• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is the caste system weakness of Hinduism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri.Sangom,
I feel there is a clear distinction between getting a progeny through illegal relationship and the mixing of BLOOD therapy.In the first case the Society or even the progeny or his/her successors may not come to know,while in the second case,it is open and the society & heirs will know the facts.
To cite an example we all know that Mr.Maran had married a Brahmin Lady.

Folks,
When Professor Nara Ji asked me to keep this thread open, I obliged.

But there comes a time when we should say that continuing discussions in a particular vein becomes repetitive and does not contribute to the welfare of the Forum.

We are at that stage here, regarding the issue we have been discussing for a while.

I am quite sad, because long standing members of this Forum are unwilling or unable to see other povs, but take those to be 'attacks' on their personal self.

Professor Nara Ji, who I admire in many ways, just posted something and says that he does not see anything to come of it, blaming hypocrisy on the part of others. It has come to this. Either agree with my views or you are a hypocrite.

I clearly explained what kind of sarcasm is not permitted, yet, it is as though the Professor did not read it.

Given all this, let me ask the members, not to post any further arguments regarding the RP Ji - Kunjuppu Ji incident any more.

Let us, instead continue on discussions as per the thread topic, as expressed by Sri Vivek Ji.

Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

......It is, however, a surprise to me that you chose an argument like this to come to the defence of your friend and attack the rest of the members of this forum! .
Folks, I am glad I have a friend in K, but that has no relevance here.

I am attacking nobody in this forum, except those who on the one hand point out that the tarpana matras TBs recite twice a month call into question, punctiliously, as was editorially pointed out, the morals of one's own mother, and on the other seizes on a clear misunderstanding of a thoughtful comment, pointing out the irrefutable fact that none of us can be sure of Brahmin purity, to caste the lowest of aspersions upon a decent member of this forum.

Either agree with my views or you are a hypocrite.

[....]

I clearly explained what kind of sarcasm is not permitted, yet, it is as though the Professor did not read it.

[...]

Given all this, let me ask the members, not to post any further arguments regarding the RP Ji - Kunjuppu Ji incident any more.
Dear Shri KRS, when you write in red ink, I am at a disadvantage.

What Sangom wrote was hypocritical not because he did not agree with me, I have had many people disagree with me, most of all, you. I have never called you a hypocrite.

You did say what sarcasm was permitted, but your description was so vague all I could understand was that you as the super moderator get to decide what is, and what is not permitted sarcasm.

Treatment meted out to Kunjuppu is the only topic I am inetersted in participating right now. Ban me if you have to, but I would like to continue to discuss it in as civil and reasonable manner as I can.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sri KRS,

I think we have discussed enough on this subject for more than a year and the discussions have gone far away from the main thread. It is time that we should give a break and take up the subject after some time if need be.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Professor Nara Ji,

I am not writing in 'red'.

Yes, you have never called me a 'hypocrite' before; and you are correct - our views are poles apart.

But I did take your comments about not taking offense on your perceived attack on Sri Kunjuppu Ji to include myself as I also bear the responsibility for moderation here.

To tell you the truth, I am quite surprised by Sri Kunjuppu Ji's decision to quit on the grounds he said he was, because, I think that it is not at all a valid reason, from my pov.

I am not at all interested in 'banning' you - I think you bring a very important perspective to the Forum - what all I request is that you consider the perspectives others bring as well, regardless of the merit of such povs in your view.

My plea to not continue the current discussions was only that - a plea, in the interest of the Forum. If you want to go ahead and continue, please do so.

Again, sarcasm that diminishes another person and ridicules is the one that is not permitted. As you might have noticed, I did not edit out your comments on Sri RP Ji to Sri Kunjuppu Ji. And that was sarcasm, albeit on a border line. If it was made by a newcomer, that would have been edited out. But because, you are a veteran and I know you, I gave you the benefit of doubt.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shri KRS, when you write in red ink, I am at a disadvantage.

What Sangom wrote was hypocritical not because he did not agree with me, I have had many people disagree with me, most of all, you. I have never called you a hypocrite.

You did say what sarcasm was permitted, but your description was so vague all I could understand was that you as the super moderator get to decide what is, and what is not permitted sarcasm.

Treatment meted out to Kunjuppu is the only topic I am inetersted in participating right now. Ban me if you have to, but I would like to continue to discuss it in as civil and reasonable manner as I can.

Cheers!

folks,
we have a debated/discussed a lot about caste system in hinduism......its better to close the thread now....other wise many new topics

come out instead of IS THE CASTE SYSTEM WEAKNESS OF HINDUISM....it is caste weakness or not ...but our hypocratical/ego thinking

is the WEAKNESS OF HINDUISM..... i think so....

regards
tbs

Dear Professor Nara Ji,

In the interest of responding to your query, and your wish of 'not attacking' anyone, let me respond. Let you and I discuss this matter - I DO NOT WANT OTHERS INTERVENING HERE - IF THEY DO, I WILL DELETE THEIR RESPONSES. This way, we can put this matter behind us.

