• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Few Glimpses from South Indian History

Status
Not open for further replies.
....In this medley one can only wonder where the atharvans disappeared.
Dear Happy, from what I am given to believe, our long ago ancestors didn't leave a whole of written historical records. We can only try our best to construct our history based on whatever texts that are available and the records left by other cultures that interacted with our own. If the quilt we construct does not match the vision someone has of our ancients, they can and will simply reject it by saying there is no conclusive proof.

Anyway, I have no idea about these atharvans. I am happy to read your presentation and rely on your reputation for academic rigor as proof enough to accept your view.

Cheers!

Dear ShivKC
Sorry. I was under the(wrong) impression that even in Centres of higher learning one has to follow the rules strictly.Thank you for enlightening me that the rules apply only for Primary Schools.

Thank you Sri saarangam Ji,

Some still insist on being two year old, let alone being in a Primary School!

Regards,
KRS

Dear ShivKC
Sorry. I was under the(wrong) impression that even in Centres of higher learning one has to follow the rules strictly.Thank you for enlightening me that the rules apply only for Primary Schools.

Looks like a school boy's complaint to me... 'Teacher, he is making faces even after you scolded us..."

Dear moderator
Despite your clear guidelines mentioned in Post #565 some members continue their practice of labelling as seen in Post #577
Dear Sri saidevo Ji,
I am surprised at your comment.

Time and again, I have said that the Moderator's word is final here.

Yet, some folks are intent on crossing the line. Sri saarangam Ji should be commended for aiding in moderation, not mocked.

Please be careful as to what you say.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
namaste Raju.

Sane and timely observation, your message in post no.574. And we are yet to see a dalit PM, a dalit CEO/MD of public sector banks (after they were nationalised in 1969) and possibly in several other key posts. Kudos, keep it up!

namaste shrI KRS.

Seems you missed the point I made in my post no.580: that the prescriptions of the moderator in post no.565 are best followed in spirit than in letter, because the 'jalra' and 'proxy' prescriptions cannot be followed to the letter, if we need freedom of expressiion here.

For example, Raju has made a very good observation in his post no.574, for which myself and shrI Nacchinarkiniyan have become 'jalras' because that post needs to be commended. Further, since it is a valid point, I might have to say in a future post of mine that Raju said so and so in post no.574 (or any other post for that matter) in answer to Sangom's (or anyone else's) quote, and this could be construed as 'proxy'--that I am speaking for Raju.

Come on, KRS, we are not puppets here. If you seek to hold all the strings with us, the live characters on the stage of the forum here, you cannot run a fantastic show!

Last edited:
Dear Sri Saidevo Ji,

With all due respect, I said any labeling will be considered as a personal attack and will not be tolerated. What part of this sentence you do not understand?

I never put any restriction on being a 'Jalra'. If you want to be one, go merrily ahead.

But when I put down a rule, I expect the Forum members to abide by it. Looks like, this simple procedure is lost on many of you, going by your response.

Okay, go ahead and violate the rules. And see what happens.

You are not a puppet. But any civilized community has to live by certain rules.

Regards,
KRS

namaste shrI Saarangam.

Yes we had a Dalit President, but no dalit PM until now. The closest was a senior cabinet minister, Jagajivan Ram.

I am glad that you have taken the apparent sneer in my post no.580 in the right spirit. As I have explained in my next post, I did not mean what I said in that post.

namaste shrI KRS.

I fully agree with your prescription about 'labeling', which is why I did not speak about it in my post no.582. I do not mean to violate this rule and if and when you find me doing it, I shall quit posting here, so you don't need to challenge me on this rule.

Speaking about labels in a spiritual sense, you would agree that right from our God names to our personal names and to everything else in this world, are only labels, so we cannot avoid labels in life, although we must be careful not to blindly qualify one label with another label.

Dear Sri Saidevo Ji,

With all due respect, I said any labeling will be considered as a personal attack and will not be tolerated. What part of this sentence you do not understand?

I never put any restriction on being a 'Jalra'. If you want to be one, go merrily ahead.

But when I put down a rule, I expect the Forum members to abide by it. Looks like, this simple procedure is lost on many of you, going by your response.

Okay, go ahead and violate the rules. And see what happens.

You are not a puppet. But any civilized community has to live by certain rules.

Regards,
KRS

..... has made a very good observation in his post no.574, for which myself and shrI Nacchinarkiniyan have become 'jalras' because that post needs to be commended.
Dear Saidevo, I don't want to get into when a "Like" becomes a "Jalra". But, in this particular instance, the "Likes" received for post #574 seems inspired more by team-loyalty than the quality of the post. This must be evident if the context and relevance are taken into account.
[1] The relevant exchange of posts started with post #544 in which Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan made several curious statements about early British rule and the genesis of the Justice party and anti-Brahminism in Tamil Nadu.

