• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Yoga and Sex Scandals: A NY Times Piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with the NY Times article is that it is attacking Yoga, as a whole, and completely lacks true factual integrity. It is written by someone that knows very little about the origins of Tantra and Yoga. Christopher Wallis, renowned Tantra scholar and author of Tantra Illuminated has addressed some of the key issues with this article on his Facebook Page.Mr. Wallis has given us permission to print these points with the knowledge that they were written “informally” and will be rewritten and referenced correctly at a future date.
Christopher Wallis addresses “Factual Errors” in NY Times Article: Yoga and Sex Scandals - Flow Yoga Magazine

I dont think one needs to blame Yoga alone for promiscuity.

That way we have noted that many sports men involved in sex scandals too..does that mean Sports and Exercise fans sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is sometimes seen in situations where a person has influence,power,money and a bloated ego too.

Many people who have never done Yoga or Sports before too have been guilty of sexual misconduct.

The sexual drive is all in the mind coupled by the fact that the brain is the greatest sexual organ.

Some people get hormonal spikes even watching a person eat ice cream.

Do we have to blame Yoga alone??

I dont think one needs to blame Yoga alone for promiscuity.

That way we have noted that many sports men involved in sex scandals too..does that mean Sports and Exercise fans sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is sometimes seen in situations where a person has influence,power,money and a bloated ego too.

Many people who have never done Yoga or Sports before too have been guilty of sexual misconduct.

The sexual drive is all in the mind coupled by the fact that the brain is the greatest sexual organ.

Some people get hormonal spikes even watching a person eat ice cream.

Do we have to blame Yoga alone??

Very well said dear Renuka...Nice post to the point.

As you know many doctors, nurses, ward boys/girls were also found indulging in sex in hospitals (similarly in aviation industry - airports/cabin crews, Hotels etc). Can we say "all" these folks who all are valued much for their medical profession and all the hospitals as filthy in general, lacking moral values alltogether? If we do, it means we are mentally derailed or have some psychic disorder that makes us think negatively about all. OR an attempt to degrade specific profession/professionals.

As you know many doctors, nurses, ward boys/girls were also found indulging in sex in hospitals (similarly in aviation industry - airports/cabin crews, Hotels etc). Can we say "all" these folks who all are valued much for their medical profession and all the hospitals as filthy in general, lacking moral values alltogether? If we do, it means we are mentally derailed or have some psychic disorder that makes us think negatively about all. OR an attempt to degrade specific profession/professionals.

I would remind you that Mr. Yamaka in his own word is
Since I became a Naturalized US Citizen in 1989 (long time ago), I have less of a sense of belonging and identity with India now than I had till 1989. Because that's exactly what you do when you give up the citizenship of your place of birth.

As a Globalist.

So obviously he was not posting about any specific group of people!.

Folks,

From what I understand, Hatha Yoga, is different from Tantric and only one minority school of Tantric which has numerous branches advocate ritualistic intercourse to awaken the Kundalini through the Sushma body. All Hinduism based Yogas are not just exercises, but to purify the body and mind to make it easy for spiritual purposes. Those of you who have better knowledge, may share that here for the benefit of our members.

As usual, it seems to me, the western culture, with it's inordinate obsession with sexuality, is misunderstanding this branch of Hinduism. The NY Times writer, like many from the west, is intent on using some people's personal failings to tarnish Yoga as it is practiced in the west, perhaps, I suspect, to promote his own hidden agenda of his religious beliefs.

Sri Yamaka Ji, who does not seem to understand Hinduism, asks 'Is it really predictable?' above. No, sir, it is not predictable, anymore than any human failing in any given situation is predictable. Even in a watered down way as it is practiced just as a physical exercise in the west, it has shown to have very beneficial effects, even in areas like aiding Cancer patients.

Regards,
KRS

Irrespective of any other factor, it is true that almost all the brands of Yoga (including the Rajayoga of Vivekananda to the whatever "art of living" yoga is currently marketed) have their origin from Tantra and Tantra has sex as its fulcrum.

Patanjali's yogasutras did not say any of the things about yoga now being said for the last more than 100 years. This modern, yoga craze started with the unholy effort to tell the west that India had some great spiritual merchandise to be marketed for their welfare. Many gurus and self-proclaimed yoga gurus have gone west during the last about 110 years and have been successful in making lot of wealth for themselves in the name of yoga. Almost all these gurus had been subordinated by the beauty of the western woman and have become philanderers also, in the process.

Now, the western men are trying to outsmart our desi yoga gurus in the latters' own field.

The fault lies as much with India which has no system to assess the many gurus going abroad and creating enormous wealth there, as with the governments of those western countries who allow these false-gurus all sorts of freedom in their country.

