• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why do we need religion in our lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

This thread is in GD section so people can talk freely.
The people who cling to religion the hardest are the poor, the oppressed, and the uneducated. Why do you think every third world county is so devout? It's the only way those kind of people can rationalize their condition. Instead of standing up and doing something or resigning themselves to the fact that **** happens for no reason other than cause and effect, they just cling to the belief that it's all some grand design of one god or another, and that someday they'll zoom up to Heaven and all the people who did them wrong will go to Hell.

You must shake off the religious indoctrination of your youth. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing that great things are going to happen and horrible things are going to happen, but there's no grand scheme and no god trying to teach you something. Knowing that this is it, that this is our Karma.
The other use of religion is to control and exert power like the Catholic Church, the Mormon Church (LDS), the Baptist Church, Islam, Hindu cults, etc. All run by egomaniacal, megalomaniacal, misogynistic men.

I do not feel I am a religious person but more of a spiritual person. I believe in Brahman, mainly through all the experiences that I have had in my life. People are not rewarded nor punished in life, however a law of the Universe karma, is valid. So if you are good, good things will come your way, if you are not then other things will come your way, this is all to teach us the best way. You do not go to heaven or hell. There is no God sitting in judgement. There is no God asking you to praise him and asks you to beg for mercy.
We are so trained to bribe and get freebies from our leaders, that we have identified our gods with the same corrupt qualities. If God can change our Karmas with our prayers, Bhagavat Gita is total lie. Krishna should have advised Arjuna to do bhajans.

Last edited:
The people who cling to religion the hardest are the poor, the oppressed, and the uneducated. Why do you think every third world county is so devout? It's the only way those kind of people can rationalize their condition. Instead of standing up and doing something or resigning themselves to the fact that **** happens for no reason other than cause and effect, they just cling to the belief that it's all some grand design of one god or another, and that someday they'll zoom up to Heaven and all the people who did them wrong will go to Hell.

You must shake off the religious indoctrination of your youth. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing that great things are going to happen and horrible things are going to happen, but there's no grand scheme and no god trying to teach you something. Knowing that this is it, that this is our Karma.
The other use of religion is to control and exert power like the Catholic Church, the Mormon Church (LDS), the Baptist Church, Islam, Hindu cults, etc. All run by egomaniacal, megalomaniacal, misogynistic men.

I don't think it is a correct statement. Are people living in rich countries like USA, Canada, UK, France, Scandinavian Countries, Australia, New Zealand etc. not following Christianity seriously?

Of course, it is true that in the name of religion or sect lot of power centres are being created and group of people attached to each power centre.

Sigmund Freud - Religion is Mass Neurosis:

According to Sigmund Freud, religion is a mass neurosis and exists as a response to deep emotional conflicts and weaknesses. A by-product of psychological distress, Freud argued that it should be possible to eliminate the illusions of religion by alleviating that distress. This approach is laudable for getting us to recognize that there can be hidden psychological motives behind religion and religious beliefs, but his arguments from analogy are weak and too often his position is circular.

Religion makes us want to live.

Viktor Frankl's revealing research in the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz led him to a startling conclusion. It was not the youngest, strongest or even smartest inmates who tended to survive. It was those who had found meaning in their lives. People, it turns out, need a reason to live.

For Frankl, that meaning wasn't necessarily religious — although one could argue that anything that deals with a person's deepest concerns is in a sense "spiritual." What Frankl was talking about could be found in deeds — in the handful of individuals who shared their meager rations with others and went about encouraging their fellow prisoners. But meaning could also be found in attitudes — particularly in the ability to face suffering with dignity and grace. As Frankl expressed it: "Man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

I don't think it is a correct statement. Are people living in rich countries like USA, Canada, UK, France, Scandinavian Countries, Australia, New Zealand etc. not following Christianity seriously?

Of course, it is true that in the name of religion or sect lot of power centres are being created and group of people attached to each power centre.

You may be partially right.
Even in western world only the smart and crocked people who take advantage of poor people cling to religion. Rich and smart people do not take refuge in organized religion. People may be spiritual and that is totally different than being religious.

People clinging to organized religion and wearing their faith on the their sleeves and wanting to convert others to their way of life are either gullible and poor or smart and use others.

I feel our understanding of religion goes through various stages in life.

When we are young we tend to identify with religion cos the young mind needs an identity... as we grow older may be some of us would view religion differently and some might grow thru a state of denial followed by state of not identifying with an organized religion..they might prefer to call themselves spiritual and then one might even start to drop the idea of spiritual too and just simply exists.

Now this can also happen in reverse order..that is some are rebels while young..they call themselves atheist or free thinker..its their way of having an identity...then as they age they start to become overtly religious..and they go thru an intense fanatic stage and remain so till age mellows them down a little but they never give up the idea of religion.

Also there are those who are in a constant steady state..they identify with religion thru out their lives..they do not question anything..for them its a way of life..a reflex I would say.

