• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Navaratna ring wearing position

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find food in India too rich and heavy.
One can not survive eating food daily at hotels..its too oily and fat laden.
Even the dosas and vadas are too greasy.

I ate mostly Thayir Sadam to make sure calorie intake was low.Thank God for Thayir Sadam cos at least that is light and good for the GI system.

Now I am back home..I am only taking 2 meals a day cos I need to give myself a break from eating.

........ One can not survive eating food daily at hotels..its too oily and fat laden.........
Dear Renu,

Not only in hotels; this is the condition in a few houses too! Shall give two examples:

1. My sister V R ji had a friend in Vizag who used to say that she needed 5 to 6 kg of oil for frying purpose, every month!

OMG, I thought! Then I was told that she makes bajji with the raw banana, cut lengthwise (!) and oil kept in the prestige

big sized pressure pan, to fit the bajjis.

2. Most of the times, I fry the appaLams cut into four so that it is easy to keep in the plate and we feel happy even if we eat

only two or three pieces. Once I was preparing for this and Ram's sister-in-law saw the oil, which was about 125 ml and asked
me if I was 'thAlichchufying'!! That s-i-l is supposed to be the best cook in our family! :faint:

Sowbagyavathy Raji Ram, Greetings.

Once I was saying a receipe over the phone to my brother.. when it came to oil requiremen, I said two to three table spoons... he said "We use that quanity to mixing chilli powder when eating idlis!', we need more oil!"... Oh, well what can we say?

Cheers!

I find food in India too rich and heavy.
One can not survive eating food daily at hotels..its too oily and fat laden.
Even the dosas and vadas are too greasy.

I ate mostly Thayir Sadam to make sure calorie intake was low.Thank God for Thayir Sadam cos at least that is light and good for the GI system.

Now I am back home..I am only taking 2 meals a day cos I need to give myself a break from eating.

Dear Renuka,

You could have asked for only vegetables. During our recent trip, we bought meals, but Padma opted only for vegetables... every hotel obliged and kept serving vegetables! Like kootu, poriyal and one keerai dish. Actually she didn't eat rice at all. By the way, vadai would be greasy... I didn't eat any vadai or any poori.. not even dosai often. It was really tough to select. I remember in one place ( supposedly a very nice restaurant) I felt like throwing up.. so much fat in their recipe!

Cheers!

Wow you guys are sooo strict and super health conscious, exactly like my parents! I call my mum a health freak, bless her! She can cook with just 2 spoons of oil...if she can have her own way perhaps with no oil even!.

I'm the total opposite. I use oil somewhat more liberally and uppu and kaaram too! Just the way I like it :). Thankfully I'm NOT too fond of sweets...

Last edited:
Wow you guys are sooo strict and super health conscious, exactly like my parents! I call my mum a health freak, bless her! She can cook with just 2 spoons of oil...if she can have her own way perhaps with no oil even!.

I'm the total opposite. I use oil somewhat more liberally and uppu and kaaram too! Just the way I like it :). Thankfully I'm too fond of sweets...

Sowbagyavathy Amala, Greetings.

No young lady, oil is no good for you. Plus it kills the taste of the food. If I have to be liberal like when I make biriyani, I use butter, not oil. If the biriyani comes out very well, then Padma may eat one or two table spoon.. that's it! no more. Actually thinking about giving up rice if not altogether, close to that level. Have you watched the video I posted in Chit Chat in the thread about "mitchocandria"? If you haven't, kindly watch that. That is a very good diet to follow. ( Of course, you don't have to worry about the fish and meat; but replace with lintels).

Cheers!

Your taste suits your busy schedule and Rajasic temperament! :)
You are a DOER and a GO-Getter, I am sure! :roll:

I'm the total opposite. I use oil somewhat more liberally and uppu and kaaram too! Just the way I like it :). Thankfully I'm too fond of sweets...

If you had quoted Why dis koleveriDI
you would have faced a two pronged attack. :ballchain: :whip:
You were wise enough to escape by the skin of your teeth.
By the way, how thick is the skin of your teeth??? :rolleyes:

hi
why dis kolaveri?....kind of cold war between sisters......lol

It is wise to eat like normal people normal food.

Living entirely on vegetable might make a person
allergic to rice and wheat in the long run!

By the way how many pounds has Mrs. Raghy lost and
how many days do you still have to make her shed off
the remaining recently-gained-pounds by Bangalore-style-food!

Dear Renuka,

You could have asked for only vegetables. During our recent trip, we bought meals, but Padma opted only for vegetables... every hotel obliged and kept serving vegetables! Like kootu, poriyal and one keerai dish. Actually she didn't eat rice at all. By the way, vadai would be greasy... I didn't eat any vadai or any poori.. not even dosai often. It was really tough to select. I remember in one place ( supposedly a very nice restaurant) I felt like throwing up.. so much fat in their recipe!

Cheers!

Those interested to KNOW whatever can be known about the nine gems,

their respective planets, the birthstones for each month etc

may please visit my blog "The Wonderful world we live in"

The subheading XVII added recently has all the info with the necessary

images in 18 articles.

You are :welcome: to make good use of the info!

The link is <visalakshiramani.wordpress.com>

It is wise to eat like normal people normal food.

Living entirely on vegetable might make a person
allergic to rice and wheat in the long run!

By the way how many pounds has Mrs. Raghy lost and
how many days do you still have to make her shed off
the remaining recently-gained-pounds by Bangalore-style-food!