Saying that our religious practices have certain meanings/import that we do not understand is one thing - but to take it to ratify someone's statement that clearly has hurt someone else's belief (as held by that person) is something else. One has no connection to the other.

Actually, to me this exposes a sort of 'block thinking' on your part. Just because one is an atheist for example, one should not be termed as a 'hypocrite', if one supports a person's freedom and choice to not be an atheist. This is what you are implying: You said that our scriptures contain mantras/sayings that question our lineage and so when one questions the lineage of a TamBrahm, then how can you question that? This argument has one big fallacy. Sri RP Ji is a human being, he probably does not know the mantra and even if he did, he perhaps did not associate that with his lineage. I am surprised that as a logical person, you have chosen this type of reasoning to call others here as 'hypocrites'.

Please respond.

Regards,
KRS
Folks, I am glad I have a friend in K, but that has no relevance here.

I am attacking nobody in this forum, except those who on the one hand point out that the tarpana matras TBs recite twice a month call into question, punctiliously, as was editorially pointed out, the morals of one's own mother, and on the other seizes on a clear misunderstanding of a thoughtful comment, pointing out the irrefutable fact that none of us can be sure of Brahmin purity, to caste the lowest of aspersions upon a decent member of this forum.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan sir,

Yes, I understand your sentiment and others' who have written PMs to me as well, regarding this.

But we still have unfinished business here, as requested by Professor Nara Ji. We do not want any of our long standing members to think that we are not being fair to them.

We can discuss this in a civil way - between myself and Professor Nara Ji. We will then put this whole episode behind us. I trust that Professor Nara Ji will not act against the interests of this Forum.

In the mean time, please bear with us.

Regards,
KRS
Dear Sri KRS,

I think we have discussed enough on this subject for more than a year and the discussions have gone far away from the main thread. It is time that we should give a break and take up the subject after some time if need be.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shri Swami,

iF you see Sri B KrishnaMurthy's origial post regarding this, what he has stated is this:

Brahmins after taking Bath in river 'KOLLIDAM' and returning home used to shout"THEENDATHEY" in tamil and all women labour folk working in the fields will go a distance till the Brahmins leave

in post # 975.He is no where talking about personal madi, Theetu, Rituals in temple etc.

Personal Madi and Theetu are indiviual choices and the homam,rituals are based on scriptures.But his experience is while using public places like roads.

Hope this clarifies.If you still disagree with with Mr BK, that is your right to do so.

We will agree that we disagree :)

Regards
Revathi

Madam,
I wish you had read my posts carefully, try to get the import and if in doubt sought clarifications.

I have some first hand experience of the Cauvery delta region having lived there in the recent past and a fair idea of the progression of mindset amongst the people therein.

Rgds.,
Swami

Capitals and colors are used for emphasis. I think, given a context, it can also be construed as 'shouting'.

The general guideline is that they should be used minimally. Also color 'red' is reserved for Moderation.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
KRS
Dear Shri Krishnamurthy,

I stand corrected. It now looks as if we can only use italics or some other colour for highlighting. But there are members here who insist on posting entirely in bold fonts. Hope Shri KRS will give his ruling in this matter.

Dear Shri KRS,
I don't have a major quarrel with you on this matter. We have a disagreement and I can live with that. Nevertheless, I will try to give answers to at least some of your criticisms.

.... what all I request is that you consider the perspectives others bring as well, regardless of the merit of such povs in your view.
I don't understand what prompts you to make this request, when have I resisted considering perspectives that I don't agree with? I reject the premise of this comment.

My plea to not continue the current discussions was only that - a plea, in the interest of the Forum. If you want to go ahead and continue, please do so.
Noted...

Again, sarcasm that diminishes another person and ridicules is the one that is not permitted. As you might have noticed, I did not edit out your comments on Sri RP Ji to Sri Kunjuppu Ji. And that was sarcasm, albeit on a border line. If it was made by a newcomer, that would have been edited out. But because, you are a veteran and I know you, I gave you the benefit of doubt.
What kind of sarcasm diminishes a person and what does not, is hard to define, and, no surprise, your definition is very vague too. Here is what I said in my post you are referring to:
Wow K, you got him really really angry. What can one do if you get shouted down like this? You have to admit K, he has stronger lungs than you do, and less shame.

Take care my dear friend, let your god bless you and your family, Jai Canada!
Except the last "Jai Canada!" there is nothing sarcastic here. Only when RP started shouting and abusing K with "don't be a racist" and "God will punish you" I tried to show some support to K. I see no obligation to direct my comments to RP.

At that point RP was all riled up, shouting and was calling K names without any shame. So, my comments accurately and literally defined what K was facing, there was no sarcasm at all. But you saw sarcasm, albeit right up there on the border line, needing benefit of doubt to give it a pass. Since you are a moderator and you get to make the call, for all practical purposes, sarcasm is denied to me as a tool of rhetoric. With only a vague description of what is permitted and what is not, might as well ban it, and let irony be banned as well. In the case of irony, not many here will notice it anyway -- how is that for some real sarcasm!!!

