• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

yagnjopaveetham for women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dharam Shastras like Aapsthamba's,etc... are of a later additions. They were composed at the time of foreign invasions... Even in Maanav Dharam Shastra(Mau Smirthi) we can find many contradictory statements... We can see Dr. Surendar Kumar's Vishuddha Manu Smriti published by Araya Samajis (thanks to HH ji for the info about Vishuddha Manu Smrithi)... I'm not following any Smrithis... nor will I follow it in the future... But if we take a look at the statue of Shivakaami... she will be wearing a Janeau (poonul). As RVR ji said... women don't even want to wear mangal sutra nowadays... why bother about janeau... around the waist...? But swami Dayanand... who hated caste discrimination .... accepted Manu Smriti... so there are certainly many interpolations in Manu Smrithi...

In rig veda (9.112.3) we can see
—I am a bard, my father is a physician, my mother's job is to grind the corn.
Passages in Manusmriti and other scriptures suggest that the Indian caste system was originally non-hereditary:
ManuSmriti X:65
As the son of Shudra can attain the rank of a Brahman, the son of Brahman can attain rank of a Shudra. Even so with him who is born of a Vaishya or a Kshatriya

Women Vedic seers are as follows
Lopamudra,Maitreyi,Gargi,Ghosha,etc...

A girl also should be brought up and educated with great effort and care." (Mahanirvana Tantra); and "All forms of knowledge are aspects of Thee; and all women throughout the world are Thy forms." (Devi Mahatmya)

Women, who so desired, could undergo the sacred thread ceremony or 'Upanayana' (a sacrament to pursue Vedic studies), which is only meant for males even to this day. The mention of female scholars and sages of the Vedic age like Vac, Ambhrni, Romasa, Gargi, Khona in the Vedic lore corroborates this view. These highly intelligent and greatly learned women, who chose the path of Vedic studies, were called 'brahmavadinis', and women who opted out of education for married life were called 'sadyovadhus'. Co-education seems to have existed in this period and both the sexes got equal attention from the teacher. Moreover, ladies from the Kshatriya caste received martial arts courses and arms training.

Hope this provides the info... go ahead... let's conduct the Upanayana ceremony to women... if they are willing

Dear Somayji,

I had some friend who are doing devi upsana and they told the panchathasakshari should not be chanted openly. The vidhai called as rahasya vidhai.

But the person who has the authority to give upadesam can give it to anyone he feels right. Since who do upasana should not have any partiality of caste/creed.
But it should not be given to everyone like prasatha viniyogam. Nithyananda is having the result who allows everyone to do srividhya homam and all.

Sarvam krishnarpanam

Dear Somayji,

I had some friend who are doing devi upsana and they told the panchathasakshari should not be chanted openly. The vidhai called as rahasya vidhai.

But the person who has the authority to give upadesam can give it to anyone he feels right. Since who do upasana should not have any partiality of caste/creed.
But it should not be given to everyone like prasatha viniyogam. Nithyananda is having the result who allows everyone to do srividhya homam and all.

Sarvam krishnarpanam

sathya,

its not becoz of sri vidhya homam being allowed for all,that nithyananda aka rajasekaran,is in law enforcement radar,but owing to sting operation exposing his sex-escapades with actress ranjitha and other women,claiming to be lord krishna with his gopikas.so,please dont mix issues.our sanathana dharma,clearly explains four stages of a human being for moksham.when ppl who claim self acclaimed gurudom,in kali yuga,mother kali will destroy them.some who proclaim their divinity,are still surviving their self proclamation,and ppl flock to them.guru parampara,is all together diff story.

sathya,

you have my support for it. i think, poonul is a coming of age ceremony for all youngsters and an occassion of celebrations for their parents.

however it need necessarily be confined to girls. all hindu boys and girls should have that opportunity.

nowadays, all the brahmin boys i know in my family, have big poonul functions, because their parents are rich and this is an occassion to show off and buy expensive saris for their relatives. nary a boy, knows his abhivaadeye and the poonul rests on his shoulders barely 24 hours.

given the case, let us give a chance to girls and other castes. optionally ofcourse! given the increased numbers of candidates, in sum total, there may end up more sincere folks practsing yagnopaveedam than our regular annual avani avittam பேர்வழிஸ் who do a few gayatri, and retire to gossip and consume idlivadaicoffee.

