• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A step for Brahmin upliftment

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not help to dwell on the past to deal with realities of today. Since this is a chit chat session let me share experience of our family.

My grand father died before my parents were married. As a very well known advocate he must have amassed enormous wealth from what I have gathered. He used to have even a Ford Car in the 1920s (?), a mansion of house (now an industry is in that place when I took my children there some years ago), land in many acres, a barn of cows, chariot with horses etc.

From that era what I understood is that many Brahmin families used to buy land (for Rice etc, but laborers did the work of harvesting) , buy gold ornaments, have cows etc and have many children. All these were considered personification of Goddess Lakshmi.

The laws changed from whatever little I remember and yields from harvest had to be shared with the actual laborers in a disproportionate manner. Even after division across the so called Joint families it was still substantial. Over time, most members (my grand father's brother's children, my father and his brothers) had moved off to cities. Someone made decisions to sell it all off due to changes in laws. I only know whatever was shared by my father.

The families lacked business skills and hence could not adopt to changing laws and environment. Most ended up in a middle class set up earning in some government type jobs. The wealth had evaporated since money was kept in Post office savings accounts, or Kisan Vikas Patrika etc that did not keep up with inflation. I remember when some land was sold (associated with where cows used to be housed) money was enough to buy a house in South Delhi. Prices of those houses now is over 13 to 15 crores. My father put the money in a bank account. I learnt all these much later. It all became worthless due to inflation.

When we went to visit ancestral house, the current occupants (some enterprising NB hosting this industry) were very hospitable, and I was able to show around the place where we used to visit some of the summer vacations.

Bottomline: The wealth and power did not move across even one generation.

Most tamil brahmins in fiftees did not bother to invest in housing in delhi .

They either had govt accommodation or were tenants paying rent to landlords often baniyas or punjabis.

most had ideas of returning to tamilnadu after retirement.

Only their children preferred to stay put and they bought houses, ,flats in delhi and their offsprings went abroad and some settled there.

Most tamil brahmins in fiftees did not bother to invest in housing in delhi .

They either had govt accommodation or were tenants paying rent to landlords often baniyas or punjabis.

most had ideas of returning to tamilnadu after retirement.

Only their children preferred to stay put and they bought houses, ,flats in delhi and their offsprings went abroad and some settled there.

In 60s and 70s, many were fearful of earth quakes etc and always thought of settling back in state of Madras.
We used to be called Madrasis .. Not sure if that term is still in usage

But a traditional orthodox Brahmin can not be a Zamindar isnt it?

Isnt being a Zamindar for Kshatriyas or Vaishyas?

Zamindars were agents of an imperial system at the village/firka level. The imperial system can be any one, Mughals, Native kingdoms, sultans, Army commanders of an invading army who stayed back to become zamindars etc.,

Zamindars acted as local agents for collection of taxes from the local land owners. They remitted a part of it to the distant Nawab/sultan and took a part to themselves. So they were rich by the local standards and were honoured rowdies who used to coerce the local population and deal with it ruthlessly. They also splashed money on wine and women.

Brahmins being sAtvic, could not rise up to these levels of demand that these positions generally made. So they were never Zamindars. At best they were just pannayars owning large tracts of cultivable land.

In continuation of post #14 above:

An assessment of the past is useful while discussing the future and that is the reason why I dealt with the problems faced by the brahmin community in the near past and not in the centuries past. Of course those with "shining intellect" will always jump on the troubles that the community suffered and try to sublimate those tribulations using practically meaningless terms like guna brahmana, Jaati brahmana etc., They are people who suffer from a guilt. The guilt complex has occupied them because they have read too much of revolutionary literature and have been subjected to too much of high decibel, overwhelming indoctrination by the Dravidian hate-selling mobs and charlatans. They sincerely believe that brahmins deserved to be treated the way they were treated. So they would come here and advise us to forget the past completely.

The past can not be simply forgotten or brushed aside because it is a sordid story of how a majoritarian ideology not only dominated the social life of Tamils, but also how it became an instrument of politics to create a new class of apartheid in the country. It would be better to remember what happened by revisiting the scene once in a while because elsewhere in the world such majoritarianist devils have played havoc with the society killing innocents in millions. Being vigilant is the solution and that needs knowledge of the past. Period.

Now I will move to look at what all can be done now to help the community.

will continue in the next part............

Continuation of post #14 and 30:

I will quickly and summarily present my ideas on what can be done.