I DO NOT WANT OTHERS INTERVENING HERE - IF THEY DO, I WILL DELETE THEIR RESPONSES. This way, we can put this matter behind us.
You are straddling the line between being a moderator and a member. What if I want anyone to jump in? The reason I am saying this is not because I want to be difficult, but to point out that in this discussion between the two of us, the playing field simply cannot be level. But, I will take it, whatever the field may be.

Saying that our religious practices have certain meanings/import that we do not understand is one thing -

[...]

I am surprised that as a logical person, you have chosen this type of reasoning to call others here as 'hypocrites'.
Shri Sangom wrote about this Tarpana mantra that lets the karta say a mantra that implies he cannot be sure of the morals of his own mother. This was on November 9th. The excuse of not understanding the meaning of this mantra fell by the way side on that date.

Contrast this with what K said:
beyond your grandparents, none of us (emphasis mine) are even sure of our parentage. we do not have any written log of who married who and where. were our ancestral women the prize booty of conquerors, do we know? why are so many tambrams so fair skinned, and others dark as charcoal?
K was only asking questions about all of us, not a specific person. Beyond our grandparents, how many of us are sure of our parentage, i.e. ancestral descent -- by which the morals of nobody is questioned, only that some of our ancestors may not have been brahmin, either by icm or mass conversion. He was pointing to the fact that we have all kinds of skin tones among TB to drive home this point, namely, any claim of varna purity is a myth.

How RP responded is now well known and that really does not bother me much. What bothers me much, very much, is the way Shri Sangom responded and others followed behind him. Barely a month ago he was commenting on the tarpana mantra that questioned the very morality of one's own mother. Shri Sangom took pains to show how precise these mantras are. A month later he was leading the support brigade for RP arguing that RP had every reason to take K's comments as equal to questioning RP's parentage. If this is not hypocrisy, we might as well get rid of that word from our vocabulary.

As for others, in this very thread Shri Sangom repeated his earlier comments on Tarpana mantra. Here is what he said:
Apart from the above, our smṛti kartas were rather ultra realistic and provided for the contingency of the 'apparent' pitṛ not being the actual, de facto, pitṛ, due to unfaithfulness of the women. Kindly see post Pithru tharpanam.
All K did was to raise questions about varna purity of TB, and many here felt, and expressed as much, that the wrath he was subjected to was well deserved. Now, Shri Sangom has reminded of this Tarpana mantra, this time in this therad itself. From Shri Sangom's explanation it is clear that it is this vedic Tarpana mantra that is actually questioning the parentage of all TBs, in a much more odious and personal terms. I am sure those who missed the first post are acutely familiar with this now. So, I wonder, why are they not saying they were wrong to say RP was justified to abuse K for saying something that was along the same lines, but nowhere near as offensive as this mantra?

Shri Sangom says this tarpana mantra "provided for the contingency" that one's mother may have slept with someone other than one's father. K was not talking about anything so "ultra realistic", all he was suggesting was some very realistic possibility, a way of providing for the contingency that some of our ancestors may not have been brahmin. Active support for RP then, and not a peep now, is hypocrisy, though not an active kind, but a passive one, more an error of omission than commission. That is all I pointed out.

Many here know of K much before I joined the forum. So, I am sure you know, just as much as I do, that K is not a racist, K is not a castiest, K did not deserve to be punished by the god in whom he has faith. Yet, he was subjected to this tirade, not many came to his defense, some actively supported the aggressor. This is a travesty.

What do I want, I don't know, I can say like a child, I want K back. But too much water has flown under the bridge for me to be optimistic about that possibility. But, at least an attempt could be made. Praveen and sf could try to persuade him to come back.

Cheers!

My opinion on this is, "Varnashrama and its Dharma" are to be followed. Now a days in Kaliyuga, it is difficult to follow Varnashrama Dharma. Todays situation is that any one can follow any job. Coming to Caste, people lived in groups in old age and the groups became the name of Caste. The name Brahmin, Kshatriya etc. are not castes and only Varnashrama.

Varnashrama Dharma is to be followed. When this cannot be followed, it is better to remove Caste system. But, the practices of Ancestors of each group to be followed. This is because, i think atleast Brahmins of today, follow the principles to certain extent. This should not be corrupted by removing caste system.

Brahman is God. One who has knowledge of Brahman through Vedas or any other means and lives with discipline as prescribed in Varnashrama Dharma is called Brahman. It is a common term and any one can be a Brahman. Please try to understand that Brahmins is not a Caste but a term derived from one's practices as per Dharma.

Respected Members,

I came across the undernoted postings in this very same forum, under the thread "For The Kind Attention Of Mr. Silverfox & Others Living In the U.S.A"

16-08-2006 08:14 PM #3

KAUNDINYA

Please read the following:

Christian Aggression

NEWS
Goa's company : Center for converting Hindus

Christian missionaries kidnapping Hindu devotees

Conversions will not be tolerated in Tirupati

BJP says Sonia encouraging conversions to Christianity

Story of Sanal Edamaruku, President, Rationalist International

Proselytisation FIR needs no sanction

Afghans Rally Against Korean ‘Proselytes’

BJP demands inquiry into Tirupati 'conversion' incidents

Fanatic sister tortures Hindu students

Conversion bid ends in murder attempt

Missionaries are corrupting the Young and Innocent Minds

Ram Sena protests against propagation of Christianity

More News Headlines...

