• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

WHY RETURNING TO THE STARTING PLACE ON THE 9th DAY PROHIBITED

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m.r.moorthi

Respected members,

We generally/some times strictly follow a tradition of avoiding the return on the 9th day to the original starting place.What is the significance behind this & is it really inauspicious & to be followed so strictly?

I am sure learned members can throw some light on this.

regards,
Moorthi

Respected members,

We generally/some times strictly follow a tradition of avoiding the return on the 9th day to the original starting place.What is the significance behind this & is it really inauspicious & to be followed so strictly?

I am sure learned members can throw some light on this.

regards,
Moorthi

Is this posted on a wrong section of the forum? Kindly suggest on which section of this forum this question is to be posted to receive the relevant answers.
Regards,
M.R.Moorthi

Dear Sir,

You are right. This question might have been posted in 'Rituals, ceremonies.....' section.

Anyway, as far as I know, this is the reason:

When there is a demise of a member, the close relatives who participate in the 10th day rituals, assemble in that h
ouse on the

9th night and hence it is considered inauspicious. But, elders also say that, if by chance one has to return on the 9th night to

the residence, he / she has to sit on the 'aattukkal' for a few minutes as a 'parihaaram'! (We may have to replace the 'aattukkal'

with a grinder, now a days.... :D

Regards .........

Of all the nine numbers, 9 is peculiar in that you add another or multiply with another 9, you get same nine. If you have started on unpleasant journey, not returning on ninth ensures no repeat. If on pleasant journey, then count the expenses. Number 8 has different connotation. This is my explanation, and let me see whether it holds water! In a broader perspective the whole idea is to restrict people from hopping here and there inconveniencing self and others.

Grinder can be a machine or a man too. Like one who writes, is a writer, one who drives is driver and one who grinds is also grinder. Running nose and smelly feet are different from the above genre.

namaste.

English is funny language, where the 'er' suffix does not necessarily attribute respect to a person (as in Tamizh):

• One who drives a car is a car driver, but that which drives a screw is a screw driver!

• One who cooks is only a cook, but that which cooks is a cooker!

• In the case of grinding, however, both one and that which grinds is a grinder!

Grinder can be a machine or a man too. Like one who writes, is a writer, one who drives is driver and one who grinds is also grinder. Running nose and smelly feet are different from the above genre.

Grinder can be a machine or a man too. Like one who writes, is a writer, one who drives is driver and one who grinds is also grinder. ..........
Dear Sir,

Do you mean to say that all the writers in this forum are 'typewriters'?? :decision:

What ever rituals are done, after the demise of a person, are prohibited during normal days.

A few examples:

Namaskaram to the South direction.

Washing the house after a person leaves the house.

Lighting a 'deepam' after a person leaves the house.

Serving food in the clockwise direction.

Crying while taking head bath.

Having a head bath at late night.

Making rice balls with the cooked rice while eating.

The list goes on and on and on...........

Actually, during the last rites and the following rituals, all abnormal activities are done!

Hence, the return on the 9th day, though to one's own residence, is not advised.

The same question appeared in the 'Rituals..... ' section and Sri. Gopalan has given a prompt answer.

I was thinking that it is inauspicious to return home on the 9th night, after a travel. Now I can do so without inhibition! :thumb:

Why do Tamilians have so many superstitious "rituals". They loose at least 30% of their useful life due to these unnecessary created "rituals". If a so called ritual is scientific, it must be universal. Let us say that "you must not return on 9th day" is valid one. Why does it only apply to Tamilians. What about 99% of humanity that is oblivious to it. So either Tamilians have this wonderful knowledge, or they are ?????.

So either Tamilians have this wonderful knowledge, or they are ?????.
(Sorry for typos if any)
நூறும், பத்தும் = நூத்தி பத்து
முன்னூறும், பத்தும் = முன்னூத்தி பத்து
அறநூரும், பத்தும் = அறநூத்தி பத்து

தொன்னூரும் பத்தும் = ??

Why do Tamilians have so many superstitious "rituals". They loose at least 30% of their useful life due to these unnecessary created "rituals". If a so called ritual is scientific, it must be universal. Let us say that "you must not return on 9th day" is valid one. Why does it only apply to Tamilians. What about 99% of humanity that is oblivious to it. So either Tamilians have this wonderful knowledge, or they are ?????.

I always wondered about rebirth if we are to be reborn as per the Hindu beliefs, then where do the swiss, german & african atma come from ???

the irony is that

if the chinese practice feng shui, its perfectly normal

if we install tortoises, and laughing budhas and god know what we will be very fortunate

we will have gypsy tarrot cards read

but WE HAVE SUCH A LOW SELF ESTEEM TOWARDS OUR OWN HINDU PRACTICES.

The inauspicious deeds I have mentioned in my post are for Tambrams and not ALL the Tamilians. We have many rituals after the

demise of a person and do not want to do them in the normal way! Probably that is the reason for such beliefs.
Please go to the following link for some interesting info!! :ranger:

UK Superstition
Survey

I always wondered about rebirth if we are to be reborn as per the Hindu beliefs, then where do the swiss, german & african atma come from ???
Do you think Hindus will be reborn as Hindus? No way....

The next birth may be a non Hindu OR even a dog, a rat or a pig, according to the deeds in this birth.

These beliefs might be true but they are SURE to make the behaviour better - of course for those who believe!

Now you can guess why violence and crimes are on the increase in India?

This is an interesting subject about which I have pondered over many times, but could not get a convincing answer, since It is a matter of faith. I wish to share a few lines of my opinion on this subject.

When logic fails, superstition enters. A random occurring in life may strengthen the superstition.This can be seen in many walks of life. Superstitious beliefs are methodically passed on generation to generation, with add-ons like anecdotal tales and make belief stories. Superstitions are prevalent in almost all cultures and nationalities. Interestingly superstitious beliefs prevalent more in people like athletes, artists and gamblers who try to control the events in life than others. It is my opinion we Indians are more prone to superstitions than many other nationalities. The reasons may be numerous, like cultural, religious, social or historical.

I found one thing for certain, that is, coming out of superstitious belief is very difficult.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

IMO more than logic failing it is more of not worrying about the logic. It is blind belief. Some may have a rational basis and some may be irrational. The latter is difficult to eliminate as it is because of inherent weakness of human mind which cuts across cultures and nationalities. Even the personal irrational beliefs are no better than superstitions. There seems to be more prevalence of superstitions in our culture because faith is an important aspect of our culture.

I do not believe in the existing superstitions. But I have my OWN!

I wear the lucky saree for travel in trains and switch on one electric lamp near Lord Balaji before getting out of our sweet home! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back