[2] Next, Shri Sangom, in
post #552, requested Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan to furnish some references in support of those statements. (aside - so far he has chosen to ignore this request, more below)

[3] Then, I made my
post #562, and cited the status of Madras Presidency at that time from the book that Shri Sangom is excerpting in this thread.
This is the sequence of posts, [1] a claim was made, [2] a request for evidence followed, and [3] I provided relevant information to contradict the original claim made in [1].

Now, the fourth post you and Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan have "Liked" observes that we are lamenting about the situation in 1912 when most of the members in this forum were not even born. In what way is this relevant to the exchange except that it was a pot shot? We talk about Sangam perioid poetry, and I am reasonably sure none of us were even born then, right?

Tell me Saidevo, I have evidence for what I consider to be a false claim made of early 20th century, and I provide that evidence, and do you think that means I am stuck in in early 20th century when I was not born. I hope you see how ridiculous this criticism is.

Even though much progress has been made, the state of Dalits today continuous to be abysmal, true, for which we all need to hang our heads low, but that is a different topic, nothing to do with the curious statements Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan made that got the ball rolling in this exchange.

What is there to "Like" in this pot shot except the kind of "Like" we all feel as Indians when an inside edge from Munaf Patel runs away for four? I think the proliferation of this kind of "Likes" is what Shri KRS was talking about.

All said and done, this "Like" feature is a distraction. There is no way to moderate how this feature gets used. As it is, I am sure, Shri KRS has his hands full -- to monitor the use of "Likes" will make his job unnecessarily burdensome. So, I think it is wise to let it be used in anyway people want, or get rid of the feature.

Cheers!

p.s. I would like to observe that Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan has neither given a response to Shri Sangom's request nor even acknowledged his request. If I remember right, Shri KRS has stated that those who participate in discussions are expected to answer reasonable queries!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Smt. HH,

These are some of my own thoughts on the different points brought out in your above post addressed to Shri Nara.

I think there is as yet no solid evidence for the supposition that in the vast continent (which you postulate) people "(e)ach definitely sharing atleast some amount of a common cultural basis, and yet squabbling over parts that were individualistic to each of them. Competition perhaps..". To the extent of basic requirements like protection from inclement weather, graduation from the wild existence when nudity was not a problem, etc., the people could have had commonality. But beliefs, cultural practices, etc., seem to have undergone significant changes even in the different layers of BMAC or Andronovo. Hence it may not be easy to assume the part about culture and beliefs.

As to competition, I am not sure. But it was (and perhaps still is) a basic human trait of us versus they; xenophobia in its primitive form. That was more at work even in those days. Plus the lure of plunder of whatever was considered valuable — cattle, horses-perhaps, - in BMAC and even in the tri-vedic people - and, most probably women too. (That this plunder is reflected even in sangam poetry is the opinion of many scholars.)
Dear Sir,

I stand corrected regarding lack of solid evidence. Esp in the BMAC and Andronovo culture part.

Wrt common culture and beliefs, i was taking into consideration that Rig and Atharva share common basis of worship directed towards the vedic-deities despite their dis-similarities. Am aware there are different takes on it though.

One is position (A) which opines that Rig and Atharva shared a common cultural basis before splitting and evolving independently. The next is position (B) which opines the commonality of worshipping vedic-deities must have come about as a later merger.

Ushanas takes position A. He feels Rig and Atharva split in a cultural evolution scenario [Indus script and Rg-veda, p.175]: The Indus script and the Ṛg-Veda - Google Books

One example of those who take position B is Randall Collins. He also has some additional interesting takes on the vedic splits and mergers [Sociology of Philosophies, p.193-195]: The sociology of philosophies: a ... - Google Books

Another theory i took into consideration for a common cultural basis was the idea that vedic branches / shakhas themselves split and grew as sects or guilds to propagate their own (sectarian-like) shakha primacy (so they may have been competitors). This too has been mentioned by Collins in the link above.

I do not understand how you put the atharvans as one of the tribes/classes/groups; is there enough supporting evidence for such an assumption?
I feel one cannot really say if the atharvans were a tribe or a group (or were they?). Am thinking they more likely fit the description of a ‘class of priests’. Like one cud say the atharvangirasas were a ‘class of priests’ – and i suppose such a description wud be more appropriate?

The rest of what you say is also new to me. It will be enlightening if you open a new thread (despite your studies and research) and elaborate as to how it is that "(atharva) were explorers and gave the world vedic-astronomy, ayurveda, vedic-mathematics... Even the concepts of karma, moksha, and after-life are supposedly from the atharva."
I mentioned so based on info available on Atharva-Veda (AV)

Frawley says Ayurveda goes back to the angirasa rishis who used herbs in the rigveda. However AV contributes maximum to the veda which came to be called ayurveda.