A Pluralist’s encounter with a Missionary

Posted August 15, 2006

Kalavai Venkat
July 2006
The Hindu Renaissance
Source Link

Once, a Southern Baptist missionary was my co-passenger in a flight. Like every missionary out to seek a convert, he was pleasant. After learning that I am a Hindu he asked, “Is the caste system going away in India?” I quipped “Why should it go away?” He was surprised by my response and remarked, “You are the first Hindu who responded this way. Most Hindus agree that caste must go away and say that it is slowly going away.”

I decided to turn the tables on him. I asked him, “What language do the African Americans speak?” He replied, “English.” I asked, “What did their ancestors speak 500 years ago?” He began to contemplate. I thought that I might have to wait for eternity like the Christians have waited for the second coming of their messiah before the missionary would answer, so I prompted him, “Swahili? Hausa?” He agreed, “Yes.” I asked, “Do the African Americans worship the animist deities of their ancestors? Do they wed and bury per their ancestral customs?” The missionary replied, “No.”

I said that one could replace African Americans with any immigrant group: The Dutch, the Germans, the French or the Latinos. I added, “What you proudly advertise as the melting pot actually imposed the language, culture, religion and customs of the dominant ethnic group on all others. On the other hand, visit even a small village in India with just 300 families. The chances are that this population would be made up of 10 different castes and each of them retains its distinct religious, wedding, funerary, culinary and dialectic features. This is because, as a truly pluralistic society, the Hindu India allowed each ethnic group, regardless of how numerically small it was, to retain its identity.”

“So,” I added, “Caste is a result of this spirit of freedom and pluralism. It is something to be proud of. On the other hand, the so-called melting pot is actually a result of cultural, and often physical, extermination of diverse identities by one intolerant and powerful group.”

I continued to pontificate: “Like every other man made institution, caste too has been misused. Then, so has been every other man made institution like democracy or secularism. It was a democratically elected Hitler who exterminated 6 million Jews, Gypsies and mentally retarded patients. It was a democratically elected Jefferson who fixed the worth of every African American child at $ 22.50 and proposed to forcibly snatch them away from their parents and ship them back to Africa after ensuring that the adult African American population does not procreate any further. It was a democratically elected Roosevelt who declared that the extermination at the hands of the Whites was the best thing that happened to the Native Americans. Stalin and Mao were secular but they mercilessly sent millions to death camps.”

I asked him, “Is anyone demanding that democracy or secularism be abandoned because of a Jefferson, Roosevelt, Hitler, Stalin or Mao? Why should caste be abandoned just because it was misused? Hindus have systematically addressed caste inequities over the last 80 years or so. If we assume that we rid our society of all discriminations in the next 30 years, members of every caste, be it Brahmin, Kayastha, Maratha or Paraiyah could proudly say that they follow the millennia old religion, customs and dialects of their forefathers. Suppose the Christian West similarly resolves racial discriminations, could an African American, Dutch American or Latino make similar assertion?”

I pointed out that in the casteless Christian West, the minorities have been forced to abandon their identities and instead have been made to imitate the dominant group in every aspect of life such as religion, language, wedding and funeral customs. I cited the words of Nathan Katz and pointed out how Hindu pluralism, of which caste is an integral part, actually preserved minority customs. Katz, while discussing how the Jewish people flourished for centuries amidst the Hindus, writes:

"A crucial distinction between India and the rest of the Diaspora, however, is that in India acculturation is not paid for in the currency of assimilation. By acculturation I mean fitting comfortably into a society while retaining one's own identity, whereas by assimilation I mean that the loss of that identity is a perceived condition for acceptance. The study of Indian Jewish communities demonstrates that in Indian culture an immigrant group gains status precisely by maintaining its own identity. Such is the experience not only of India's Jews, but also of local Christians, Zoroastrians, and recently, Tibetan Buddhists. This striking feature of Indian civilization is reflected by each of these immigrant groups.

Now let us forget the Southern Baptist missionary and ask the Hindus: Would this preservation have been possible without the spirit of pluralism, which was ensured by the caste system? Are the Hindus going to repeat the missionary propaganda and deny the strengths of their own civilization or are they going to understand the institution of caste dispassionately? The missionary and the imperialist know that the institution of caste must be obliterated if the Hindu society were to be weakened and converted. A Hindu should critically analyze his traditions instead of uncritically absorbing propaganda

Last edited by KAUNDINYA; 16-08-2006 at 08:18 PM.

To the above post a reply was given as under:

22-08-2006 10:43 PM #5
Chintana

This is a very thought-provoking article. Thanks for posting it Kaundinya.

