Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Teaching Morals Of Ramayana To Kids

How do we teach kids the morals of Ramayana today?
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopal Rao View Post
    How do we teach kids the morals of Ramayana today?

Dear Sir,

Believe me..it is not easy to teach kids these days about the Ramayan.
    Be prepared to have answers for questions like this(a kid asked this to me)

1)If Dasharatha is described to be so good and virtuous what was he doing hunting for elephants in the jungle?(where he mistook the son of an ascetic for an elephant drinking water and accidentally killed him)

2)Why did Lord Rama have to kill Ravan when all Ravan did was abduct Sita and not kill her?
    So why did Ravan have to pay with his life when the offence committed by Ravan was not murder to start with.

3)Why didn't Lord Rama allow Ravan to keep Sita cos that would have involved less bloodshed and not so much loss of life.

So be prepared to have answers to a host of questions when teaching kids Ramayan these days.

My mum used to run a Bal Vikas class before where some students asked her these too:

1)Why did Lakshmana leave his wife and follow Rama to the jungle and did not think of how his wife would have felt being separated from him.

2)Why is Vibhisheena viewed as a good person when he betrayed his brother Ravan?He could have opted not to get involved in the battle but not betray Ravan.

So..going by this...I might have to start thinking for all possible questions and answers before I would even dare to teach any kid Ramayan these days.
    Last edited by renuka; 18-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We also would have like to ask these questions when we were children. But we did not have the freedom to do so.

Another questions which is openly asked is

Why did Rama kill Vali hiding behind a tree? Was it not a cowardly act?
    யான் பெற்ற இன்பம் பெறுக இவ்வையகம் . Sorry. No one should have similar experience here.

5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sankara_sharmah View Post
    We also would have like to ask these questions when we were children. But we did not have the freedom to do so.

Another questions which is openly asked is

Why did Rama kill Vali hiding behind a tree? Was it not a cowardly act?
    Here is what I wrote in this site, under share your knoweldge..
    http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/share-y...e-worship.html

That explains why we should worship and why Rama did what he did..

-TBT
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ramayana was originally not what we see it as today. The Balakanda and Uttara Kanda are later additons as also the Pattabhishekam scene. It described the heroic life of a certain pure Aryan prince who possibly ventured south of the Ganga-Yamuna doab region due to some 'palace intrigues' and then had to face his wife being kidnapped by a Rakshasa king, which term might have denoted some tribes or people who were equal or greater in might and development to / than the Aryans then. The story ends with Rama cultivating friendship with a monkey-like (in the eyes of Valmiki) people from the Kishkindha region, entering into a friendship pact with their prince-in-waiting Sugreeva on the condition that Rama would by hook or crook kill the king Vali and give the throne to Sugreeva, tracing the place where his kidnapped wife was, crossing the ocean by building a temporary bridge, waging war with the Rakshasa king Ravana and then returning home in full heroic glory in the aeroplane of the vanquished. In Lanka, the country of Ravana, vibheeshana (again an aspirant for the throne) turns a spy for Rama and is ultimately rewarded with the throne of a devastated Lanka!

This story was made into some sort of epic poetry by some scholar on hearing about the Greek epics and lest he be hounded out, he put his name as "vaalmeeki" or one who is inside a hill of white ants. (It is my doubt that the hill of white ants was not accidental and the author wanted to give an indication that he was at least in friendship with the fair-complexioned Greeks.) This story/epic got fairly good reception in the then aaryaavarta (abode of Aryans) of those days.

Later. when the Vaishnavite cult spread to the north from the south, some one found this Rama-story to be ideal to attract the northerners into Vaishnavism. Accordingly a lot of "dressing up", "interpolations" and "additions" were done to the original Vaalmeeki Ramayana and it became the story of the divine Vishnu avataar viz., Rama.
    श्रेयो भूयात् सकलजनानाम् ।
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sangom,

someone asked these questions. not saying these are right. but nowadays, our standard of morality appears to be absolute.

i think, the intention, is that the human rama was flawed. but in the ultimate, he stood for good against evil. (the good being the winning side).

my grandmother, had a soft corner for ravana. she used to tell me, that rama being a kshatriya, and ravana was a poonal wearing brahmin - technically we pattars should be closer to ravana than rama

1) ராமன் தாடகையைக் கொன்று யாகம் நடத்திக்கொடுத்தான்.

2) சூர்ப்பநகையின் மூக்கையும், காதையும் அறுக்கும்படி தம்பிக்கு உத்தரவு கொடுத்தான்.

3) வாலியைக் கொன்று சுக்கிரீவனுக்குப் பட்டங் கட்டினான்.