There is even a saying that “atharva-vedasya ayurvedatvam uktam bhavati” (atharvaveda gave rise to ayurveda). Page 278-280 of this book provides some info on the development of ayurveda from atharvaveda: A history of Indian philosophy - Google Books

Although Rigveda mentions nakshatras, i read on google books that a complete listing of the nakshastras are given only by Yajur-taittiriya and atharva-veda (AV 19.7). The books mention that AV provides placement of ayana (in magha / leo), uses the term ‘divichara graha’ to refer to 'planets', mentions “rahu”, mentions constellations and prescribes expiatory rites for those born under unlucky stars. So i suppose the AVs were into astronomy (and astrology also).

Was reading google books that even sthapatya- shastra-veda (building architecture particularly related to temples), and vastu-shastra is said to belong to AV [Ref: Hindu Temple, p.11] - The Hindu temple - Google Books

As regards ‘vedic-mathematics’ i think i got unduly carried away by the work of Bharati Krishna Tirtha who claimed it to be from atharva-veda. Wiki has a nice article on his work: Bharati Krishna Tirtha's Vedic mathematics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am also wondering how true is the idea that siddha tradition is "derived from the non-vedic cults of yati, vratya, muni and even sisna-devas" as claimed by SA Sarma in his book “Tamil Siddhas: a study from historical, socio-cultural, and religio-philosophical perspectives”.

Incidentally, I am not clear about the term "arur-magha". (In an earlier post you had referred to "arun mukha" but that directly means "ruddy-faced" rather than about skanda, IMO.)
I had mentioned "arur-magha" as the yatis thrown to wolves by Indra in this post (it does not refer to skanda): http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...impses-south-indian-history-46.html#post73519 Monier-Williams also mentions in his Sanskrit-English dictionary (p.88) that 'arun-mukha' is an irregular form developed from 'arur-magha', a class of certain Yatis. There is some info on the yatis here: Veda - Vedas [Its a blog and no references have been provided so dunno how far it is true].

I had read a web page saying that a large random sample DNA analysis of Indians showed that there is a nearly pure "south gene" which is found in some of the exclusive tribes of Andaman & Nicobar islands and as one travels from south India northwards, the south-gene gets progressively diluted and what the analysis termed as "north-gene" becomes more and more. But the study also said that north-gene of the same purity as in the A&N islanders is not found in any of the north Indian stock. Hence I doubt if genetically the scenario you envisage will hold good. (I am still searching for that paper in my hard disk; as soon as I am able to trace it out, I shall post the details. So, till then it is only my word. But you may be in a better position to find out if there is some research paper of this sort and whether it is genuine.)
Dear Sir, Shall we keep genetics for a seperate thread? But i sense not many are interested in such things here based on my previous postings on that topic.

Now I quote from your post:

"Wonder why the brahmins and the non-brahmins of the colonial time could not realise the deep-rooted commonalities they shared with themselves as the 'south', esp the shared cultural ethos of temples, stunning sculptures, magical rituals of fire and idol worship, etc.

If only better sense had prevailed, then both the Bs and the NBs, could have worked productively for collective-growth together instead of becoming competitors for government jobs.."

That is a big "if only" and this thread, I hope, gives at least some reasons for that.
Yes its a very big "If Only". Sigh.

Last edited:
namaste Nara.

The problem with what you say in post no.574 is that you (deliberately) miss the obvious and stress the trivia.

My preference to 'Like' (and possibily that of shrI Nacchinarkiniyan too) what Raju said in his post no.574 is because of the statistics he provided for the year 2011, and not because he said that the forum members were not born in 1912. Is this not obvious, Nara, specially when I have further appreciated Raju's input in my post no.581 with further inputs on my part? So why do you try to give a twist in what we 'Like' in that post?

[As you can see in my above statement, there is a 'proxy' there: I can't avoid speaking for shrI Nacchinarkiniyan, knowing what he is from his well-meaning posts in this forum. Are you prepared to say that shrI Nacchinarkiniyan 'Like'-d Raju's post for the 'pot shot', rather than for the statistics he has provided? You know that if you do, it would be ungenerous, which is not your style.]

shrI Nacchinarkiniyan stated in his post no.552, "Nor am I interested in proving that I am correct", and followed it up with a quote from Thomas Jefferson in post no.560. So, your PS in post no.587 may not be of help.

