• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A group of frequent posters left this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

A few frequent posters left en-mass in a huff. Some others speculated in the thread "God Exists".
I am sorry to loose anyone from the site, it must be even more difficult for the moderator and site administrator.
It is free site and people joining or leaving is entirely voluntary.
I while missing their knowledge, do think I can do without the constant insult to Hinduism, and Brahmins. It used to be a constant distraction as every thread was taken to bashing brahmins.
We would like to welcome them back, but you need to respect the majority.

A few frequent posters left en-mass in a huff. Some others speculated in the thread "God Exists".
I am sorry to loose anyone from the site, it must be even more difficult for the moderator and site administrator.
I while missing their knowledge, do think I can do without the constant insult to Hinduism, and Brahmins. It used to be a constant distraction as every thread was taken to bashing brahmins.

Dear sir,

You have good thoughts for others and that is admirable.

Most of us feel the same as you too..no one likes anyone to leave.

Actually its actually not fully right to say
We would like to welcome them back,
becos TB forum does not belong to anyone of us in specific.
Every member here is a guest and a guest is a person who decides when he/she would like to visit and when he/she would like to leave.

Dear Sri Prasad1 Ji,

I think that this Forum has lost very valuable members, if the folks we have in mind, stay away.

There is nothing wrong in questioning anything in this Forum through civil discourse. We should not be diminished as people just because some folks from our own community and others raise logically valid questions. We should be able to respond on logical grounds; the ultimate proof of validity of us lies in the existence of our community and the good we bring to the society.

I am not one of those folks who look down upon their views. Their views are valid, seen from the evolution of India over centuries in a lot of ways. I think what started as an idealistic system of Varnas, as usual (as every idealistic system has done so far in our history) degenerated in to the current Jaathi system we have, and every Jaathi, I think is responsible for this condition. Almost a quarter of our brothers still live as a group that were not even included in the Jaathi system. This is the true curse of our Mother Land.

My only difference with these folks is that they ascribed all the past evils to one community and think that we need to carry that burden. I reject this view. But again, some of you may not agree with my view either.

Let us all hope, 'they' will come back and join the discussions based on generating new ideas that will not only serve our community, but all the humanity as well.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:

Dear Sri Prasad,

Indeed it is a loss for a Community forum to lose enthusiastic members due to difference in opinion on subjects of discussion. With regret I have seen some members in their over enthusiasm indulge in personal innuendos resulting in avoidable friction. Moderation in language and mutual respect should be the key words to be kept in mind while posting our views in this Community platform. We should never forget that Brahmins are intellectual individuals claim to be a community, but very difficult to "shepherd".
Moderators of this forum have difficult but a great responsibility in steering the members from indulging in verbal duels of personal nature, digressing away from the subjects takenup for discussion.
I agree with the views expressed by Sri KRS and join him in inviting the members who have left the Tamil Brahmins Forum recently, to continue.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I am a new entrant here and so cant vouch as much as the other long-term-ers here.
As Renuka-ji had mentioned, we are no one to either ask them to leave or to stay.
Everyone should be aware of what the implied or explicit purpose of a forum is, and why others join in and stay aligned atleast at that level.
May be they had deeper knowlegde on some subjects and had the skill to present it in an appealing way, but one must admit that they come with the background of contempt and prejudice towards this community and as always make it a point to insert them in any of their posts or replies - even a simple answer or clarification will have this.
I for one wouldnt want to take any advice or knowledge from a non practioner or from a critic, however great that knowledge is, even if means being deprived of it. It is nothing do with the ego, it is more do with the trust. Why would I trust that I would see goodness and goodwill in their offer?
Again, I am no one to ask them to come back or stay away, but if they do not change or moderate themselves and come back because of the desperation of some of the members, and continue the same way it would do more harm to the forum than good - atleast that is my guess.

If those people KNOW why they are doing what they are doing - they need no invitation to return.

If they do not know why they have left, it is mystery to everyone including them.

But I can ASSURE you of one trait of human behaviour I have watched over these years.

A person who has been in the limelight CANNOT disappear into oblivion for long.

Even if they catch hold of another website
(the way the caterpillar does from leaf to leaf)
how long do you think it will take them to reach this stature and enjoy the glory of adulation!

I am sure right now they are in invisible mode - waiting and watching for the opportune moment to return and resume their prior tasks.

This has happened several times before. They went to the extent of contemplating a new forum at their personal expenses - to air their views freely.

So stop worrying and enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

It would be good if they come back. Maybe this could be due to the festive time and/or they are travelling.

It is quite common for people to differ in views but ultimately it is all for the good.

It is indeed a sad loss for us all if they decide to stay away. I am sure they are reading this. If you are, We would love to have you back!

