• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A truth India has to digest: millions still go hungry Harsh Vardhan., Hindustan Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In 2007, the then governor of one of our states was so alarmed by reports of people starving to death in a particular district that he decided to go and check the reality on the ground. The scenes that greeted him were so pathos-filled that the governor fainted. He was bundled into his car and sent off in the general direction of the Raj Bhavan.

As it happened, I was at a multilateral conference themed ‘Action on the Call’ in Washington DC that week with health ministers from 25 countries analysing the past two years’ record in fighting preventable infant and maternal mortality. One of the important facts we were reminded of at the event was that poor nutrition is one of the most common reasons for high infant mortality in India. We are losing 1.4 million children under the age of five years annually, of whom 756,000 are infants, because we have failed to develop an efficient mother and child care system.

The connection between the newspaper report and my experience at that meeting made me face the truism that in the middle of the second decade of the 21st century, no government can escape the information explosion that constantly throws up inescapable facts. I see chronic hunger as a public health problem. Once I admit it as all-pervasive in India, it becomes my duty to address it as a major challenge before my government. Having been a World Health Organization adviser for many years, I cannot, after sitting on this chair, turn away from the fact that more than 27% of the world’s undernourished population lives in India.

Harsh Vardhan is Union minister of health and family welfare.
A truth India has to digest: millions still go hungry - Hindustan Times
Those people who bristle at the post because it is unpalatable please see the credential of the author.
If we recognize the problem may be we can work on a solution.

Last edited:
It is true that a lot go hungry and many have to go bed with one meal a day. to determine poverty rengarajan committee has give an amount of Rs 47 for urban and Rs 32 for rural to estimate the number of poor . he has calculated that thirty percent of families have only this earning. Indian planning has let down the poor. it has only played to the requirement of the elite and upper middle class . states like bihar , UP ,jharkand ,chattisgarh , parts of orissa have very bad record as far as poverty levels are concerned . with huge food reserves , it is a tragedy that we have not been able to take care of the poor . what is the point of talking 7-9 percent growth. multi rises, high speed trains, and ignore the basic needs of food , housing , power and water for more than 50 percent of population ,more in rural areas than urban.
the new govt is a clone of the old mouthing only reforms to aid the private players and please upper crust of society .unless there is a deliberate attempt to take care of the poor , india will be treated as a failed state .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back