Thus, with Raju's post no.574, the issue has become the brahmin-dominant statistics of 1912 vis-a-vis the zero-dalits figures in 2011, which effectively shows what Vivek has argued all along--that the dalits today are harassed by other upper castes and neglected by the politicians. and that brahmins have nothing to do with or regret for the present situation.

As for your observations about the moderator's tough task, I totally agree with you, which is why, in an indirect way, I have tried to convey to him that he is unnecessarily burdening himself.

• This entire thread, right from its OP, is meant to be a debate, wherein members are bound to align into at least two groups. Unlike a paTTimanRam, there is no arbitrator here to judge the result, so there is bound to be shades of acrimony, although there would/should be no personal ill-feelings.

• So, the moderator only burdens himself (unnecessarily IMO) with the three rules he has imposed now, because the added tasks of watching over these rules is bound to increase the pressure of his work and might even tell on his physical health, going by what we the members are and can be in debates.

• The rule about 'labels' may not work because it can always be circumvented. For example, I used to group the people who are for reform here by the label 'reformists'. Now I can group them as 'open minded people' or even 'people who seek reform' and vary the references so they cannot be construed as labels, and obtain what I want to say, right?

• Should the moderator silently and helplessly watch over then? No. He has the most powerful weapon: editing and deleting entire posts. It is obvious because of my being a man of sampradAya, I don't possess the capability of a moderator, but then if I were one, I would first underline/highlight/otherwise indicate in a mild color, right under a post, any objectionable portion of the post, with a caution that if the member does not change/drop it, the entire post will be summarily deleted (despite of any useful contents therein), giving him/her a time of two or three days.

Like everyone here, I have great regard and concern for shrI KRS and his work, which is why I would request him to simplify his tasks, and not complicate them.

namaste everyone.

One is position (A) which opines that Rig and Atharva shared a common cultural basis before splitting and evolving independently. The next is position (B) which opines the commonality of worshipping vedic-deities must have come about as a later merger.

As against such beguiling academic research, for those of us Hindus who believe that sage Veda VyAsa compiled the Vedas into four parts and distributed them to his disciples for future propagation through the guru-shiShya parampara, here is some interesting information:

First the basics: Sage Vyasa is known as Veda Vyasa, as he classified and compiled together, the vast body of Vedas or mantras then existing. He classified the Vedas in four, namely Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvana and taught them respectively to four great Rishis – Sumantu, Vaisampayane, Jaimini and Paila.

Here is a detailed account of the Vedas and shAkhAs:
Sakhas now Studied
Sakhas now Studied from the Chapter "The Vedas", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

Now about the physical manifestation of the esoterica: Sage VyAsa executed the division of the Vedas, sitting under a banyan tree in the NaimiSharanya forest, which is still there in the U.P.

• This forest is some 80 km away from Lucknow in Uttar Pradash and there are vestiges here till date of the past 5000 years at the crossing of the two yugas.

• There is a Chakra-Teertha (waterbody) which is stated to be fathomless as the British failed to disprove the mythology and tried to send down a cable of 1000 meters (3300 feet of depth and gave up; it was in this Sarovar that thousands of Sages took their bath before performing ‘Yagnas’.

• There is a Vyasa Gaddi (Seat) under a Banyan Tree where Sage Vyasa executed the division of Vedas and the writing of Puranas; a huge Hanuman idol of 18 feet- believed to be self-manifested, when Hunuman rescued Rama and Lakshmana hidden by Ravana in Patala Loka up into Chakra Tirtha; and a Pandava Temple.

• Till date, groups of Bramhanas arrive at Naimisharanya periodically to perform Yagnas and Homas from all over India. Also there is a Siva Temple with His eyes looking east in the morning and west in the evenings.

• The presiding Deity Lalita Devi has a Temple around Chakra Tirtha, where thousands take bath every Full Moon Monday and pray to Her for instant fulfillment of desires.

(Ref:: kamakoti.org )

Last edited:
The seriousness which the management is showing in trying to keep discussions on course is commendable. I thnik the memevrs should appreciate this and try to co-operate. But the intent apart, the other relevcant question is whether the efforts would be effective. I see sense in Shri. Saidevo's concern whether the recently introduced rules wrt moderation could not be circumvented or be made ineffective?

But anyway there has to be a serious beginning and in that aspect, I think the management is taking the right steps.

I would like to present my point of view regarding certain statements made in this thread.

I have always been saying that what I write and post is more of an article. Similar to an article in the newspapers. Not like an article in an academic journal.

That being so I do not think I have to convince any one of anything. I was warned by one moderator as under

Once before in one of my interventions I mentioned to you that silence is not an option in these discussions. But you were offended when I said that. Everybody has huge egos in this forum - I am sorry if what I am about to say offends yours. If there are specific queries to your posting please respond. I have received complaints about your non-response. I value your opinions in this forum but please don't make my job difficult for me.
I thought of leaving the forum.

