• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

śāstā (Ayyappan) and Srividyā

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across the following in my in-box. This is from another forum but the comments about various matters pertaining to gods made me feel that this may be of interest to our learned members:

"Subject :- SAsta and SrIvidya

mahASayAh,

" sahasram vartantE jagati vibudhAh kshudra phaladAh
na manyE swapnE va tadanusaraNam tatkR*ita phalam "
So says the jagadguru. In Hinduism, there are so many millions of gods and deities, every one is always ready to help the human beings during their hardships whether requested or not requested.

I tell you an incident of my meternal uncle. He was a medical practitioner at vizianagaram, and used to live in rented houses, changing his recidence from one place to another.
One day, he was in search of another suitable house, as his house owners asked him to vecate.
Some friend has shown him one house, at the same time warning him that there is a talk of some devil in it and no body is occupying because of its fear, even though the house is well situated and spacious enough and the rent also is very low.. My uncle readily accepted to occupy the house disbeleiving all the rumours. But one night he woke up with a tapping noice of his bedroom, opened door and found a female image standing there. It was laughingly telling, " Don`t fear my son, I am so and so Sakthi, I will make you very rich and great man, provided you worship me as your kula dEvata. If you don`t accept me, you will have to face many hardships." But my uncle did not accept her as kula dEvata. As a result, he has lost two children at birth and also a child of one and half year old, with an unrecognized disease.

My grand mother, who was living in a small villiage in orissa state, used to wake up at
3 O`clock at night to cleanse the front yard and backyard and also clean the utensils. One day
she found her cousin sister at that time asking what help she can do for her. My grandma could somehow scented that she is not her cousin but some devil. She entrusted the whole of her duties and calmly went inside. That devil has performed all the duties very neatly. My grandma did not reveal this to any one for so many days and every night the devil was coming and performing all the duties what ever is entrusted. But one day, she could not keep it secret and revealed it to some of her friends. That devil did not come again.

For SrIrAmadAsu, rAmOji and lakShmOji went to tAnIShA`s bed room paid him the coins and asked him the receipt. Are they the real Rama and lakshmana?

SrIAnjanEya used to enter into a boy of forteen and exibniting so many super human feats like climbing upon the top of rAma mandirs and jumping from that heights to the ground like a monkey.
He used to throw away a number of persons so easily. On every Teusday and Friday he used to tell future of othrs. So, a number of persons with querries and gifts were standing in a que for that boy on those two days. Do you believe all this is done by AnjanEya ? The great rAmaBhakta who is going to ascend the throne of brahmadEva, spending his life time on mahEndragiri always in meditation! doing all this nuisence spoiling the education and career of this innocent boy, making him a mad man?

This is all to say, that there are mirieds of kshudra phalada dEvatas in the world. They come to us whether you invite them or not - in the guise of a superior deity. Even the so called brahma, vishNu, ISwara,durga and any other dEvata when looked at extrovertly with a name and form will have their powers and duties with some limitations only. Every one of them is a kShudraphaladah. At best all these can give sArUpyam, sAmIpyam or sAlOkyam only. They all exibit themselves with an aBhaya hasta, indicating that they can save you when you enter into the grip of any fear.

The story of the so called SAsta or hariharaputra was mentioned in some purAna that the son of mOhini and paramESwara was appointed as the border protecter of kailasa. He is also the protector of our bounderies of the nation, region, town and villiage. In telugu he is called as "pOlaiah" or "polidEvata". In SrIvidyArNava tantra a mantra in his name was mentioned with a dhyAna SlOka as,
" aSwArUDham trinEtram ca SAstAram pASakEnaca
baddhwA sAdhyam sAdhakAgrE pAtayantam BhajAmyaham }}"
He is the one who will bring the desired person to your presence. His mantra reads as,
"SAstAram mRigayASrAntam aSwArUDham gaNAvRitam
pAnIyArtham vinA SAstrE tEna tO raivatE namah " He is the one who shows water, when one is tired and thirsty while hunting in a forest. The stories told about him are fictitious and unbelievable.
There are two temples of Ayyappa having two wives and three sons in the suberbs of the main temple inicates that he is not a bachelor.

