• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Teaching Morals Of Ramayana To Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri Sharmah,

well said, sir. I also feel that even among we tabras, the knowledge about our religion as revealed in the various scriptures, is very minimal. However, having been told that "we are brahmins" and carrying a feeling that their kind of belief system is completely flawless many of the people live in religious bubbles of their own making and when even a small straw in the wind happens to break/tries to break this bubble, they are aghast with anger!

Even direct evidence from the scriptures which goes against the held beliefs is "wished away", so to say, on flimsy grounds like westerners' misinterpretation, the word "maamsa" in sanskrit means not only flesh but also the pulp of fruit, etc. But then why should someone kill an animal to get fruit-pulp?

What I feel is that hinduism has become a vast agglomeration of individualistic belief systems each holding his/her beliefs as unassailable. It is the vast interstices within such a molecular agglomeration that provides the fertile ground for various swamijis, gurus, babas, aanandas, etc., to grow in double quick time and make tons of money, I feel.

Sri Sangom

Please keep writing .. And we all get two kinds of opposition. One from a religiosity based reaction. I get that too :) You may or may not realize but to me you are preaching a religion
icon10.png
- one of your own interpretation.

Another kind of opposition may be by a set of reasons. When there are more than one interpretation in use one cannot simply say that is because someone is wishing your interpretation away.

There are but few references to meat in VR. But hundreds of references do exist to promoting the eating of vegetables. You may be right in your interpretation but there are other interpretations that do exist for words you used to come to your understanding . You can acknowledge their existence and move on.

I could not care less which is correct since I offered my understanding that we are not history centrism oriented tradition.

Here are my notes from a website. I do not know if this practice is true today but it is likely.

"In the South Indian temple town of Srirangam, when priests offer mango to Lord Ranganath, they chant the prayer, “iti aamra mamsa khanda samarpayami” (“I offer mango ‘mamsa’-mango flesh- for the Lord to eat) "

So the usage may be there today also of the word mamsa.

If those are flimsy to you that is a personal opinion for which I have no response.

Regards

tbs,

You are right.

Swami Chinmayananda studied in St. Thomas College, Trichur. Many of the people who have known him in the old days know him as "Kallukudiyan Balakrishnan" He was initiated into Sannyasa by Swami Sivananda. He was one of his disciples. Tapovan Maharaj came later and was his Jnana Guru.

Swamiji was a great man.

He did not believe that he is GOD. Once in his lecture he told us " People come to me and ask me to place my hand on their head. They say that will cure all ills and give them prosperity." He laughed and then continued "If it was true, my hand would be permanently on my head."

He had a great sense of humour. The last time I met him, I had taken my children to get his blessings. They did sashtanga namaskaram and touched his feet. My wife told my younger son "Touch the feet properly." Swamiji heard this, laughed and then said " are my feet a tooth paste tube? The more you press you get more blessings?"

These dialogues were in Malayalam. The impact is lost in translation.

All the brahmin bashers followed the same logic in this forum; so this line of pontification is nothing new. Real believing brahmins do not care whether someone gives him a 'brahmin certificate'. They learn a bit, follow a bit of their traditions till they find a guru or acharyan.

True, we, for a few generations, have moved away from vedic learning. But, in recent years, many have come forward to preserve their specific sampradayams. Some have even given up the mnc jobs and culture to support such a cause.

Please do not bash brahmins, whether they know vedas or not or active practicer or not. There are enough communists, secularists, and missionaries to do that. The communist party in kerala is in a dilemma as its christian and muslim members have asserted that they will practice and pray.

Sangom,

I remember the first Veda sabha that I attended long back. The principal organizer and the person behind the sabha was telling us about the necessity of these sabhas. I remember one statement he made "The Tamil Brahmins call themselves Vaidhika Brahmins and swear by Vedas. But most of them know next to nothing about the Vedas." He is a Tamil Brahmin. Later on I realized how right he was. Hardly any one knows to which Sakha they belong. The term sakha is unknown. The Yajurveda followers of Tamil Nadu do not even know that there are two Yajur Vedas. Krishna and Shukla. I can go on. Unfortunately all these people would argue about the supremacy of the Vedas at the drop of a hat.

hi
every individual makes man stronger in belief in religion or disbelief in religion...i read some story abt swami chinmayananda abt his

poorvarma stories...i may be wrong...he was jounalist/communist too...he went to rishikesh ....to take inerview abt swami

sivanananda....he had a lot of questions abt god/religion etc....finally he met swamiji at tapovanam and later he became sanyasi....

so he was atheist/agonist too...sometimes somewhere something happens....a great devotee can become an atheist /agonist...

an atheist can become a devotee too...IT DEPENDS ON INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES.....MORE PERSONAL INCIDENTS TOO...

like lord rama is avatar for somebody....same rama is hero of kalidasa's raghuvamsa.......kaidasa was a great poet....

so he need a great hero/heroine for his poem......raghuvamsa became a great poetic work...

Shri tbs sir,

About Swami Chinmayananda (SC), I have heard from his English Professor (who was called by the honorific "Shakespeare ...Pillai, I forget the correct name now) on TV that Chinmayananda did something unpardonable to a female member of the (then) Cochin Royal family for which he was banished from that state. Having lost his job and all hopes, SC, it seems wandered throughout the country for some time. His last paisa also gone, he went to the hostel of Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi college hostel, in Kanpur, and took a good amount from the purse of this professor who was teaching in that college then. SC reportedly left a note saying he was at his wits' end as also money and that was the reason he was taking the undue freedom of taking money.