1. Brahmins should tell their children that they are special. Their genes have been mutated by a certain special sAtvic circumstances and environment voluntarily accepted by the community. This has been happening through centuries of life in this country. There is no way one can change whatever has happened. So it is a given situation. As the mutation has been positive in the sense it has resulted in improvement of the genes to live in this planet there is no need to give up that advantage or give up that path. This should be told to every brahmin young man and woman. If someone calls it all senseless and chooses to violate the tradition, let them do that as it is their own choice. Only this much can be said here. This covers everything relating to families and their living. IC or IR marriages, eating meat and other non-veg food, violence in any form both physical and mental, telling lies, cheating etc., etc., everything that is generally prohibited for brahmins.

2. As a first step brahmins should devote time to get organized and to organize. They should organize where there is no organized entity exists and become part of the entity where it exists already. The local VedaAdyana sabha, Astika samAjam, Brahmana Samooham, temple, Bhajan Mandali, SatkAlakshepa ghoshti, Sri pAtham groups whon render free services in temples etc., are existing organizations. Every brahmin should participate in the activities of these groups with enthusiasm and contribute financially also.

3. Brahmins should start more educational institutions like schools colleges etc., They should work hard for the open school system which does not tie down a student to a school or a syllabus.

4. They should work hard to develop a word of mouth communication channel and a well connected network of groups of persons in position of power, through which they should pass on info about other brahmin young men and women who are in need of a job, a school or college seat, or any other help/favour. Even issuing a smart card to each brahmin member of an apex brahmin Association can be thought of. That card should be enough to establish a person's credentials and access services from the net worked individuals.

5. They should organize and conduct classes through their local associations to every young men and woman of the community who is at the threshold of a marriage. These classes can importantly equip the youngsters with knowledge of their heritage and customs. The most important part of the training should be teach them behavioral science which will help them deal with elders in a new environment without anxieties. It will also help them choose partners from within the community for marriage. Parents of such youngsters also can be given training in handling youngsters who enter their house from another environment. They can also be taught about the origins of astrology and the importance to discount some of the false beliefs that have become entrenched in the belief system.

6. The enterprising brahmins can contribute liberally to the floating of a brahmins bank or credit society which will be able to lend money for the budding enterpreneurs from the community. The possibilities to help the community are immensely large for a commercial lending entiry. The unspoken rule should be to give brahmins preferred customer status.

7. Brahmins should never commit the mistake of entering politics again. They can exert pressure on political parties by becoming a pressure group. Outwardly they should always remain apolitical. They should avoid coming in conflict with the political parties on issues which do not affect the community.

Many more ideas can be thought of. I leave it to members here to think and write here what they have.

As I am not sure about the kind of reception for these three posts of me in the forum, I stop here. I do not intend to write on this topic any more.

Item 2 is feasible.

Others are pipe dreams.

As far as politics is concerned , the ruling party at the centre is their only hope.

They might give some political space to brahmin community.

Continuation of post #14 and 30:

As I am not sure about the kind of reception for these three posts of me in the forum, I stop here. I do not intend to write on this topic any more.

Vaagmi ji,

I thank you for your contributions in this thread, touching both past and offering constructive suggestions for uplifting our Brahmin Community.

It is a fact that we have come far away from our original nature and yet it is not too late to regain/restore our glory by uplifting our community in all aspects.

Whenever such topics surfaces in this Forum, the main hurdle or bottle neck that members use to cite is the minuscule in strength, the absence of unity among the sections, etc

Imbibing values

Read somewhere that if charity begins at home, why not ethics and morale..

This is what you have insisted in your first para of posting No.30.

You are right that our children should be taught good values and morale.

The supremacy of the community and more especially contribution of its members to the society in general more particularly in the fields of health, education, art, culture, literature, music, dance etc All parents should make it point and try to uplift the community by contributing their mite, one among which may be to teach the young generation values of vedas and upholding of dharma, etc in everyday life.

Unity among the Brahmins

As for unity among the members of the community, I submit that in our place where I live in,(this can be taken as a sample) we have a strong network of Brahmins well organized, involving the various activities most of which are aimed at helping the poor community members.

