• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

எங்கே Sri Vaishnavam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri suraju06 Ji,

Let me first of all congratulate you on your attitude as well as the manner with which you are discussing the issue with Pref. Nara Ji.

You have said it best (I have higlighted your remarks below). If each one of us takes this view and not see some broad 'Brahmin bashing', when a counter point is proposed, we will be better off as a community.

Prof. Nara Ji has not hidden his views about castes. He is not hiding his views from the public and promoting his views in a stealth manner. He is putting forward his case in a well organized fashion with his interpretations on a wealth of citations from our literature. If one does not agree with his views, then let that person, aka yourself, give a cogent counter argument.

We are all TBs, by birth and culture. So, let us not cast aspersions on others, just on the positions they take on various issues.

Thank you once again for understanding this.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Mr. Sapthajihva,
Thank you for your advice. But I do not intend to give up that early. I am still interested in haaving a dialogue with Mr. Nara on this topic if not to prove any point, at least to let others reading these postings to know that there are indeed counter points. Caste is a very controversial subject and people usuallu take extreme positions. Rarely do you find someone who puts the things in the right perspective. I am not bothered about the brahmin bashing that goes on since time immemorial. I am certainly worried about people trying to prove that Azhwars and Acharyas have gone wrong. That is what has encouraged me to take this up. Let me see where this goes.

Dear Sri suraju06 Ji,

Let me first of all congratulate you on your attitude as well as the manner with which you are discussing the issue with Pref. Nara Ji.

You have said it best (I have higlighted your remarks below). If each one of us takes this view and not see some broad 'Brahmin bashing', when a counter point is proposed, we will be better off as a community.

Prof. Nara Ji has not hidden his views about castes. He is not hiding his views from the public and promoting his views in a stealth manner. He is putting forward his case in a well organized fashion with his interpretations on a wealth of citations from our literature. If one does not agree with his views, then let that person, aka yourself, give a cogent counter argument.

We are all TBs, by birth and culture. So, let us not cast aspersions on others, just on the positions they take on various issues.

Thank you once again for understanding this.

Regards,
KRS
Dear KRS, Please address me as Raju. This is the name with which I have signed all my postings.Raju became suraju06 because the computer wanted it that way to increase the safety.Some safety I believe.
Thank you for the nice words you have said. But i also differ on some points. In my view telling brahmins that there are no castes without telling others the same thing is also brahmin bashing. I would even suspect that there is a secret agenda. As far as Mr. Nara is concerned, he appears to be selectively marshalling his resources to support a single point agenda. I am saying this here because you have mentioned it in glowing terms here. He is at times misinterpreting, at times quoting out of context and at times putting his own meanings into original contributions. As I had a feeling that i was dealing with blasphemy,with trepidity I have taken this up. As I have said I am waiting for his response. Let me see what shape this dialogue takes.Thank you.

As I said earlier, interpretations can be many, but the original intent could be quite different...

Given the literal, one might interpret it to his convenience... there is the incident in akbar's court where the meaning 'bari bari' was asked... (I do not recollect it exactly now), but different persons gave different meanings and at last birbal was asked his opinion... he studied the case and opined that each saw the meaning according to their perception, which varied depending on their literacy, occupation etc....

Hence, merely illustrating an interpretation is by itself a crime... it means that the person has not had the diligence to look through the eyes of the originator....

My point is that counter arguments against such misinterpretations is a waste of time... the attitude of the thread originator is not going to change through the dialogue... only thing as shri Raju had said is that the readers could judge for themselves....

Dear Sri Raju Ji,

Okay - I am now finding a yet another definition for 'Brahmin Bashing'.

My point is this. Our community is being bashed elsewhere within TN, we do not need to create such code words to describe the thoughts from some of our members, who think that it is in the best interests of our community that caste is a burden we carry. Intellectually I don't see a problem with such thinking, and would not term it as 'bashing', especially because Prf. Nara Ji have said why he wants TBs alone to disclaim our caste identity. You may not agree with him, but he does offer an explanation. So to call this a 'brahmin bashing' is an extreme view and I do not agree with tagging such phrases on to some of our own members, whatever be their stance.