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

Padma has not gained any pounds in the recent days/weeks. No, I am not checking wth a scale on daily basis though. Winter is almost over now. We started our walking sessions; about 50 minutes 3-4 times a week; selective diet only; still plenty vegetables cooked yummy; getting more 'keerai' varities.... but she was not happy though... bought a rowing set-up. Should be starting that soon. I have until middle of October for her to shed her weight.. We are doing few activities to burn the fat ...not that she has much of it anyways.. Thanks for asking! Kind of gives more motivation!

Cheers!

Sowbagyavathy Amala, Greetings.

No young lady, oil is no good for you. Plus it kills the taste of the food. If I have to be liberal like when I make biriyani, I use butter, not oil. If the biriyani comes out very well, then Padma may eat one or two table spoon.. that's it! no more. Actually thinking about giving up rice if not altogether, close to that level. Have you watched the video I posted in Chit Chat in the thread about "mitchocandria"? If you haven't, kindly watch that. That is a very good diet to follow. ( Of course, you don't have to worry about the fish and meat; but replace with lintels).

Cheers!

Thank you mama. I watched the video. MS is a very scary illness. I read somewhere sometime ago that its more prevalent in Western countries due to the fact its cold and away from the equator, or something along those lines.

Being vegetarian I do implement, albeit not consciously, the colourful veges, greens and fruits. Since I love vegetarian sushi, I also have the occassional seaweed.

Like Raji mami, even my mum breaks the appalams into 4 to fry instead of one huge one. But appalams in my home were the odd treat, mostly when relatives from India come.

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

Padma has not gained any pounds in the recent days/weeks. No, I am not checking wth a scale on daily basis though. Winter is almost over now. We started our walking sessions; about 50 minutes 3-4 times a week; selective diet only; still plenty vegetables cooked yummy; getting more 'keerai' varities.... but she was not happy though... bought a rowing set-up. Should be starting that soon. I have until middle of October for her to shed her weight.. We are doing few activities to burn the fat ...not that she has much of it anyways.. Thanks for asking! Kind of gives more motivation!

Cheers!

One Correction please...
SHE has until middle of October for YOU to shed HER weight!!! :rolleyes:
Won't it be very difficult to row when a person eats nothing but greens???
Green Revolution??? :fish2:

We get Appalam chips - oval shaped thin, long ones. They need very little oil when cut in the middle.
Can be stored in a very small container and DO NOT RUIN the OIL used for frying.
It is prepared ONLY when VIP guests arrive to our house. We prefer vegetables to fries and papads.

Thank you mama. I watched the video. MS is a very scary illness. I read somewhere sometime ago that its more prevalent in Western countries due to the fact its cold and away from the equator, or something along those lines.

Being vegetarian I do implement, albeit not consciously, the colourful veges, greens and fruits. Since I love vegetarian sushi, I also have the occassional seaweed.

Like Raji mami, even my mum breaks the appalams into 4 to fry instead of one huge one. But appalams in my home were the odd treat, mostly when relatives from India come.

I know Visa mami is gemini. But you too, mama?! Really surprising. Speaking of appalam chips, I loveee javvarisi vadams especially the colourful flower like ones and used to plead with my mum to buy it when we go ethnic grocery shopping. Sometimes she relents....it does take up soooo much oil though.

I know someone who actually eats these vadams just like crisps/chips. Not with rice but just for snacks. When she's bored she fries loads and eats it like eating Lays/walker chips!!

Oops better not divert the thread else Prasad Sir will get mad! I think he must have been a policeman in his past life! :D

One Correction please...
SHE has until middle of October for YOU to shed HER weight!!! :rolleyes:
Won't it be very difficult to row when a person eats nothing but greens???
Green Revolution??? :fish2:

Sowbagyavathy VR,

No. it is not hard. Since she is not very heavy, she can very easily pull and row her weight. I am only worried about her shoulder joints. not very sturdy. I may have to massage her shoulders on regular basis. Hope, everything would work out well..... Greens, vegetables and lintels are quite balanced diet. Matter of fact, rice, wheat and all the grains are inflammatory; really not suitable for our consumption! Corn is good as vegetable, not as grain! It's going to be hard for me. I said to her I have one pack already and have to wait for 3 more!... she said I have 1 tyre so far and doesn't want me to have anymore tyres.... Don't know....

Cheers!

I know Visa mami is gemini. But you too, mama?! Really surprising. Speaking of appalam chips, I loveee javvarisi vadams especially the colourful flower like ones and used to plead with my mum to buy it when we go ethnic grocery shopping. Sometimes she relents....it does take up soooo much oil though.

I know someone who actually eats these vadams just like crisps/chips. Not with rice but just for snacks. When she's bored she fries loads and eats it like eating Lays/walker chips!!

Sowbagyavathy Amala,

Yes, I am a Gemini. Chips are nothing but trouble. Our daughter and son would promptly buy them.. I stay away.. recently I bought very hot mixture from Indian grocery shop.. next thing I know, pockets after pockets coming in... Padma loved that stuff and put on weight. Now that stuff is banned! Try to fry appalam in microwave. about 30 seconds at the tops.. tastes bit less than fried, but still its good. At work all the girs learned that from me and cook appalam in mocrowave.. you should try that too. If you are desperate for chips, try to get 'oven baked'... that's lesser evil than that deep fried evil! We don't even go near javvarici vadam stuff.. our children don't even know that stuff!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back