• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why is corruption so pervasive in India

prasad1

Corruption is pervasive in India due to a variety of reasons. One of the main factors is the presence of a large informal economy, which makes it easier for corrupt practices to go unnoticed. Additionally, there is a lack of transparency and accountability in the government and public institutions, which allows corruption to thrive. Political and bureaucratic corruption is also prevalent, with individuals in positions of power often using their influence for personal gain. Furthermore, poverty and income inequality contribute to corruption, as individuals may resort to bribery and other corrupt practices in order to meet their basic needs. It is important to note that while corruption is a significant issue in India, efforts are being made to combat it through anti-corruption laws and initiatives, but this has little effect.

On my last trip to India, the bank managers (all large and small) are becoming rich. Every one of them is living way beyond their legitimate salary. For any service at the bank or post office even to cash your own check you have to bribe or hire an agent.

Corruption is pervasive in India due to a variety of reasons. One of the main factors is the presence of a large informal economy, which makes it easier for corrupt practices to go unnoticed. Additionally, there is a lack of transparency and accountability in the government and public institutions, which allows corruption to thrive. Political and bureaucratic corruption is also prevalent, with individuals in positions of power often using their influence for personal gain. Furthermore, poverty and income inequality contribute to corruption, as individuals may resort to bribery and other corrupt practices in order to meet their basic needs. It is important to note that while corruption is a significant issue in India, efforts are being made to combat it through anti-corruption laws and initiatives, but this has little effect.

On my last trip to India, the bank managers (all large and small) are becoming rich. Every one of them is living way beyond their legitimate salary. For any service at the bank or post office even to cash your own check you have to bribe or hire an agent.
GOOD DAY
Whatever you written above hold good to maximum except,the basic factor in my opinion that it is so consipicus due to the FIRST INDIVIDUAL WHO STARTED THIS EVIL PRACTICE due to his over ambitious desire to achieve things without any effort and selfishness ,born out of his impatience and lethargy.As somebody said unless somebody to offer bribe,where is question of receiver.Unfortunately in India law only punish those who take bribe,but not the one gives bribe.Even today I am seeing in railway station ticket booking counters,unfortunately few youngsters also either try to get tickets through persons already standing in a huge or short que,or try to get in the counter.Tel me where the system started getting corrupted?This is only sample,there are many like this.As far government and banks,the security of jobs clearly play very big role in staff and mangers etc to feel superior and unquestionable when it comes to customers.
So when neither people nor system changes,this corruption can not be eradicated.

GOOD DAY
Whatever you written above hold good to maximum except,the basic factor in my opinion that it is so consipicus due to the FIRST INDIVIDUAL WHO STARTED THIS EVIL PRACTICE due to his over ambitious desire to achieve things without any effort and selfishness ,born out of his impatience and lethargy.As somebody said unless somebody to offer bribe,where is question of receiver.Unfortunately in India law only punish those who take bribe,but not the one gives bribe.Even today I am seeing in railway station ticket booking counters,unfortunately few youngsters also either try to get tickets through persons already standing in a huge or short que,or try to get in the counter.Tel me where the system started getting corrupted?This is only sample,there are many like this.As far government and banks,the security of jobs clearly play very big role in staff and mangers etc to feel superior and unquestionable when it comes to customers.
So when neither people nor system changes,this corruption can not be eradicated.
Your observations are to the point, and I agree with you.

But in a similar situation, Lee Kwan yuw of Singapore had a solution.

Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister of Singapore, is often credited with transforming Singapore from a third-world country into a first-world nation within a single generation. One of his notable achievements was significantly reducing corruption in the country. Here's how Lee Kuan Yew and his government addressed corruption in Singapore:

1. Establishing a strong legal framework: Singapore enacted the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) which provided the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) with the authority to investigate and prosecute corruption.
  2. Strengthening the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB): Under Lee Kuan Yew's leadership, the CPIB was given significant autonomy and resources to carry out its operations. This ensured that they could operate without political interference and were effective in apprehending corrupt individuals.
  3. High salaries for public officials: One of the unconventional methods Lee Kuan Yew implemented was to offer competitive salaries to public servants. By offering a high salary, the incentive for public officials to engage in corrupt activities was reduced. The logic was that when public servants are well-compensated, they would be less tempted to take bribes or engage in other illicit activities.
  4. Transparent governance: By ensuring that government processes were transparent, it became harder for corruption to go unnoticed. Public accountability and regular audits made it clear that corruption would not be tolerated.
  5. Rigorous enforcement and severe penalties: Any public official found guilty of corruption faced severe penalties, including long prison terms. This sent a clear message that corruption was not to be tolerated at any level.
  6. Educating the public: Lee Kuan Yew believed in the importance of civic education. By instilling values of integrity and honesty in the populace, the government was able to create a culture where corruption was frowned upon.
  7. Leading by example: Lee Kuan Yew himself led a frugal lifestyle and maintained a clean image, setting a personal example for others in the government to follow.
  8. Whistleblower protection: To encourage people to come forward with information about corruption, whistleblower protections were put in place. This ensured that individuals could report on corrupt activities without fear of reprisal.
While no system can entirely eliminate corruption, the measures implemented by Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore significantly reduced its prevalence and set the nation on a path of robust economic growth and good governance.

Mr. Mody can take some pointers from Lee Kwan Yuw.

Your observations are to the point, and I agree with you.

But in a similar situation, Lee Kwan yuw of Singapore had a solution.

Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister of Singapore, is often credited with transforming Singapore from a third-world country into a first-world nation within a single generation. One of his notable achievements was significantly reducing corruption in the country. Here's how Lee Kuan Yew and his government addressed corruption in Singapore:

1. Establishing a strong legal framework: Singapore enacted the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) which provided the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) with the authority to investigate and prosecute corruption.
  2. Strengthening the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB): Under Lee Kuan Yew's leadership, the CPIB was given significant autonomy and resources to carry out its operations. This ensured that they could operate without political interference and were effective in apprehending corrupt individuals.
  3. High salaries for public officials: One of the unconventional methods Lee Kuan Yew implemented was to offer competitive salaries to public servants. By offering a high salary, the incentive for public officials to engage in corrupt activities was reduced. The logic was that when public servants are well-compensated, they would be less tempted to take bribes or engage in other illicit activities.
  4. Transparent governance: By ensuring that government processes were transparent, it became harder for corruption to go unnoticed. Public accountability and regular audits made it clear that corruption would not be tolerated.
  5. Rigorous enforcement and severe penalties: Any public official found guilty of corruption faced severe penalties, including long prison terms. This sent a clear message that corruption was not to be tolerated at any level.
  6. Educating the public: Lee Kuan Yew believed in the importance of civic education. By instilling values of integrity and honesty in the populace, the government was able to create a culture where corruption was frowned upon.
  7. Leading by example: Lee Kuan Yew himself led a frugal lifestyle and maintained a clean image, setting a personal example for others in the government to follow.
  8. Whistleblower protection: To encourage people to come forward with information about corruption, whistleblower protections were put in place. This ensured that individuals could report on corrupt activities without fear of reprisal.
While no system can entirely eliminate corruption, the measures implemented by Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore significantly reduced its prevalence and set the nation on a path of robust economic growth and good governance.