I do not personally agree with some of Prof. Nara Ji's views and I have said so publicly here in this very Forum. While I have tagged some of his opinions with some words he has considered as harsh, I would like to suggest that a word like 'brahmin bashing' applied to one of our own members, in my opinion is quite unwarranted. Because it totally ignores the fact we are all here as well wishers of our community. We should resrve this particular word to describe those who do not harbour any well wishes for our community.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS, Please address me as Raju. This is the name with which I have signed all my postings.Raju became suraju06 because the computer wanted it that way to increase the safety.Some safety I believe.
Thank you for the nice words you have said. But i also differ on some points. In my view telling brahmins that there are no castes without telling others the same thing is also brahmin bashing. I would even suspect that there is a secret agenda. As far as Mr. Nara is concerned, he appears to be selectively marshalling his resources to support a single point agenda. I am saying this here because you have mentioned it in glowing terms here. He is at times misinterpreting, at times quoting out of context and at times putting his own meanings into original contributions. As I had a feeling that i was dealing with blasphemy,with trepidity I have taken this up. As I have said I am waiting for his response. Let me see what shape this dialogue takes.Thank you.

My point is that counter arguments against such misinterpretations is a waste of time... the attitude of the thread originator is not going to change through the dialogue... only thing as shri Raju had said is that the readers could judge for themselves....

saptha,

i would like to make one comment on the last para.

if everyone took to this logic, there is no dialogue. only silence, in the midst of misunderstanding.

to me, the whole purpose of the forum interaction, is not to change views. that would indeed be SOMETHING.

most of us are set in our ways, and this goes back to our historical past - upbringing, values, experiences, exposures and above all a matter of faith, in this particular instance.

changes, always come from within, and in many an occassion, crystallizes over a period of time.

the purpose, i think, of a dialogue, is not so much to change, as much as to interact, and perhaps find points of intersections and susbsets of commonality.

i agree, that this may not mean much to some, as the divisions are deep and any attempt to provide bridges is futile.

i think, it is perhaps, an extension bit too far, to consider nara's arguements under the aegis of பிராமண துவேஷம்.

he has taken the history of srivaishnavam from its dawn and ideal hopes of a casteless society.

again caste, has so many implications today, that i think, no two persons will agree 100% on its multifarious extended claws. so all pervading is this concept, so unique to hinduism, within our psyche.

surprisingly, much as TBs become ardent casteists within the borders of india, appear to be nonchalant, in my view, once they are outside of it.

particularly in north america, caste, in the next generation, appears to be a layer, that is cast off without any sorrow or second thought, if it is to be judged by the marriages within the hindu community.

what does one say of that? these are educated people, young and articulate, but brought up in an essentially casteless environment.

to many of these, they are hindus. plain, essential hindus. no castes.

Dear Sri Sapthajihva Ji,

You said "My point is that counter arguments against such misinterpretations is a waste of time... the attitude of the thread originator is not going to change through the dialogue... "

Of course not! The originator usually starts a thread with his/her POV. He then goes about buttressing that POV with arguments, hopefully backed up by logic. The readers then decide which has the forcefulness of truth. That is the function of forums like ours.

If one does not like the logic behind the postings, then by all means argue and present your views. I do not understand these indirect ways of criticizing a person's postings through a third person. My point is, please be direct. A person takes energy and time to post his/her views here. At least you can directly respond to them instead of talking with another person, trying to charecterize those postings. This does not add much to the discussions, except to create labeling.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Hello Shri Raju, Greetings!

Dear Mr. Narayan, (I did not want my salutation to be hanging in the air like some mumbo jumbo. So I have added three letters to your name to complete it.

No problem. If you wish to add couple of more letters(an "a" and an "n") and make it even more complete that is fine as well.

Thank you for engaging me on this topic. I hope I make an impression.

I agree with you, I do have an agenda, but it is no secret. My friend Shri Sapthajihva (our differences not withstanding, Sapthajiva, I hope you will see me as a friend) will attest to that.

I am appealing only to Brahmins because I was born into a TB family. Hopefully, there are progressives in the midst of NBs doing the same.

An aside: Just a few weeks ago, even after an agreement was reached, a group of Dalits, who were accompanied by revenue officers and police protection, were prevented from entering a temple by the dominant NB caste. In the second attempt they succeeded. I would have loved to have seen Brahmin leaders, both religious and secular, ceasing the opportunity and openly and with forceful rhetoric sided with the Dalits and repudiated caste discrimination.

Coming to the topic of Sri vaishnavam and caste, I notice you have not found any error or inaccuracies in my presentation. Your objection, it seems, is that I have misinterpreted the intent of Azhvars and the commentators.

I have tried my best to limit my own personal interpretations to a minimum and have identified them as such. I presented the commentary of Swami Perivachchan Pillai (SPP) verbatim and also said I was disappointed he did not go far enough to include giving and taking of girls in marriage.