Differences of opinion is quite natural but that should not hold you back from participating and sharing your knowledge with the rest of the community.

So, please come back!

Dear Mr. Praveen
You prove that you are far more mature for your age than us the grey haired and grey celled oldies!
Hats off to your nobility and forbearance! :clap2:

If the administrators, senior and honourable members all feel bad about the action and think their absence will do harm to community and the forum, why not offer to restore all edited contents and give them unmoderated access to their voices and opinions. If it appears that the actions were not to the administrators or moderators liking too and were supposedly playing to the gallery, why all these drama? Send them white doves, offer them a red carpet.

Google says won't remove contents just because it's controversial

I am going to be a bit point blank here..I am sure most of us here dont mind debating with anyone who has opposing views but at times when some people play "fighter pilot" and shoot down any reasonable thought there is no scope for any beneficial debate.

Its ok to have opposing views but at least we need to hear out our opponent.
We cant just form an impression that our opponent is always 100% wrong.

Right now in God exists thread a few of us are debating about Bhakti and views differ but there is a unwritten freedom for us to quote religious text freely without hearing that its Fiction!! Man made etc..that freedom I am enjoying for now.

dear Sir!
I am not implying anything as there is no need to!
you are chronologically three months senior to me in this forum.
So naturally you too would have noticed what used to happen on and off!

Do you imply that the return of those who left the forum will destroy the peace and quiet of other members?

Dear Mr. Siva,
Thank you for giving me the 1500th LIKE
to my post # 6 in this thread! :happy:

Let mine be 1501th.... (here a doubt 1501-th or 1501-st..?)

As you are a senior member, I have a Q for you. How are the marks accorded for "reputation"? Most have 10, (you have 11), some have 25, 80 etc.. How is the "reputation" guaged here?

Regards,

Dear Mr. Narayan,

your 1501st LIKE makes me even more happy.

Any day 1501 > 1500! Isn't it? :)

Do you see a six pointed David's star under the post.

If someone wants to add to your reputation they just have to

click on it. I am not sure how the negative marking works

though. So just like the Likes a person can go on adding to the

reputation of his star writer by clicking on the star.

Some kind friend had clicked for me and it is at 11 since ages.

I found this out very recently since I noticed that the reputation

changing in a weird manner quite unpredictably.

Here is a click on your David's star :) for your * question!

Let mine be 1501th.... (here a doubt 1501-th or 1501-st..?)

As you are a senior member, I have a Q for you. How are the marks accorded for "reputation"? Most have 10, (you have 11), some have 25, 80 etc.. How is the "reputation" guaged here?

Regards,

Last edited:
I found out the secret. ( It works both ways perhaps.)

The dialogue box asks whether we approve or disapprove of the post.

Approval means +1 and disapproval means (-) 1

We have to give a valid reason for the click.

Isn't it really cool!!!
:clap2:

I found out the secret. ( It works both ways perhaps.)

The dialogue box asks whether we approve or disapprove of the post.

Approval means +1 and disapproval means (-) 1

We have to give a valid reason for the click.

Isn't it really cool!!!
:clap2:

I do not understand. Please bear with me for being a bit dense. Now I checked up (points for reputation - under head "experience"). My point for reputation is suddenly 178!!!! and yours have gone up from 11 to 44. I think there is some craziness here!!!

i am curious about sh.sangom. may be still with his year end holidays.

eagerly awaiting his interesting posts

Respectable members,

Since I am not a 'regular' here, I don't know what all happened. But if this forum has not been suffering due to their boycott (exit) why should we at all worry or even take notice?

I find now there are less arguments and almost all posters talk praisingly about brahmins and sanatana dharma, etc., which is what a website for brahmins should be. But there is some double standards here also I think.

1. People are not even wanting to bring back the brahmin way of living of the last century beginning and are happy to build a new brahmin culture observing midnight new year celebrations, the drinking and revelling which the Mleccha culture has attracted our people with. When a venerable person like Sarma_sastrigal says Atma Pradakshinam is not right, there are voices justifying it with the words of someone else, etc.

To me it looks like we have our own individual hinduism brands and brahmin culture brands about which each is highly proud and possessive. In this way, what will remain is only bickerings.

2. I think there are still non-brahmins and non-hindus being allowed to say whatever they want to say, praising swamijis and all. If at all, this forum should entertain only the views and upadesams of our brahmin acharyas like sringeri and kanchi and the rest should not be.

If what I write is not to the liking of some, then why drive away some who go a few steps more and hold that god is all imagination, brahmins are bad, and many brahmin notions are superstitions, etc?

give them unmoderated access to their voices and opinions.
There is unmoderated access to their voices and opinions. Only when this access crosses the line and into the "personal" space that moderation becomes necessary. Most often if one is able to draw a line and stay behind it without getting too emotional/personal, then there are no issues. but in the heat of the discussion, it does cross the line. When the moderator steps in, fireworks erupt.
One must also understand, something that was moderated in topic A need not be moderated in topic B because it might be relevant to the topic or the discussion happening.