To some extent, I can also say there is unity among the members here who assemble on Sundays at Satsangam, Fridays at Soundarya Lahari, Saturdays at Sahasranama Mandali, Pradosham days at Temples chanting Rudhram, etc

This group which is also a Registered body under the Act used to convene General Body Meeting, elect Officers members, collect a small amount towards subscription, the run the Organization effectively by helping the poor members of the community. This group also involve in other activities of Organising Free Upanayam, extending financial assistance for Higher Education of children of have-not. etc

I am giving hereunder a message which was received thro' WhatsApp today by 12.20:

Pl communicate to your other bramin community groups.
---
Namaskaram.I am J.Gopalakrishnan, a full time volunteer and old student of Sri Ramakrishna Mission Students Home (Residential school), Mylapore, Chennai. Every year during Akshay Thritiya day, Ramakrishna Mission use to conduct free upanyanam for our brahmin students and to d deserving economically weaker brahmin family boys. As we don't have d students and suitable brahmin boys this year, we need your help to identify and give some ref.of some deserving brahmin boys. For further details, pl contact me.
Gopal/ x x x x x

This is a small group with limited members in thousands drawn from two to three towns in this area.

Similarly, there are Groups, all over the City and State.

I find there is an All India Brahmin Federation functioning from Hyderabad.

There are also social groups, like Brahmana Sangam, etc (Face Book)

There are Groups offering Matrimonial services to the Brahmin community

It is reported that recently the Andhra Pradesh Government has established Brahmins Welfare Corporation for improving cohesiveness, morale and pride…among Brahmins

There may be lot of such Organization functioning all over like the Forum

Reservation Policy which has fractured the community

I have been reading reports that there is a poor percentage of Doctors coming out of the every Medical College each year.

Similarly, there are very few Advocates getting out of Law College…

These speak volume….

Young generations bright minds were disappointed that they are unable to get seats in higher studies in top class Institutions though they secured top ranks, but on the other hand, their class mates were able to get to top simply availing the advantage of reservation policy of the Government enforced strictly all over.

And there is a Section which is continuing to lure members of this community to get converted to others religions

With all these hurdles, impediments, we are sailing against current…with the only hope that if winter comes, can spring be far behind…?

P.S:
I can PM the mobile number of Mr. Gopal, for those who are interested

Last edited by a moderator:
While we focus on our satvic values, we need to also focus on business..

May be we cannot be a good shop keeper but we be a promoter of a large online (Ecommerce) business

May be we cannot be a farm hand but we can be a promoter of a bio research company that works on DNA & genome analysis

May be we cannot be a ruthless collection guy but we can be an investment banker raking in millions of dollars

Where there is a will there is a way!!

While we focus on our satvic values, we need to also focus on business..

May be we cannot be a good shop keeper but we be a promoter of a large online (Ecommerce) business

May be we cannot be a farm hand but we can be a promoter of a bio research company that works on DNA & genome analysis

May be we cannot be a ruthless collection guy but we can be an investment banker raking in millions of dollars

Where there is a will there is a way!!

Zindabad!

As far as politics is concerned , the ruling party at the centre is their only hope.

They might give some political space to brahmin community.

We do not want to be overtly active in politics. The idea is to become a pressure group a la the Jews in US.

An assessment of the past is useful while discussing the future

Sir,

I agree

This is past and some of them are centuries old.

I would like to share this post received through face book today.

These are few personalities who have contributed for the growth and richness of Tamil literature. There may be some names left out.

This information is more relevant as this relates to Brahmins and more particularly to Tamil language....

Let us feel proud and try to continue the legacy……

சில திராவிடத்திற்காக இப்பதிவு அவசியமாகிறது..
(சில திருத்தங்கள் இருக்கலாம்).. என் சிந்தைக்கு எட்டிய வரை..
பிராமணர்கள் தமிழர்களே கிடையாது, தமிழுக்கும் அவர்களுக்கும் சம்பந்தமே இல்லை என்பது போல பலர் பேசுகிறார்கள் ஆனால் தமிழ் வளர்த்த பிராமணர்கள் பற்றி கொஞ்சமேனும் நினைவு கொள்வது நம் வரலாற்றறிவுக்கு நல்லதல்லவா!

