• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Philosophy for Old Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Recently my cousin forwarded a Power point presentation of absolutely brilliant slide show by the American Comedian and Social Critic George Carlin on Philosophy for Old Age. I wish to share my joy of reading the same with all.
Please have patience and read script given hereunder till the end:

Philosophy for Old Age

"Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!"
You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. "How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16!

And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . . . YOU BECOME 21. . . YEAS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk. He TURNED, we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40.
Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 . . . and your dreams are gone.
But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.
You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday! You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I was JUST 92." Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. [*]
    Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay him/her.
    [*]
    Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
    [*]
    Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. " An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.
    [*]
    Enjoy the simple things.
    [*]
    Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
    [*]
    The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves.
    Be ALIVE while you are alive.
    [*]
    Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, friends, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
    [*]
    Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable,
    improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
    [*]
    Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.
    [*]
    Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

Wonderful words indeed,
Cheers,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

PS: If you want to enjoy the Power point presentation of the same please view the same in PhilosophyForOldAge_GeorgeCarlin.pps

Last edited:
Growing UP is.....OPTIONAL

Dear all,

In line with the subject of this thread and the contents of the post, that Sri Brahmanyan has posted, I would like to share a moral story, that I received couple of days before through email..

The below is the moral story -

[FONT=&quot]T[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up her entire being.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?" I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she gave me a giant squeeze.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked. She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, and
have a couple of kids..." "No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.
"I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!" she told me.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake. We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she revelled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football
banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know." As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humour every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die. We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it! There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am
eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight. Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets. The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets." She concluded her speech by courageously singing "The Rose."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep. Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the
wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When you finish reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends and family, they'll really enjoy it![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
"REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. If God brings you to it,[/FONT]

Growing UP is.....OPTIONAL

Dear all,

In line with the subject of this thread and the contents of the post, that Sri Brahmanyan has posted, I would like to share a moral story, that I received couple of days before, through email..

The below is the moral story -

(Please spare some time to go through the each line of the story)

The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up her entire being.

She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?" I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she gave me a giant squeeze.

"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked. She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, and have a couple of kids..." "No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age. "I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!" she told me.

After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake. We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.

Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she revelled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.

At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.

Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know." As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humour every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die. We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it! There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight. Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets. The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets." She concluded her speech by courageously singing "The Rose."

She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago.

One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep. Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.

These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
"REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL."

We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. If God brings you to it,

[*]
Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

I like all the advices except the above item. I feel we old people should also review our lives and see where we could have done better and, if some particular point makes us feel guilty, we should accept that if pointed out by others or at least be magnanimous enough to do that if required. But that need not make us permanently worried or moody persons. This advice will make one to run away from one's past in a (futile) effort find the elusive happiness which one wants to enjoy in old age.

Thanks a lot to Sri Brahmanyan and Sri C Ravi for their valuable and superb posts. I learned many insights!

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,

Thanks for sharing the secrets of remaining young. You are 100 percent correct!

But I wonder what happened to the number one in the list of 11 factors?

Can you please tell me what was on the top of the list?
:typing:
with warm regards,
V.R.

The secret of remaining young involves being young in heart!

Keep alive the child-like curiosity.

Keep away ego and pride.

Be ready to accept one's faults and make up again - as easily as children do.

Last but not least is to never remember the faults and short comings of the others

around us.
:nono:

It is this that makes the adult life a hell. Always being reminded of

something some one had said/ did decades ago and being held

responsible for things which we never did or said but some one else in the family did in reality or in one's fertile imagination!
:fencing:

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,

Thanks for sharing the secrets of remaining young. You are 100 percent correct!

But I wonder what happened to the number one in the list of 11 factors?

Can you please tell me what was on the top of the list?
:typing:
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mrs Visalakshi Ramani,

There are only 10 tips beginning with "Throw out nonessential numbers.........". Interestingly when I tried to forward the message the numbers of 1 & 2 combined to give new numbering upto 11. You have posted the "apt" icon, sensing the typo !:typing:

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,

Bangalore.

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

I like all the advices except the above item. I feel we old people should also review our lives and see where we could have done better and, if some particular point makes us feel guilty, we should accept that if pointed out by others or at least be magnanimous enough to do that if required. But that need not make us permanently worried or moody persons. This advice will make one to run away from one's past in a (futile) effort find the elusive happiness which one wants to enjoy in old age.

Sri Sangom,

These practical tips were given by American Comedian and Social Critic George Carlin, perhaps to suit the way of life of Americans. No one can run away from the past. I for one believe that most important word in my dictionary is "sorry" which washes the guilt. Let us take what ever good for us and enjoy the remaining period of our old age.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear friends,

I have pondered over the thought of getting old, which is a natural process, and tried to find a solution to be happy. This 'kavithai' is already posted in my thread eNNa alaigaL. But for easy reference, I am copy pasting the same here. Please, read and enjoy!

பன்முக ஈடுபாட்டை வளர்த்திடுவோம்!