The idea that caste need not be abandoned simply because it has been misused is very compelling. Caste, on the positive side, is a source of identity and propagates a philosophy of live and let live. (underlining mine)

I think nothing much has changed in India to warrant, today four and a half years later, a conclusion different from that of Sow. Chintana.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji (not Srimathi) was a brilliant moderator of this Forum, and I think still reads the posts here.

She is a young lady, with a doctorate now, and I don't know where she lives nowadays - last I knew, she was in Chicago.

Regards,
KRS

Respected Members,

This is a very thought-provoking article. Thanks for posting it Kaundinya.

The idea that caste need not be abandoned simply because it has been misused is very compelling. Caste, on the positive side, is a source of identity and propagates a philosophy of live and let live. (underlining mine)

I think nothing much has changed in India to warrant, today four and a half years later, a conclusion different from that of Smt. Chintana.

Dear Sri. Sangom and every viewer,

The problem is that we still are not habituated to think independently (probably due to long periods of foreign rule)-- looking for validation from the precepts of west particularly on egalitarianism and democracy; looking apologetic every time some allegation is flung. Media has fully been co-opted.

China and Singapore resist many of the western notions, the reason why western world is after them.

With regards,
Swami

Shri Sangom says this tarpana mantra "provided for the contingency" that one's mother may have slept with someone other than one's father. K was not talking about anything so "ultra realistic", all he was suggesting was some very realistic possibility, a way of providing for the contingency that some of our ancestors may not have been brahmin. Active support for RP then, and not a peep now, is hypocrisy, though not an active kind, but a passive one, more an error of omission than commission. That is all I pointed out.

Many here know of K much before I joined the forum. So, I am sure you know, just as much as I do, that K is not a racist, K is not a castiest, K did not deserve to be punished by the god in whom he has faith. Yet, he was subjected to this tirade, not many came to his defense, some actively supported the aggressor. This is a travesty.
Me too am surprised that Shri Sangom did not get cursed by RP (for writing something that wud cast doubt on the puritanical basis for lineage). Yet when Shri Kunjuppu expressed something similar he got cursed and put down.

Anyone can read for themselves verses from vedas to see how women were treated by warring tribes during vedic times itself. It is no wonder that such 'contingencies' exist in mantras. And this ofcourse is irrespective of caste.

What do I want, I don't know, I can say like a child, I want K back. But too much water has flown under the bridge for me to be optimistic about that possibility. But, at least an attempt could be made. Praveen and sf could try to persuade him to come back.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Last edited:
Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. If you wish to have an one-on-one conversation with Sri.Nara, I humbly request you to consider conducting it in PM, please. Asking others not to partcipate is not quite democratic. More over, such restrictions (let us say, I did not read the note about deleting the messages) would restrict any member wishing to post a message in support of Sri. Nara's feelings.

Sri. Nara did not attack anybody. In that discussion in question, he only wrote couple of messages which can be and should be taken with a bit of sense of humour. I don't know about others, I read those messages with a smile. (At that time, i posted just one message to ease the situation explaining the way I saw Sri.Kunjuppu's comments). It is not very fair to say Sri. Nara was sarcastic or attacking anybody's opinions. (Even 'Jai Canada' can be taken with a positive humour. Shouldn't one say 'jai' to Canada?)

Sri. Nara has all the right to get upset about the events that lead for Sri.Kunjuppu's departure. If he is willing to show his thoughts WRT to some of the messages, he should have the freedom to express them. In my opinion, any member who wishes to write in support of Sri.Nara's views also should have the freedom to do so.

I humbly request you to reconsider your position (WRT to post #1009), please. I also request you to kindly keep the situation under control by close monitoring, please. (In that situation either you may not take part in the discussion or you may not take part in the moderation. Your attempt to moderate while discussing does not sound quite right).

Cheers!

@Sangom (1)

"we are scrutinized"

What I meant by this is, traditionally we are the top of the Indian society, so any loss is ultimately attributed to us by everyone - as our doing, rightly or wrongly.

Ask yourself frankly if the answer to all these questions (if you ask it country wide) will be this:

1. Who started the caste system? - Brahmins.

2. Why? - To stay on top and keep everyone under them.

3. Who is responsible for caste system continuing? - Brahmins

4. Who benefitted from caste system? - Brahmins.

Not all communities or people have a negative idea of brahmins, but a great number do because they see the idea of caste system as a brahmin-orignated one. This is why the anti-brahmin movement in TN was a hit. That is why we should fight this now in order to not only give people equal opportunity, but to absolve the name of our community.

"Whom are you referring to and on what basis you conclude that they have had (i.e., in the past) a more egalitarian approach? How can there be egalitarian approach in proselytization? Not clear to me."

There is casteism in all religions in India. But proselytism works by attacking casteism within Hinduism. Christian missionaries for example, convert low castes. The low castes convert so that they won't be considered a lower caste. Truth of course is casteism exists in India, among Muslims and Christians also. But, it is seen as a Hindu brahmin-originated one, which is why it comes to our place to fight and destroy it. DMK praises Christianity, Islam too have you seen? Everyone see these religions are those of freedom, where God sees everyone as same; but Hinduism and the brahmins are tainted with the image of casteism. Don't take this the wrong way, I frankly reveal to you the way the world looks at us.

Don’t you think that this contradicts the existence of the caste system from ancient times? When do you say India ‘has always been’ secular?

All sorts of philosophies have come in India. And in ancient India the very meaning of the word brahmin was different. Brahmins have fought against casteism too, just that it isn't revealed that way because people like to believe in the four questions (numbered in bold) above. That is the sad part in all of this is - that every struggle for treating people equal (example Buddhism) has been presented to us today like it was a struggle against brahmins and as if brahmins were the evil opposing against equality.

Further, when leaders like Shankaracharya speak like its okay, which I saw from a video on untouchability, the country takes it that as a community we are supporters and perpetrators of untouchability and casteism. But numerous brahmins fought against casteism (Basva Swami, Subramanium Bharathiar) and even spread buddhism (Padmasambhava, Nagarjuna Bodhidharma etc.) in the past. But these aren't remembered because of present day leaders. This is why we need to oppose casteism strongly TODAY and make it our very tradition.

I can sense your inhibition to comment on Shankaracharya, but I don't think he defines what it means to be brahmin. Our aim should be as seekers and spreaders of knowledge. We must discriminate in spreading knowledge only on the basis of virtue, not birth or anything.

Regards,
Vivek.

On the Caste Identity

"Caste, on the positive side, is a source of identity and propagates a philosophy of live and let live."

Yes, but we need to define castes by actual virtue. This is how it had been originally described, hasn't it? Why is it then today based on mere birth? Every person irrespective of where they were born from should be given opportunity to find their caste - which will be decided by their capailities. There is no "Let live" when in villages, lower castes are dependant on upper castes and not even treated with respect or as humans.

Answering the Three questions of Sangom

"1. Whether Brahmins today practice untouchability and casteist actions/attitudes towards others?"

I haven't visited south India temples. My parents who had been to our ancestral place in Chitilamchery some months ago saw a newly wed couple getting blessing by priest from outside. Does this really respect the couple? Does a low caste after bath also remain dirtier than an unclean brahmin? Why should they take blessings like this? Further, such things give advantage to Christian missionaries and other proselytiers to demonize brahmins and get people converted. Thus, the message the brahmin community gives today should be something enlightening which will make people feel better and give us true respect. City brahmins don't practice all this but rural areas is still bad - more in north India.

"2. Is there anything to be reformed as regards the way Brahmins treat other people at present? If so, what steps are needed "

The way brahmins treat others has changed greatly for the better but people's acknowledgement of it has not come. Its like you are a good person, but people still consider you casteist, evil, disciminator merely because you are a brahmin. But why do people think that way? Because we are stereotyped that way. We are stereotyped that way because we followed it as a community in some way, and in villages brahmins still do! Even though other upper castes also do this, the practice is seen as originating from brahmins because we are on top of the caste heirarchy. Do you see where this is getting? This is precisely the reason we should not only oppose casteism from our personal lives, but as brahmins start a movement against it.

"3. How should we, the Brahmins ‘define ourselves’? Obviously we cannot define others for themselves, it is for those people to do that. "

The way we need to define ourself goes in no contradiction of how brahmins had defined themselves earlier - as a community that pursues knowledge - spiritual and otherwise. More importantly, we should spread knowledge to all, discriminating not by birth but by virtue and discipline. This way, we give education and chance to others irrespective of birth. Our community has traditionally been greatly respected in society for all its customs like learning, discipline, cleanliness. We should have these, but also give others a chance be recognized and respected for being thus. This way we spread the good influence at the same time earn actual respect.

Presently, brahmins are seen as those who hide their knowledge from others, who want a position of respect by treating others lowly. Just ask why DK's and DMK's anti-brahmin movement was/is so strong. Because of all this I mentioned.

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
@Sangom (1)

"we are scrutinized"

What I meant by this is, traditionally we are the top of the Indian society, so any loss is ultimately attributed to us by everyone - as our doing, rightly or wrongly.

Ask yourself frankly if the answer to all these questions (if you ask it country wide) will be this:

1. Who started the caste system? - Brahmins.

2. Why? - To stay on top and keep everyone under them.

3. Who is responsible for caste system continuing? - Brahmins

4. Who benefitted from caste system? - Brahmins.

Not all communities or people have a negative idea of brahmins, but a great number do because they see the idea of caste system as a brahmin-orignated one. This is why the anti-brahmin movement in TN was a hit. That is why we should fight this now in order to not only give people equal opportunity, but to absolve the name of our community.

Shri Vivek,

It may be that the answer for your question No.1 will be as you say. But I very much doubt whether the answers for the reamaining questions will be what you give, country-wide. I say so because I now live In Kerala where I was born and brought up, have lived in U.P., Assam and in these three places - to the extent my knowledge goes - there is no anti-brahmin feeling. In each state there are some social tensions but, generally speaking, I think the whole of North India got out of any vestige of brahmin superiority by the time the Moghul rule (particularly that of Aurangzeb) was over.

