• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

About Atma Pradakshina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atma Pradakshina (Revolving on one’s axis)

Qn.

Is Atma Pradakshina, or rotating on one’s axis, a valid substitute for doing a pradakshina?
Ans.
No. In fact, Atma pradakshina does not seem to be prescribed anywhere in the Sastras except during sandhya vandanam. When it is not possible to do pradakshina, you can just do a namaskara.

Doing an Atma pradakshina requires you to turn your back on the deity, which in my opinion is not seemly.

nb: The above Qn & Ans is taken from the FAQ section of the book THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION

My Guru has told me something about Atma Pradakshina.

Yani Kani cha Papani
Janmantara Kritanicha
Tani tani Vinashyanthi
Pradakshinam Pade Pade

This normally we do three times after a Puja or Prayer of Workship to the Lord in our
House daily. To be precise, for the above, O God, I rotate in my place to kill all my
sins that I may have committed in all of my births.

We do Puja in our house keeping either the Idol or Photos of our Ishta or Kula Deivam.
The above act - The God which we have seen outwards is also inside us. The tatwartham
is Omnipresence. God is not only everywhere and also inside me but also in each one of
live and non-living things. Ultimate prayer is do not harm anyone. Since I believe, HE is
inside me, I go around and I surrender to HIM.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Who is your Guru? You can approach him again and seek clarifictions. He will cetainly be able to guide you.

As regards to the Yaani kaanicha.... sloka, it doesn't ask/permit one to do Atma Pradakshina. Look into the meaning again, did it say anywhere that one should do Atma-Pradakshina? I do not think so.

Regarding the presence of God everywhere, who can question it or doubt it? Here the question is not that. People should not offer namaskarams south-facing, that doesn't mean that God is not there. Plase do not confuse the issues.

Here again, its my view and if you have still any different perspective, I have nothing to say.

Sarma Sastrigal

We do Pradakshina in the Temple, i.e. go around the God or Goddess through Praharam;
but in the house around ourselves, doing a Samarpanam to the God that you are in me
as a SOUL and performing Atma Pradakshinam means that I do Pradakshinam around you
only God. After that we do Namaskaram (Prostration) (stating Kayanevacha..) and
at the end offer ourselves to him with a Kshama Prarthana i.e. to surrender to HIM
(Mantraheenam, Kriyaheenam, Bakthiheenam Sureshwari Yathboojitham Mayadevi
Paripoornam Thathasthume) in order to offer all the mistakes at his Holy feet.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

We do Pradakshina in the Temple, i.e. go around the God or Goddess through Praharam;
but in the house around ourselves, doing a Samarpanam to the God that you are in me
as a SOUL and performing Atma Pradakshinam means that I do Pradakshinam around you
only God. After that we do Namaskaram (Prostration) (stating Kayanevacha..) and
at the end offer ourselves to him with a Kshama Prarthana i.e. to surrender to HIM
(Mantraheenam, Kriyaheenam, Bakthiheenam Sureshwari Yathboojitham Mayadevi
Paripoornam Thathasthume) in order to offer all the mistakes at his Holy feet.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

P.S. at her holy feet.

Who is your Guru? You can approach him again and seek clarifictions. He will cetainly be able to guide you.

As regards to the Yaani kaanicha.... sloka, it doesn't ask/permit one to do Atma Pradakshina. Look into the meaning again, did it say anywhere that one should do Atma-Pradakshina? I do not think so.

Regarding the presence of God everywhere, who can question it or doubt it? Here the question is not that. People should not offer namaskarams south-facing, that doesn't mean that God is not there. Plase do not confuse the issues.

Here again, its my view and if you have still any different perspective, I have nothing to say.

Sarma Sastrigal

Thank you for the input. Meanwhile, I shall get it clarified. Normally, what I do, I
give below in the next thread please.