You have also pointed out that I left out a passage of SPP "conveniently". But what I left out -- that post was already getting too long -- does not weaken my case, on the contrary it only strengthens it.

The text I left out says jAthi is transient, like writing on water, but the connection established through the give and take (கொடுமின் கொள்மின்) is permanent. Therefore, SPP urges, do not not hesitate to fall at the feet of NB bhagavathas.

This is in continuation of my earlier posting:
So, dear Mr. Narayan your veiled accusation that even periyavachan pillai has misinterpreted Alwar’s pasuram or that he has glossed over caste differences is not correct.

I did not make any veiled accusation against SPP. I don't know what you are talking about. The only thing I said that was my opinion/interpretation was that he did not go far enough to include marriage for கொடுமின் கொள்மின்.

Any independent observer who judges this pasuram will only happily agree with Periyavachan pillai’s apt interpretation. Today’s learned srivaishnavites do not have any dispute with Alwar.

I know that Azvars and great commentators like SPP are revered by Sri vaishnavas. They have Sannidhis for them all. They have daily aradhanai and purappadu on special occassions. But, how many actually follow what SPP says, not me, but SPP says that Azhvar had in mind. Take for example, SPP says, நீங்கள் அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள்.... நீங்கள் அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள். Does this sound like just a simple "salute"? And SPP also specifically says to give and accept ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம். This is SPP's words, not mine.

Brahmin Sri Vasihnavas do revere all the Azhvars irrespective of caste. But what do you see in practice in religious setting? As you admit, their priority is to fiercely guard their Prabhandha Goshti from infiltration by anybody. Of course this behavior is common to both kalais. But that is not the whole situation. They both further restrict their respective Goshti to just Brahmins. Would a Thenkalai Goshti allow a Thenkalai NB or a Vadakalai Goshti allow a Vadakalai NB? The answer is NO.

They are more interested in preserving the temple protocol that gives special privileges to Brahmins, than following even the simple commands that cannot be misinterpreted or have been interpreted in plain language by great commentators.

You say Swami Thirukkacchi Nambi is well respected among Sri vaishnavas irrespective of his low caste. Yes he is. But what about a Thirukkacchi nambi type Sri Vaishnava who may be alive today? How will he be treated in any Sri Vaishnava institutions? Even Azhvars will not fare any better.

Yea, there is lot of respect in the abstract, but in practice, there is not a whole lot. I am saying this from my own personal experience from Sri vaishnava temples and institutions. I can say this with some force of authority as until not so long ago, I was very much part of the inner circle of one of the Sri Vaishnava matams. Let me assure you, what I have seen is not something Azhvar or SPP will be proud of.

I want to address your misplaced fervour about caste eradication from an altogether different angle.

:) :)

I do feel fervently about it, but I don't think it is misplaced!!

Dear Shri Raju:

After getting the flower in his hand he gave the vendor a currency note.

This may come across as a nitpick, but please permit me to note, the moment he handled currency note, all the மடி is gone, if it has not already left him because of the very fact he has come out into the busy streets.

Unrelated to the above incidence, I am reminded of Ramanuja, in his old age, going to Kaveri for a dip holding Mudaliandan's hands. On return after the dip, he held the hands of Pillai Urangavilli Dasar, a NB. When some sishyas asked for an explanation, it seems Ramanuja responded,

"ஜன்மம் உயர்ந்திருக்கச் செய்தே தாழநில்லா நின்றோமே என்ற அபிமானம் உண்டே நம் எல்லோருக்கும். அக்குறையும் இல்லாதவர் இவர் (பிள்ளை உறங்காவில்லி தாஸர்).

This is from the 6000 படி குரு பரம்பரா ப்ரபாவம் and I am giving it to you free of any of my interpretations.

Hopefully, there are progressives in the midst of NBs doing the same.

Prof Nara,

I respectfully beg to differ.

You remind me a lot about another poster in yet another forum who shared your passion for SV. Mr Kunjuppu can ratify this.

As much as i get the kernel of your posts aimed at ushering in a 'caste-less' society, I would also recommend that you have look into today's realities.

And today's reality is that Brahmins wield no political or social power to cause any difference.

I would bracket NBs into 3 categories - A miniscule minority of progressives - we are extremely fortunate to have someone here - 90% being in the second category viz "silent beneficiaries" and about 10% having the DK / DMK brand.

You may wonder what are "silent beneficiaries" - It is the best i could come up with as an antonym for "silent sufferers".