In the south, and especially, TN, the situation might have been very different (I have no first hand experience) and all that happened there cannot be extended to the whole country, IMHO.

"Whom are you referring to and on what basis you conclude that they have had (i.e., in the past) a more egalitarian approach? How can there be egalitarian approach in proselytization? Not clear to me."
There is casteism in all religions in India. But proselytism works by attacking casteism within Hinduism. Christian missionaries for example, convert low castes. The low castes convert so that they won't be considered a lower caste. Truth of course is casteism exists in India, among Muslims and Christians also. But, it is seen as a Hindu brahmin-originated one, which is why it comes to our place to fight and destroy it. DMK praises Christianity, Islam too have you seen? Everyone see these religions are those of freedom, where God sees everyone as same; but Hinduism and the brahmins are tainted with the image of casteism. Don't take this the wrong way, I frankly reveal to you the way the world looks at us.
The low castes and Dalits converted (or were proselytized by lure, either way) but gradually they sensed the caste discrimination in the religions to which they converted. They were putting up with that till the Independence and much later, but, slowly, there is growing resentment there also. But both Christianity and Islam are very different from Hinduism and hence it is very difficult for dissidence to express itself and make any impact. I also do not think that the people inside India and outsiders who are knowledgeable about the social set up here are unaware of the above facts. For the rest of the foreigners, the entire country may be a strange place.

That the world looks at Hinduism and brahmins as some perpetrators of atrocities is a rather unrealistic view. If you are taking the obsession in this forum with caste and brahminism, it is true, perhaps. But I think there is some sort of undue importance being given to this topic in this forum with the result that we ourselves, the members of the forum, might be providing the impression to others that we, tambrams, are living with a guilt complex and that, therefore, we are the only villains in the whole matter. My humble opinion is that we should desist from this continuous rumination - carvita carvaṇam, in Sanskrit - and get on to look to what we can do for our community.

Don’t you think that this contradicts the existence of the caste system from ancient times? When do you say India ‘has always been’ secular?
All sorts of philosophies have come in India. And in ancient India the very meaning of the word brahmin was different. Brahmins have fought against casteism too, just that it isn't revealed that way because people like to believe in the four questions (numbered in bold) above. That is the sad part in all of this is - that every struggle for treating people equal (example Buddhism) has been presented to us today like it was a struggle against brahmins and as if brahmins were the evil opposing against equality.

Further, when leaders like Shankaracharya speak like its okay, which I saw from a video on untouchability, the country takes it that as a community we are supporters and perpetrators of untouchability and casteism. But numerous brahmins fought against casteism (Basva Swami, Subramanium Bharathiar) and even spread buddhism (Padmasambhava, Nagarjuna Bodhidharma etc.) in the past. But these aren't remembered because of present day leaders. This is why we need to oppose casteism strongly TODAY and make it our very tradition.

I can sense your inhibition to comment on Shankaracharya, but I don't think he defines what it means to be brahmin. Our aim should be as seekers and spreaders of knowledge. We must discriminate in spreading knowledge only on the basis of virtue, not birth or anything.

Regards,
Vivek.
My doubt was about your statement that India has always been a secular society. The very few instances like Basva Swami, Subramanium Bharathiar, (but about Padmasambhava, Nagarjuna and Bodhidharma, I don't know to what extent they laid emphasis on secularism - frankly, I don't know.) we cannot say confidently that India had always stood for its secular credentials.

Buddha revolted against the sacrificial excesses of the then priestly class (brahmins) but the buddhist lore mentions brahmins engaged in agriculture and other activities also, I think. Buddha, of course, did not recognise castes and I don't think there is any scholarly opinion that Buddha's revolt was against caste system as such, but it is reckoned as a revolt against the sacrificial cult, the people encouraging it and its source-book, viz., the vedas.

I have neither any special preference for any Acharya nor any inhibition in criticising any Acharya. But somewhere I read that his well-known disappearance to Talakaveri some years ago had to do with his differences with his senior over the question of integrating all castes. If this be true, I felt we should give some credit to him for that.

This question of "what it means to be a brahmin?" has IMO, no relevance at all in this day and age. Just as any person is born and then brought up inculcating certain value systems in his/her psyche (this may or may not be followed when the person grows into an adult and has mature thinking of his own), the brahmins also do. Items like wearing the sacred thread, performing sandhyāvandanam, etc., etc., are merely superficial items and will not "really define" a brahmin, in my view. We, the brahmins are a small lot among so many billions. But since caste is now a very important criterion in today's India entitling some for preferential treatment, the label of 'brahmin' cannot be shaken off so easily. Having thus expressed my personal view, i am not for advocating any change in the mind set of others who may have their own notions about being a brahmin.

I feel the best and most effective way of educating brahmins is to make them more and more aware of the actual meaning and contents of our scriptures and spiritual lore which will make them see the light; right now many have blind belief and that is the real difficulty.