சங்ககாலம்

1. அகஸ்தியர்
2. தொல்காப்பியர் (காப்பியக்குடி என்னும் கபிகோத்திரத்தார்)
3. ஜயன் ஆரிதனார் (ஹரித கோத்திரத்தார்)
4. கபிலர்
5. கள்ளில் ஆத்திரையனார் (ஆத்ரேய கோத்திரத்தார்)
6. கோதமனார்
7. பாலைக் கெளதமனார்
8. ஆமூர்க் கெளதமன் சாதேவனார் (கெளதம கோத்திரம்)
9. பிரமனார்
10. மதுரை இளங்கண்ணிக் கெளசிகனார் (கெளசிக கோத்திரம்)
11. மதுரைக் கெளணியன் பூதத்தனார் (கெளண்டின்ய கோத்திரம்)
12. மாமூலனார்
13. மதுரைக் கணக்காயனார்
14. சிவசன்முகனார்
15. மார்க்கண்டேயனார்
16. பிரம்மகவி
17. கடியலூர் உருத்திரங் கண்ணனார் (பட்டினப்பாலை)
18. வேம்பற்றூர்க் குமரனார்
19. தாமப் பல்கண்ணனார்
20. குமட்டுர்க் கண்ணனார்

இடைக்காலம்

21. மாணிக்கவாசகர்
22. திருஞானசம்பந்தர்
23. சுந்தரமூர்த்தி ஸ்வாமிகள்
24. பெரியாழ்வார்
25. ஆண்டாள்
26. தொண்டரடிப்பொடியாழ்வார்
27. மதுரகவி
28. நச்சினார்க்கினியர் (பாரத்துவாசி)
29. பரிமேலழகர்
30. வில்லிபுத்தூரார்
31. அருணகிரிநாதர்
32. பிள்ளைப் பெருமாளையங்கார்
33. சிவாக்ரயோகி
34. காளமேகப் புலவர்

பிற்காலம்
35. பெருமாளையர்
36. வீரை ஆசுகவி (செளந்தர்யலகரி மொழி பெயர்த்தவர்)
37. வேம்பற்றூரார் (பழைய திரவிளையாடலாசிரியர்)
38. நாராயண தீக்ஷிதர் (மகரநெடுங்குழைக்காதர் பாமாலை)
39. கோபாலகிருஷ்ண பாரதியார்
40. கனம் கிருஷ்ணையர்
41. அரியலூர்ச் சடகோப ஐயங்கார்
42. கஸ்தூரி ஐங்கார் (கார்குடி)
43. சண்பகமன்னார்
44. திருவேங்கட பாரதி (பாரதி தீபம் நி கண்டு)
45. வையை இராமசாமி சிவன் (பெரியபுராணக் கீர்த்தனைகள்)
46. மகாமகோபாத்தியாய டாக்டர் சாமிநாதையர்
47. சுப்ரமண்ய பாரதியார்
48. பரிதிமாற் கலைஞர் (வி.கோ.சூ)
49. சுப்பராமையர் (பதம்)
50. முத்துசாமி ஐயங்கார் (சந்திரா லோகம்)
51. ரா.ராகவையங்கார்
52. பகழிக் கூத்தார்
53. வென்றிமாலைக் கவிராயர்
54. வேம்பத்தூர் பிச்சுவையர்
55. கல்போது பிச்சுவையர்
56. நவநீதகிருஷ்ண பாரதியார்
57. அனந்தகிருஷ்ணஐயங்கார்
58. திரு, நாராயணசாமிஐயர்
59. மு.ராகவையங்கார்
60. திரு. நா.அப்பணையங்கார்
61. வசிஷ்டபாரதி (அந்தகர்)
62. கவிராஜ பண்டித கனகராஜையர்
63. பின்னத்தூர் அ.நாராயணசாமிஐயர்
64. ம.கோபலகிருஷ்ணையர்
65. இவை.அனந்தராமையர்
66. நா.சேதுராமையர் (குசேல வெண்பா)
67. கோவிந்தையர் (மாணிக்கவாசகர் வெண்பா)
68. மகோபாத்யாய உ.வே.சாமிநாத ஐயர்
69. கி.வா.ஜகந்நாதையர்
70. அ.ஸ்ரீநிவாசராகவன்
71. ஸ்வாமி சாதுராம்
72. திராவிடகவிமணி வே.முத்துசாமி ஐயர்.
72. கவிஞர் கொத்தமங்கலம் சுப்பு
மேலும்
காஷ்யப்ப சிவாசாரியார்
பாபநாசம் சிவன்
ஊத்துக்காடு வெங்கடசுப்பையர்
அபிராமி பட்டர்
முத்து தாண்டவர்
திரு கல்கி கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி
திரு தேவன், .......etc

Source: இன்று ஒரு தகவல் /Information Today/Face Book.