Osho was perhaps the only person who was a bit more truthful than others; he said openly that sex is the method to spiritual ecstasy and thence to brahmanandam.

I will only wish Nithyananda to spread his yoga in the west :)

I would remind you that Mr. Yamaka in his own word is

So obviously he was not posting about any specific group of people!.

Folks:

Here's my take on this article.

The author of this article says, ".....Since Hatha Yoga is known to increase the testosterone in men, naturally the practitioners will engage in higher sexual activity;...... this is quite expected".

That's why I asked "Is it really predictable?"

I don't know anything about Hatha Yoga or the so-called Tantric Philosophy etc I just don't care!.... although I learnt a few basic Yoga asanas long time ago when I was in Madurai!

Yes, excessive sexual activities are there with Seers, Godmen, Sportsmen, Politicians, Physicians etc.. perhaps, that depends on whether their testosterone level is "within the range" or "much above the range"... I am not commenting on this at all.

Yes, I am a Globalist... less of an Indian Nationalist now than before 1989, when I voluntarily gave up my Indian Citizenship...

I guess some of you just mix up everything and anything..... that's your CHOICE...

Practitioners of Religions need not take a "DEFENSIVE " position whenever they read about Yoga... it only, perhaps, shows their WEAK or WEAKENING stand! Lol.

Cheers

:)

Last edited:
By your own admission you are not one of "US" meaning a PIO.

"Know when to go on a defensive attack

Quite often in our careers we come on scene to a fire that is beyond the point of making an offensive attack. The words offense and defense can be used in all types of fire attacks.
As an incident commander you could determine that an aggressive offensive attack on a car fire is necessary because there is a life hazard involved. On a different run you may determine that a defensive attack is warranted on a dumpster fire because there is no life hazard and the contents are unknown."

Know when to go on a defensive attack

It is all in the perception. Elephants in general do not go on aggressive attack, unless provoked or for their life so it is always defensive attack (not weakness).

Last edited:

But you know Ravi..there is something about doctors you need to know..

They are like Wine..they get better as they age!!!LOL
I leave it to your imagination to figure out what I mean.

I think this claim has to be made by somebody with experience regarding doctors. :)

Dear Biswa,

What I have noted about doctors (males)..in college most of them are the nerdy ones as when compared to the engineering guys who will be strutting around like heroes.

But as the years go by and when works starts the engineers become very mechanical in thought, word and deeds and somehow lose the soft human approach.

But the doctors over the years of dealing with humans develop more compassion and the human approach increases and eventually the "Human Touch" conquers even restricted Zones and you will find quite a number of doctors in some extra marital situations.

About female doctors..there is not much data cos most females are discreet about their activities and cover up their tracks better than males.

A male doctor can chose to have a liaison with any female regardless of the education level.

At the same time..if a woman is a professional like a doctor her choices are narrowed down only to professional man..so such situations might be rare.

Just like marriage..the higher the education level of a woman the lesser the choice of men there is for her to meet becos marriage can only take place with another professional man.

Where else a lesser educated woman has a wider range of choice when it comes to marriage.

Last edited:
In my experience the engineers are the nerdy ones, and the women engineers even worse. :)

In college the male nerdy engineers are mainly from a particular community!!LOL

The rest can even out shine SRK.

Not exactly a reply to the points you have said, but collection of similar rambling.

1. In my field, engineering, these were our views; a civil engineer becomes concrete (hard and stationary), an electrical engineer a shocker (in the negative sens), a mechanical engineer dull and repetitive and a communication engineer silent like our telephone system. We did not acknowledge other branches as legitimate engineering.

2. A jain friend of mine stopped his daughter's education at school level because of difficulty in getting a higher qualified groom if the girl gets a degree. But every month he bought some gold for her marriage. Another jain (from jwellery business family) married a qualified tambram girl, wanted to freakout (?) in software business, but is now returning to family business. Another jain girl, a chartered accountant, married to a bengali software professional, is finding it difficult to obey his feudal demands - don't work, stay at home, cook fish my mother's way etc. Finally, a jain may inherit warren buffet's empire!

Dear Biswa,

What I have noted about doctors (males)..in college most of them are the nerdy ones as when compared to the engineering guys who will be strutting around like heroes.

But as the years go by and when works starts the engineers become very mechanical in thought, word and deeds and somehow lose the soft human approach.

But the doctors over the years of dealing with humans develop more compassion and the human approach increases and eventually the "Human Touch" conquers even restricted Zones and you will find quite a number of doctors in some extra marital situations.

About female doctors..there is not much data cos most females are discreet about their activities and cover up their tracks better than males.

A male doctor can chose to have a liaison with any female regardless of the education level.

At the same time..if a woman is a professional like a doctor her choices are narrowed down only to professional man..so such situations might be rare.

Just like marriage..the higher the education level of a woman the lesser the choice of men there is for her to meet becos marriage can only take place with another professional man.

Where else a lesser educated woman has a wider range of choice when it comes to marriage.

Elaboration please; which nerd belongs to which community?

1. An insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious.
2. An intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession
3. Someone considered boring because of their obsessive hobby or narrow solitary interests

Elaboration please; which nerd belongs to which community?

1. An insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or boringly studious.
2. An intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession
3. Someone considered boring because of their obsessive hobby or narrow solitary interests

1) The 1st type is sometimes like an illusion..we hardly know he/she exists in class.Believe me its true..some of us never even knew who were in our class cos they were so so quiet but not very studious either.

2)An intelligent outgoing cool person is never called a nerd.Its not that a nerd is only studious but its more of looking like nerd.

3)The 3rd type of nerd is dangerous..the ones with obsessive hobbies or narrow solitary interests..these are the profiles of potential terrorist.
Its always the quiet,nerdy obsessive types that have a mind of a devils workshop.

The guy who wrote that article (in NYTimes) clearly had some hidden agenda.

Sexual proclivity is usually a characteristic of the rich and the famous, irrespective of whether they are practitioners of yoga, or medicine, or golf ( e.g. Tiger Woods ) or basket ball (name your pick). But, an important factor in the West is meat consumption which increases testosterone levels.

So when an average meat-eating Westerner gets into any intense physical activity, be it golf, basketball or yoga, it enhances his arousal instinct.

Here is a report that has a bearing on this matter.

RedMeat consumption

According to research reported in the 1985 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, consuming meat improves testosterone levels. Researchers found that vegetarians had significantly lower levels of testosterone compared to meat eaters.
Dietary and hormonal interrelationships among... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1985] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
RedMeat consumption

According to research reported in the 1985 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, consuming meat improves testosterone levels. Researchers found that vegetarians had significantly lower levels of testosterone compared to meat eaters.
Dietary and hormonal interrelationships among... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1985] - PubMed - NCBI

This study must be severely flawed..I totally disagree.I dont think they took subjects from TB community!!!LOL
I feel vegetarians are as a normal as anyone else..after all in a country where red meat consumption is almost the lowest in the world..the population doesnt seem to be low at all.

Last edited:
This study must be severely flawed..I totally disagree.I dont think they took subjects from TB community!!!LOL
I feel vegetarians are as a normal as anyone else..after all in a country where red meat consumption is almost the lowest in the world..the population doesnt seem to be low at all.
If despising or being spiteful of TB community is an agenda, MK has already done it.

If despising or being spiteful of TB community is an agenda, MK has already done it.

I am not insulting TB's here.
Why would anyone want to agree to a study that says a vegetarian male has SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER levels of Testosterone?

You have to understand that study was done on SDAs in the west.
SDAs have a totally different mindset from the average Hindu Vegetarian.
So a conclusion can not be drawn when the study was conducted only on one type of vegetarian.

Comparative studies from other vegetarian communities should have been done to come to such a conclusion.

Hindu culture emphasizes more on self control and mind control, so the Hindu Vegetarian male might be having NORMAL levels of Testosterone but does not display any western type of sexual over indulgence due to mind conditioning and cultural values.

I never meant to insult TB's in that post..In fact it was a complement.

Just to add: I have been in this forum long enough and insulting any community is not my style.

Last edited:
And today's paper there is a report - depressed and isolated people are more likely to be sexually violent. There was another report a few weeks ago that more than half the wives employed in call centres are having affairs - out 34 respondents 18 had affairs. I am convinced these sociology surveys are bogus, as any desired conclusion can be drawn with 'proper' sample selection and 'survey method'.

.......I never meant to insult TB's in that post..In fact it was a complement.
Just to add: I have been in this forum long enough and insulting any community is not my style.

Nice. Make sure that it does not come out as a back-handed compliment.

P.S. I spell compliment with an i.

Why they have not sex scandals in churches, highest number of priests have been booked for sex scandals. We have that kind hereto. Journalism thrives on sensationalism. I really used to wonder the tribes. See they report " Train run over a boy, mauls a car or bus" In the beginning I thought the train derailed purposely to run over a boy or to maul a vehicle. Now I am wiser by their reporting. In Mumbai railways are the life line. Because of heavy and constant traffic the authos (authorities) carry out repairs weekly blocking the traffic for a duration of time. And they announce the section and the timing well in advance. But the the clan of journalists highlight the people's (who involuntarily wake up and hit the stations as a force of habit irrespective of the day of the week!) plight in such a way that you go nuts. The people at large, influential or otherwise, would not call them hypocrites. The same thing has happened here to perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back