Here again you have jumped to some points like, doing namaskarams, uttering slokas like mantraheenam...etc. I do not have any differencre of opinion with those things. One should do all those things, and people are doing it. The subject matter is only about Atma Pradakshina.

Sarma Sastrigal

Atma Pradakshina (Revolving on one’s axis)

Qn.

Is Atma Pradakshina, or rotating on one’s axis, a valid substitute for doing a pradakshina?
Ans.
No. In fact, Atma pradakshina does not seem to be prescribed anywhere in the Sastras except during sandhya vandanam. When it is not possible to do pradakshina, you can just do a namaskara.

Doing an Atma pradakshina requires you to turn your back on the deity, which in my opinion is not seemly.

nb: The above Qn & Ans is taken from the FAQ section of the book THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION

This "aatma pradakshinam" has come out of man's "markata buddhi" (monkey brain) imo. Usually, in the house pooja (dEvoojai, as we call) there will not be space all around to do pradakshinam. Since this advaitham concept of "tat tvam asi" and "aham brahmaasmi" has gone to people's head in a wrong way, some acknowledged bhakta siromani might have started this axis-revolution, and also justified it saying that the deities in the pooja have been 'aavaahified' into his own body thru anga and karanyaasams and so he can do this and treat it as equal to pradakshinam of the deities concerned.

Since this practice has gone so deep into some people and solidified like RC, it will now be a very difficult job for them to scrape that out. And then they will also feel that when they recite "anEka kOTi pradakShiNa namaskaaraan samarpayaami" or something equivalent to that, they have omitted doing that. Is it not better to please god by doing what we feel will please us if we were god?

This "aatma pradakshinam" has come out of man's "markata buddhi" (monkey brain) imo. Usually, in the house pooja (dEvoojai, as we call) there will not be space all around to do pradakshinam. Since this advaitham concept of "tat tvam asi" and "aham brahmaasmi" has gone to people's head in a wrong way, some acknowledged bhakta siromani might have started this axis-revolution, and also justified it saying that the deities in the pooja have been 'aavaahified' into his own body thru anga and karanyaasams and so he can do this and treat it as equal to pradakshinam of the deities concerned.

Since this practice has gone so deep into some people and solidified like RC, it will now be a very difficult job for them to scrape that out. And then they will also feel that when they recite "anEka kOTi pradakShiNa namaskaaraan samarpayaami" or something equivalent to that, they have omitted doing that. Is it not better to please god by doing what we feel will please us if we were god?

I agree almost with all the points mentioned herein. Thanks for the same.
While on the subject I take the liberty of providing a link hereunder which may give some more ideas aout the book THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION, relesed by Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswathi.

Here is the link :
The Hindu : Arts / Books : Book on Vedic principles

Sarma Sastrigal
Chennai

It is a custom to do Pradakshinam around ourselves three times and this is termed
as Atma Pradakshinam. We bow to the Supreme Divinity. This has not been
objected to by any one so far all these years. I shall revert back to you on this
subject very shortly.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The word ˜Pradakshinaâ has a typical meaning.
The letter 'Praâ' stands for removal of all kinds of sins; 'daâ' stands
for fulfilling the desires; 'kshiâ' stands for freedom from future
births; 'naâ' stands for giving deliverance through jnana.

The significance is that the ego which goes round like a whirlwind must get destroyed, and must get absorbed in Atma. That is Atma Pradakshina - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

It is a custom to do Pradakshinam around ourselves three times and this is termed
as Atma Pradakshinam. We bow to the Supreme Divinity. This has not been
objected to by any one so far all these years. I shall revert back to you on this
subject very shortly.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Hello,

Did I question about bowing to the Supreme Divinity? I wonder why you have mentioned it. Mine was just an opinion and there is no compulsion on your part to agree with me. Just leave it please. Before concluding may I request you to go through the reply posted herein by one Sri Sarma-61.