In Shivaananda Ashram SC got impatient and even before Shivananda gave him permission to go out and spread the spiritual message; so SC left the Ashram and started his Geetaa jnaana yajnas around the country. His command of English lamguage coupled with seemingly modernist interpretations of some of the points in BG, secured for him a large following especially from Malayalis, Pattars and Kerala Iyers of Mumbai. I have attended his first Geeta jnaana yajna in TVM in 1958 or 59; extremely good-looking Nair girls in the few front rows was one of the strong points of his lectures. I have seen personally how some of these girls and their elders used to just pour over SC after the lecture, and in his residence too.

I will credit him (SC) with the new-found popularity of BG among Hindus which possibly also helped BJP in gaining initial political support.

hi
i had personal contact with swami chinmayananda too....when i was studying in college...he visited my college and gave

a beautiful lecture in english...some point of my life time...i was planning joining in SANDEEPANI ASHRAM IN BOMBAY ....his own

gurukulam for brahmachari/brahmacharini too...but my fate was different...even though he was a NB...many brahmins followed him...

so my point is rama is lord for valmiki or hero of kalidasa.....it does not matter....DEPENDS ON INDIVIDUAL....

hi
i had personal contact with swami chinmayananda too....when i was studying in college...he visited my college and gave

a beautiful lecture in english...some point of my life time...i was planning joining in SANDEEPANI ASHRAM IN BOMBAY ....his own

gurukulam for brahmachari/brahmacharini too...but my fate was different...even though he was a NB...many brahmins followed him...

so my point is rama is lord for valmiki or hero of kalidasa.....it does not matter....DEPENDS ON INDIVIDUAL....

Dear TBS Garu,

I had read some of his books and he his explanation is excellent and direct to the point.

There is a saying in tamil that it is very difficult to fathom rishi moolam and nadi moolam. The proverb has to be reworded. Soon we can expect an authentic bio of SC, perhaps in the next chennai book fair. For some other lucky souls, 'what he/she is now, is important, not what he/she was'. There is apt shakespeare quote, but it eludes me now.

Shri tbs sir,

About Swami Chinmayananda (SC), I have heard from his English Professor (who was called by the honorific "Shakespeare ...Pillai, I forget the correct name now) on TV that Chinmayananda did something unpardonable to a female member of the (then) Cochin Royal family for which he was banished from that state. Having lost his job and all hopes, SC, it seems wandered throughout the country for some time. His last paisa also gone, he went to the hostel of Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi college hostel, in Kanpur, and took a good amount from the purse of this professor who was teaching in that college then. SC reportedly left a note saying he was at his wits' end as also money and that was the reason he was taking the undue freedom of taking money.

In Shivaananda Ashram SC got impatient and even before Shivananda gave him permission to go out and spread the spiritual message; so SC left the Ashram and started his Geetaa jnaana yajnas around the country. His command of English lamguage coupled with seemingly modernist interpretations of some of the points in BG, secured for him a large following especially from Malayalis, Pattars and Kerala Iyers of Mumbai. I have attended his first Geeta jnaana yajna in TVM in 1958 or 59; extremely good-looking Nair girls in the few front rows was one of the strong points of his lectures. I have seen personally how some of these girls and their elders used to just pour over SC after the lecture, and in his residence too.

I will credit him (SC) with the new-found popularity of BG among Hindus which possibly also helped BJP in gaining initial political support.

From Shirdi Sai baba to Melamaruvattur Amma to Mata Amrutanandamayi - all have brahmin disciples.

...even though he was a NB...many brahmins followed him...

Dear Shri Sharmah,

well said, sir. I also feel that even among we tabras, the knowledge about our religion as revealed in the various scriptures, is very minimal. However, having been told that "we are brahmins" and carrying a feeling that their kind of belief system is completely flawless many of the people live in religious bubbles of their own making and when even a small straw in the wind happens to break/tries to break this bubble, they are aghast with anger!

Even direct evidence from the scriptures which goes against the held beliefs is "wished away", so to say, on flimsy grounds like westerners' misinterpretation, the word "maamsa" in sanskrit means not only flesh but also the pulp of fruit, etc. But then why should someone kill an animal to get fruit-pulp?

What I feel is that hinduism has become a vast agglomeration of individualistic belief systems each holding his/her beliefs as unassailable. It is the vast interstices within such a molecular agglomeration that provides the fertile ground for various swamijis, gurus, babas, aanandas, etc., to grow in double quick time and make tons of money, I feel.

Very well written honest opinion, and good observation.

Sri Prasad -

My statement that Sri Raju highlighted applies to any field.

If your child wants to learn Chemistry for Advanced Placement but not offered in his or her school you would not think twice about finding a teacher who teaches high school chemistry.

My children are born and raised in USA and are in graduate school now. When they were at an age to learn how to drive I had to find a qualified instructor since I did not feel qualified to teach them.

If this idea of finding a properly qualified teacher applies to common learning topics I would assume this goes for teaching principle centered leadership using our scriptures as well.

If this was about preaching but not teaching I would say there is no need for any qualifications for a teacher.

I know creating the right environment for children to learn such topics such as our epics is not easy but almost everyone I know who are determined were able to find an arrangement. We were fortunate to find proper teachers.

In general I agree with your statement. In ideal circumstances it is a good suggestion. But we do not live in perfect world. We have to improvise and get by what we have. So constantly telling us parents that we are not qualified to teach our children within our means does not help.
Give us the tools so we may improve our knowledge, and talk honestly with our children.

Shri tbs sir,

Sir,
I am a member of Chinmaya family. I respect the organization. I still read all their books.
But like Chinmayananda himself used to say
"Every Sadhu had a paste, but every sinner has a future".
We need not rake mud on a great teacher. That is my humble request.