4) ராவணனைக் கொன்று விபீஷணனுக்குப் பட்டங் கட்டினான்.

5) ஐந்து மாத கர்ப்பத்தோடு சீதையை விபசாரப் பட்டம் கட்டி தனியே காட்டில் கொண்டுபோய் விட்டுவந்தான்.

இந்த ஐந்து அரும்பெருங் காரியங்களிலிருந்து ராமனிடத்தில் தெய்வத்தன்மையோ, நீதியோ, அறிவுடைமையோ, மனுஷ்யத் தன்மையோ ஏதாவது இருக்கிறதாகச் சொல்ல முடியுமா?
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sangom View Post
    Ramayana was originally not what we see it as today. The Balakanda and Uttara Kanda are later additons as also the Pattabhishekam scene. It described the heroic life of a certain pure Aryan prince who possibly ventured south of the Ganga-Yamuna doab region due to some 'palace intrigues' and then had to face his wife being kidnapped by a Rakshasa king, which term might have denoted some tribes or people who were equal or greater in might and development to / than the Aryans then. The story ends with Rama cultivating friendship with a monkey-like (in the eyes of Valmiki) people from the Kishkindha region, entering into a friendship pact with their prince-in-waiting Sugreeva on the condition that Rama would by hook or crook kill the king Vali and give the throne to Sugreeva, tracing the place where his kidnapped wife was, crossing the ocean by building a temporary bridge, waging war with the Rakshasa king Ravana and then returning home in full heroic glory in the aeroplane of the vanquished. In Lanka, the country of Ravana, vibheeshana (again an aspirant for the throne) turns a spy for Rama and is ultimately rewarded with the throne of a devastated Lanka!

This story was made into some sort of epic poetry by some scholar on hearing about the Greek epics and lest he be hounded out, he put his name as "vaalmeeki" or one who is inside a hill of white ants. (It is my doubt that the hill of white ants was not accidental and the author wanted to give an indication that he was at least in friendship with the fair-complexioned Greeks.) This story/epic got fairly good reception in the then aaryaavarta (abode of Aryans) of those days.

Later. when the Vaishnavite cult spread to the north from the south, some one found this Rama-story to be ideal to attract the northerners into Vaishnavism. Accordingly a lot of "dressing up", "interpolations" and "additions" were done to the original Vaalmeeki Ramayana and it became the story of the divine Vishnu avataar viz., Rama.
    I have read valmiki Ramayana in its source. The way Aswamedha Yajna is described, the way Sugriv explains the different locations that monkeys have to search etc and so many other vivid details that are present in the story, I am sure it is not dressing up on a Greek epic.

I doubt Greeks would even have heard of a polar region in which sun rises only for few hours, which is what Sugriv tells Hanuman when he describes the locations that Hanuman needs to search.

It is possible that Bala-Kanda is introduced as a later addition, but the way it has been placed is, there is a lot of continuity and it is simply not possible today to authoritatively say it.

-TBT
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sankara_sharmah View Post
    Dear Sir,

I had all the freedom to ask any question when I was a child but it is just that no one gave me answers.
    I always liked all the Asura characters more than the Deva characters when ever any story was narrated to me.

I still remember telling my mum "Sita should have stayed with Ravan if the final outcome would have been so bad that she gets sent away"

I also did not like the part where Sita accuses Lakshmana of having an eye on her when he refused to go look for Rama.

That was too bad I feel cos Lakshmana was just too good to both Rama and Sita.
    She should have never accused him of having an eye on her!

I also remember my mum telling me that one little girl in her class had asked her why Gods do not have daughters? cos there is only Lord Ganesh and Lord Kartikeya..why no girl child?

Coming back to Ramayan...Sita is often portrayed as an all suffering female but I feel if we analyse her character well she comes across as a strong woman who finally tells off her husband that she rather die(go back into the earth) instead of being his queen once again.

She did not want to stay with a Doubting Thomas and technically "divorced" him.

That way I feel Sita was even stronger than Draupadi....Draupadi had 5 husbands who did not stand up for her at the time of need but yet she stayed with all of them till her very last breath.
    She did not leave them at any point despite all the hardship she went through.

Draupadi always had Lord Krishna to pay her divine attention and to be by her side when ever she needed some support but Sita had no one..yet she survived the ordeal.

So if you ask me I would say that Sita is the only person who actually told off her husband '"I have had enough off you..off with you..I rather be dead than to be your queen".

I don't think any other female character ever had that much guts.
    Last edited by renuka; 19-12-2012 at 06:01 AM.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    History is written by the victor. If Ravana had won, surely we would have had a ​Ravanayana.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast