• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

About Atma Pradakshina

Status
Not open for further replies.
In sandhyāvandanam we have sandhyādi devatā vandanam, for which we face the four directions and recite the mantram sandhyāyai namaḥ, sāvitryai namaḥ, gāyatryai namaḥ, sarasvatyai namah. Similarly for the dik devatā vandanam we face the four directions, east,south, west and north (in the morning).Even though we turn around once, I dont think it is ātma pradakṣiṇam. No pradakṣiṇa mantram is also recited.

In sandhyāvandanam we have sandhyādi devatā vandanam, for which we face the four directions and recite the mantram sandhyāyai namaḥ, sāvitryai namaḥ, gāyatryai namaḥ, sarasvatyai namah. Similarly for the dik devatā vandanam we face the four directions, east,south, west and north (in the morning).Even though we turn around once, I dont think it is ātma pradakṣiṇam. No pradakṣiṇa mantram is also recited.
I tend to agree with you.
I guess the atmapradakshinam being referred to here is in the poorva bhaga, post Praayaschittargyam for Ikyanusandhanam (असावादित्यो ब्रह्म ब्रह्मैवाहमस्मि ). Here again it is only तूष्णीं and for purpose of self परिषेचनं and no mantra is involved.

Last edited:
Mr Ozone

I want to share with you a small piece of information as contained in the Garuda Puranam.
Garuda Puranam says that the Baktha should not place any demand in front of God. This
may be a surprise to us. We always feel that God is there not only to protect us but also
to fullfil or meet our needs.

It amplifies like this : A child/infant is looked after by the Mother at periodical intervals to
see what is required by the child. A mother, sometimes, even wakes up the sleeping child
"stating that the child sleeps with hunger" she feeds milk or whatever required by the child
knowing the child's need and she satisfies her mind. She always cares for the basic
necessities of the child. Like that God also looks after us with motherly affection. If one
has this faith and confidence in the God, no one will not put up a demand to the God, stating
YOU give me this and that. God only knows as to when to give or Bless the Bhaktha. A
knowledgeable person will only surrender to the God with only a prayer for an undisturbed
devotion towards HIM.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr Ozone

I want to share with you a small piece of information as contained in the Garuda Puranam.
Garuda Puranam says that the Baktha should not place any demand in front of God. This
may be a surprise to us. We always feel that God is there not only to protect us but also
to fullfil or meet our needs.

It amplifies like this : A child/infant is looked after by the Mother at periodical intervals to
see what is required by the child. A mother, sometimes, even wakes up the sleeping child
"stating that the child sleeps with hunger" she feeds milk or whatever required by the child
knowing the child's need and she satisfies her mind. She always cares for the basic
necessities of the child. Like that God also looks after us with motherly affection. If one
has this faith and confidence in the God, no one will not put up a demand to the God, stating
YOU give me this and that. God only knows as to when to give or Bless the Bhaktha. A
knowledgeable person will only surrender to the God with only a prayer for an undisturbed
devotion towards HIM.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Such a maturity comes only when one relinquishes himself of materialistic attachments.For ordinary mortals like me who constitute a majority,prayers to the God Almighty are always linked with a request to His grace to fulfill some wish or other in this life. Only when one attains absolute sharnagathi bhava devoid of worldly attachments this may be possible.

No doubt your statement is true. But, if you trace the history of Bhakhtas,
you will generally notice, that Bakhtas place their requests before the God
only in times of trouble, except for a few about whose status/qualities you have categorized.
Let this be on one side. We shall pray as usual to give us peace of mind.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear Sri Zebra,
By the same token, would you consider 'Abivadaye' also allowable to deities? We do that in Sandhya right?
Any way, since God is not objecting to these directly, shouldnt we take these as allowed? regards

Dear Ozone,

I am no authority to extend the "token" of 'abivadaye' in the sandhya to the pujas. I just explained the parallel in the sandhya and the puja conclusion as regards the atma pradakshinam.

Regards,

narayan

Dear Ozone,

I am no authority to extend the "token" of 'abivadaye' in the sandhya to the pujas. I just explained the parallel in the sandhya and the puja conclusion as regards the atma pradakshinam.

Regards,

narayan

Thank you dear Zebra. I took your "is allowed" as an authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back