In general I agree with your statement. In ideal circumstances it is a good suggestion. But we do not live in perfect world. We have to improvise and get by what we have. So constantly telling us parents that we are not qualified to teach our children within our means does not help.
Give us the tools so we may improve our knowledge, and talk honestly with our children.

I live in the same world as you! The people i know who found an acceptable solution also live in our imperfect world.

Parental role does not come with knowledge in many areas. I do not agree that teaching any of this is easy that it can be taken up by anyone.

Let us agree to disagree.

Regards

I live in the same world as you! The people i know who found an acceptable solution also live in our imperfect world.

Parental role does not come with knowledge in many areas. I do not agree that teaching any of this is easy that it can be taken up by anyone.

Let us agree to disagree.

Regards
Ok
But please remember that 99.9999999% of people live with ordinary mortal teachers, and carry on their life and are successful people.
The others either have Dakshinamoorty himself as teacher or live in fool's paradise.

Sir,
I am a member of Chinmaya family. I respect the organization. I still read all their books.
But like Chinmayananda himself used to say
"Every Sadhu had a paste, but every sinner has a future".
We need not rake mud on a great teacher. That is my humble request.

Dear Shri Prasad,

I belong to a family (both parents' sides) in which the older generations up till my father, did not encourage the guru/swamiji/holyman/godman/godwoman cults. They believed that for any person, doing one's duty, both religious and material (mundane) is more than sufficient and the only thing we ought to do towards any saffron-clad person, swamiji or self-proclaimed guruji is to give him "bhikshai" if he comes in front of our house and says "bhavati bhikshaam dehi". My mother's grandfather was quite strict about this and none of the members in our family till my parents' generation had any links to any of these categories. Having been brought up in such an atmosphere I find it really difficult to accept your view that "every sadhu has a past" and that past, however ugly, must be simply swept under the carpet because they project themselves to be "great teacher" or because "every sinner has a future". Perhaps my FIL was the first person to start following a guru, which we did not particularly applaud.

After reading your post it seems to me that the difference between our pro-divine Rama members and yourself seems to be wafer thin and also like a bit childish. Kids usually fight about their favourite comic hero/cricket player etc., because they cannot bear any criticism of their favourites. Are we all still at the same stage? Why not accept your guru with all the mud in his past?

Dear Shri Prasad,

I belong to a family (both parents' sides) in which the older generations up till my father, did not encourage the guru/swamiji/holyman/godman/godwoman cults. They believed that for any person, doing one's duty, both religious and material (mundane) is more than sufficient and the only thing we ought to do towards any saffron-clad person, swamiji or self-proclaimed guruji is to give him "bhikshai" if he comes in front of our house and says "bhavati bhikshaam dehi". My mother's grandfather was quite strict about this and none of the members in our family till my parents' generation had any links to any of these categories. Having been brought up in such an atmosphere I find it really difficult to accept your view that "every sadhu has a past" and that past, however ugly, must be simply swept under the carpet because they project themselves to be "great teacher" or because "every sinner has a future". Perhaps my FIL was the first person to start following a guru, which we did not particularly applaud.

After reading your post it seems to me that the difference between our pro-divine Rama members and yourself seems to be wafer thin and also like a bit childish. Kids usually fight about their favourite comic hero/cricket player etc., because they cannot bear any criticism of their favourites. Are we all still at the same stage? Why not accept your guru with all the mud in his past?

Your opinion is valid.
I do not believe that Chinmayananda was a godman, he himself would not accept it. I only meant that he was a great teacher. My mother was an ordinary women, but to me she was extraordinary person, and I would implore others not to disparage her. In similar vein I asked that My teacher not be maligned or disparaged.

There is a saying in tamil that it is very difficult to fathom rishi moolam and nadi moolam. The proverb has to be reworded. Soon we can expect an authentic bio of SC, perhaps in the next chennai book fair. For some other lucky souls, 'what he/she is now, is important, not what he/she was'. There is apt shakespeare quote, but it eludes me now.

From Shirdi Sai baba to Melamaruvattur Amma to Mata Amrutanandamayi - all have brahmin disciples.

Dear Shri sarang,

The Tamil saying AFAIK is "do not go into Nadimoolam and Rishimoolam" and not that it is difficult to fathom either or both of these. The saying came into vogue most probably because, just as the starting point of a river need not necessarily in a good and habitable area, nor necessarily in clean surroundings, the past of a Rishi can be very murky and also sinful. But hinduism, the religion beatified certain persons as Rishis, right from the vedic period and even today some saffron-clad guru is described as Rishi by his devotees because of their overflowing devotion.

It is not clear what you are referring to by SC. If it is Scheduled Caste, what is its relevance here? Valmeeki was an ST, Vyasa probably SC or OBC (son of Satyavati). Perhaps there were more Rishis like these, we have to do a complete check.

What he/she is now, is as important, imo, as what he/she was in the past. If the Rishimoolam theory is applied to our MPs/MLAs we may end up with all the vilest villains ruling us in their new garb of elected representatives. IMHO, hinduism and hence possibly India will prosper and progress only when its populace gets out of the vicious clutches of all the gurus/swamis/godmen/godwomen and also the unnecessary preoccupation with aanmeekam.

I am aware that mine is a lone voice here. As and when I feel I have difficulty even in expressing my views, I will quit posting in this forum. So, it is now for you (and your friends) to fumigate me out ;)

Very clever. You are the one to call revered Swami Chinmayananda as SC. Sanatana dharma has no clause as scheduled castes.

It is not clear what you are referring to by SC. If it is Scheduled Caste, what is its relevance here? Valmeeki was an ST, Vyasa probably SC or OBC (son of Satyavati). Perhaps there were more Rishis like these, we have to do a complete check.