ஆய கலைகள் அறுபத்து நான்கு இருக்க – வேண்டும்
தூய மனத்துடன் சிலவற்றைக் கற்க!

அன்னை மடி விட்டெழுந்த காலம் முதல்,
அன்னை போல் காக்க வரும் துணை அமையும் வரை,

கலைகள் கற்கும் பொற்காலமே! மறக்கலாகாது! – பல
கலைகள் கரை காணாவிடினும், சிலவேனும் கற்றல் நலம்!

இருபதுகளில் திருமணம்; ஐம்பதுகள் வரை பிள்ளை பாதுகாப்பு என
இருப்பது இன்றும் மாறாவிட்டாலும், பேரப் பிள்ளைகள் எங்கே?

கற்றுத் தேர்ந்த பிள்ளைகள், இந்தியாவை விட்டு
வேற்று நாடுகளை நாடுதல், அதிகரித்துவிட்டது!

பெற்றோருக்கு ” BABY SITTING ” செய்வது தவிர,
மற்றோர் வேலையும் பிள்ளைகள் தருவதில்லை!

ஓய்வுக் காலத்தில் நமக்கென ஆர்வங்கள் தேவை!
ஓடி உழைத்த காலம் போலக் கடும் பணிகள் செய்ய இயலாதே!

அலுவலகம் தவிர வேறு எதிலும் ஈடுபாடு இல்லையெனில்
அலுவலகம் ஓய்வளித்தால் என்னதான் செய்வது?

இளமையில் பன்முக ஈடுபாட்டை வளர்த்தால்,
முதுமையில் சிலவற்றில் மூழ்கி இன்புறலாம்!

புத்தகம் படிப்பது, புகைப்படம் எடுப்பது, “யோகா” செய்வது,
நித்தமும் ஆன்மீகத்தில் ஆர்வம் கொள்வது,

நல்லிசை கேட்பது, நடைப் பயிற்சி செய்வது,
நலிந்தோருக்கு உதவுவது, சுற்றம் நட்புடன் கூடி மகிழ்வது, ,

நற்கலைகள் சிலவற்றைப் பாராட்ட முனைவது,
கற்றவற்றில் சிலவற்றை மற்றோருக்குக் கற்பிப்பது – என

எத்தனை விதங்களில் நேரம் செலவிடலாம்!
எத்தனை அருமையாக ஓய்வில் களித்திடலாம்!

பன்முக ஈடுபாட்டை வளர்த்திடுவோம்!
இன்முகத்துடன் வாழ்க்கை வாழ்ந்திடுவோம்!

(அலுவலகம் செல்லும் இருபாலாருக்கும் பொதுவாக எழுதியது……
இது, இல்லம் பேணும் இல்லத்தரசிகளுக்கும் பொருந்துமே!)

:peace:
Raji Ram

It is true that we learn fast during young age.

But age should never be a factor to stop us from learning anything new.

My friend's seventy five year old uncle had an influential person at DDK Bangalore.

He learnt five songs from me and could telecast his flute recital, which was his ambition in life!

:thumb:
Raji Ram

Thanks to Smt. Raji Ram for reminding the retired people to enjoy their remaining life in a pleasant and useful manner!

அறியவேண்டியவைகள் ஆயிரம் இருந்தாலும்,
அறியாமலேயே வாழ்கின்றோம் நம்மில் பலர்!
தாமதம் ஆனாலும் நஷ்டமில்லை நமக்கு,
நாமாக அவற்றைத் தவிர்க்காதவரையில்!

இளமையில் கல் என்ற வாக்கு உண்மையே!
முதுமையில் கல்லாதே என்ற வாக்கு இல்லையே!
கற்பதற்கு ஓர் ஆர்வமும், அறிவும்தான் தேவை;
கற்பதற்கு நேரமும், அமைதியும் கூடத் தேவை.

“யாதானும் நாடாமால் ஊராமால் என்னொருவன்
சாந்துணையும் கல்லாதவாறு ” என்ற தெள்ளு தமிழ்
வள்ளுவன் வாக்கின்படி, இன்றிலிருந்தாவது நாம்
வயதை மறந்து, அறியாதவற்றைக் கற்போம்!

வையத்துள் வாழ்வாங்கு வாழுவோம்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

Visalakshi Ramani;65571 [COLOR=#000000 said:
அறியவேண்டியவைகள் ஆயிரம் இருந்தாலும்,
அறியாமலேயே வாழ்கின்றோம் நம்மில் பலர்!
தாமதம் ஆனாலும் நஷ்டமில்லை நமக்கு,
நாமாக அவற்றைத் தவிர்க்காதவரையில்!
[/COLOR]
இளமையில் கல் என்ற வாக்கு உண்மையே!
முதுமையில் கல்லாதே என்ற வாக்கு இல்லையே!
கற்பதற்கு ஓர் ஆர்வமும், அறிவும்தான் தேவை;
கற்பதற்கு நேரமும், அமைதியும் கூடத் தேவை.