Mr. Mody can take some pointers from Lee Kwan Yuw.
Good day
Whatever you have written above and holds good only,may be I am bit ambitious for countries like Singapore which has VERY SMALL POPULATION,MAXIMUM 3 LANGUAGE AND MINMUM DIVISION BASED ON FAITH.IN INDIA(as far as I know)
We have so many division,languages and ever increasing population with majority of population,including thd educated fail or refuse to realise thier future problems as an Indian in the context of world at large.We are more bound by our own survival than the population,because of which we are pulling through.To me,as you rightly said laws should be for Prevention of crime ,rathar than a shield for higher ups to use to their convenience.We, many time just try to live like a passing clouds whether it is an achievement by an India in any field or any thing happens good or bad around us, by just posting some congratulatory or criticising messages,then ready ourself for next events like this.Where is the True realisation of the happening or proud moment, if not an Indian or atleast a simple human being in India.When we are in align country, we are forced to say " I am Indian,coming fro. India,but not in our PROUD COUNRTY INDIA.,How many of us ready to say I am Indian rather than tamilian,Telugu,malayalee,Delhi tell etc
When there is no COMMON, LANGUGAGE,EDUCATION SYATEM AND A COMMON LAW IRRESPECTIVE OF CASTE,CREAD AND FAITH,HOW can we survive an Indian in India as an obident and humane Indian,following all the decipline with due respect to our fellow Indians irrespective of his status in terms of education,money,etc.
So where we are standing in today's, world as an Indian?!!

I agree that corruption is rampant in government departments.
It is probably true that some bank managers make money as kickback from loans. At the top level politicians force chairpersons and executive directors of banks to sanction huge loans to their close kin and staunch supporters and most of these loans end up as bad debts. The Money Changers by Arthur Hailey suggests that this is happening even in countries like USA and Canada.
BUT ...
I have accounts in banks (both private and nationalised) and in post offices. The service may be (painfully) slow but I have never had to seek an agent to cash any (let alone my own) cheque or even for getting quicker service (like a special fee corridor that you have in some temples for quick darshan). I cannot agree on this point and I am sure that many of the people in my country will vouch for what I say.

Some people purposefully want to malign India and show it in bad light. They talk only about the negatives which sometimes are not even the truth. It is as if other countries are ruled by angels who do not even know what corruption is. Everything is positive about such countries but if we really want to list corruption and evil mindedness of them, the list will never end.

Some people purposefully want to malign India and show it in bad light. They talk only about the negatives which sometimes are not even the truth. It is as if other countries are ruled by angels who do not even know what corruption is. Everything is positive about such countries but if we really want to list corruption and evil mindedness of them, the list will never end.
If you rob a bank and are caught in the process, with CCTV coverage and the cash in your hand, You are arrested and prosecuted and may be found guilty. You can not say that Nirav Modi did exactly and got away so You too should be set free.

You always try to point a finger at others for your failures. You have never accepted personal responsibility for your failures. You apply the same mantra to the failures of your near and dear. Life does work that way. You have to take some responsibility. You may carry on for a short time on the coattail of successful people, but one day they are going to kick you off, and then you will be on your own.

Your responses are always the same, you can post this same response to any thread because you did not invest your mind or time in the posts by others. You do not think others are thinking beings. I generally do not post replies to your post, as we can not have a rational discussion.

So if you choose not to reply to my post, I would not be hurt.

திருடனா பார்த்து திருந்தாவிடில்,திருட்டை ஒழிக்க முடியாது என்பது போல் ஒவ்வொரு தனி மனிதனும் சிறிதளவாவது சக மனிதர்களை பற்றி சிந்தித்து,தன்னை திருத்திக்கொள்ளாமல்,சுயநலமாக வாழ்ந்தால் இங்கு மாறுதலுக்கு சாத்திய கூறுகள் மிக மிக குறைவே.
THERE IS NO POINT IN BLAMING OTHERS WHEN YOU ARE NOT ABLE analyse and understand YOUR PLUS AND MINUS, AS WRITTEN BY PRASADji , there should not be any ESCAPSIM BY BLAMING OTHERS FOR ALL HAPPENING IN THE SOCIETY,WITHOUT REMEMBERING WE ALSO PART OF THE SAME .

If you rob a bank and are caught in the process, with CCTV coverage and the cash in your hand, You are arrested and prosecuted and may be found guilty. You can not say that Nirav Modi did exactly and got away so You too should be set free.