This is a major reason for the conflicts in this forum. In most of the internet forums (religious and computer related) you can remain silent. You do not have to prove anything. You do not have argue "till you are blue in the face." Of course some do.

Even when I have made it clear that I am not here to prove anything or impose my point of view, many members expect me to do that.

I prefer silence. Please allow me that privilege.

Yes. I do accept that I have been guilty of provoking the members. I started my stint in this forum with a very controversial/contentious article. I had said that at the time that it was to make people think. I was called all sort of names. One member called me Chandala. Now some people call me casteist. Life is strange.

I have my own ideas of Hinduism, India and life in general. To me

Hinduism is a religion which accepts all the different paths to Divinity as valid. Hinduism accepts not tolerates all other religions as valid paths.

I quote Christian hymns in my posts about Hinduism. I find some Wicca poems fascinating. I will post one some time.

I have a soft corner for Vedic Pundits, Vedic scholars and Christian missionaries who have devoted their life time to spreading the message of their religion.

I understand the stand of the most traditional/orthodox of Brahmins since I interact/move with them. I may not agree with them. But I definitely understand their point of view.

Again to repeat

Even when I have made it clear that I am not here to prove anything or impose my point of view, many members expect me to do that.

I prefer silence. Please allow me that privilege.

Sri. Sangom had posted about my post regarding English education. I did not post because I did not have a ready answer.

When we talk about the introduction of English education, we are talking about the British East India company, Thomas Macaulay and his predecessors. The time is before 1835. This has been discussed threadbare in many seminars and conferences for a long period of time. The British parliament sought and got a confirmation from the British East India Company that the Brahmins were not given preference and other castes were the main targets of the English education. The confirmation was very general and did not meet with the approval of many members pf the British Parliament who wanted the Brahmins to be totally excluded from English education.

In 1835, Thomas Macaulay articulated the goals of British colonial imperialism most succinctly: "We must do our best to form a class who may be interpreters between us and the millions whom we govern, a class of persons Indian in blood and colour, but English in taste, in opinions, words and intellect."

If you want to know what the English thoughts were you should read Charles Trevelyan's statements.

Colonial Rule in India - British Education, racism, eurocentricism, indology

English education was introduced into India because the British East India Company needed clerks and translators. From 1813 the Company set aside some money for education of the Indians in English. After the Charter Act of 1833 English became the official language. In 1844 Lord Hardinge announced that English-educated Indians would be given preference for government appointments. Free-traders voiced their support for this policy believing it would help develop an Indian population loyal to the British. The missionaries joined in this and expressed their approval for English education as well. Eager to convert Indians from influential families, missionaries recognized how much easier it would be with English as the language of that would facilitate advancement in the professional field. Liberals believed in the civilizing influence of Western philosophy and literature. It was only at the end of the century that these men saw the dangerous side of education, that is, its tendency to promote nationalism and political unrest. At this point of time, the government made attempts to control and even curtail education.
History of English Education in India

The Christian missionaries had a different agenda. Spreading the message of Christ. They did not always see eye to eye with the colonial rulers. Then different denominations had different standards. The Jesuits who played a major role in spreading of Education in India often differed from the British colonial rulers.

You can get an idea of what the British think about the Jesuits here.

EIPS - The Jesuits and their Strategy to destroy Britain

We tend to classify British as one single entity. It is not true. The views of the British civil servant clashed with that of the missionaries and other progressive thinkers from Great Britain. I use great Britain because the Scottish and Irish people did empathize with us because of their age old struggle against English Domination.

Their views on Brahmins was also not uniform. One American writer wrote about Brahmins as "Intellectual Aristocrats". Of course it is a different matter that he belonged to a group known as the "Boston Brahmins".

All this drivel is no answer to Sri.Sangam's question. Only an explanation.

I am not able to understand a few amongst us decrying our community & Rituals. Firstly We have to understand one thing, That the Bramhins are the most tolerant among all communities today.Just because We take all hatred ABISHEGAMS quietly We have been taken for granted.It is time to AWAKE,ARISE

Sri Saidevo
We had a Dalit President, K.R.Narayanan and a Dalit Chief Justice Justice K.G.Balakrishnan.
regards

Dear Sarangom Sir,

That happened in the state ruled by the "poonoolists" (in the vocabulary of kazhagamites this is the word equivalent to communists) called communists. From that state a TB- Krishna Iyer, a Tulu brahmin, Mr. Potti and a pure dalit Mr. Balakrishnan, another pure dalit KR Narayanan all could rise to the top positions. Not from the dravidian ruled Tamilnadu. That can never happen here. The reason: Here the power is in the hands of a dominant, consolidated, rich crowd of middle castes. For them brahmins are required as a whipping boy and dalits are required for shedding crocodile tears and for working as cheap labour in their farms.
Cheers.

