• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

old tamil saying/tamil proverb

Status
Not open for further replies.
dears NAMO NAMAHA. another old saying is "KAANAMAL KONAMAL KANDU KODU." this is in connection with helping the others by way of giving.give the others when nobody is seeing.give such that the individual"s( receivers) mind is not disturbed.give after ascertaining the receivers condition. another way of interpretation is also there . that is in connection with the"time of performing "sandyavandhanam". here "KODU" means giving "argyam" .in the morning sandhya is to be performed before the rise of sun . in the noon when the sun is right over the head.in the evening well before the sun set.by this you can not see the sun,sun is not at angle and can see the sun while performing "sandhya vandhanam" in the morning.noon and in the evening respectively. with namaskars."LET KNOWBLE THOUGHTS COME FROM ALL SOURCES/DIMENSIONS/SIDES."v.lalithakumar.

A good discussion. Somebody can give a final verdict as to the real meaning of 'pennukku Idam kodale to clear doubts and to put an end to the debate

'Mara' means not asking one to forget. But, the real meaning is 'stop, don't continue further', after a particular stage in one's life - say, after marrying the same girl.

dears namaskars. in tamizh there is a saying "PENNUKKU IDAM KODALE"iam not able to get the exact meaning of this .i request learned members to clarify me.in this context the following points may be considered.also.1)PEN-may be either daughter or wife other way any lady.2)IDAM -either left hand side or right hand side.the other way can be role/place(importance) also.here yet another point to be noted is-in PRAACCHINA VEEDHI(in pithru tharppanam)the upa veedham would be on the right hand shoulder only-though it my be meant as "IDAM").kindly enlighten me.LET KNOWBLE THOUGHTS COME FROM ALL SOURCES.with namaskars.v.lalithakumar

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Sri Sundaresan:-

"
A good discussion. Somebody can give a final verdict as to the real meaning of 'pennukku Idam kodale to clear doubts and to put an end to the debate"

There are three cardinal vices which are root cause for most evil deeds. Those vices are 'mann (real estate), ponn (gold) and penn (women). The misplaced sex urge, that is, the desire for sex with any good looking women can be really dangerous and can ruin a person completely. 'Pennukku Idam kodel' means, don't develop desire for uncntrolled sex. Of course, intimacy with the right woman, namely 'thy wife' is not a problem. This is how I understood that proverb from the childhood.

Kaanamal Konamal Kandu Kodu

dears NAMO NAMAHA. another old saying is "KAANAMAL KONAMAL KANDU KODU." this is in connection with helping the others by way of giving.give the others when nobody is seeing.give such that the individual"s( receivers) mind is not disturbed.give after ascertaining the receivers condition. another way of interpretation is also there . that is in connection with the"time of performing "sandyavandhanam". here "KODU" means giving "argyam" .in the morning sandhya is to be performed before the rise of sun . in the noon when the sun is right over the head.in the evening well before the sun set.by this you can not see the sun,sun is not at angle and can see the sun while performing "sandhya vandhanam" in the morning.noon and in the evening respectively. with namaskars."LET KNOWBLE THOUGHTS COME FROM ALL SOURCES/DIMENSIONS/SIDES."v.lalithakumar.

The second option is more fitting one

Pennukku Idam Kodale

Sri Sundaresan:-

"
A good discussion. Somebody can give a final verdict as to the real meaning of 'pennukku Idam kodale to clear doubts and to put an end to the debate"

There are three cardinal vices which are root cause for most evil deeds. Those vices are 'mann (real estate), ponn (gold) and penn (women). The misplaced sex urge, that is, the desire for sex with any good looking women can be really dangerous and can ruin a person completely. 'Pennukku Idam kodel' means, don't develop desire for uncntrolled sex. Of course, intimacy with the right woman, namely 'thy wife' is not a problem. This is how I understood that proverb from the childhood.

Thank you. It is a clear explanation. Why Mann and Ponn not added in the proverb

The proverb says that man turns dog at forty. The dog hates new men. Man on attaining forty, loses interest in new things and is not prepared to meet new challenges. He is content with his old living place, old friends, old job etc.
நாற்பது வயதில் நாய்க் குணம் என்று பழமொழி கூறுகிறது. நாயின் சிறந்த குணமான நன்றி உடைமை இங்கே குறிக்கப்படவில்லை. புதிய மனிதர்களை ஏற்றுக் கொள்ள மறுத்துக் குரைக்கும் குணமே இங்கு கூறப்படுகிறது. பொதுவாகக் குழந்தைகள் புதிய நண்பர்கள், புதிய விளையாட்டுகள், புதிய இடங்கள் இவற்றில் மகிழ்ச்சி காண்பார்கள். வயதான பிறகு நாம் இந்தப் பண்பை இழந்து விடுகிறோம்.
See also my posting in the thread Bharathiyar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back