“யாதானும் நாடாமால் ஊராமால் என்னொருவன்
சாந்துணையும் கல்லாதவாறு ” என்ற தெள்ளு தமிழ்
வள்ளுவன் வாக்கின்படி, இன்றிலிருந்தாவது நாம்
வயதை மறந்து, அறியாதவற்றைக் கற்போம்!

வையத்துள் வாழ்வாங்கு வாழுவோம்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

தாங்கள் கூறுவது முற்றிலும் உண்மை
நம் வயது மனதிலிருக்கிறது. கிடைக்கும் வாய்ப்பை தவற விடாமல் கற்பதே விவேகம் . காலம் நம் கையில் இல்லை என்பதை மறக்கக்கூடாது.

ப்ரஹ் மண்யன்
பெங்களூர்

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,
Human life is limited. Available Time is even more limited. Even the little time that is available is wasted in umpteen useless jobs and fruitless tasks. If every Indian decides not to waste time, we will become one of the leading powers in the world.
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,
Human life is limited. Available Time is even more limited. Even the little time that is available is wasted in umpteen useless jobs and fruitless tasks. If every Indian decides not to waste time, we will become one of the leading powers in the world.
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mrs Visalakshi Ramani,

True. We have all the potential, But future looks bleak for the generation which ignores, rather lose the two important aspects of life namely "discipline and character", assiduously built up by our previews generations. ,
Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

There is a saying which goes thus...

When money is lost, nothing is lost.

When health is lost, something is lost.

When character is lost, everything is lost.

Today the reverse order holds good.

So when character is lost nothing is lost.

But when money is lost everything is lost!

Sad will be the future if this kind of thinking

becomes the accepted motto of everyone.
:help:

hi all
after 50 yrs of life...we try to contribute to community/society........we have to learn and earn as much as possible for our rainy days.....

we have to cultivate volunteerism......this helps many ways in old age......in western countries...many centres running purely on

volunteers....but we never learned these qualities......many young children are thought community volunteer services in school days...

many kids help in churches/hospital in young age.....we have to teach our kids to do volunteer work in many ways.....MONEY CAN GIVE

COMFORTS...NOT HAPPINESS...HAPPINESS COMES FROM SERVICE TO POOR......

regards
tbs

True, TBS sir! Happiness comes from the service to the poor.

But happiness starts when elders in the family utter only kind and consoling words.

Many are yet to know this philosophy - "LOVE ALL"!

:peace:
Raji Ram

hi Raji Ram,
its true....but when we talk about elders.....especially our old generation...our parents did a lot of sacrifices to the children....so we have to

care of them....its our duty..but now the reality is both are working...children are take care in day care centres....when we keep our

our children in day care......THEY WILL KEEP US IN OLD AGE HOMES......its nothing to say abt it....what we sow....we have to reap...

EACH AND EVERY ACTION HAS EQUAL AND OPPOSITE REACTION.... this is the theory of karma.....

regards
tbs

Hi TBS sir!

I would like to share a real story (?) with you. A widowed mother was taken by her son to Bombay under the pretext of consoling her for the loss of her husband. He came to Chennai to settle her bank accounts with her signatures on blank papers! Poor mother, who sacrificed a lot for her unfaithful son, came to Chennai later on to find out that all the money was transfered to her son's accounts and she was a bankrupt!

This story has a climax too! She filed a case against her son and got back ALL the money earned by her husband and now lives in an old age home peacefully.

The moral of this story is that it depends on the behaviour of the children when it comes to taking care of their parents, whether or not they had sacrificed for their sake!
:eek:hwell:
Regards,
Raji Ram

hi raji ram,
thanks for real story...even i know some kind of stories.....anyway nice pics of bagel/pizza in payana kavidhai...i like it....its real life

here in USA....its real story too....some think that we are here in USA live like a bed of roses....I PUT IT LIKE THIS.....PAANCH DIN

NOWKARY.....EK DIN GROCERY.....EK DIN LAUNDARY....this is our life here.....means....FIVE DAYS WORK...ONE DAY GROCERY....FROM

WALMART TO INDIAN GROCERY.....ONE DAY LAUNDARY......but now we have samachar .com ....all news papers in online...infact

i read THE HINDU/INDIAN EXPRESS/HINDUSTHAN TIMES AND DINAMANI IN TAMIL DAILY.....without break....all e papers are

available...thanks to technology......

regards
tbs

That is why I wrote:
உழைத்து உழைத்து ஓடாகின்றார்!
களைத்துக் களைத்துப் போகின்றார்!

:ballchain:

hi Raji Ram,
its true....but when we talk about elders.....especially our old generation...our parents did a lot of sacrifices to the children....so we have to take care of them....its our duty..but now the reality is both are working...children are take care in day care centres....when we keep our
children in day care......THEY WILL KEEP US IN OLD AGE HOMES......its nothing to say abt it....what we sow....we have to reap...

EACH AND EVERY ACTION HAS EQUAL AND OPPOSITE REACTION.... this is the theory of karma.....

regards
tbs

Dear Sri "Tbs",

Well said. Every coin has two sides. If the parents leave their children in Day Care homes, then the time comes that the parents have to live in Old age homes.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back