Last edited:
namaste everyone.

As against such beguiling academic research, for those of us Hindus who believe that sage Veda VyAsa compiled the Vedas into four parts and distributed them to his disciples for future propagation through the guru-shiShya parampara, here is some interesting information:

First the basics: Sage Vyasa is known as Veda Vyasa, as he classified and compiled together, the vast body of Vedas or mantras then existing. He classified the Vedas in four, namely Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvana and taught them respectively to four great Rishis – Sumantu, Vaisampayane, Jaimini and Paila.

Sakhas now Studied
Sakhas now Studied from the Chapter "The Vedas", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

Now about the physical manifestation of the esoterica: Sage VyAsa executed the division of the Vedas, sitting under a banyan tree in the NaimiSharanya forest, which is still there in the U.P.
This is a matter of belief.

Seriously, we do not know if Vyasa was sitting under a banyan tree in the Naimisharanya forest or if he was sitting somewhere along the banks of the Yamuna river to compile the vedas. We do not even know if the one who wrote Mahabharat was the same Vyasa who compiled the vedas.

It is often claimed that Vyasa compiled the 4 vedas. If he had already done so before the smrithi period, then why are most of the smrithis silent on the fourth veda, the atharva? Is there any smrithi that mentions atharva as a veda?

Am presenting a sample herewith:

1) Manu states that those who know the “Rig, Yajur and Sama” shall be known (to form) an assembly consisting of at least three members (and competent) to decide doubtful points of law. [ManuSmrithi 12.112]

The Atharva-Vedis were not included to be part of such an assembly. Manu does not even mention anything called the "atharva-veda".

2) Yagnavalkya states that the King should study the trayee-veda, that is the 3-fold science of the Trayi, “Rik, Yajur and Sama” [Yagnavalkya Smrithi 12.310].
Again, the Atharva-Veda is not included in this.

3) Yagnavalkya says the King must appoint a purohita who is an astrologer well versed in the theory of punishments (arthashastra) as well as in atharva-angiras [Yagnavalkya Smrithi 12.313].

This indicates that the rulers had nothing to do with the atharva-veda. They did not study it themselves. They only employed an astrologer-purohit well-versed in rituals so he may perform ceremonies for the king.

But of note is that Yagnavalkya does not even use the term "veda" to mention the atharva. Wonder if he even considered atharva-vidya in the position of a "veda".

But why really was atharva not recognised as a veda by the "trayi-veda" group? One may ponder over how Apasthamba put the atharva-veda in the category of women and shudras:
“The knowledge which Shudras and Women possess is the completion of all study and this knowledge is a supplement of the Atharva-Veda” [Apasthamba Smrithi.2.2.11.29.11-12].

Regards.

Last edited:
The following are portions from the OP of this thread:

“There have been repeated references to tabras’ zeal for social reform, eradication of caste prejudices, etc., and our (present day tabras’) moral duty to project these aspects as magnified as possible and thus blame the NBs of Tamil Nadu, for following EVR and his DK, and working the anti-brahmin sentiments to its zenith, thus exiling tabras from their ancestral homeland, etc. In one of those threads I wrote my view that there is not much tangible material evidence for projecting the role played by the tabra community in general – or even a sizeable section among them – as having had a reformist bent of mind and so it is better that we, today, rather not talk about our past but accept magnanimously, that there was some substance in the anti-brahmin sentiment rising to such powerful levels in Tamil Nadu, and that it cannot be attributed solely either to the ability of EVR to incite the masses, or to the utter gullibility of the masses and their conveniently forgetting the many good things which tabras did for them.

But that view of mine, somehow, got interpreted differently as pessimistic attitude, defeatist mentality, disdain for our community, etc., on my part.”

After a large number of posts by different members, it is found that while the discussions branched off and covered many other topics of a secondary relevance also, the main counter-arguments were:-

There was no anti-Brahman feeling at all in the Tamil society before the advent of the British and that, on the contrary, the Brahmans were held in high esteem for their erudition and soft (meek) nature, their strict adherence to the religious way of life and their tendency to not hanker for material possessions and riches, but to lead contented lives with bare minimum requirements etc.

The British craftily gave shape to the “divide and rule” policy and, towards this end, they created the Dravidian psychology and made a wedge between the Brahmans (constituting a small percentage of the total population) on one side and the rest of the Tamil society constituting near about 95% of the population even at the material time.