You always try to point a finger at others for your failures. You have never accepted personal responsibility for your failures. You apply the same mantra to the failures of your near and dear. Life does work that way. You have to take some responsibility. You may carry on for a short time on the coattail of successful people, but one day they are going to kick you off, and then you will be on your own.

Your responses are always the same, you can post this same response to any thread because you did not invest your mind or time in the posts by others. You do not think others are thinking beings. I generally do not post replies to your post, as we can not have a rational discussion.

So if you choose not to reply to my post, I would not be hurt.
A meaningless response. Of course I am not going to waste time with a response. Certainly I would be hurt if you respond.

Those who abuse our country and have fun at it, expect to be cheered for what they are doing. May be they are paid for it. The western countries are notorious when it comes to sponsoring such obnoxious activities. They are taking our tolerance for granted and best of all start attacking us when we call out their game.

Admin. Please note..

Again this person is instigating maligning thoughts about india. He is posting as if India is the only corrupt country and corruption is all pervading. He is also lieing that he has to get an agent to cash a cheque.

On top of it.. when pointed out by sravna, he replies he will not be hurt if sravna did not reply.

It might be good if some personal messages were exchanged with this entity regarding his anti india and anti indian culture posts.

Admin. Please note..

Again this person is instigating maligning thoughts about india. He is posting as if India is the only corrupt country and corruption is all pervading. He is also lieing that he has to get an agent to cash a cheque.

On top of it.. when pointed out by sravna, he replies he will not be hurt if sravna did not reply.

It might be good if some personal messages were exchanged with this entity regarding his anti india and anti indian culture posts.
Well said Krishnan. People have to be reined in when their agenda is clear and corrupt. My support for your request to admin.

Hi

just supply and demand theory......its economic theory.....
Is it that simple?

Corruption, at its core, is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain. While it's not accurate to reduce the entirety of corruption to a simple matter of supply and demand, certain aspects of corruption can be examined through this lens.

Here's how supply and demand might apply to corruption:

1. Demand for Corruption: This refers to those who want to corrupt others. This can be because they:
    • Want faster services or preferential treatment.
    • Seek to bypass laws or regulations.
    • Hope to secure contracts or deals that might not be rightfully theirs.
    • Desire to avoid penalties or taxes.
  2. Supply of Corruption: This refers to those willing to be corrupted. For various reasons, some individuals might:
    • Accept bribes to expedite a service.
    • Overlook legal infractions for personal gain.
    • Deliver services or contracts in exchange for favors.
Factors Influencing the Supply and Demand of Corruption:

1. Lack of Oversight: Where monitoring systems and checks and balances are weak, the likelihood of corruption increases.
  2. Cultural Norms: In some societies, giving and accepting bribes or favors might be viewed as standard practice or even a sign of respect.
  3. Economic Incentives: When the potential financial gains from corruption exceed the expected cost (considering the risk of detection and punishment), individuals might be more inclined to engage in corrupt practices.
  4. Weak Judicial Systems: If there's little risk of being caught and prosecuted, the "supply" side might be more willing to engage in corrupt practices.
  5. Lack of Transparency: In systems where decisions are made behind closed doors, and there is little public scrutiny, corruption can thrive.
  6. Low Salaries: In environments where public officials earn very low wages, the temptation to augment income through bribes can increase.
  7. Monopoly Power: When a single entity or a small group controls a significant resource or service, there's a higher chance of corruption as they can control access and prices.
However, it's essential to understand that the "supply and demand" framework is just one way to analyze corruption. Corruption is multifaceted, and its causes and effects are deeply rooted in a combination of cultural, economic, political, and social factors. Reducing it simply to supply and demand might overlook many of these complexities.