It looks like that a sulking child is being cajoled by most members to come out its seclusion!

It looks like that a sulking child is being cajoled by most members to come out its seclusion!

Which Secluded Sulking Child are you talking about Mr. Swami. This exposes the attitude of senior members towards new ones.

I think you are referring to me. This is RR. Today 7.30 Onwards I will be back under the pseudonym "Meerkat".

I think I was right from the beginning. This post of yours is evidence of the way you have been isolating me. Thank you for the confirmation.

I can fight seclusion all right.
God is with me, I don't need anybody else.

To Shri/Respected Swami ji/Sir/Ayya
I hope Vivek understands the hidden meaning of your post, which has beyond doubt derailed the thread in question.
Swami ji this post of yours is why unity among tamil Brahmins can't be achieved. I have been trying to convince Shri Kunjuppu ji to reconsider his decision because I don't want him to leave with a bad experience and misconception.
You guys accuse me of posting nonsense, then what is this?????

Even Raghyji accused me unnecessarily after RP clarified, he said I hope I would have posted the thread with better words, and Shri KRS gave clean shit to Shri Raghyji.
Even Almighty God can't separate me from this forum.

P.S- Request you Shri/Respected Swami ji/Sir to please use better words. Its apparent that when you said sulking, secluded you were referring to me. I'm going nowhere. Please don't cross the barriers of decency. I don't need neither your sympathy nor your ugly sarcasm.
Take care.

Last edited:
When God of Swarga Indira sitting on white Eravat Elephant with Vajra in his hand directed Varuna to rain the Govardhan malai to thwart Sri Krishna from saving the people of the town.

Just consider my hypothetical case--Govardhan malai requested varuna to stop rains as Krsna is lifting the malai with his little finger it must be paining him.
But varuna said a boy lifting the malai and that too with his little finger. Give me a break. And even if that's the case I can't see Ksna since your rocky surface is hiding my parvai.(Hidden meaning--a Veteran can never go wrong. But a newbie can always go wrong, and even if the veteran goes wrong he will be given benefit of doubt,but if a new member goes wrong he will be reprimanded.)

Last edited:
@ Sangomji

"I now live In Kerala where I was born and brought up, have lived in U.P., Assam and in these three places - to the extent
my knowledge goes - there is no anti-brahmin feeling."

I haven't been to Assam or UP. But ask yourself where fingers are pointed when it comes to explaining where the caste system came from, or who benefitted from it. The unanimous answer is Brahmins - whether we like it or not that is the opinion the nation has, which is even taught in schools. Casteism exists in many religions in India, but the bottom line is that its seen as a brahminical origin/tradition which spread from there.

Till today, Ambedkar's struggle to establish the contitution of India, which speaks of equal rights, is seen as a victory against the brahminical caste system. Nobody shows anti-brahmin feelings out, because on a personal level we interact with them nicely. But when it comes to viewing us as a community, there is an image of us as espousing casteism to such an extent that people see caste discrimination as synonymous with our lifestyle.

Today, as a community what is our message to the country on what we represent? What exactly do we represent and what are we doing to fight social injustices?

"That the world looks at Hinduism and brahmins as some perpetrators of atrocities is a rather unrealistic view."

The world, especially the western world, views Hinduism in good light, but not the caste system aspect of it. Its true that not just brahmins, but all upper sections of people anywhere have a dark part of their history as perpetrators of atrocities in some way. But when it comes to caste system in India, brahmins are seen as its originators. Further when Shankaracharya seems to support it, it spreads a message that we as a community support it.

I saw a documentary on untouchability (India Untouched by Drishti and Navasrajan). The Shankaracharya speaks between (41:30 to 42:51) and he responded by saying that the body is impure but the soul is pure. In the documentary he said that vegetarian food is pure, and non-vegetarian food is impure. I am myself a vegetarian and don't like or eat non-vegetarian food, but I think its a little extreme to consider a person
impure for eating non-veg. Though all that said, but a person born into low-caste even on being clean (and even a vegetarian) is still considered lowly. We brahmins can spread our lifestyle, instead we segregate others from us leaving them to become proselytized, and then even after that they are treated as low castes.

Most importantly, the rhetoric of Shankaracharya in the documentary was sympathatic towards the practice of
untouchability, not towards those who feel disrespected by it. How does it reflect on our community? Ask yourself.

"we cannot say confidently that India had always stood for its secular credentials."

It had, which is why so many philosophies evovled in India in the first place. In any case, this is secondary to main point I am focussing on.

" Items like wearing the sacred thread, performing sandhyāvandanam, etc., etc., are merely superficial items and will not
"really define" a brahmin, in my view. We, the brahmins are a small lot among so many billions. But since caste is now a
very important criterion in today's India entitling some for preferential treatment, the label of 'brahmin' cannot be shaken
off so easily. Having thus expressed my personal view, i am not for advocating any change in the mind set of others who
may have their own notions about being a brahmin."

You are right when you say the label can't be shaken off. But that is precisely the reason we need to define what we stand
for as a community and our goal .

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back