroneous as the concept of marriage in hinduism is continuing till the death of both and it is not treated as a contract which could be annuled by divorce.The temporal laws following pseudo intellectuals like Nehru have been amended in India creating an illusion that anything can be changed by an act of Parliament

well said suvy.i really don't understand as why to only Mahaswamigal of Kanchi Mutt is being dragged into discussion,when from kanyakumari to jammu&kashmir all sampradayas followed the same?obviously,there is less knowledgeable people in the forum,who consistently insist in dragging the kanchi gurus,as they are soft targets for other devious minds!:bored:

sb

Yanjavalika Smriti mentions widows should be disfigured.That was said im his time. In my view it is for the individual ro consider.But we must place some restarint on our very orthodox ladies who enen in this day desire to do away the embelishments.

Yanjavalika Smriti mentions widows should be disfigured.That was said im his time. In my view it is for the individual ro consider.But we must place some restarint on our very orthodox ladies who enen in this day desire to do away the embelishments.

if a widow wants to marry in 5111 KY she is more than welcome to do,if she is capable of standing on her own two legs and be economically independent,provided some men are backing her efforts.

sb

Hello Sridhar

The following ling might give you some ideas:
http://www.vedah.net/manasanskriti/Brahmins.html

This is indeed a immense topic and many scholarly people commented on this
Here some of my thoughts based on that:

1. For a Bramana, Vedam and Gothram comes as first grouping:

According to many scholars, the Vedam and Gothram been formulated by Sri Vedavyasa (Krishnadvaipayana) to protect the Vedas. As it was said "Grantha Kotipi" meaning Vedas were innumerable. But owing to the diminishing utility of memory by human beings due to the age of Kali, Vedas were grouped into 4 (Rig, Yajur, Sama and Athrvana) and handed over to group of people with an instruction that at least keep this compiled form of Veda intact and hand over to generations next. In that view some group were given instructions to keep Rig and others Yajur etc., and to share the knowledge of the Veda to the human community as a whole. Following to that, now we call ourselves belonging to any one Vedam. A point to be noted here is Each Veda has its own rituals/formulas/practices as described in that Veda and Vedaanga.

'Gothra' is an identity carried by male lineage in India from time immemorial. Most people have gothra chain names traceable to Rig Vedic Rishis like 'Gowthama', 'Vasishta' 'Viswamithra' and to first sons of Vaivaswatha Manu like Angirasa & Bhrigu. Purana such as Vishnu Purana refer to individual identity through 'Gothra'. Listings of more than 250 Gothra chains have been explicitly listed. I have heard of instances of Muslims converted from Hinduism still keeping track of their 'Gothra'. For example we know that Buddha, named Siddhartha was of 'Gowthama Gothra'. It means that his Y-chromosomes were probably from Rig-Vedic Rishi 'Gowthama Rahoogana'.

2. Divisions such as (Vadama, Vaathima or Brihadhcharanam etc.,)
This is just to identify a group based on their settlements. It is believed that Brahmins do and did existed globally and they migrated from one place to another place on invitation from Kings of other region. Thus the relocated or migrated group of Vedic People been given a special status, place to stay to conduct the Vedic rituals etc., such group viz., Vadama (those who moved from North), Brihacharanam [Brihath – this world or the country, Charanam – circumambulate] Those who moved from distant places. Like this the divisions.
Dear Sri Rv,
I have read a discourse by H.H.Jayendrasarasvathi where he mentioned that Brihacharanam to be derived from "Bhrighu aham Sharanam" .The epithet was because of their having Sage Bhrighu as their preceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back