பிராமணர்கள் தமிழர்களே கிடையாது, தமிழுக்கும் அவர்களுக்கும் சம்பந்தமே இல்லை என்பது போல பலர் பேசுகிறார்கள்

ஆம்! வீட்டில் கன்னடம் மட்டுமே பேசி வெளியில் தமிழ் மக்கள் மனதில் விஷம் விதைத்த bigriver, வீட்டில் தெலுங்கு பேசி வெளியில் மட்டும் தமிழில் வீரவசனம் பேசுகின்ற அரசியல் தலைவர்கள், தமிழ்நாட்டில் கட்சி தொடங்கி அரசியல் வியாபாரம் செய்கின்ற மாவீரர்கள் வலம் வருகின்ற பூமி தான் தமிழ்நாடு.

தமிழர்கள் இளிச்சவாயர்கள்.

Tamilnadu also has people who tar direction post in hindi on national highways .

So there is balance

All south indians are called madrasis in north.

We do not distinguish between tamil,kannada and telugu.

All are flowers of different colours from the same flower pot.

It is reported that there are nearly fifty Sulabh Shauchalayas (Public Toilets ) in Delhi and all of them are cleaned and looked after by Brahmins (This very welcome public Institution was reported to have been started by a Brahmin).

Further, it is also reported that fifty percent of Rickshaw pullers in Delhi Patel Nagar are Brahmins.

Similarly, most of the Rickshaw pullers in Banaras are also reported to be Brahmins

This may be a part of the sorry state of affair of Brahmins in North India.

Not to speak about the poor plight of Brahmins at Jammu & Kashmir.

Now who deserve immediate attention for upliftment....?

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ts-in-india/story-GUMXtPlPb3v9XYXcEXPGHP.html

We do not want to be overtly active in politics. The idea is to become a pressure group a la the Jews in US.
Brahmins cannot pressurise anyone.

They only yield to pressure due to their satvik nature.

Nor they can be politically active according to you.

Under the circumstances, they can learn to put up with their sufferings and carry on the way they have always done.

Playing the victim card will get them better returns.

When wars cannot be won, saranagathi and touching the feet of politicians and other powerful people is a solution.

Brahmins cannot pressurise anyone.
They only yield to pressure due to their satvik nature.
Nor they can be politically active according to you.
Under the circumstances, they can learn to put up with their sufferings and carry on the way they have always done.
Playing the victim card will get them better returns.
When wars cannot be won, saranagathi and touching the feet of politicians and other powerful people is a solution.

Brahmins as a community are great survivors. Survival requires skills. Sarnagati is for those who give up. I don't believe brahmins will give up. Period.

1)Tamilnadu also has people who tar direction post in hindi on national highways .
So there is balance

2)All south indians are called madrasis in north. We do not distinguish between tamil,kannada and telugu.

1. That is a measured reaction to the overwhelming and suffocating Hindi everywhere. I have lived in north for long. Those hindiwallahs presume with arrogance that every indian they come across knows Hindi and start talking in Hindi even if they know English. And they wanted to bring a rule that All India exams like IAS etc., can be written and interviews too held in Hindi besides English. That was the trigger for the anti-hindi agitation in south. Every action will invite a reaction. And Hindi Enthusiasts understood that they live in a multilingual, multiculture country. They dropped the idea. It is a different story that dravidian parties came to power riding the anti-hindi wave.

And krishji, are you sure all the milestones/nameboards on the national highways in the north have English besides Hindi? Next time when you happen to travel in the Delhi-Chandigarh Highway keep your eyes open and see how many boards have English in them. Most of the drivers from the South become creatures from the Mars as far as the direction posts, milestones etc., are concerned the moment they are beyond the Vindhyas.

2. So what? Who cares!! Let them call us anything they want. To me it shows only the lack of awareness about other cultures existing in the country called Bharat.

You know bare bodied Tamil farmers agitating in delhi talked in queens english while transacting with the press and and general public.

I was stunned that they could talk such good flawless english.

I suppose most tamils would have preferred english as the national language over hindi.

When my classmate -son of north indian brahmin wanted to marry a south indian konkan brahmin , his father sweepingly dismissed it saying they are all rakshasas

south of vindhyas,. He disowned his son for a lifetime for marrying such a girl.

There are extremists in every state and community.