The majority of NBs today know that caste is alive "not merely" because of varnashram or brahmins but they would NOT admit their role openly nor would they repudiate the claims of the DK / DMK clan. Because it suits them to play along with the DK/DMKs and claim to be "still suffering from oppression" because it suits them politically, socially, educationally and if i may daresay financially as well.

I actually believe that we are jumping stages here. India today doesnt need a "caste-less" society. The reason being, we still believe that "social re-engineering" needs caste. Or so they claim that is the powerful OBC political clan.

I would first want to create a "caste-discrimination-less" society which does not deny opportunities to anyone on the basis of caste and at the same time not offer "permanent sops" in the garb of social equity.

That stage is impossible today in India because of the powerful OBC clan.

You may question my credentials to say so. Am i caste-less ? Even if i claim so, the Govt doesnt agree.

So i have caste but i am not caste conscious . My so-called caste has not precluded me from doing the right things within my span of control.

Whoever today claims that it is still incumbent on the brahmins to dismantle the caste system is obfuscating the truth.

I have often seen you end your missive with the rider 'Enge Srivaishnavam' ?

I want to say this to you. The lost glory (if at all it has been lost, i would add here quickly) cannot be brought back or the glory resurrected without the OBCs realizing the fact that they ARE the road block in the emancipation of dalits.

Sorry if i have derailed the discussion.

I fully agree with the views expressed by Sri Hariharan.

Ground realities in India- particularly in Tamilnadu- is quite different. Those who migrated out of India long back particularly to the developed nations like USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc may have different perception.

People who have migrated to Gulf/Singapore have a different mind set

People who have migrated outside Tamilnadu will have different opinion.

Majority of us are still staying back and facing `Brahmin bashing' within Tamilnadu. We all have different attitude to protect our interests.

When Kanchi Acharya was arrested few years back, the popular electronic media literally wanted to hang him without even a proper trial. Even the NB community friends whom I personally know and don't indulge in brahmin bashing, were trying to convince me that the Acharyas have committed the crime. But the actual trials in the court has started and I am sure the Acharyas are getting out of the problems. But nobody is talking about the ill treatment of the Acharyas now.

Sri Raju wrote about an incident involving an elderly vaishnavite at Adyar. These type of incidents are happening regularly and we are being targeted without any fault from our side.

For people who are staying back in Tamilnadu and India, the main goal is development of our community without hurting any body. We don't want to get into politics. We don't want to get into any argument. We don't want to get into any conflict.

In a conflict involving NB and Daliths, if we support Daliths, we are not going to be rewarded. On the contrary we will be targeted further by NBs. Daliths will not come to our rescue. Better keep away from the whole mess.

For achieving the above, the unity within the community has to develop further. Let us take the example of Kerala Iyers Trust. Personally I would like to co-operate and co-ordinate with them to help all the Tamil Brahmins including Smarthas, Vaishnavites, Madhwas, Gurukkal, Chozhiyal & others.

Any reform, let it come from our Acharyas. It is the duty of our Acharyas to suggest reforms based on the present circumstances. If they suggest reforms and if they are acceptable to us, let us follow. Otherwise personally I don't mind rejecting even their reform ideas.

All the best

French/Japanese company conducting Pooja with our Vadhyars.

On the one side brahmin bashing is going on. On the other side, Renault-Nissan joint venture is conducting house warming ceremony with our vadhyars.

The Hindu Business Line : Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Both the above are my personal vadhyars - Left on the photo is Raghavenran and right is Raghavan. Both are very talented youngsters.

Why the French and Japanese are using our Vadhyars for house warming?
There is no Indian collaborator in the venture but still they conduct the house warming function with our style.

Hello Shri Raju, Greetings!

No problem. If you wish to add couple of more letters(an "a" and an "n") and make it even more complete that is fine as well.

Thank you for engaging me on this topic. I hope I make an impression.

I agree with you, I do have an agenda, but it is no secret. My friend Shri Sapthajihva (our differences not withstanding, Sapthajiva, I hope you will see me as a friend) will attest to that.

I am appealing only to Brahmins because I was born into a TB family. Hopefully, there are progressives in the midst of NBs doing the same.

An aside: Just a few weeks ago, even after an agreement was reached, a group of Dalits, who were accompanied by revenue officers and police protection, were prevented from entering a temple by the dominant NB caste. In the second attempt they succeeded. I would have loved to have seen Brahmin leaders, both religious and secular, ceasing the opportunity and openly and with forceful rhetoric sided with the Dalits and repudiated caste discrimination.