In the passing times, the minds of the people are subjected to many changes, searching for a new devata who can easily fulfil their desires. For some days it was Siva and after some days it is vishNu,
then SrIrAma, then SrIkRiShNa, then pAnduranga vitthal, then saibAbA, satyasAibAbA, meherbAba, in this way the man is eternally changing his mind. .

There is a theory of orgument that because it would be very difficult to please the superior gods so easily, we should search for a person who can recommend us to the superior deity, just like we first approach the peon of the officer beforehand and settle bribe amount. For that purpose, this Ayyappa can mediate for both Hari and Hara too. Some people hearing of Lalita sahasranama as very powerful and LalitAdE is also very powerful goddess, and the wife of Siva, they attribute relationship of Ayyappa with her and if Ayyappa takes us to lalithAdEvi, She will certainly recommend us to Sivaji and make him grant the mOkSha for us.

But they do not know that lalithAdEvi is not a woman and she never conceived any son at all.
They all, I am afraid, will leave her once for all, if I say that she never offered any one any boons.
She never exibited any aBhayahastam in her hands. The devotees of her will never care for mOkSha saying, " bandha mOkSha vihIno~smi nityam brahmAsmim sO~smyaham". She is neither a woman, nor a man but just only a niShkala having all the kaLAs in her. She will not give any thing but you can obtain every thing frrom her. She just "swarUpa nirUpaNa hEtuh", makes you recognize who you are.

SrividyA is Atmavidya simultaneously prevailing in both parA and aparA BhUmikAs. lalitA is not a single dEvata. She is "sarva dEvata samUha mUrtI." All the gods including the trimUrtis male and female are in her. Every one of them is her creation. her own extension!. We can not compare any one with
lalita. She "sarvAnatItya lalati". What to say about the dummy gods?

namah kamalE kamalAlayE prasIda prasIda
krishnarao .
"

Why do you subscribe to forums that publish such rubbish unless you are seeking some (cheap) entertainment
icon7.png

....SrividyA is Atmavidya simultaneously prevailing in both parA and aparA BhUmikAs. lalitA is not a single dEvata. She is "sarva dEvata samUha mUrtI." All the gods including the trimUrtis male and female are in her. Every one of them is her creation. her own extension!. We can not compare any one with lalita. She "sarvAnatItya lalati". What to say about the dummy gods?
Dear Shri Sangom sir, There may be differences with respect to who is supreme, Shiva, or Vishnu, or Lalita, but the arguments of each sect is, in essence, no less ludicrous than the one Krishna Rao has proposed. This is the path one is required to pass through to attain the moksham Vedantam promises, one that involves blind faith in something, a deity, a divine text, words of a true "jeevan muktha" and what not. Unwilling to reject religious faith, but still finding Krishna Rao ridiculous, is like the soot under a kettle calling coal black.

Cheers!

Ludicrous statements !

Dear Shri Sangom sir, There may be differences with respect to who is supreme, Shiva, or Vishnu, or Lalita, but the arguments of each sect is, in essence, no less ludicrous than the one Krishna Rao has proposed. This is the path one is required to pass through to attain the moksham Vedantam promises, one that involves blind faith in something, a deity, a divine text, words of a true "jeevan muktha" and what not. Unwilling to reject religious faith, but still finding Krishna Rao ridiculous, is like the soot under a kettle calling coal black.

Cheers!

"This is the path one is required to pass through to attain the moksham Vedantam promises, one that involves blind faith in something, a deity, a divine text, words of a true "jeevan muktha" and what not"

​Also ludicrous
icon7.png

Cheers!

Dear Shri Nara,

When I read through that message from Shri Krishna Rao, I was bewildered to see that even within the Hindu religious spectrum ;) there is so much of bigotry and parochial outlook, enough to call the many deities as "kṣudraphalada" (giving only nuisance value results, I think). In order that our members and readers may become aware of this world of intolerance and prejudice, I posted it here.