Corruption is a complex phenomenon, influenced by various factors including cultural norms, local conditions, and economic realities. Here's a more in-depth look at how these elements play a role:

1. Cultural Norms:
    • Gift-giving and reciprocity: In some cultures, giving gifts to people in positions of power is seen as a sign of respect or a token of appreciation. However, the line between gift-giving and bribery can be blurry. When gift-giving practices are co-opted to achieve unjust favors or advantages, they can become a form of corruption.
    • Hierarchy and power dynamics: In societies with strong hierarchical structures, lower-ranked individuals might feel compelled to offer bribes or engage in corrupt acts to gain favor or secure benefits from those higher up.
    • Tolerance towards corruption: If society generally accepts corrupt practices as "just the way things are" or views them as necessary evils, then corruption can persist. This acceptance can come from a history of ingrained practices, or from the belief that corruption is inevitable.
  2. Variation by Location within a Country:
    • Urban vs. Rural: In some countries, corruption might be more rampant in urban centers due to higher economic activities and more bureaucratic structures. In contrast, rural areas might have their own forms of corruption tied to local governance, land rights, etc.
    • Regional disparities: Some regions within a country may have historically been marginalized or might have weaker institutions, leading to different forms and levels of corruption.
    • Local customs and leaders: The integrity and leadership style of local leaders can have a significant impact on the prevalence of corruption. Strong, ethical leadership might curb corrupt practices, while a corrupt local leader can normalize such behaviors.
  3. Economics of the Country:
    • Poverty and inequality: High levels of poverty and inequality can increase the propensity for corrupt behaviors. Individuals might resort to corruption as a means of survival or to bridge economic disparities.
    • Economic structure: Countries heavily reliant on natural resource extraction, for instance, might experience the "resource curse," where corruption becomes rampant due to the vast revenues generated from these resources and the competition to control them.
    • Economic openness: Countries with closed economies and less transparency might be more susceptible to corruption, as fewer checks and balances exist, and there's less international scrutiny.
While cultural norms, local conditions, and economic factors are significant drivers of corruption, they're part of a broader set of variables. Political institutions, the rule of law, education, civil society activism, and media freedom also play crucial roles in either curbing or exacerbating corruption.

The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) is an index which ranks countries "by their perceived levels of public sector corruption, as determined by expert assessments and opinion surveys." The CPI generally defines corruption as an "abuse of entrusted power for private gain". The index is published annually by the non-governmental organisation Transparency International since 1995.

The 2022 CPI, published in January 2023, currently ranks 180 countries "on a scale from 100 (very clean) to 0 (highly corrupt)" based on the situation between 1 May 2021 and 30 April 2022. Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, and Sweden are perceived as the least corrupt nations in the world, ranking consistently high among international financial transparency, while the most apparently corrupt are Somalia (scoring 12), Syria and South Sudan (both scoring 13).

23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India

Those who are already at the top would want to maintain that at all cost. Such nations harbor the need to control others and are doing it with meticulous planning and actions. It has come to a point where nobody can be trusted. Everyone is invested with an agenda working at some level with someone influential backing that agenda.

The only way out of it is polarization of the world. The existing top nations will not change. The rest should move away from their path and create an alternate to them. Russia is bravely doing that. It is in India's interests to not align with the capitalist sharks. Maintaining neutrality is fine. Aligning with the westerners would be antithetical and unnatural to Indian ethos. Right now India is indeed doing a fabulous job of it. Kudos India!

Hi

corruption is world problem......is there any where in the world....USA/UK IS ALSO CORRUPTION IN HIGH

LEVEL......just example...in olden days in indian railways......corruption rampant for ticket booking...

now due to computerization......corruption level is very low level in india,,,,

Last edited:
A meaningless response. Of course I am not going to waste time with a response. Certainly I would be hurt if you respond.
Sometime truth hurt,for which I can't do anything.what is the use in comparing foreign countries when yourself not able appreciate or consider good points and aswell the way to mend wherever and wherever possible within your limits," THE CORUPTION ".AS for as I read and infer from all your comments,they are more less either negative or with a clear intention to unapprove anything written againt your opinion, here.This is just to remind you that ,this is just a forum,where people are expressing thier opinion,which may or may not be accepted by every one.So i am not concerned about whatever you write as long as it is against the whole discussion itself.I will consider that what you wrote above is applicable to others only for not for you,in getting hurt. Please do not take anything to your heart unless you can actually see the right or practicality of the message written in this discussion.