Coming to the topic of Sri vaishnavam and caste, I notice you have not found any error or inaccuracies in my presentation. Your objection, it seems, is that I have misinterpreted the intent of Azhvars and the commentators.

I have tried my best to limit my own personal interpretations to a minimum and have identified them as such. I presented the commentary of Swami Perivachchan Pillai (SPP) verbatim and also said I was disappointed he did not go far enough to include giving and taking of girls in marriage.

You have also pointed out that I left out a passage of SPP "conveniently". But what I left out -- that post was already getting too long -- does not weaken my case, on the contrary it only strengthens it.

The text I left out says jAthi is transient, like writing on water, but the connection established through the give and take (கொடுமின் கொள்மின்) is permanent. Therefore, SPP urges, do not not hesitate to fall at the feet of NB bhagavathas.

I did not make any veiled accusation against SPP. I don't know what you are talking about. The only thing I said that was my opinion/interpretation was that he did not go far enough to include marriage for கொடுமின் கொள்மின்.

I know that Azvars and great commentators like SPP are revered by Sri vaishnavas. They have Sannidhis for them all. They have daily aradhanai and purappadu on special occassions. But, how many actually follow what SPP says, not me, but SPP says that Azhvar had in mind. Take for example, SPP says, நீங்கள் அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள்.... நீங்கள் அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள். Does this sound like just a simple "salute"? And SPP also specifically says to give and accept ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம். This is SPP's words, not mine.

Brahmin Sri Vasihnavas do revere all the Azhvars irrespective of caste. But what do you see in practice in religious setting? As you admit, their priority is to fiercely guard their Prabhandha Goshti from infiltration by anybody. Of course this behavior is common to both kalais. But that is not the whole situation. They both further restrict their respective Goshti to just Brahmins. Would a Thenkalai Goshti allow a Thenkalai NB or a Vadakalai Goshti allow a Vadakalai NB? The answer is NO.

They are more interested in preserving the temple protocol that gives special privileges to Brahmins, than following even the simple commands that cannot be misinterpreted or have been interpreted in plain language by great commentators.

You say Swami Thirukkacchi Nambi is well respected among Sri vaishnavas irrespective of his low caste. Yes he is. But what about a Thirukkacchi nambi type Sri Vaishnava who may be alive today? How will he be treated in any Sri Vaishnava institutions? Even Azhvars will not fare any better.

Yea, there is lot of respect in the abstract, but in practice, there is not a whole lot. I am saying this from my own personal experience from Sri vaishnava temples and institutions. I can say this with some force of authority as until not so long ago, I was very much part of the inner circle of one of the Sri Vaishnava matams. Let me assure you, what I have seen is not something Azhvar or SPP will be proud of.
Dear Mr. Narayanan,
//There are progressives in the midst of brahmins// The judgment as to who or what is progressive is relative. We carry and superimpose all our flaws on our judgments. I leave it at that.
//an aside// This is politics of social justice which i do not intend to discuss here. Period.
As for Srivaishnavam and caste: I have agreed with whatever you have written as long as it was the original pasurams of the Azhwars and the original passages from the commentaries of the Periya Vaachchan Pillai. I clearly disagree with you on your interpretations. You have said that the left out passages from the PV Pillai's commentary strengthens your argument. I do not think so. It clearly brings out the case that the caste stays throughout this janma and there is no scope for mixing of castes. If you look at the vast canvass of innumerable births and deaths yes it is letter written on flowing water (நீர் மேல் எழுத்து) But your interpretation of marriage of girls by giving and taking from the NB families does not extend to the larger canvass. The physical marital relations are restricted to your present janma only. எனவே கொள்மின் கொடுமின் என்பதற்கு பெண்கொடுங்கள்/எடுங்கள் என்று வலிந்து பொருள் கொள்ள யாதொரு முகாந்திரமும் இல்லை. Now of all the meanings available in Tamil for the words கொள்மின் & கொடுமின் why do you choose the meaning of marital relations alone? Is it not because of your overriding anxiety to eradicate caste as you have understood it? PV Pillai did not go far enough to include marriage because that is not the subject Alwar is speaking about in this pasuram.நீங்கள் அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள், அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள், அவர்கள் உண்ட சேஷத்தை புஜியுங்கோள், அவர்களின் ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்தம் அருந்துங்கோள் is all ok as these are all natural meanings of what PVP has written. But marrying off your girls to them and taking their girls in marriage is external to this context. Here PVP's correct interpretation that Alwar meant only knowledge stands out to tell his brilliance.
Will a vadakalai ghoshti allow a vadakalai NB and will a thenkalai ghoshti allow a thenkalai NB -you are asking. Any number of twisted questions will not change the situation. It can be replied a similar question why not form an all NB vadakalai ghoshti and an all NB thenkalai ghoshti and do service by singing the prabhanthams.
Now I come to the final denuement. The question boils down to this: Are there castes or not? The answer to this is yes there are castes.
Next question is: Are there any higher and lower distinctions among the castes? The answer is there are no such distinctions.
Next is about marriages. Can some one marry from the other caste?(see I am avoiding carefully the term lower caste)
The answer is: why not? if the two like each other. And it is already a fait accompli in many cases. Whether you like it or not it is happening. Body chemicals are stronger than culture and upbringing and Pheromones are stronger than the daughter-parent bondage.Thank you for participating in this dialogue.