Shri tks has, true to his blindfolded view, decried my posting as "cheap entertainment". I am however glad that he admits that some part of our religious notions at least are cheap entertainments of a ludicrous nature and hope the circle of such "cheap entertainments of a ludicrous nature" inside religious belief will slowly enlarge in his perception !

The most important thing to be noted is that the śloka "
na manyE swapnE va tadanusaraNam tatkR*ita phalam ",

quoted by Shri Krishnarao is from none other than tks' respected Adi Sankara in Sivananda Lahari. I am glad that tks finds, at least for once, Sankara's lines as cheap entertainment and ludicrous:)

Authentic sources for Adi SSankara's sloka??

Dear Shri Nara,

When I read through that message from Shri Krishna Rao, I was bewildered to see that even within the Hindu religious spectrum ;) there is so much of bigotry and parochial outlook, enough to call the many deities as "kṣudraphalada" (giving only nuisance value results, I think). In order that our members and readers may become aware of this world of intolerance and prejudice, I posted it here.

Shri tks has, true to his blindfolded view, decried my posting as "cheap entertainment". I am however glad that he admits that some part of our religious notions at least are cheap entertainments of a ludicrous nature and hope the circle of such "cheap entertainments of a ludicrous nature" inside religious belief will slowly enlarge in his perception !

The most important thing to be noted is that the śloka "
na manyE swapnE va tadanusaraNam tatkR*ita phalam ",

quoted by Shri Krishnarao is from none other than tks' respected Adi Sankara in Sivananda Lahari. I am glad that tks finds, at least for once, Sankara's lines as cheap entertainment and ludicrous:)

Anyone can quote any sloka in any email - it does not make an email anymore authentic as a source of information!
I still cannot understand why subscribe to such threads and then propagate those postings to 'learned members' of another forum!
I find this amusing
icon7.png

Anyone can quote any sloka in any email - it does not make an email anymore authentic as a source of information!
I still cannot understand why subscribe to such threads and then propagate those postings to 'learned members' of another forum!
I find this amusing
icon7.png

Is it your view that the said śloka is not authentic, i.e., it is not from Sivananada Lahari, or do you hold the view that Sivananda Lahari itself is spurious and cannot be Adi Sankara's composition?

Subscribing to different threads by the various members of this Tamilbrahmins forum is not limited by the terms and conditions of this forum, I suppose and so is reproducing matter from the web on to threads here; or has there been any change in this regard?

In the passing times, the minds of the people are subjected to many changes, searching for a new devata who can easily fulfil their desires. For some days it was [COLOR=#da7911 !important][COLOR=#da7911 !important]Siva[/COLOR][/COLOR] and after some days it is vishNu,
then SrIrAma, then SrIkRiShNa, then pAnduranga vitthal, then saibAbA, satyasAibAbA, meherbAba, in this way the man is eternally changing his mind.

This one statement rings so true. I dont know the nature of god and the origin of god but the nature of common man is well described here.

This kind of what we feel as bigoted thinking is not new. Such beliefs about shakti and her different sanskritic/puranic cults seem to be atleast as old as 2000 years.

Krishna rao's post also highlighted the changing traditions of Sasta.

Is it your view that the said śloka is not authentic, i.e., it is not from Sivananada Lahari, or do you hold the view that Sivananda Lahari itself is spurious and cannot be Adi Sankara's composition?

Subscribing to different threads by the various members of this Tamilbrahmins forum is not limited by the terms and conditions of this forum, I suppose and so is reproducing matter from the web on to threads here; or has there been any change in this regard?

My comment all along is directed towards the original email that you posted.
In that email the person provided a minimal literal translation and then proceeded to describe what I characterized as 'rubbish'. If you think it is a great posting I have no objections.

I have heard profound interpretations of this 100 verse composition and do not care to look for some arbitrary postings for my knowledge.

I really dont care about history as to who is the real author. I think it is Adi Sankara's based on the profound interpretations that I have heard.

You are welcome to subscribe to all kinds of email and ferret out 'gems' and make them available to the 'learned members' here. There are no rules prohibiting that
icon7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back