• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

komanam / kaupeenam panchakacham brahmacharyam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, this thread has brought participation of all the three active veterans of "thAi kulam" of this forum :)
Not many other threads which were long as a HanumAr vAl or as brief as a KMN can boast of such achievement :)

I :love: Hanumaaniji.

He is natural kula deivam of all human beings - :angel:

whether they wish to accept it or not.

But I :bolt: when I see posts longer than a few lines!

What can't be said in a few lines...is not my cup of coffee or tea. :nono:

Dear Sangom Sir,

I think my son is the only guy who refused to wear a long sherwani for his wedding reception

saying that he will look like a comic character with a long body and tiny visible legs! :)

Smt. Raji,

I think the wedding sherwani nowadays reaches up to the ankles. So, the legs will not be visible.

Mrs. RR would be immensely pleased to find her Dear Sis following shuddath-tamizh even when englishfying and does remember to add ith, ikk, ichch etc.

"Do what you do ...do well darling!" is my motto. :)

(If I don't call myself darling who else will???) :rolleyes:

I don't like things and words hanging loose and unconnected.

Sandhi is beautiful in any language! :love:

I could not do it differently in Tamil and English. :decision:

If I do it, I may start typing wrong in Tamil.

I dont see any vulgarity in healthy discussions friends... However in internet , the komanam is not a traditional wear, its something different.
Nice to have your friendship.. thanks, let us continue our relationship friends always.. I just wear that cloth what Ms.Renuka and Mr.Sangom shared, would like to hear from you, i could not wear that tight fitted komanam tradition. free wheeling is required friend_truth18atyahoodotcom,
karthik

Dear Iyya sir,

You really scare me now! Guys will start discussing whether Lord Shiva / Lord Vishnu wore a 'KMN' or not!

One more thought! Luckily the three strands only represent vEshti, angu and kaipidi thuNi. If the kaipidi thuNi

was replaced by 'KMN', what would have happened! :fear:

Note: 'KMN' is the short form for kOmaNam! :)
You sound right. But the vaadhyars who told these, forgot the KMN or ignored it. I have no idea nor would it interest me to know.

It was explained by some that each 3 strands of poonal represented the futuristic vEshti, angavastram and kaippidi thuNi. When these came into use, the poonal was not discarded because the old people wore them. If that was so, pyjama/jippa or pant and shirt should serve the purpose with tie or without. But you cannot wear panchakachcham under the pant&shirt or over them. Similarly male "brief" serves the purpose of komanam, and if you want to continue the old practice of wearing a komanam too (because the great people wore in the past), you can put on the brief over komanam. Lord Shiva sported only tiger skin with or without komanam because that was only visualised in those days. But Lord Vishnu is portrayed wearing a modern dress (compared to Shiva's period) which became available later. See in the process, we forget the gods, but would like to match his fashion which again gods have been forced to sport. Thus god becomes secondary to the primary fashion! When will we graduate?

Dear Shri Iyya,

Actually, the three strands of the poonal are supposed to represent the iDA, pingaLA and sushumnA nADees, thus giving the wearer a constant reminder to control both his rAjasic and tAmasic natures. The second poonal at the time of marriage is a sort of symbol by which the husband accepts the participation and benefits of all the vaideeki yajnas which he does, to his wife also half-half. The third poonal worn after seemantham (actually it should be worn only after the birth of son) promotes the man to the full stature of a vaideeki brahmin and it is this third poonal which takes the place of "angavastraM" because such a second cloth for the upper half of the torso is a must for performing any vaideeka karma and without that all those karmas go completely waste.

what is the cloth material for komanam, length of the komanam & width of komanam ? colour, I heard that white ?

Dear Kartik,

You should check out some internet sites..about Kaupeenam..I stumbled upon a Kaupeenam Forum where one guys wrote detail stuff about how his Mother In Law makes his Kaupeenam from her old cotton sarees!LOL

I was wondering what the hell??

Then one senior guy in that forum replies that one should only use white cloth cos old sarees will be colorful but this guy still defends himself saying that his MIL says that old cotton sarees cloth is softer.

So Karthik..there is a whole Kaupeenam world out there online..try Google Search!LOL

Nice Ms.Renuka again for your reply, a small..

Dear Ms.Renuka,

Nice to see your mails. I am graced to have your friendship.

I googled all, but i think those are just imaginations of certain guys..

very artificial, i could feel.

Please do not follow those forums. However , traditional komanam material, wearing procedure should be learned.

I just wore a white komanam, but not comfortable yet, back & front how it should be , material cloth thickness are the confusing. My personal email : [email protected], if anything could be shared by my friends i will be happy.
Very happy to have your friendship, nice and thanks Ms.Renuka.
Mr.Sangom is also thanked ..

Dear Kartik,

You should check out some internet sites..about Kaupeenam..I stumbled upon a Kaupeenam Forum where one guys wrote detail stuff about how his Mother In Law makes his Kaupeenam from her old cotton sarees!LOL

Then one senior guy in that forum replies that one should only use white cloth cos old sarees will be colorful but this guy still defends himself saying that his MIL says that old cotton sarees cloth is softer.

So Karthik..there is a whole Kaupeenam world out there online..try Google Search!LOL

Dear Kartik,

I know that the KomaN will be under the person's dress

and not over it like the the brief worn by Superman!!! :)

dear RENU! You are talking of a soft cloth in a hardware shop !!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back