The last part of my posting was truncated because the server started playing hide and seek with me. Here it is:
If you are asking whether marrying from another caste is good my answer is clearly a no because castes have their origin in vedas and it is an altogether vast subject to discuss. If you marry from another caste it means that the harmones got the better of you or that your parents failed. Parental bondage and culture are like the mahaviswasam and ananyagathithvam of prapatti. It is either total or it is not there. It is not there in parts.

If you marry from another caste it means that the harmones got the better of you or that your parents failed. Parental bondage and culture are like the mahaviswasam and ananyagathithvam of prapatti. It is either total or it is not there. It is not there in parts.

I disagree.

You cannot paint all inter-caste marriages with the same brush and call it an outcome of hormones or failure of parents. There are divorces in brahmin families in arranged marriages as well. Failure of parents can figure as the cause there too then.

Better to keep personal prejudices, political views, religious views, etc aside, for each couple marries for reasons unique to themselves.

Those who bother about caste will marry for caste. Those who do not, will not.

Each person has their own preferences. Better to respect it.

An aside: Just a few weeks ago, even after an agreement was reached, a group of Dalits, who were accompanied by revenue officers and police protection, were prevented from entering a temple by the dominant NB caste. In the second attempt they succeeded. I would have loved to have seen Brahmin leaders, both religious and secular, ceasing the opportunity and openly and with forceful rhetoric sided with the Dalits and repudiated caste discrimination..

Am not sure if brahmins siding with the dalits wud have helped the case in anyway. Am not sure if the NBs wud have listened to them.

In the case of the dalit-brahmin adyar incident narrated by Shri Raju, we can have two sides. On one side it cud be considered that one must respect a brahmin's belief and his right to have his bodily purity untouched (personally i do not beleive in such kinds of purity ideas but if someone has it, its not my prerogative to decide for him). On an other side it cud seem that dalits feel harassed at being treated as untouchables even today. Its a tuf situation to take sides. Both can seem right in their expectations.

Shri Nara,

A lot of things you write is totally new to me. You have quoted a lot from tamil literature as well. At the moment, i have no means of knowing whether all of it is true or whether a counter-view does exist. At the moment, am trying to soak up things on the tenets of srivaishnavism from your posts.

Sir, You have mentioned names of a few acharyas before Sri Ramanuja. Am curious to know about the history of SriVaishnavism and the tridandi monks before Sri Ramanuja. Wud be delighted if you could oblige.

Thank You.

Greeting to all

A point raised by Mr Nara regarding the dalits admission into temple. If we concentrate in this type of issues, Majority of the fight is not between Brahmanas Vs Sudhras, it is other NB against Sudhras (in most of the cases). What happens eventually, they use our caste conveniently as a shield. And turns the wrath into to bashing our religion and community. It would be better if we help dalits enter into temple and worship, it will really turn the things around and show the world the real motive of brahmin bashing in TN.

Last edited:
Greeting to all

A point raised by Mr Nara regarding the dalits admission into temple. If we concentrate in this type of issues, Majority of the fight is not between Brahmanas Vs Sudhras, it is other NB against Sudhras (in most of the cases). What happens eventually, they use our caste conveniently as a shield. And turns the wrath into to bashing our religion. It could be better if we help dalits enter into temple and worship, it will really turn the things around and show the world the real motive of brahmin bashing in TN.

Once upon a time long long ago, there were texts called dharmashastras that were written to keep groups seperate from one another.

Methinks the scribes that wrote those texts passed themselves off as brahmins. And possibly the (emptyheaded ?) non-brahmin musclemen that enforced it passed themselves off as kshatriyas. They seem to be doing it even today. And perhaps that is what we are seeing as caste discrimination and violence by preventing temple entry, usage of village wells, etc.

