• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do we keep believing in superstitions and foist it on others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Renuka,

Rahu Kalam & Shani Dasa are rooted in Astrology. But you went saying that if Rahu Kalam in India starts at 8:51 am, then it is 11:25 in Malayasia, blah blah blah.

Pl be consistent, if astrology is a science, then it follows by your own logic that Rahu Kalam has a basis OR oh, wait, you want to argue selectively !! LOL !!

I did not equate astrology to superstitions – please read my post carefully – some superstitions have the basis/rooted in our ancient astrology, rest are passed down the generations !!. that’s does not mean astrology = superstitions. Pl read & understand clearly before responding - LOL !!

Not only am I laughing at you, the entire world is laughing at your response !!
Cheers,

Dear Jaykay,

I have no problems admitting my mistakes and stupidity.

What I was trying to say its that the moment is the same..no matter if time differs..the moment is the same.

Like now you are laughing at me its about 11.25am in India(good time for you cos you are so happy!LOL) and its "bad time" for me cos the whole world is laughing at me according to you(1.57pm here)

So you see good and bad time is subjective and relative!

Yes astrology can be considered a science provided the astrologer knows his stuff but no matter what even if astrology is a science or even medical science is a science GOD can OVER RULE anything if He wills.

I can certify any patient dead but its is God who finally decides if God wants to restart the patients heart after we send him to the morgue.(cases have happened..pronounced dead but patient wakes up after sometime)

And God knows the LOGIC of even OVER RULING.

BTW I had a good time laughing at you and also happy that I gave you a good time laughing at me and gave the whole world a good time laughing at me and may be you too!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

You have been attacking the so called 'non traditionalists' (who ever they are here, I do not know), with unsavoury remarks and personal attacks. I have warned you before. Please take this as a final warning and anymore posts like this one, we will ban you as a member.

Regards,
KRS

To all the traditionalists - Some people are hallucinating under ignorance & think they are better than the combined wisdom of our ancients. It is dangerous to wake up a sleeping dog, let them be in their state so they do not get up to become an Asura and bite. of course they need immediate professional help for confusing their stupidity with intelligence & they need a strong steel room so that they can bounce around & hit themselves to oblivion !! LOL !

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

You have been attacking the so called 'non traditionalists' (who ever they are here, I do not know), with unsavoury remarks and personal attacks. I have warned you before. Please take this as a final warning and anymore posts like this one, we will ban you as a member.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS ji,

I just wish to bring to your attention that Jaykay ji' s post was in response to one of the members reply to my posts.

I feel both the so called traditionalists and so called non traditionalists in this thread have been responding to each other in a sort of "humuros attack" manner if you ask me...for example Jaykay ji and I have been exchanging views in many posts today filled with LOLs.

So I wonder why the red ink?

Please do not take this as me questioning the moderation but just letting you know that Jaykay ji's post did not seem like a personal attack.

Last edited:
Dear Jaykay ji,

So the least you could do is try to find some reasonable logical answer to prove your point and who knows all of us non traditionalist might get your point.

When you could not logically prove the existence of God and Spirituality to the utmost satisfaction of Atheists, how on Earth you demand logical explanations on Superstitions (that's been justified by Mr.Jaykay as faith, that stood the test of time and have been passed on over generations)?

LOL!!

When you could not logically prove the existence of God and Spirituality to the utmost satisfaction of Atheists, how on Earth you demand logical explanations on Superstitions (that's been justified by Mr.Jaykay as faith, that stood the test of time and have been passed on over generations)?

LOL!!

I think in some other thread..someone else who was defending tradition and culture did tell me that my question in that thread was like the impossible to answer question of "does God exists?" when I asked where in the Vedas does it say that the Vedas does not support those who do not follow Aacharam?

To which I replied that that question is not impossible to answer and the answer is just one word "Bhava".

This is what I find it weird...even among Theist they themselves doubt the existence of God but yet everyone fights tooth and nail to defend superstition.

So therefore to many here..they feel they have to prove that God exists but superstition need not be proved!LOL

Enna Kodumai Sir Ithu? LOL

Last edited:
I dunno why few members are cheating themselves by thinking they aren't being antagonistic just because they put a LOL with capital letters no less and it seems this lolling business is catching! Why not live and let live. Those who want to believe, believe and those that don't, don't. Many people seem to have way too much time on their hands :)

Swami Vivekananda said:
"I would rather have every one of you be rank atheists than superstitious fools. There is no mystery in religion. Mystery mongering and superstition are always signs of weakness. These are always signs of degradation and of death. Therefore beware of them; be strong, and stand on your own feet."