The British encouraged the 95% non-Brahmans to revolt against the peace-loving, meek and economically not well-off 5% Brahmans and weaken them. If one adheres to the trend of the opinions expressed here, such a development would, in the view of the British, weaken the entire Tamil society sufficiently as to make it a safe turf for British colonialism to survive at least in that part of India.

Thus the Brahmans of Tamil Nadu are today a community which has been historically much wronged against and there is no question of wrongs committed by the Brahmans.

The fact that atrocities against Dalits and other lower castes continue even today is more than sufficient evidence (proof), if such evidence is required at all, to show that Brahmans had no role at any time in caste-based inequitable treatment resulting in caste-based atrocities. However, the view that Brahmans observed/are probably observing certain practices like untouchability, for ensuring ritual purity for themselves, has been admitted and strongly argued for within one’s house.

Lastly the deleterious effects of the reservations system for admissions to professional courses as also for government jobs, has been brought out with sufficient vigour.

If the above views are correct, much of the material (though factual) of excerpts from the book, which was presented by me in different posts under this thread, would need appropriate re-interpretation. That is a task for future researchers upholding the aforesaid views, to make and justify. I would say that the materials served the purpose here to the extent they served to elicit the above views of this forum.

I am not covering the opposite point of view and opinions expressed in support thereof, because that I think is adequately summarized in the paragraph from the OP, given above.

I will like this to be my last post under this thread. I now leave it to the learned members to see whether the above summarization done by me is fair enough or needs any factual correction/s, and then, leave it to the best judgment of the Super moderator to close this thread or allow it to continue.

Last edited:
namaste everyone.

Sakhas now Studied

Thank you sir for re-emphasizing the traditional opinion. Reading posts like this, I feel there is someone who wants to talk on behalf of tradition. Lot of things are considered just a belief. But everything we know is a belief, including the belief that we are not dreaming and that everything in the world is the way we perceive it to be. The rishis have left a vast system that has nourished such beliefs and our personal practice of such beliefs vindicate that the claims about vedas is not baseless.
Swami Sivandanda has said that " a small amount of practice" is greater than thousands of thories .

Many thanks again

Dear Saidevo, I don't want to get into when a "Like" becomes a "Jalra". But, in this particular instance, the "Likes" received for post #574 seems inspired more by team-loyalty than the quality of the post. This must be evident if the context and relevance are taken into account.
[1]

About every like added here we can write a thesis. It will be only the impressions of those who are finding themselves beaten in their own game.

The relevant exchange of posts started with post #544 in which Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan made several curious statements about early British rule and the genesis of the Justice party and anti-Brahminism in Tamil Nadu.
[2] Next, Shri Sangom, in
post #552, requested Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan to furnish some references in support of those statements. (aside - so far he has chosen to ignore this request, more below)
[3] Then, I made my
post #562, and cited the status of Madras Presidency at that time from the book that Shri Sangom is excerpting in this thread.
This is the sequence of posts, [1] a claim was made, [2] a request for evidence followed, and [3] I provided relevant information to contradict the original claim made in [1].

How nice it would have been if it was all about such an open and shut case. I reproduce below for reference Sangom Sir's post no. 563 for saving space and time as it contains all the earlier references in the sequence given above.The bold letters there are what I have highlighted.

Post no. 563 of Sangom:
Originally Posted by Nara
Dear Shri Sangom sir, I find it incredible that a single civil service officer was so successful in separating the NBs from Bs to the extent of sowing the seeds of the most virulent anti-Brahmin movement in the history of Tamil country. The statistics from the book you started excerpting in this thread "Politics and Social Conflict in South India - The Non-Brahman Movement and Tamil Separatism, 1916 - 1929", by Eugene F. Irschick, University of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles, 1969, is much more convincing.
Here is a very revealing paragraph:
In government service, figures compiled by the Madras government in 1912 (Table 1) illustrate the consistently strong domination of the Brahmans in many upper levels of government service. The distribution of appointments among Deputy Collectors, Sub-Judges, and District Munsifs (all high positions so far as Indian employment was concerned) show that Brahmans in 1912 held 55, 82.3, and 72.6 percent of the posts then available to Indians. By contrast, non-Brahman Hindus (probably Vellalas, Balija Naidus, Nairs, and a sprinkling of Kammas and Reddis) held only 21.5, 16.1, and 19.3 percent of the total appointments. The Indian Christians and Muslims were well behind.
The site is not letting me upload a pdf file containing two tables that elaborate on the above. I will keep trying. (I have uploaded the tables as jpg files in the Gallery sectionNara's Images - Tamil Brahmins Photo Gallery @ Tamil Brahmin Community.)
If the British wanted to keep Brahmins down, they had a strange way of going about it, wouldn't you say?
p.s. .unfortunately this is found in an academic book, probably unacceptable to some here ...