The 2 varnas of so-called kshatriya and vaishya are a recent creed in south india, imho - that came about by a process of sanskritization from the medieval to colonial period. In south india, there are only 2 varnas - brahmins and shudras (similar to the early cultures of northwest where an arya cud become a dasa and viceversa). But rural people are still keeping caste discrimination alive, perhaps in the old mold of waiting to pass themselves off as kshatriyas (??). What is the solution ? When will this nonsense end?

Last edited:
Greeting to all

A point raised by Mr Nara regarding the dalits admission into temple. If we concentrate in this type of issues, Majority of the fight is not between Brahmanas Vs Sudhras, it is other NB against Sudhras (in most of the cases). What happens eventually, they use our caste conveniently as a shield. And turns the wrath into to bashing our religion and community. It would be better if we help dalits enter into temple and worship, it will really turn the things around and show the world the real motive of brahmin bashing in TN.

Sri P V Raman,

The ground realities here in Tamilnadu is highly sensitive for every issue. It is not brahmins who oppose entry of Daliths into temples. It is not brahmins denying creamation of Daliths in common areas. It is not brahmins who deny water from common well or tank to daliths. It is not brahmins who support two tumbler system.

When U P Brahmins supported Mayavathi to become Chief Minister, local brahmins here are criticised. In UP brahmins constitute more than 10% and decide the fate of the Government formation. But here in Tamilnadu we are hardly 3% and practically has no say in any political spectrum. In fact personally some of the other caste hindus talked to me and criticised the action of UP Brahmins.

In the past Rajaji, Madurai Vaidyanatha Iyers and others have supported temple entry of dalith. But in the present circumstances, it is my humble opinion that our community keep away from the political spectrum

Government is not helping us and creates lot of troubles and hurdles for us. Now we have to help each other and prosper. Let us concentrate on the development of our community, particularly poor and downtrodden, instead of spending our time and energy on other things.

All the best

I disagree.

You cannot paint all inter-caste marriages with the same brush and call it an outcome of hormones or failure of parents. There are divorces in brahmin families in arranged marriages as well. Failure of parents can figure as the cause there too then.

Better to keep personal prejudices, political views, religious views, etc aside, for each couple marries for reasons unique to themselves.

Those who bother about caste will marry for caste. Those who do not, will not.

Each person has their own preferences. Better to respect it.
Para 1. We are talking about marriages here. Not about divorces.Failure of parents is also a reason for divorces.There is no dispute on that. I agree with you.

para2.personal prejudices-i have none.political view-i am apolitical.religious views-yes. I have. If you believe in religion then you should be believing in vedas-that is if you are tamil brahmin.If you accept vedas then my views have their origin in vedas and the derivative dharma shastras, Gita, puranas and other religious literature, most important of it being what acharyas have said.There is nothing unique about a marriagae. All marriages are the same. Either you love before marriage or you love after marriage. When you are not able to do this you divorce.

para3.people do not marry for caste. They marry within the caste or outside the caste.

para4.I do respect individual freedom. That is why i said marriage is just in the hands of the two concerned individuals only. But if you expect that i should not present a counter point when someone says that the intercaste marriage is the most sanctified and so the rquired one for the day i think your expectation is too high. Thank you.
icon7.gif

Dear Sri RV Sir,

Namaskarams.

I understand the ground realities. Unfortunately in TN whatever we do, may backfire due to the present political and social setup is concerned. We, without any doubt should focus on the unity of our community and help the poor family to come up which shall be our primary agenda.

On the other hand, we should not remain socially isolated for ever. For that our active participation in social activities is also required viz viz other community is concerned.

Sri Raju,

para2.personal prejudices-i have none.political view-i am apolitical.religious views-yes. I have. If you believe in religion then you should be believing in vedas-that is if you are tamil brahmin.If you accept vedas then my views have their origin in vedas and the derivative dharma shastras, Gita, puranas and other religious literature, most important of it being what acharyas have said.There is nothing unique about a marriagae. All marriages are the same. Either you love before marriage or you love after marriage. When you are not able to do this you divorce.

If you claim that your views are from the vedas, please provide the appropriate quotes from the vedas where inter-caste marriage is prohibited.

para4.I do respect individual freedom. That is why i said marriage is just in the hands of the two concerned individuals only. But if you expect that i should not present a counter point when someone says that the intercaste marriage is the most sanctified and so the rquired one for the day i think your expectation is too high. Thank you.
icon7.gif

To clarify: i did not say that you cannot present a counterpoint. Please do not jump to conclusions.