Sometime truth hurt,for which I can't do anything.what is the use in comparing foreign countries when yourself not able appreciate or consider good points and aswell the way to mend wherever and wherever possible within your limits," THE CORUPTION ".AS for as I read and infer from all your comments,they are more less either negative or with a clear intention to unapprove anything written againt your opinion, here.This is just to remind you that ,this is just a forum,where people are expressing thier opinion,which may or may not be accepted by every one.So i am not concerned about whatever you write as long as it is against the whole discussion itself.I will consider that what you wrote above is applicable to others only for not for you,in getting hurt. Please do not take anything to your heart unless you can actually see the right or practicality of the message written in this discussion.
Dear Sir,

I am fine with criticism. But what about those making them? Are they paragons of virtue? What all I write are against third rate scoundrels and they deserve no sympathy. They do not want to be exposed and if anyone is trying to do that they attempt to turn the tables. Think about it sir.

I would be more than happy to write all that are positive. But negativity overwhelms. Even if positive is done , there is an ulterior motive. I believe a fundamental change is required. I am sorry if my messages sound harsh and pessimistic. Unless the ground rules change we are hurtling towards oblivion.

All people have to do is to not support blindly or idolate politicians, anyone for that matter and use the power of democracy and actually act severely against erring politicians. But people have been thoroughly brainwashed and not let to think.

All that the politicians are doing is engaging in a game of one upmanship with their opponents. The intention to solve a problem should be genuine. Why is it so difficult to do that? Is an invisible force preventing that? I really cant understand.

Also, the idea of pragmatism which invariably means being selfish, has marred nice behaviour and logic to the extreme. Pragmatism is indeed needed but lets not overdo it.

I have no issues with anyone here. Of course some are being used as pawns by those with agenda. My messages are directed at those with agenda only and I try to make the messages as sharp as possible and be effective given the thickness of their skin.

Last edited:
I have no issues with anyone here. Of course some are being used as pawns by those with agenda. My messages are directed at those with agenda only and I try to make the messages as sharp as possible and be effective given the thickness of their skin.
Well said ,
My humble questions which are definitely not to malign,hurt anyone without any intention to be negative
1.when we talk about everything from good to society viz country,How many of us reliase
raise or thought of the same objections when we ourselves were fighting for survival?
Baring Few, how many of us genuinely advise or practice the principles of life, like honesty, straight forwardness,when ourself were in need?
Do all these so called rich become so, without the output of those individual,who is more concerned about thier ownself and family welfare?
Are all individuals belongs any field whether it is politics,burecrates,rich,coming directly from heaven?After all they are also come from one among us.
As every human being has inherited nature of selfishness for survival and fear of thier life due this instict ,will always be made to act by those ,to thier whims and fancy through shere money and muscle power exalted,by thier power due to being in ruling .
Also don' t you thing this is continuing like ragging?
So to me unless at some point and age people reliase this to oppose,sacrifice,and become fearless about thier life,NOT ONLY CORUPTION ,EVERY BAD OR NEGATIVE THINGS CANNOT BE ERADICATED FROM ROOT IN THIS WORLD.
Please excuse me if any of the above writing (being my feeling),going to hurt or made to feel harsh by any one.

Dear Sir,

I understand the idea. You are effectively saying that muscle power and money power reigns and we ourselves are complicit in many ways for this situation.

It is true people should be willing to oppose and sacrifice.

One thing Sir. What if they just voice their opinion in unison? I mean the common man. The problem again is money and muscle power will ensure that it does not happen.

God sponsored and blessed efforts can only succeed. I am not sure whether I want to continue this way or not. But I am optimistic. That some day which I believe will be soon enough God indeed is going to push this hard.

Thank you Sir for your views. I appreciate it.

Latest ads

Back