What he/she is now, is as important, imo, as what he/she was in the past. If the Rishimoolam theory is applied to our MPs/MLAs we may end up with all the vilest villains ruling us in their new garb of elected representatives. IMHO, hinduism and hence possibly India will prosper and progress only when its populace gets out of the vicious clutches of all the gurus/swamis/godmen/godwomen and also the unnecessary preoccupation with aanmeekam.

I am aware that mine is a lone voice here. As and when I feel I have difficulty even in expressing my views, I will quit posting in this forum. So, it is now for you (and your friends) to fumigate me out ;)

Dear Shri Sarang, Shri Prasad,

I apologize unconditionally for my forgetfulness; it was not an attempt to become clever, dear sarang, but one of the inevitable results of age telling upon a human being. Added to that, if there was the name Swami Chinmayananda in Shri Sarang's post # 307, perhaps I would have understood. In the absence of such a thing, I just took it as a general reference and since SC is usually Scheduled caste, I went on the basis of such an inference.

As to Shri Sarang's reference to an authentic biography of SC, in Kerala many people still living know about it. Prof. Shakespeare Velayudhan Nair (I got his name now!) died only 7 or 8 years ago and he had given his honest bio of SC (Balakrishna Menon in poorvaashramam) in a TV interview sometime before his demise. There will still be many people who studied, worked, etc., along with Balakrishna Menon and some of them may not try to eulogize the latter's life by white-washing.

And in the Malayalam web world it may still be possible to find some true bio.

Rama ceased to be of interest to me thereafter. During the last about 8 years I have been trying to learn what exactly our scriptures say, literally and what does religion in the general sense mean? As I had many books on Ramayana, M Bh, etc. available on-line as also hard copies purchased, I came to the conclusion that Rama of Vaalmeeki is not the Rama of hindu worship today. I just wanted to bring this point to be on record here in the archives of this Forum, that was all.

Shri Sangom

I want to bring about Sita. We all heared about Lakshman rekha. Lakshmana, before he left the parnasala, drew a line and asked Sita to stay inside the line. However, she didn’t. So Ravana abduct her. But in VR Seetha invite Ravana in disguise. In VR there is no mention of lakshmana rekha.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the course of the very interesting questions and answers, it would be interesting to quote an extract from Sri Swami Sivananda on Ramayana( below). For what it is worth and means!!
The esoteric meaning of Ramayana is this:

"Ravana represents Ahankara or egoism. His ten heads represent the ten senses. The city of Lanka is the nine gated city of the physical body. Vibhishana corresponds to the intellect. Sita is peace. Rama is Jana (wisdom). To kill the ten headed Ravana is to kill the egoism and curb the senses. To recover Sita is to attain the peace whicvh the Jiva (individual) has lost on account of desires. To attain Jana is to have darsana of Rama or the Supreme Self.

He who crosses this ocean of Moha and destroys the Rakashasas—Raga and Dvesha (likes and dislikes) is a Yogin who is united with Shanti or Peace, ever rests in the Atman and enjoys the eternal bliss. Sri Rama stands for the “ Good” (Sattva); Ravana for the “Evil”. Sri Rama and Ravana fought with each other. Eventually Sri Rama became victorious. The positive always overcomes the negative. Good always overcomes evil."

Sri Sangom

Please keep writing .. And we all get two kinds of opposition. One from a religiosity based reaction. I get that too :) You may or may not realize but to me you are preaching a religion - one of your own interpretation.

Another kind of opposition may be by a set of reasons. When there are more than one interpretation in use one cannot simply say that is because someone is wishing your interpretation away.

There are but few references to meat in VR. But hundreds of references do exist to promoting the eating of vegetables. You may be right in your interpretation but there are other interpretations that do exist for words you used to come to your understanding . You can acknowledge their existence and move on.

I could not care less which is correct since I offered my understanding that we are not history centrism oriented tradition.

Here are my notes from a website. I do not know if this practice is true today but it is likely.

"In the South Indian temple town of Srirangam, when priests offer mango to Lord Ranganath, they chant the prayer, “iti aamra mamsa khanda samarpayami”

(“I offer mango ‘mamsa’-mango flesh- for the Lord to eat) "

So the usage may be there today also of the word mamsa.

If those are flimsy to you that is a personal opinion for which I have no response.

Regards

Dear Shri tks sir,

I will take up the following observation first:

"In the South Indian temple town of Srirangam, when priests offer mango to Lord Ranganath, they chant the prayer, “iti aamra mamsa khanda

samarpayami” (“I offer mango ‘mamsa’-mango flesh- for the Lord to eat) "

You have not given the source, but it looks like an excerpt from somewhere. Will you kindly furnish the original source also for my info?

The smaarta practice is to offer the two sides or "katuppus" of a mango fruit, as we call them here, as naivedyam. It is an accepted practice not to offer a single

item/piece as naivedyam; even in the case of the ordinary yellow banana, a minimum of two have to be offered (I don't know the reason.) When the two fleshy parts, usually called "mango flesh" in western recipes, is offered as naivedyam the mantra to be recited as per Shastra is "आम्रफल खण्डद्वयं निवेदयामि or आम्रफल खण्डद्वयं महानैवेद्यं समर्पयामि" (āmraphala khaṇḍadvayaṃ nivedayāmi or āmraphala khaṇḍadvayaṃ mahānaivedyaṃ samarpayāmi).

The quote you have given seems to have a grammatical error also; "iti aamra mamsa khanda samarpayami" will truly mean "thus, piece of mango flesh: I offer"

the object is not in dwiteeyaa vibhakti (mamsa khandam or mamsa khandaan, if there are more than two, will be the correct mantra, imho. Hence, your

reference does not seem to be from an authentic source.)

Coming to meat- eating by Rama in Vaalmeeki Ramayana, there is this sloka:

क्रोशमात्रम् ततो गत्वा भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मनौ || २-५५-३३
बहून्मेध्यान् मृगान् हत्वा चेरतुर्यमुनावने |

33. tataH = thereafter; gatvaa = having travelled; kroshamaatram = only a couple of miles; bhraatarau = the two brothers; raamalakshhmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; hatvaa = killed; bahuun = many; medhyaan = consecrated (edible as per Shastras); mR^igaan = deer; cheratuH = ate; yamunaavane = in the river-forest of Yamuna.

Thereafter having travelled only a couple of krosas, the two brothers Rama and Lakshmana killed many edible varieties of deer and ate in the river-forest of Yamuna.

The verb root चर (cara) means "to eat" as also "to move, to go" and certain other meanings like to graze, etc., which may not fit in here. If we take the escapist route of 'go' as the correct one, we will come to the meaning—

Thereafter having travelled only a couple of miles the two brothers Rama and Lakshmana killed many edible varieties of deer and went to the river-forest of Yamuna.

This will then be very similar to the one mentioned earlier, viz. —

तौ तत्र हत्वा चतुरः महा मृगान्।
वराहम् ऋश्यम् पृषतम् महा रुरुम्।
आदाय मेध्यम् त्वरितम् बुभुक्षितौ।
वासाय काले ययतुर् वनः पतिम्॥ २-५२-१०२

tau tatra hatvā caturaḥ mahā mṛgān |
varāham ṛśyam pṛṣatam mahā rurum |
ādāya medhyam tvaritam bubhukṣitau|
vāsāya kāle yayatur vanaḥ patim || 2-52-102

Having hunted there four deer, namely Varaaha, Rishya, Prisata; and Mahaaruru (the four principal species of deer) and taking quickly the portions that were pure, being hungry as they were, Rama and Lakshmana reached a tree to take rest in the evening.

If we keep out the eating of the meat of the hunted animals, because in our belief Rama (and therefore, Lakshmana and Sita) could not have eaten flesh, then it will be clearly seen that these two brothers Rama and Lakshmana were killing the non-dangerous herbivores just for time-pass. What a cruel pastime for one who is hailed as a paradigm for good conduct! Even if it is argued that hunting was a shastra-permitted pastime for kshatriyas in those days, should not Rama have refrained from killing perfectly gentle deer and just leaving their dead bodies and also forbidden Lakshmana from indulging in such cowardly hunting tactics? (It is relevant to note that the same Rama meticulously stuck to the one-wife principle - in terms of hindu perception of 20th. and 21st. century - even though the Shastras permitted many wives for the king and Manthara alludes to such a state of affairs existing. Again, recently one cinema actor did much the same heroic act of killing a black buck and is going in and out of the court of law even now!)

Therefore, if it is held that the Maryaadaa Purushotham Ram just indulged in some sort of deer-killing spree during every day of the vanavaasa, it will be an illegal atrocity by today's standards of ethicality, imo. May be, there will be some saving grace at least if it is accepted that in those days (Govinda says millions of years ago) people ate meat, irrespective of their caste and that Ramalakshamanou, killed deer and ate the permissible portions of the meat thereof.

As to brahmins themselves eating meat, VR itself has the following verses :—

रोहितान् वक्र तुण्डान् च नल मीनान् च राघव॥ ३-७३-१४

पंपायाम् इषुभिः मत्स्यान् तत्र राम वरान् हतान्।
निस्त्वक्पक्षानयसतप्तानकृशान्नैककण्टकान् - यद्वा -
निः त्वक् पक्षान् अयस तप्तान् अकृशान् न अनेक कण्टकान्॥ ३-७३-१५

तव भक्त्या समायुक्तो लक्ष्मणः संप्रदास्यति।
भृशम् तान् खादतो मत्स्यान् पंपायाः पुष्प संचये॥ ३-७३-१६

rohitān vakra tuṇḍān ca nala mīnān ca rāghava || 3-73-14

paṁpāyām iṣubhiḥ matsyān tatra rāma varān hatān |
nistvakpakṣānayasataptānakṛśānnaikakaṇṭakān - yadvā -
niḥ tvak pakṣān ayasa taptān akṛśān na aneka kaṇṭakān || 3-73-15

tava bhaktyā samāyukto lakṣmaṇaḥ saṁpradāsyati |
bhṛśam tān khādato matsyān paṁpāyāḥ puṣpa saṁcaye || 3-73-16

"Oh, Rama in that Pampa Lake there are best fishes, red-carps, and blunt-snouted small porpoises, and a sort of sprats, which are neither scraggy, nor with many fish-bones. Lakshmana will reverentially offer them to you on skewering them with arrow, and on broiling them on iron rod of arrow after descaling and de-finning them. [3-73-14b, 15, 16a]

पद्म गन्धि शिवम् वारि सुख शीतम् अनामयम्।
उद्धृत्य स तदा अक्लिष्टम् रूप्य स्फटिक सन्निभम्॥ ३-७३-१७
अथ पुष्कर पर्णेन लक्ष्मणः पाययिष्यति।
padma gandhi śivam vāri sukha śītam anāmayam |
uddhṛtya sa tadā akliṣṭam rūpya sphaṭika sannibham || 3-73-17
atha puṣkara parṇena lakṣmaṇaḥ pāyayiṣyati |

"While you eat those fishes to satiety, Lakshmana will offer you the water of Pampa Lake, which will be in the bunches of flowers of that lake, and which will be lotus-scented, pellucid, comfortably cool, shiny like silver and crystal, uncontaminated and that way pristine, by lifting it up that water with lotus leaf, making that leaf a stoup-like basin... [3-73-16b, 17, 18a]