In many cases, people have been told. They have been asked not to drag what was discussed in Topic A to Topic B. But it does not happen.

Self Moderation is very important here. How much we give unmoderated access and freedom of speech, there does come a time when certain things do cross the line of sensitivity.

Sensitivity levels of people also vary a lot. In a scenario where one does not meet face to face, before replying one has to be double sure whether it will hurt someone else's sentiments or not. Very often the most number of complaints come from those passive readers and non-active participants.

If it appears that the actions were not to the administrators or moderators liking too and were supposedly playing to the gallery, why all these drama? Send them white doves, offer them a red carpet.

No one asked them to go. No one forced them to go. It was entirely their choice. We only stepped in to warn them against crossing the line and stay away from topics where they might be issues. I guess as a moderator we can do that. But when we do that, either we are questioned publically (which is not allowed) or the member leaves.

So, If your Boss pulls you up for some work not done, are you going to quit your job saying he/she has been unfair to me?

All that is being asked is Be Wise, Put yourself in the other person's shoes, Understand different people have different sensitivity levels , stay away from posting personal remarks (if someone has posted against you, ignore) and most of all let bygones be bygones - no need to drag what was discussed yesterday or in a diff topic to the current one.

I do not think this is a big ask from anyone.

Beyond this nothing more from my side. If they still decide to stay away, its fine with me. I respect their decision. If they do decide to come back, the site is always open for them.

If the administrators, senior and honourable members all feel bad about the action and think their absence will do harm to community and the forum, why not offer to restore all edited contents and give them unmoderated access to their voices and opinions. If it appears that the actions were not to the administrators or moderators liking too and were supposedly playing to the gallery, why all these drama? Send them white doves, offer them a red carpet.

Google says won't remove contents just because it's controversial

Mr. Ozone we have been on the same side of arguments before. I agree with you on number of post.
I would let Praveen and Mr. KRS to run the website. Like Ms. Renuka said we are all guests here. It is difficult and thankless task to run a website. We all try the limits of their patience. So I would not like to challenge their limits. Please try to understand their position.

Respectable members,

2. I think there are still non-brahmins and non-hindus being allowed to say whatever they want to say, praising swamijis and all. If at all, this forum should entertain only the views and upadesams of our brahmin acharyas like sringeri and kanchi and the rest should not be.

Dear Sarma Ji,

What yaar..we Non Brahmins also like to hang out here saying something or the other.
After all most of the Swamijis are also revered by TBs too.

Respectable members,

Since I am not a 'regular' here, I don't know what all happened. But if this forum has not been suffering due to their boycott (exit) why should we at all worry or even take notice?

I find now there are less arguments and almost all posters talk praisingly about brahmins and sanatana dharma, etc., which is what a website for brahmins should be. But there is some double standards here also I think.

1. People are not even wanting to bring back the brahmin way of living of the last century beginning and are happy to build a new brahmin culture observing midnight new year celebrations, the drinking and revelling which the Mleccha culture has attracted our people with. When a venerable person like Sarma_sastrigal says Atma Pradakshinam is not right, there are voices justifying it with the words of someone else, etc.

To me it looks like we have our own individual hinduism brands and brahmin culture brands about which each is highly proud and possessive. In this way, what will remain is only bickerings.

If what I write is not to the liking of some, then why drive away some who go a few steps more and hold that god is all imagination, brahmins are bad, and many brahmin notions are superstitions, etc?

Mr. Sharma,
We all come from different backgrounds. We might belong to a birth based group but there is no group identity. We have different levels of spiritual aspiration, and appreciations. Some of us are skeptical and willing to question any practice, and reserve the right to accept new ideas. There is no "bible" for our practice and faith. So we can be different and that is the beauty of Hinduism.
In the spirit of Keno upanished and Gita we reserve the right to question any statement.
So do not be surprised we I turn around and call your "faith" superstition while holding on to my faith. There is no supreme authority of Hinduism. No one is more Venerable than others in this site.

I find it objectionable that some individual claims to be superior to others. I find in your posting this questionable tone as if you know better.

Dear Sarma Ji,

What yaar..we Non Brahmins also like to hang out here saying something or the other.

Exactly. I think this B/NB dichotomy will never cease in this forum. Now there is a bifurcation of B/NB swamijis...... a few months before there was a discussion on B/NB Gods!!!

Last edited:
Dear Sarma Ji,

You are too quick my dear. I wrote my piece with you in mind. It is good that you are a good sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back