Then there are those who are overly religious when young..then in adult hood some major event happens which breaks their faith in God and they become hard core Atheist.

Finally there are also Agnostics who never really commit themselves..they might identify themselves with religion from time to time yet never really decide about the idea of God.

So even though some of us might not not need Religion in our lives anymore but someway or the other our minds had been exposed to the idea of Religion..even an Atheist has been exposed to Religion in order for him/her to reject the idea of God.

For me its simple..I simply just want to exists...I am neither Religious nor Spiritual anymore but I am not an Atheist.

Last edited:
Religion is big business. That is one reason for its existence.

Religion and titles it creates give one an opportunity to exert power over others by statement such as 'I have surrendered' , 'I know what bhakthi is but it is mysterious and hence I am unable to describe it" etc.

I hope there are true devotees who are kind and compassionate to others along with their devotion to God within their religion.

Whether I am a sweet dream or a nightmare. I am unforgettable. My posts makes compulsive reading and some can never forget me. LOL.

You may be partially right.
Even in western world only the smart and crocked people who take advantage of poor people cling to religion. Rich and smart people do not take refuge in organized religion. People may be spiritual and that is totally different than being religious.

People clinging to organized religion and wearing their faith on the their sleeves and wanting to convert others to their way of life are either gullible and poor or smart and use others.

Some African leaders used to say "when White men came, we have lands and they have Bible. Now, we have Bible and they have our lands.".

We have similar situation in Tamil Nadu with a slight difference - Smarthas importance to Krishna cult.

Long back I fell in love and married my love. Now there is no place for that in my life with another. If it is love it is just parabhakti. This is just star-fan equation. LOL.
all ladies must feel relieved. Vaagmiji says there is no place for love .in this life.

They can wait for his next avathar perhaps.....

all ladies must feel relieved. Vaagmiji says there is no place for love .in this life.

They can wait for his next avathar perhaps.....

All Ladies? Do not bracket me with the oldies here. I am young. Ladies are mommas and girls are dames. Say girls. LOL.

There are some here who believe I have already taken several avtars. And so they feel miserable that they are unable to annihilate me.

One such avatar is kandarpa shooting flower arrows. One of the girls stopped one such flying arrow and complained she has been shot.

The latest credit for me is Kamasura. LOL.

Long back I fell in love and married my love. Now there is no place for that in my life with another. If it is love it is just parabhakti. This is just star-fan equation. LOL.

Why do people always think they fall in love only once?

Life itself is Punarapi Jananam Punarapi Maranam..and you expect me to believe that we only fall in Lovvu once?

Why do people always think they fall in love only once?

Life itself is Punarapi Jananam Punarapi Maranam..and you expect me to believe that we only fall in Lovvu once?

I was talking about the kuch kuch hota hai(KKHH) variety of love. Kabhi kabhi kuch kuch hota hai and woh bar bar naheen hota hai. That is lovvu.

whatever bar bar hota hai is a different kind of thing.

Some are made of that material and some are made of this.

In the KKHH type of lovvu you fall in love and never fall out of it. It holds you tight and never leaves you.

In the BBHH type of lovvu you keep falling in and out of it frequently until punarapi janani satare sayanam. LOL.

I am sure you know all this. Yet it is an opportunity to talk about this. LOL.

All this KKHH and BBHH divisions are all crap.

I tend to agree with R that one can love more than once .It is only an issue of having a positive feeling for another person based on some criterion.

recently after legitimising LGBT in US, some are getting drawn towards polygamy.

I saw some posts on youtube from US wanting the polygamy option .

he was feeling it was a matter of personal choice and if it was OK with people involved , it should not matter to the state.

He was also taking about legal ,social, monetory implications beside effect on health care,insurance and changes that need to be done to make polygamy a possible

reality.

Only americans can clinically discuss such an issue this way.

many indians are polygamous and manage happily two spouses without getting into difficulty with indian law.

Americans have a lot to learn from india, the land of kamasutra

All this KKHH and BBHH divisions are all crap.

I tend to agree with R that one can love more than once .It is only an issue of having a positive feeling for another person based on some criterion.

recently after legitimising LGBT in US, some are getting drawn towards polygamy.

I saw some posts on youtube from US wanting the polygamy option .

he was feeling it was a matter of personal choice and if it was OK with people involved , it should not matter to the state.

He was also taking about legal ,social, monetory implications beside effect on health care,insurance and changes that need to be done to make polygamy a possible

reality.

Only americans can clinically discuss such an issue this way.

many indians are polygamous and manage happily two spouses without getting into difficulty with indian law.

Americans have a lot to learn from india, the land of kamasutra

There is a saying which goes like this:

When a sAtvik individual gets a lot of money he conducts a yajna.

When a rajasic individual gets a lot of money, he raises a big army to go to war with the neighbouring country.

When a tamasic individual gets more money he gets several additional chinnaveedus and enjoy.

Actually the original wording is different and has offending casteist overtones. I have made it guna based and given above. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back