पंच पंच नखा भक्ष्या ब्रह्म क्षत्रेण राघव।
शल्यकः श्वाविधो गोधा शशः कूर्मः च पंचमः॥ १-१७-३९
paṁca paṁca nakhā bhakṣyā brahma kṣatreṇa rāghava |
śalyakaḥ śvāvidho godhā śaśaḥ kūrmaḥ ca paṁcamaḥ || 1-17-39

"Raghava, five kinds of five-nailed animals, viz., a kind of wild rodent, a kind of wild-boar, a kind of lizard, a hare and fifthly the turtle are edible for Brahmans and Kshatriya-s." [4-17-39]

saH tvam naama ca gotram ca kulam aacakSva tattvataH |
ekaH ca daNDakaaraNye kim artham carasi dvija || 3-47-24

"Such as you are, oh, Brahman, you may make mention of your name, parentage and caste, in their actuality. For what reason you are wandering in Dandaka forest lonesomely?" Thus Seetha questioned Ravana.

It is worth noting that Ravana had disguised himself as a dvija or one of the three higher castes.

Hence we may safely conclude that in those days the higher castes used to eat meat.

We have additional evidences to prove that flesh-eating by even great personages of yore.

तस्माद्धेन्वनद्दुहोर्नाश्नीयात् । तदुहोवाच याज्ञवल्क्यः । अश्नामि ऎवाहमंसलं चॆद्भवतीति ।
(शतपथ ब्रा. III.1.2.21) II-2-75 djvu page

"Therefore cows which are not lactating should not be eaten. Yajnavalkya said this: I (will) eat if it is "aṃsala" (tender?).

āpastaṃba dharma sūtra prescribes that the obligatory śrāddha must contain food mixed with fat, the best course being clarified butter and flesh (naiyamikaṃ tu śrāddha snehavadeva dadyāt | sarpirmāṃsamiti prathama kalpa \abhāve tailaśākamiti | āpa. dha. sū. II.8.19.13 to 15). The same sūtra also states that the pitṛs are satiated for a year by the offering of cow's flesh in a śrāddha, that by the fleś of a buffalo the gratification of pitṛs extends to more than a year, that this rule extends to the flesh of wild animals like hare, and domesticated animals like goats, that are fit for being sacrificed, that the pitṛs are gratified for endless time if the flesh of a rhinoceros is offered to the śrāddhabrāhmaṇas seated on rhinoceros skin, as also by the flesh of the (p-460, IV) fish called śatabali or the flesh of vārddhrīṇasa.
(saṃvatsaraṃ gavyena prīti| bhūyāsamato māhiṣeṇa | etena grāmyāraṇyānāṃ paśūnāṃ māṃsaṃ medhya vyākhyātam | khaḍgopastataraṇe khaḍgamāṃsenānantyaṃ kālam | tathā śatabalermatsyasya māṃsena vāghrāṇasya ca | (āpa. dha. sū. II.7.16.25 & II.&. 17.3)

It will, therefore, be no blasphemy IMHO, to hold the opinion that VR depicts Rama, Lakshmana and Sita as eating the edible flesh of the various animals which the brothers hunted and killed.

I have also read that in Kamba ramayanam, Rama finds fault with Sita for her liking for meat, most probably before agnipravesam. Somebody who may be thorough with Kambaramayanam may enlighten.

I am TB born and brought up in North. I had never met a meat-eating Tamilian, and similarly I had never met a meat eating Gujrathi. I assumed all Tamilians and Gujrathi to be vegetarian. Similarly I assumed all Gods and their avtaras to be vegetarian.
Then I migrated to USA and met all kinds if Tamilians and Gujrathis. I had to change my opinion.
Same happened after being on this site about our Avatars.
Now I am able to accept that people are people, and I have accept as they come.

Dear Shri tks sir,

I will take up the following observation first:

You have not given the source, but it looks like an excerpt from somewhere. Will you kindly furnish the original source also for my info?

The smaarta practice is to offer the two sides or "katuppus" of a mango fruit, as we call them here, as naivedyam. It is an accepted practice not to offer a single

item/piece as naivedyam; even in the case of the ordinary yellow banana, a minimum of two have to be offered (I don't know the reason.) When the two fleshy parts, usually called "mango flesh" in western recipes, is offered as naivedyam the mantra to be recited as per Shastra is "आम्रफल खण्डद्वयं निवेदयामि or आम्रफल खण्डद्वयं महानैवेद्यं समर्पयामि" (āmraphala khaṇḍadvayaṃ nivedayāmi or āmraphala khaṇḍadvayaṃ mahānaivedyaṃ samarpayāmi).

The quote you have given seems to have a grammatical error also; "iti aamra mamsa khanda samarpayami" will truly mean "thus, piece of mango flesh: I offer"

the object is not in dwiteeyaa vibhakti (mamsa khandam or mamsa khandaan, if there are more than two, will be the correct mantra, imho. Hence, your

reference does not seem to be from an authentic source.)

Coming to meat- eating by Rama in Vaalmeeki Ramayana, there is this sloka:

क्रोशमात्रम् ततो गत्वा भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मनौ || २-५५-३३
बहून्मेध्यान् मृगान् हत्वा चेरतुर्यमुनावने |

33. tataH = thereafter; gatvaa = having travelled; kroshamaatram = only a couple of miles; bhraatarau = the two brothers; raamalakshhmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; hatvaa = killed; bahuun = many; medhyaan = consecrated (edible as per Shastras); mR^igaan = deer; cheratuH = ate; yamunaavane = in the river-forest of Yamuna.