This is abt the last para. Its not about "giving chance to others" bcoz tb boys cannot live up to certain things. Its not a favour from a particualr community. Some things are the birthright of every hindu.

As regards the increased number of candiates, am sorry in my observation i do not come across many who are intrested. As far as i know the Non-Brahmin Non-Dalit (NBND) group does not care. Youngsters these days seem eager to give up whatever little remains of their traditions as well (ex: each family has its own way of doing the lakshmi kalasam pooja during diwali times - and i do not know of DILs who wants to learn this from their MILs in these times - i think it will be completely gone in the next generation).

The vast majority of the dalit group also does not care. Its only the outliers (very few) who are interested in religious studies.

For these outliers, there are already venues with the old saiva aadhenams taking in students from all castes for purohit training. From my observation, the only ones who are disliked are the ones who oppose such things or portray themselves as high authority to decide these things.

This is my last post. It will be deleted soon. Shri Kunjuppu ji, i meant no harm in mentioning this. Am sure you understand.

Regards.

This is my last post. It will be deleted soon. Shri Kunjuppu ji, i meant no harm in mentioning this. Am sure you understand.

HH has contributed many informative posts. I greatly benefited from reading many articles she cited. So, I request Praveen not to delete HH's posts, at least not immediately, let us try to get her permission to keep her posts.

Somewhat related to this is the fact that not many women members seem interested in regular participation in the forum. We can leave it to the women to decide whether they want to wear the sacred thread or not. But I think it is in our interest to find out why more women are not active participants here and remove barriers if any.

Cheers!

External marks, symbols or attire are for two specific purposes.

1. To retain and display a supposedly distinctive identity

2. To serve as a reminder to oneself so that he/she doesn't swerve from the path of
dharma, chosen by oneself.

I do not suggest or recommend 'Yagna-upaveedham' to our women folk.

happy is a most eminent member of this forum.

even though praveen owns this forum, he has been generous enough to provide enough leeway for free exchange of thought and ideas.

swami sharma has been a dividing influence for some, right from the start. personally, i like swami, as he presents yet another facet of our community, and i feel enriched, even though i do not subscribe to his views or astrology.

he has as much right as anybody else.

however, if i remember right KRS had qualms, whose details i do not know, but i am aware that swami figured prominently in it. now happy hindu had posts, which praveen felt offensive to swami.

it would be good if swami felt likewise and came out. swami can defend himself, and need not have praveen's intervention, particularly when it came to discussions between members.

to lose happy, would be to lose erudition, and i think praveen is not aware of the depth and quality of her contribution. in many instances she comes close to naccchinarkiniyan.

personally, i would not leave the forum for whatever reasons, unless on my own terms. i was an active and leading member in another forum. except i found it boring, after a while, and could not screw up the energy to read the posts, and find them intersting to reply.

i am quite sure praveen would not like that to happen to his forum. in that context alone, i think, he would do good, to send a personal message to happy to clear the air.

this is my suggestion. life is short, and to carry grudges, or to have a ego big so that no hat fits your head, or to sermonize under the guise of law and order, does no one any good. we are all human.

i think it is always good to stoop to conquer. eventually anyway.

best wishes...

i think praveen is endowed with super-duper brain.one of the most diplomatic owner of a website despite constant niggardly peevish behaviour from members.hh is a valuable member and i think a womans perspective adds to excitement of writing fervour also.as far other ladies,i guess a hiatus for them.wish more tambrahm ladies drop by and gives us men some sock pow wow now and then :)

External marks, symbols or attire are for two specific purposes.

1. To retain and display a supposedly distinctive identity

2. To serve as a reminder to oneself so that he/she doesn't swerve from the path of
dharma, chosen by oneself.

I do not suggest or recommend 'Yagna-upaveedham' to our women folk.