The word ˜Pradakshinaâ has a typical meaning.
The letter 'Praâ' stands for removal of all kinds of sins; 'daâ' stands
for fulfilling the desires; 'kshiâ' stands for freedom from future
births; 'naâ' stands for giving deliverance through jnana.

The significance is that the ego which goes round like a whirlwind must get destroyed, and must get absorbed in Atma. That is Atma Pradakshina - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

What an apt and just explanation ! I am so happy to read this Maharishi's words. Its true, satyam, in the real sense of the term.

May I say that, leave alone the Atma Pradakshina, even Saashtanga namaskarams or bowing to elders itself help us to destroy our ego consiousness.

Thank you once again for the posting.

Best
Sarma Sastrigal

Whatever the dictum or custom is, please do not do "atmapradakshina"when your head alone is having panaromic world views becos of some problems!

I am not a Vadhyar nor I have properly undergone Adhyayanam in a Patasala. I only practice
certain things with the help of my friends who are in the field and perusal of reference books which
are authorised references on topics of Yajur, Rug and Sama Vedas.

All these days we have been doing something, taught by someone. We do many things
knowingly or unknowingly. When we correct it, we also need to think why we did
so many years or why were taught in that fashion or why people practice it. I find some of the people
here, just rush to the net and immediately produce the material from that. On going through
Bhagwan Ramana Rishi's Maharishi's quote, I took time to go through the material available
with my colleague on Ribhu Gita Chapter 3 Verses 39, wherein about Atma Pradakshina is
quoted. Some say Atma Pradakshinam is permissible during Amavasya Tharpanam. I would
like to verify this fact too.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I quote a stanza from Ribhu Gita Chapter 3 Verses 39
as available

Reflecting "I am the all - blissful self"
Is worship as with words and flowers
True circum-ambulation is the thought
In me the million Universes roll
He who knows all beings bow to HIM and HE to none
He bows before the Mahalinga - Self

I am the nature of the eternal perfection.

Let us not rush on anything and come to a conclusion merely because
it is referred to (based on the material) in some sites. Even a child
when it asks some query, it is the parent's responsibility to make one
to understand in a convincing manner and tell the child that it may not
be correct to do it rather than straightaway through it at the child what
you do is incorrect. Vedas are a large ocean and one cannot see the
shores just like that. Hindu rituals and practices are followed by people
in different pattern, which are sometimes taught by their own hereditary.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I subscribe to Sri Sarma Sastrigals view. That does not mean I am asking others to subscribe too.
I see the practice of Athma Pradakshina quite widespread. One may want to validate from good sources if they are unsure about this practice.
I feel people who have knowledge should provide information and where possible substantiate with references, and leave it to individuals whether they want to consider it or not. Expecting a favourable response or challenging others view always creates a friction.

Mr Ozoneji
I have full respects to Shri Sarma Satrigal's view and my Pranams to him.
I do not question his authority nor I intend to hurt him. Since we have
been doing this for many years, I was only keen to know, as to what we
are doing is correct or incorrect. As I mentioned earlier in my post, I am
only eager to have a view of it because many people are still doing it.

In view of the view of the above, owing to anxiety, we were discussing
among ourselves (with my colleagues), why we did a wrong thing, if it is
incorrect. My friends too are keen in learning Vedas and they do read lot of
religious books. One of them mentioned to me this morning, stating some mention
is made in the site Stotrapushpalu.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=
about Atma Pradakshina (going round the self). I told him to find out and get
a copy of the text for the perusal. Meanwhile, I thought, let me request you
also to have a look at that site, as I attend to all this activity either in my friends
place or in browsing centre. This is for your information. Could you kindly peruse
the same on my behalf. I shall be thankful to you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr Ozoneji
I have full respects to Shri Sarma Satrigal's view and my Pranams to him.
I do not question his authority nor I intend to hurt him. Since we have
been doing this for many years, I was only keen to know, as to what we
are doing is correct or incorrect. As I mentioned earlier in my post, I am
only eager to have a view of it because many people are still doing it.

