• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wise and Wordly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Thers is a strong reason why we find the psyche of more and more brahmins is undergoing a change. The Indian society is becoming increasingly global in its outlook and has assumed aggressiveness, openness etc. as ways of expression and interaction. The typical soft natured, god fearing brahmin is more and more finding his qualities anachronistic and feels that he needs to adapt his personality to be in tune with the times. The problem is once you give up one of your core values, others fall in quick succession.

The million dollar question is: Is the above good or bad for the brahmins and for the country?. I think it is bad for both. For the brahmin it is the way to survive and that is bad because he has to think in terms of survival. The country too suffers being deprived of some of the finer qualities of a section of its population which it could have possibly employed to its advantage.

Is there any way out of this? The answer lies in the transcending of the varna differences by the brahmin and adopt the behavior of each varna as appropriate. For example he should be a brahmin and be true to his nature when it comes to matters of mind and heart and follow kshatritya behavior when it comes to situation where valor is required and a vaishya when he needs to use the guile etc. Thus at the level of the soul he is a brahmin but adopts the behavior of other varnas externally when the situation warrants.

The judicious interchange of the roles should happen with the principle that because of donning a role lower in the hierrarchy will he be allowing the perpetuating of adharma had he not? say, use of guile against the wicked a la Lord Krishna

For example he should be a brahmin and be true to his nature when it comes to matters of mind and heart and follow kshatritya behavior when it comes to situation where valor is required and a vaishya when he needs to use the guile etc. Thus at the level of the soul he is a brahmin but adopts the behavior of other varnas externally when the situation warrants.
Dear Sravna
When a brahmin adopts the valor of a kshatriya or the guile of a vaishya, is he not losing the
so called core values attributed to him?Also I can't understand the meaning of this sentence "Thus at the level of the soul he is a brahmin ".
regards

Dear Sri sravana Ji,

Let me fashion somewhat an answer for you.

From Vedic times, I understand the role of a Brahmin is to uplift and safeguard the lives of those who are not Brahmins - especially the lives of those at the bottom rung of the society, namely the Shudras, from that time. Why? Because it was meritocracy at it's best, more than the trite saying 'Nobless Oblige', from the western perspective. Our clan as Brahmins was created as the selfless people, whose only goal in life was to live a life of service to others.

But as we all know, this has degenerated over time and here we are today, where we really do not know who we are.

Some advocate going back and others tell us to move forward. But let us look at the reality. We have to make sure that youngsters like you do not lose your identity at the same time succeed in this world.

How does one do that?

It is done with a bit of tight rope walking. One can not be of a real service to mankind, if one has a big ego. Ego and selfishness go together.

But then, one can not succeed in the modern world without an ego. Here in lies the conundrum.

So, how does one resolve this?

Please first become successful - with God given talents- but then always remember you are a Brahmin and what that entails in terms of values.

You know, our dharma is to take care of the whole society, including the animals. If one brings this concept of selfless living, then in my book, one is a Brahmin.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Sravna
When a brahmin adopts the valor of a kshatriya or the guile of a vaishya, is he not losing the
so called core values attributed to him?Also I can't understand the meaning of this sentence "Thus at the level of the soul he is a brahmin ".
regards

Dear Shri Saarangam,

By the above I mean he should adopt the best qualities of the four types. To elucidate let us consider brahman which is perfectly balanced. It doesn't have an excess of brahmin quialities or kshatriya qualities etc but there is a overall balance. Thus if brahman takes an avatar and lives a human life its behavior would be one of right one at the right time.

This is especially necessary in a kali yuga when values alone cannot triumph. It has be laced with worldliness and pragmatism for one to succeed and thrive. Thus by displaying the behavior of other types, a brahmin is only enhancing his qualities. The ultimate consideration should be whether we are making dharma sustain and it is upon that yardstick the loftiness of any vaue should be judged. I think brahmin in a general sense beiong an upholder of values is justified in doing the above and still be called a brahmin given the peculiarity of the situation. If he can do that successfully, he in fact becomes an exalted brahmin.

At soul level he is a brahmin because by nature he has only brahmin qualities but to the external world he employs other qualities subject to the principle I mentioned above.

Last edited:
What Shri Sravana wanted and treated in reply by Shri KRS is already taking place in subtle manner. We do not have to hang out hoardings to declare the process. Shri Sravana is right that we are always useful to society. But the kazhakakoottangal thought otherwise. The State of Tamilnadu today tells a lot of difference from the State of TN till Shri Kamaraj’s (who was also a spiter of the community)rule. Kazhakangal wanted money and the Brahmins did not have to give. Now all OTHERs all over from are funding them and their kin.
வந்தவரை வாழவைக்கும் தமிழகம் இருந்தவரை ஓட்டிவிட்டு வேடிக்கை பார்த்துக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறது.

Think of it this way also Shri.Saarangam Ji. These are my views and interpretation: The stage of evolution for a brahmin is the last stage in evolution and that is becoming one with brahman. Brahman has no qualities in excess. A brahmin who has an excess of sattvic qualities should have those qualities balanced. There are good and bad rajasic qualities. Thus he is exposed to both, the former in the first two yugas and the latter in the last two yugas. The soul learns that only the good ones are beneficial and the bad ones are detrimental due to its expereinces and acquires the right rajasic qualities and the right and balanced mix of qualities and so on

Thus in a kali yuga especially excess of sattvic qualities is not good and atleast in the way of interaction a right mix of qualities need to be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back