Dear Sir,

1. The external marks are the identity but it will remind us who we are and the responsibilities to us.
2. The dharma can be given to everyone on their childhood and it can be done perfectly by the mothers than fathers.
3. May yagna-upaveedham is not required for women on your views but what about their part in yagnams. Whether they can be allowed to do it or not?

Sarvam krishnarpanam

sathya,

its not becoz of sri vidhya homam being allowed for all,that nithyananda aka rajasekaran,is in law enforcement radar,but owing to sting operation exposing his sex-escapades with actress ranjitha and other women,claiming to be lord krishna with his gopikas.so,please dont mix issues.our sanathana dharma,clearly explains four stages of a human being for moksham.when ppl who claim self acclaimed gurudom,in kali yuga,mother kali will destroy them.some who proclaim their divinity,are still surviving their self proclamation,and ppl flock to them.guru parampara,is all together diff story.

Dear Somayaji,

Yes I understand. I missed to explain in correct way.

sarvam krishnarpanam

Yagjnam+Upa+Veedham=Yagjnopaveedham---Even recitation of Akanda Raama Naamam is also an Yagjnam--Ladies can do that---Upa=(to tie up)near---Veedham=orderly performance of the ritual--"Kankana Dharanam"=Kaappu Kattudhal--In Aadi Tiruvizha after the Kaappu Kattudhal to the Amman, villagers will NOT go out of the Village.In marriages after Kankana Dhaaranam,the bride and groom should move out of certain boundaries,till important rituals are over.In marriages "Thanthuna"=cotton string is more important than Golden pendant(Thaali or Bottu--poor Brahmin ladies can wear a rhizhome of Manjal).Instead of Kankanam,brahmins wear a cotton string to be always promise to be present "Near the Mantram(Gayatri)=Upa Veedham-Kerala Nambhudris wear a "Murikkina"towel,in addition to Poonool during important Temple rituals. -Brahma Vaadhinis can wear "Poonool" and Sadhya Vathus can wear "Mangalyam Thanthuna".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Upanayanam is a Sacred thing which is done to a Vadu, a Brahmin boy who's at a Age of 9 to 15
The Purpose of this is to take him to Guru. he's a Thvijan (Marupirapu), where his father is bringing him near to Bramhan.

Inorder a Person (MAle) to learn Veda, Upanayanam (Yagnopaveedam) is Must.
When veda vyasar recognized that women and set of varna are not eligible to recite vedas, he have created the Ithigasa Puranangal, to let Sthri (women) know about the Veda Saram.

Girls have Authority do Varalakmi pooja, Karadian Noombu, Navarathri.
Men will be doing Gayathri, avaniavattam, Homam etc....
Everyone cannot do all Achara Anustanam, each one have their own Anustana,

"Sigam Suthram Cha Pundaram cha Samayacharameva cha
Purvai-Racharitha Kuriyath Aniyatha Pathitho Bavath"

This Hymn Says that "Purvai-Racharitha Kuriyath" Un Purvigargal eppadi seithargalo appadiyae pannu" if any of my ancestors have did yagnopaveetham for women , so i will follow the same.

Thanks,
Sriram

At Vaishavi temple, Thirumullaivayil, Chennai we permit ladies to perform poojas directly to Devi. We don't discriminate people based on religon, caste, race, gender etc.

Sri Vaishnavi Shrine, Aavadi (Chennai)

All the best

Itt is'nt Discrimination, Authourity given to each persons,

Say there is a Terrorist and a Press Repote Goes along with an SI and 4 police man. I a Long distance Press repoter have saw the Terorist,he orders the Police man to Go and Catch him. Will the Go ?

The Order need to be given by the person who has authority. Similarly, it's not like all should'nt do anything related to vedic Scripts. It's been divided and given to people appropriately,

Ithigasa puranas can be recited by womens - which has the vedic sara.

There is'nt any discrimination over here.

Mother would have bought few sweets, she knows her elder son is fond of Laddu she gives it to him. his daughter is fond of rasagulla she gives it to her. She could have divided and give it to both, but she want them to completely have happiness in having the whole thing.

So when Veda vyasa found , People interprets vedas meaning; he have divided into four and each peple were asked to recite their part.

Thanks ,
Sriram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back