In view of the view of the above, owing to anxiety, we were discussing
among ourselves (with my colleagues), why we did a wrong thing, if it is
incorrect. My friends too are keen in learning Vedas and they do read lot of
religious books. One of them mentioned to me this morning, stating some mention
is made in the site Stotrapushpalu.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=
about Atma Pradakshina (going round the self). I told him to find out and get
a copy of the text for the perusal. Meanwhile, I thought, let me request you
also to have a look at that site, as I attend to all this activity either in my friends
place or in browsing centre. This is for your information. Could you kindly peruse
the same on my behalf. I shall be thankful to you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear NB,
May be we should take it off line between ourselves, but here is my quick response.
I did take a look at the site. It is a blog of Telugu speaking people.
As I mentioned before, this type of Pradakshinam is in practice among Telugu and Kannada speaking people.
It is not a recommended thing amongst TB. If you are practicising and want to continue, it is your choice.
It is generally not recommended to pick and mix practices from one system to other, but there are certain good things sometimes you could. So, I dont have a good reply for you.

Mr Ozone

Thank you for your inputs. My friend just now mentioned to me that he found out
and that it is mentioned as "one must do atma pradakshina while chanting the sacred
text" after completion of Vrata or daily puja. Whatever it is, we will drop this at this
point as suggested by you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr Ozone

Thank you for your inputs. My friend just now mentioned to me that he found out
and that it is mentioned as "one must do atma pradakshina while chanting the sacred
text" after completion of Vrata or daily puja. Whatever it is, we will drop this at this
point as suggested by you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Sri Bala,

I think atma-pradakshiNam is allowed. We do it during sandhya-vandanam and also after karpoora-neeranjanam and mantra and suvarna pushpam in deva-puja and while doing atma (or self) pradakshnam chant yani-kani-cha mantra. I referred to Sri Sarma-61's post. Sri Sarma has speculated that someone else has speculated with "markata buddhi". We need not have to give credence to such speculations.

You may please refer to sloka no. 27 of Soundarya Lahiri of Adi Sankara starting with "japo jalpa shilpam....... gatiH prAdakshiNya-kramaNam...... vilasitham" where Sri Sankara requests Mother Lalitha to consider even ordinary steps/foot movements (not even in the form of a pradakshina) as also having been done as a pradakshina to Her.

Regards

1) Atma Pradakshina Mantra:

Yani kani cha papani
Janmantara kritanicha
Tani tani vinashyanti
Pradakshinam pade pade

yani kani--whatever; ca--and; papani--sins; Janmantara - this birth and earlier births; kritani - done (by me); ca--also, tani tani--all of them; vinashyanti -- are destroyed; pradaksinam-- (by) the self circumambulation ; pade pade--at every step.

I (self) rotate in my place to kill all my sins that I may have committed in all of my my births!

2) What times this mantra can be chanted?

Pradakshina around ourselves is done at the end of all poojas at our houses.

3) What is the purpose chanting this way?

The God which we have seen outwards is also inside!

Katha Upanishad, 2.1.12:

2-I-12.The Purusha, of the size of a thumb, dwells in the body. (Realizing Him as) the Lord of the past and the future, one does not (henceforward) want to protect oneself. This verily is that (thou seekest).

Svetasvatara Upanishad, 5.8:

V-8: Subtle as the point of a goad, and pure, effulgent and infinite like the sun, He alone is seen assuming as another the size of a thumb on account of the finiteness of the heart (in which He appears), and associating Himself with egoism and Sankalpa on account of the limitations of the intellect.

4) What is the tatwartha here?

The Omnipresence God is not only everywhere and inside ME but ALSO in each one of all living and non living things!! Do not harm any !!!