Thereafter having travelled only a couple of krosas, the two brothers Rama and Lakshmana killed many edible varieties of deer and ate in the river-forest of Yamuna.

The verb root चर (cara) means "to eat" as also "to move, to go" and certain other meanings like to graze, etc., which may not fit in here. If we take the escapist route of 'go' as the correct one, we will come to the meaning—

Thereafter having travelled only a couple of miles the two brothers Rama and Lakshmana killed many edible varieties of deer and went to the river-forest of Yamuna.

This will then be very similar to the one mentioned earlier, viz. —

तौ तत्र हत्वा चतुरः महा मृगान्।
वराहम् ऋश्यम् पृषतम् महा रुरुम्।
आदाय मेध्यम् त्वरितम् बुभुक्षितौ।
वासाय काले ययतुर् वनः पतिम्॥ २-५२-१०२

tau tatra hatvā caturaḥ mahā mṛgān |
varāham ṛśyam pṛṣatam mahā rurum |
ādāya medhyam tvaritam bubhukṣitau|
vāsāya kāle yayatur vanaḥ patim || 2-52-102

Having hunted there four deer, namely Varaaha, Rishya, Prisata; and Mahaaruru (the four principal species of deer) and taking quickly the portions that were pure, being hungry as they were, Rama and Lakshmana reached a tree to take rest in the evening.

If we keep out the eating of the meat of the hunted animals, because in our belief Rama (and therefore, Lakshmana and Sita) could not have eaten flesh, then it will be clearly seen that these two brothers Rama and Lakshmana were killing the non-dangerous herbivores just for time-pass. What a cruel pastime for one who is hailed as a paradigm for good conduct! Even if it is argued that hunting was a shastra-permitted pastime for kshatriyas in those days, should not Rama have refrained from killing perfectly gentle deer and just leaving their dead bodies and also forbidden Lakshmana from indulging in such cowardly hunting tactics? (It is relevant to note that the same Rama meticulously stuck to the one-wife principle - in terms of hindu perception of 20th. and 21st. century - even though the Shastras permitted many wives for the king and Manthara alludes to such a state of affairs existing. Again, recently one cinema actor did much the same heroic act of killing a black buck and is going in and out of the court of law even now!)

Therefore, if it is held that the Maryaadaa Purushotham Ram just indulged in some sort of deer-killing spree during every day of the vanavaasa, it will be an illegal atrocity by today's standards of ethicality, imo. May be, there will be some saving grace at least if it is accepted that in those days (Govinda says millions of years ago) people ate meat, irrespective of their caste and that Ramalakshamanou, killed deer and ate the permissible portions of the meat thereof.

As to brahmins themselves eating meat, VR itself has the following verses :—

रोहितान् वक्र तुण्डान् च नल मीनान् च राघव॥ ३-७३-१४

पंपायाम् इषुभिः मत्स्यान् तत्र राम वरान् हतान्।
निस्त्वक्पक्षानयसतप्तानकृशान्नैककण्टकान् - यद्वा -
निः त्वक् पक्षान् अयस तप्तान् अकृशान् न अनेक कण्टकान्॥ ३-७३-१५

तव भक्त्या समायुक्तो लक्ष्मणः संप्रदास्यति।
भृशम् तान् खादतो मत्स्यान् पंपायाः पुष्प संचये॥ ३-७३-१६

rohitān vakra tuṇḍān ca nala mīnān ca rāghava || 3-73-14

paṁpāyām iṣubhiḥ matsyān tatra rāma varān hatān |
nistvakpakṣānayasataptānakṛśānnaikakaṇṭakān - yadvā -
niḥ tvak pakṣān ayasa taptān akṛśān na aneka kaṇṭakān || 3-73-15

tava bhaktyā samāyukto lakṣmaṇaḥ saṁpradāsyati |
bhṛśam tān khādato matsyān paṁpāyāḥ puṣpa saṁcaye || 3-73-16

"Oh, Rama in that Pampa Lake there are best fishes, red-carps, and blunt-snouted small porpoises, and a sort of sprats, which are neither scraggy, nor with many fish-bones. Lakshmana will reverentially offer them to you on skewering them with arrow, and on broiling them on iron rod of arrow after descaling and de-finning them. [3-73-14b, 15, 16a]

पद्म गन्धि शिवम् वारि सुख शीतम् अनामयम्।
उद्धृत्य स तदा अक्लिष्टम् रूप्य स्फटिक सन्निभम्॥ ३-७३-१७
अथ पुष्कर पर्णेन लक्ष्मणः पाययिष्यति।
padma gandhi śivam vāri sukha śītam anāmayam |
uddhṛtya sa tadā akliṣṭam rūpya sphaṭika sannibham || 3-73-17
atha puṣkara parṇena lakṣmaṇaḥ pāyayiṣyati |

"While you eat those fishes to satiety, Lakshmana will offer you the water of Pampa Lake, which will be in the bunches of flowers of that lake, and which will be lotus-scented, pellucid, comfortably cool, shiny like silver and crystal, uncontaminated and that way pristine, by lifting it up that water with lotus leaf, making that leaf a stoup-like basin... [3-73-16b, 17, 18a]

पंच पंच नखा भक्ष्या ब्रह्म क्षत्रेण राघव।
शल्यकः श्वाविधो गोधा शशः कूर्मः च पंचमः॥ १-१७-३९
paṁca paṁca nakhā bhakṣyā brahma kṣatreṇa rāghava |
śalyakaḥ śvāvidho godhā śaśaḥ kūrmaḥ ca paṁcamaḥ || 1-17-39

"Raghava, five kinds of five-nailed animals, viz., a kind of wild rodent, a kind of wild-boar, a kind of lizard, a hare and fifthly the turtle are edible for Brahmans and Kshatriya-s." [4-17-39]

saH tvam naama ca gotram ca kulam aacakSva tattvataH |
ekaH ca daNDakaaraNye kim artham carasi dvija || 3-47-24

"Such as you are, oh, Brahman, you may make mention of your name, parentage and caste, in their actuality. For what reason you are wandering in Dandaka forest lonesomely?" Thus Seetha questioned Ravana.