Dear Sri RV Sir,

Namaskarams.

I understand the ground realities. Unfortunately in TN whatever we do, may backfire due to the present political and social setup is concerned. We, without any doubt should focus on the unity of our community and help the poor family to come up which shall be our primary agenda.

On the other hand, we should not remain socially isolated for ever. For that our active participation in social activities is also required viz viz other community is concerned.

Thanks Sri P V Ramanji understanding the ground realities. Even Kanchi Sankaracharya got into problems without probably getting proper advice on the ground realities in Tamilnadu.

Our politicians made use of him when it was convenient to them and created problems for him when it was convenient to them.

Let us do good service to our community to the best possible extent. If our resources permit, let us support other communities also.

All the best

Once upon a time long long ago, there were texts called dharmashastras that were written to keep groups seperate from one another.

Methinks the scribes that wrote those texts passed themselves off as brahmins. And possibly the (emptyheaded ?) non-brahmin musclemen that enforced it passed themselves off as kshatriyas. They seem to be doing it even today. And perhaps that is what we are seeing as caste discrimination and violence by preventing temple entry, usage of village wells, etc.

The 2 varnas of so-called kshatriya and vaishya are a recent creed in south india, imho - that came about by a process of sanskritization from the medieval to colonial period. In south india, there are only 2 varnas - brahmins and shudras (similar to the early cultures of northwest where an arya cud become a dasa and viceversa). But rural people are still keeping caste discrimination alive, perhaps in the old mold of waiting to pass themselves off as kshatriyas (??). What is the solution ? When will this nonsense end?
Manu was not a brahmin; he was a kshatriya!!!

The view in your last para would arise only if we try to time them and to create a chronology in order to fit into the present scheme of things...

Sri Vaishnavism celebrates both sanskrit and tamil as samskritha vedham and dravida vedham... that is why the term 'ubaya vedanthi' came about...

The dravida vedham is the nalayara divya prabandham, which is the gist of the vedhas, infused by bhakthi rasa...

The discrimination arose not because of religious views, rather due to political views and outsider interference...

Manu was not a brahmin; he was a kshatriya!!!

The view in your last para would arise only if we try to time them and to create a chronology in order to fit into the present scheme of things...

Sri Vaishnavism celebrates both sanskrit and tamil as samskritha vedham and dravida vedham... that is why the term 'ubaya vedanthi' came about...

The dravida vedham is the nalayara divya prabandham, which is the gist of the vedhas, infused by bhakthi rasa...

The discrimination arose not because of religious views, rather due to political views and outsider interference...

Manu was not the only one who wrote a smrithi. Gautama, Atreya, vashista, etc were brahmin sages..

i do think chronology of events will come about in due course...

probs are that a lot of info in the present time is locked away in archives as colonial documents..and there is this general lack of historians who can put together info presented in various languages; like a marathi or telugu historian may not look at tamil sources, etc, so translations are the key in such cases... but with the current info explosion it is certainly possible to expect things coming about in due course of time...

am not sure if you were trying to convey any connection b/w the divyaprabandhams and religious views - am sorry i do not understand.

but i do think that it is very much possible that the NBs who inflict caste based violence do it in some part bcoz of that old mold of dharmashastra rules of keeping groups excluded from each other.

perhaps apart from keeping women uneducated we also owe untouchability in some part to the dharmashastras, because many of them clearly endorsed exclusive groupism and prescribed punishments if intermingling were to take place.

anyways sapthajihva, i am guilty of digressing from the topic of srivaishnavism that is being discussed in this thread. perhaps we can continue our discussion on this in an other thread. will continue tomorrow or later, am turning off the pc now. see ya.

regards.,

Am not sure if brahmins siding with the dalits wud have helped the case in anyway. Am not sure if the NBs wud have listened to them.

Dear HH:

Greetings!

Just imagine what a symbolic effect there would have been if heads of Brahmin institutions came out in favor of admitting the Dalits in question. It would have been dramatic and sensational, whether the upper caste NB's listened or not.

Initially there would be lot of derision and suspicion. But, if consistency is shown over a period of time there will be appreciation.

Rising above caste system is a good on its own. What others do or how others react is secondary.

Am curious to know about the history of SriVaishnavism and the tridandi monks before Sri Ramanuja. Wud be delighted if you could oblige.

I will share with you and the forum what little I know. I invite others like Shri Raju and Shri tvvaradan also to contribute.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back