In south they burn hindi arakki and kodumbavi.

That is our hamara pyara hindusthan.

Tamilnadu also has people who tar direction post in hindi on national highways .

All are flowers of different colours from the same flower pot.

Flowers with different coours acceptable..

But there are flowers with thorns and spines.... prove harmful to others...at times innocents victimised...

Delhi’s ‘casual’ racism

What NE students say: Parents calling us back

"After the exodus of NE students from Bangalore, last year, our parents were worried sick. And now, this has happened in Delhi. I can only imagine what our parents are going to do. My parents are going to hear about this soon and I am already dreading their calls. Of course, they don't trust Delhi anymore," says Rolish of Ramjas College. "I studied in Delhi for five years and have just got a job. My parents are already booking my tickets for home and if I resist, they're going to come over and take me back. I can't even blame them. Their panic is justified after hearing about this, back in Guwahati. But I can't afford to lose my job over it, either," says Priyadarshini*, a fashion designer. "I had come home to visit my parents. My classes are about to start, but my parents aren't letting me go. I don't know about Delhi, but here, in Arunachal Pradesh, the situation is very tense. We are going to organize a peace rally where we will march to the Governor's house. There's no way I am going to make it back in time for my classes," says Jhupi, a law student.

Racism part of life in Delhi

"The discrimination is an everyday thing. The comments come uninvited, especially from less educated people. I don't know how many names they have for us, and now, it's a part of our lives here. We too have a 'different' attitude towards them, I'm not going to deny that. But that's probably reaction or self-defence. There is disrespect on both sides, but killing someone over it is beyond me," says Zingjar Vashim of Ramjas College. "In some parts of Delhi, we are treated very 'differently'. They don't give us accommodation, and the landlords try to overcharge because they think we can't bargain in Hindi. Even in the Metro, people just don't stop staring. And they always tease us about Chinese food. But we have to live with it," says Karry*, Hansraj College.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Delhis-casual-racism/articleshow/29716559.cms?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Daily Fix: As Africans are attacked 40 km from Delhi, India must confront its racism problem

Everything you need to know for the day (and a little more).

Excerpt:

After a teenager in Greater Noida died of a suspected drug overdose on the weekend, a mob wasted no time in fixing the blame on African students who live in the area. Since Saturday, several Nigerian students have been brutally attacked by mobs claiming that people from that Western African country are disproportionately involved in the narcotics trade. Bizarrely, a rumour got around that Nigerian students were cannibals who had eaten up the teenager. Protestors took to the streets demanding that all Africans leave the Greater Noida area, a hub for private universities that draw students from several parts of the developing world. The violence unfolded a mere 40 km from the national capital.

Source: https://scroll.in/article/833115/th...-delhi-india-must-confront-its-racism-problem

North is very feudal...Only Hindi works there except in Bengal & East..Bengalis care tow hoots for Hindi & they converse in Bengali wherever they go!!

Language barriers are broken in Madhushaala.

Hear A .Bachan recite Madhushaala written by his father Harvansh rai Bachan.

Amma loyalist Edappadi Palanisamy, CM of Tamil Nadu is reported to be following the foot steps of JJ

Jayalalithaa writes to Modi against use of Hindi, calls the issue ‘highly sensitive’

Jayalalithaa termed the Centre's move on use of Hindi as being "against letter and spirit" of the law.

Terming the Centre’s move on use of Hindi as being “against letter and spirit” of the law, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to suitably modify the instructions to ensure that English was the language of communication on social media. She termed the issue and “highly sensitive” and one that “causes disquiet to the people of Tamil Nadu”.

The Chief Minister said she had learnt that two office memoranda issued by the Union Home Ministry “direct that official accounts on social media like Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Google and YouTube, which at present use only English, should compulsorily use Hindi, or both Hindi and English, with Hindi being written above or first.”

That makes the use of Hindi mandatory and English optional, she said in the letter.

“As you are aware, as per the Official Languages Rules, 1976, communications from a central government office to a state or Union Territory in Region “C” or to any office (not being a central government office) or person in such state shall be in English.”

“This provision has been introduced following the introduction of a mandatory proviso in Section 3(1) of the Official Languages Act, 1963, by an amendment in 1968 which states (that), ‘English language shall be used for purposes of communication between the Union and a state which has not adopted Hindi as its official language,” she pointed out.

Read more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/in...se-of-hindi-calls-the-issue-highly-sensitive/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back