It is worth noting that Ravana had disguised himself as a dvija or one of the three higher castes.

Hence we may safely conclude that in those days the higher castes used to eat meat.

We have additional evidences to prove that flesh-eating by even great personages of yore.

तस्माद्धेन्वनद्दुहोर्नाश्नीयात् । तदुहोवाच याज्ञवल्क्यः । अश्नामि ऎवाहमंसलं चॆद्भवतीति ।
(शतपथ ब्रा. III.1.2.21) II-2-75 djvu page

"Therefore cows which are not lactating should not be eaten. Yajnavalkya said this: I (will) eat if it is "aṃsala" (tender?).

āpastaṃba dharma sūtra prescribes that the obligatory śrāddha must contain food mixed with fat, the best course being clarified butter and flesh (naiyamikaṃ tu śrāddha snehavadeva dadyāt | sarpirmāṃsamiti prathama kalpa \abhāve tailaśākamiti | āpa. dha. sū. II.8.19.13 to 15). The same sūtra also states that the pitṛs are satiated for a year by the offering of cow's flesh in a śrāddha, that by the fleś of a buffalo the gratification of pitṛs extends to more than a year, that this rule extends to the flesh of wild animals like hare, and domesticated animals like goats, that are fit for being sacrificed, that the pitṛs are gratified for endless time if the flesh of a rhinoceros is offered to the śrāddhabrāhmaṇas seated on rhinoceros skin, as also by the flesh of the (p-460, IV) fish called śatabali or the flesh of vārddhrīṇasa.
(saṃvatsaraṃ gavyena prīti| bhūyāsamato māhiṣeṇa | etena grāmyāraṇyānāṃ paśūnāṃ māṃsaṃ medhya vyākhyātam | khaḍgopastataraṇe khaḍgamāṃsenānantyaṃ kālam | tathā śatabalermatsyasya māṃsena vāghrāṇasya ca | (āpa. dha. sū. II.7.16.25 & II.&. 17.3)

It will, therefore, be no blasphemy IMHO, to hold the opinion that VR depicts Rama, Lakshmana and Sita as eating the edible flesh of the various animals which the brothers hunted and killed.

I have also read that in Kamba ramayanam, Rama finds fault with Sita for her liking for meat, most probably before agnipravesam. Somebody who may be thorough with Kambaramayanam may enlighten.

Dear Sri Sangom sir

Thanks for this detailed posting which advances the points you are making very well.

Regarding the reference you asked for let me research and get back to you in a few days. A few years ago someone in another context talked about some of those verses you have referenced. At that time I came across some information and made some notes. My main point there is that the word Mamsa has more than one meaning. I understand that context of usage is important to get the correct meaning. I have very briefly heard and read explanations that refuted the points of some of these verses but I have not personally researched or come across the level of details you have provided.

When I was a student in high school I happen to study Sanskrit on my own to pass exams given by Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan. This was in addition to taking up the subject for my high school as an optional subject. I hated language studies in general though I did pass many of the exams given by Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan. After I hit third class marks in an exam one short of Shastri level I gave up and never spent time learning Sanskrit. They provided me a certificate for passing :) During that time my father used to read primarily Sundara Kandam and sometimes I will join. My exposure to VR is limited to that. Given my limited knowledge of Sanskrit, given that my understanding of Ramayana is through others and given that my interest is mainly in overall messages and teaching that can help towards my growth and maturity , I am not qualified to provide responses to the translations you have provided

In the absence of credible response by someone else your analysis stands in my view in this forum. My main point though all along is that there are other views I have come across for similar verses. A balanced presentation would provide those views as well.

For example a quick Google search identifies writing by Stephen Knapp

Vegetarianism Recommended in Vedic Scripture

But it does not go into depths like your post does in VR.

The analysis above is about the same level one sees in blogs and so authenticity level is about the same as any of our posts here.

The topic of what the historic figures did is not of interest to me personally. However, I do care about the value of Ramayana in the context of my personal growth and maturity. In 1000 years the text has been embellished which is clear from the fact that there are descriptions that defy laws of physics. So attempt to reconcile verses that stress vegetarianism and over those verses such as the one you have cited is a hard thing to do.

However I care about if the larger teachings that are abstracted and are reconcilable. At that level I have not found any contradictions. I already posted my view that taking an animal's body for survival of 'our body' (which is not us) is not inconsistent with any teaching.

Even descriptions of enjoyment is not an issue if those desires do not control our actions.

Given that our tradition is not history centric )and this is a key point, only thing that matters with our scriptures - embellished or otherwise - is if they have any teaching that leads to our personal growth here and now. Rama as Isvara as personification of Dharma lives in the heart of Bhakthas. The interpretation at a larger context ("big picture") is that it teaches universal principles that can lead to our growth and maturity.

Regards

Sri. tks,

The article given by you

Vegetarianism Recommended in Vedic Scripture

Basically quotes Bhagavad Gita, Manu Smiriti, Maha Bharata and Puranas. Of course stephen-knapp's definition of Vedas includes all this. According to him Bhagavatham is the main text of the Vedas. This is not accepted by a vast majority of Hindus.

Just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back