It was not a mere reproduction of the posts of Mr. Iniyan and Sangom. They were interspersed with sharp and clear views like" here is a very revealing paragraph","Iwill keep trying to upload two tables that elaborates on the above" may appear to be innocuous. But they are not when one reads the p.s. which says"unfortunately this is found in an academic book, probably unacceptable to some here ...". The post #574 by me has a context and that context is this as revealed by the comments from Mr. Nara preceding the posts of Mr. Iniyan and Sangom Sir. in which for the umpteenth time the topic of brahmins' historic burden was being presented with a flourish, and what more- a taunt.
Now, the fourth post you and Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan have "Liked" observes that we are lamenting about the situation in 1912 when most of the members in this forum were not even born. In what way is this relevant to the exchange except that it was a pot shot? We talk about Sangam perioid poetry, and I am reasonably sure none of us were even born then, right?

Please read what I have posted above. It was not a pot shot. It was a shot aimed at an attempt to glorify the 'revealing' findings of some Europeans/Indians published in an 'academic book' containing a number of tables. The shot was accompanied by another small table from the Times of India. The argument that we need not be born in that age to talk about paleolithic age does not wash here. ஆனைக்கு அர்ரம்னால் குதிரைக்கு குர்ரம்மா ?

Tell me Saidevo, I have evidence for what I consider to be a false claim made of early 20th century, and I provide that evidence, and do you think that means I am stuck in in early 20th century when I was not born. I hope you see how ridiculous this criticism is.

Disproving a false claim, if it was there, is not the issue here. The comments and the taunt are the issue.

Even though much progress has been made, the state of Dalits today continuous to be abysmal, true, for which we all need to hang our heads low, but that is a different topic, nothing to do with the curious statements Mr. Nacchinarkiniyan made that got the ball rolling in this exchange.

There is a relevance. Whether it is paleolithic age, Sangam Age or 25th Century-- people try to first fulfill their needs before becoming altruistic. Brahmins are no exception to this general rule. (Atma is Aananthamayam always). That is what Iniyan was trying to say and that is exactly what I have also tried to point out in my own way in my post #574.
What is there to "Like" in this pot shot except the kind of "Like" we all feel as Indians when an inside edge from Munaf Patel runs away for four? I think the proliferation of this kind of "Likes" is what Shri KRS was talking about.

Hope now it would be clear as why people liked the post #574. The attempt to rope in Sri KRS into this is understandable.

All said and done, this "Like" feature is a distraction. There is no way to moderate how this feature gets used. As it is, I am sure, Shri KRS has his hands full -- to monitor the use of "Likes" will make his job unnecessarily burdensome. So, I think it is wise to let it be used in anyway people want, or get rid of the feature.
There is no need to moderate it. There is no need to throw away the baby with the bath water either. If some one likes something there is nothing wrong in expressing it in just one word instead of wasting a number of bits and bytes and HTML pages.We need not look at likes as tags to a meta data. If any thing, they are tags or labels to just data that is put in. We are all matured enough to understand that the more likes we receive does not mean more votes supporting a particular behaviour. If any one allows such a 'kick' to go to his head moderator will cure him.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear Srimathi HH Ji,

You said,
"But Sir, the origins of advaita are from where? Is it vedic? Or were Govinda Bhagavatpada and Gaudapadacharya preaching a break-off branch from Buddhism? But merely included the concept of a "omnipresent force" -- an ideology that was incorporated into their philosophy in the 'dwindling times of buddhism'. Ofcourse Adi Shankara arrived on the scene and completed the buddhism-demolition job. Little wonder that kevala-advaita is purely atheist...It remains a mystery to me which concepts of advaita are from the vedas...Hopefully you being well-versed in advaita might shed some light on all this."

Are you saying that

1. There is no foundation to be drawn upon from Vedas the concept of Advaitha?
2. Acharyal Shankara's efforts effectively finished off Buddhism in India?

If so, please provide citations to item # 2. I will furnish the details on item # 1.

But, please confirm whether my understanding is correct.

Regards,
KRS
Dear Sir,

I typed out a reply and found it running into 3 pages (and am still not done with the comparison part between advaita and buddhist concepts). So please give me some time. I shall start a new thread and put up all the material there. However, i shall reply to your second question first here:

(2) I do not think Adi Shankara efforts effectively finished off Buddhism in India. Buddhism thrives in India well enough (though as a minority religion). The downfall of Buddhism was mainly achieved by muslim invaders who razed Buddhist monastries, and ransacked Buddhist universities like Nalanda, Vikramashila, etc. By the time Adi Shankara came on the scene Buddhism was already dwindling. However, Shankara did debate Buddhists and helped in demolishing it from the intellectual pov.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back