Katha Upanishad, 2.3.17:

2-III-17. Purusha of the size of a thumb, the inner Self, is ever seated in the heart of all living beings. One should, with steadiness, separate Him from one’s own body as stalk from the Munja grass. One should know Him as pure and immortal; one should know Him as pure and immortal.

Svetasvatara Upanishad, 3.13:

III-13: Assuming a form of the size of a thumb, by virtue of intellect, emotion, imagination and will, the Infinite Being dwells in the hearts of creatures as their inner self. Those who realize this become immortal.

5) Marathi Bhajan, "Dhanya Dhanya Ho Pradakshina" :

MP3 audio from:

http://www.mazafm.com/marathimusic/detai…

धन्य धन्य हो प्रदक्षिणा सद्ग़ुरुरायाची/
झाली त्वरा सुरवरां विमान उतरायाची// ध्रु. //

I am very happy to do pradakshina around Him. He is inside and I go around. I surrender to Him. I am winding myself around the Master so that I may always be with Him.
At once Gods have sent an air-vehicle down to take me up and I have become HE. Gods themselves are in haste to come down and I have done pradakshina to such a great One because the unmanifest has become manifest.

पदोपदी अपार झाल्या पुण्याच्या राशी/
सर्वही तीर्थे घडली आम्हां आदिकरुनि काशी/ धन्य.//१//

By doing pradakshina, pilgrimages, the main pilgrimage is to Kashi (body) where Master gives you understanding and you become HE. There is a mountain of virtue on my behalf.

मृदंग टाळ घोळ भक्त भावार्थे गाती/
नामसंकीर्तने ब्रम्हानंदे नाचती/ धन्य. //२//

Different drums and cymbals are played by disciples with love as we chant HIS name.

कोटि ब्रम्हहत्या हरती करितां दंडवत्/
लोटांगण घालिता मोक्ष लोळे पायात/ धन्य. //३//

By your grace, the Master key to removing the sin of „killing a Brahmajanani", (Reality Is dropped and you say I am a body) is surrendering to the Master.

गुरुभजनाचा महिमा न कळे आगमानिगमांसि/
अनुभव जे जाणती ते गुरुपदिचे अभिलाषी/ धन्य. //४//

The secret of the Master‘s Praise (Guru Bhajan) cannot be understood by scriptures or ritual. Only those who have greed for always being at the Master‘s feet,(knowledge:I am HE) will understand. He takes you beyond knowledge.

प्रदक्षिणा करूनि देह भावे वाहिला/
श्रीरंगात्मज विठ्ठल पुढे उभा राहिला/ धन्य. //५//

By making pradakshina and by my dedication, (I am not the body, I am HE), I become the real prosperity, the SELF, one with Vitthala.(Reality)

[h=1]C. Sri Vidya Rajagopalan[/h]

Sri Bala,

I think atma-pradakshiNam is allowed. We do it during sandhya-vandanam and also after karpoora-neeranjanam and mantra and suvarna pushpam in deva-puja and while doing atma (or self) pradakshnam chant yani-kani-cha mantra. I referred to Sri Sarma-61's post. Sri Sarma has speculated that someone else has speculated with "markata buddhi". We need not have to give credence to such speculations.

You may please refer to sloka no. 27 of Soundarya Lahiri of Adi Sankara starting with "japo jalpa shilpam....... gatiH prAdakshiNya-kramaNam...... vilasitham" where Sri Sankara requests Mother Lalitha to consider even ordinary steps/foot movements (not even in the form of a pradakshina) as also having been done as a pradakshina to Her.

Regards

Thank you very much Sir for your input and an excellent example.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Doing atma prdakshinam is also a matter of practicality and convenience.You can do regular pradakshinam in a temple around the sanctum sanctorum in the praahaaram meant for the purpose.However,at home it may not be possible to go around the deities as we do in temples.So, I feel that there is nothing wrong if we do atma pradakshinam at home after performing pooja.As long as there is bhakti bhava while worshiping god,one need not attach too much importance to these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back