• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

women :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara Walters of Television's 20/20 did a story on gender roles in
> Kabul , Afghanistan , several years before the Afghan conflict. She
> noted that women customarily walked 5 paces behind their husbands.
> She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind
> their husbands. From Ms. Walter's vantage point, despite the overthrow
> of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem to walk even
> further back behind their husbands and are happy to maintain the old
> custom.
>
> Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, "Why do you > now seem happy with the old custom that you once tried so desperately to change?"
>
> The woman looked Ms. Walters straight in the eyes, and without
> hesitation said, "Land mines."
>
>
>
> BEHIND EVERY MAN IS A VERY SMART WOMAN
>
>

Nice for laughing purpose.
But being a woman do you think that we are like the one mentioned in your post?

Dear Bhooma, the men are in search of chances to pinpoint womenfolk. They utilise evey possible opportunity to find the mistakes in us. In such a situation, you are giving "aval" for their "verum vaai".

"BEHIND EVERY MAN IS A VERY SMART WOMAN"

I don't agree with this. Do you really mean this?

Great future | Battles ahead

Ms Kothai,

Ms Bhooma's post was a joke but you have raised an important point. Running the risk of turning this into a heavy duty discussion under "Jokes category", i have to state the following :

a) I do accept the fact that men are domineering. But i hope you will agree with me that situation is changing.

b) Women liberation in my view is a direct function of Education. I tend to think that there is a stark difference in the treatment of women in urban & rural areas. Wherever women had access to education, they have liberated themselves from the shackles.

c) The greatest tribute i would pay to the Indian woman is the fact that she has achieved whatever she has without any "crutches". It is the relentless pursuit of merit that has opened the avenues for the woman.

d) Any educated, right thinking male today will view woman as his partner in progress. However they are slow in making the transition.

e) Even now, considerable pages of vernacular magazines are wasted on 'silly household jokes' like male cooking, MIL-DIL fights etc.. This indicates that some cynicism still exists on the "perceived roles" of woman in the household. Trust me this will change.

f) Women also have to voice their protest against what i call mis-representation in the soaps. I can see "doormat woman", "bullying woman", "scheming woman", "sacrificial lamb woman" in the soaps but not the "real woman". I don't know how you feel, but i am amazed that there has been no protest at such cliches being played day in day out.

A critical point of decision for the women in the near future will be the issue of "women reservation". Almost all political parties have double standards on this issue. Especially the casteist parties who will be then forced to alter their game plan.

I will be watching with interest whether women would "cut across caste, region & religion" boundaries, think & operate as a block. The KKKs will hate it if you can do it, they will find ways & means of suppressing the "cartelling of women".

Another point of interest is what will the women do with the "political power". It is one matter to press for share in political power, but i hope there is a game plan on how to go about utilising it.

However there is one area where women have a clear USP - Education. With boys busy in all "extra curricular activities", women have clearly overtaken them in excellence in education. This is sure ticket to success which no force can stop.

Few years down the line, i guess it will be the male who will left hoping that the woman can take him in her pursuit of glory.

Kothai

This particular piece was sent under the jokes category and was meant to be taken as one !! I didnt come prepared for a full length discussion on whether this would be aval for the men !!!

Amidst all the good work that this forum is doing , I thot it was wonderful that people did take time to send in jokes and thot I would also contribute!!! Looks like I was wrong :)

Hari .. heard quite a lot about you from LQ and Silverfox and Praveen .. maybe we can have a full length discussion ( on the one above ) once we forum members get a chance to meet :)

till then.. Kothai .. I hope you can take this just as a joke.. and maybe we can discuss on this through our private e mails . I would most welcome it :)

Dear Bhooma,

I didn't mean to hurt you in any way. Sorry if I did that.
The fact is I can't actually accept such remarks about fellow women, even as a joke and when it was from a woman I couldn't control myself.
Pl don't restrain yourself in contributing jokes due to this.

I am also eager to know you and have contact with you.
I thank Mr.Hari for exhibiting such respect for us.
I think we can discuss on this issue in the "Discussions" forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back