The masses assume that by worshipping idols, their sins will be forgiven and they will be rewarded in this life as well as after life. Only under that notion, they perform costly pilgrimages to the so called holy places and fill the temple coffers with money and valuables. This illusion prevents people from acquiring worldly wisdom. It also averts people from realizing the value of thought and work. As a result, people live in vain hope. They expect wonders to happen in their lives. Under this false hope, they don’t involve themselves in any productive and creative activities sincerely. This wrong mental attitude towards life and work acts as a major hurdle to our progress.
In India, superstitions’ hold over the people is strong since the hereditary priestly class cunningly rationalize all superstitions and refer them as values and customs of Hindu religion. Secondly, the caste-based setup confuses our people and make them fatalistic. Caste-based customs and values spread slavish servility. These things collectively deaden the reasoning brain of our people and strengthens the roots of superstitions in Indian society.
Stressing the importance of ‘spirit of enquiry’ the famous rationalist R.G.Ingersoll (1833-1899) says, “Man should think; he should use all his senses; he should examine; he should reason. The man who cannot think is less than man; the man who will not think is a traitor to himself. The man who fears to think is superstitions’ slave.
As per this yardstick, large number of Indians are the slaves of superstitions since they fear to doubt their beliefs and put them to logical and rational analysis. By performing meaningless rituals and ceremonies, they imagine themselves as religious and pious. They are unaware that they are ignorant. To change the condition, spirit of enquiry needs to be encouraged at all levels. People should be motivated to think rationally and review all our values. They should be encouraged to discard the useless and senseless values and at the same time abide by the meaningful values.
Many societies were in a similar condition and by discarding useless values they became progressive. For instance, Japan kicked off the useless rites and rituals and became a powerful nation. Russia dropped many religious customs and became a healthy nation. Recently, many African countries dropped faith in sorcery and black magic and became progressive. These are the lessons to us. They indicate that we should develop a scientific temper in our society; that we should discard all superstitious ideas doled out to us in the name of tradition and that we should get rid of all anarchistic customs and beliefs. A revolution in the world of ideas is the need of the hour.

Superstitions are like parasites

A black cat crossing your path brings bad luck; sighting a eunuch en route to an important assignment assures success; a sneeze just before starting something is inauspicious; dogs whining at night signal bad news coming in soon… The list of superstitious beliefs harbored by Indians is seemingly endless. These beliefs also vary across different regions and religions. For rationalists, such beliefs are an indication of a weak mind.

Faith or ‘blind’ faith
There is a thin line between faith and obsession. We must draw that line as soon as our faith begins to bring negativity in our outlook. Can one really wear the same pinstriped shirt for every important presentation? Can important decisions be delayed and valuable contracts given away, just because ‘raahu-kaalam’ came in at that time?

You may not get a second chance (always).
'Opportunity knocks but once'

This idiom means that you only get one chance to achieve what you really want to do.

So if your opportunity comes even in rahu kalam, grab it and ride to success. It may never happen again.

So if your opportunity comes even in rahu kalam, grab it and ride to success. It may never happen again.

When opportunity knocks the door no one would lose it, no matter Rahu Kalam, Ashtami etc..etc or arrive at a grave yard or while attending nature's call. LOL!!

When people tend to initiate expecting positive results for their actions, people tend to look for all these kaalam, neram, thithi, kazhamai etc..etc, that too only when waiting for such auspicious time does not leads to complications and disaster

The believers should apply some rationality too in their mundane life and stick to all these superstition only when that can do no harm.

Being a christian I used to have a dig at my brahmin friends regarding superstitions. The explanations they gave for some them seems genuine.

As regards holding back money on pay day, it was a precaution exercised, the following day being a holiday, there would be a temptation to spend lavishly and suffer towards the end of the month. However it may be relaxed in case of emergency and genuine need of money.

While it is alright to walk against the direction of a corpse, it is advised not to walk in the same direction lest one is mis-considered as a kith and kin of the dead and put to embarrassment. However a distance shall be maintained while walking the direction of a corpse.

As regards wallking under a ladder, if there is platform on top and if there is likelihood of someone descending down then one is advised not to risk walking under the ladder.

When opportunity knocks the door no one would lose it, no matter Rahu Kalam, Ashtami etc..etc or arrive at a grave yard or while attending nature's call. LOL!!

When people tend to initiate expecting positive results for their actions, people tend to look for all these kaalam, neram, thithi, kazhamai etc..etc, that too only when waiting for such auspicious time does not leads to complications and disaster

The believers should apply some rationality too in their mundane life and stick to all these superstition only when that can do no harm.
I would like to confirm your post. (no pun).
Are we agreeing to an extent?

Dear KRS ji,

I just wish to bring to your attention that Jaykay ji' s post was in response to one of the members reply to my posts.

I feel both the so called traditionalists and so called non traditionalists in this thread have been responding to each other in a sort of "humuros attack" manner if you ask me...for example Jaykay ji and I have been exchanging views in many posts today filled with LOLs.

Please do not take this as me questioning the moderation but just letting you know that Jaykay ji's post did not seem like a personal attack.

Hi Renuka,

Despite our differences, back & forth comments, really appreciate your objectivity!! I am sure we will continue to tee off with each other on many more such subjects !! :) :)

Cheers,
JK

Dear Srimathi Renuka Ji,

Moderation takes in to account many factors. Only the Moderators know the whole picture.

Putting a 'LOL' behind nasty personal statements repeatedly does not make these 'humerous'. Moderators are responsible for moderating the tone and tenor of civilized discussion in this Forum.

You are correct; in the future if you have any suggestions/questions on any moderation, please follow the instructions and requests repeatedly made here by both myself and Sri Praveen Ji. Write us via PM.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS ji,

Hi Renuka,

Despite our differences, back & forth comments, really appreciate your objectivity!! I am sure we will continue to tee off with each other on many more such subjects !! :) :)

Cheers,
JK

Dear Jaykay ji,

You see if everyone keeps agreeing with what I write then Forum will become boring....I also need some members to argue with!LOL

You are correct; in the future if you have any suggestions/questions on any moderation, please follow the instructions and requests repeatedly made here by both myself and Sri Praveen Ji. Write us via PM.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS ji,

Aye Aye Sir!

will do so in future.

The starting point to shaping our own fate is to abandon the cowardly attitude of blaming other people or our environment for our present unhappiness or mistakes; we must adopt the stance that "everything is our own responsibility." In addition, it is important to change the state of our mind, reflect on the tendencies of our own soul and break free from committing the same mistakes again.

I personally have a mixed take on the so-called superstitions. I mean I wouldn't know which are superstitions and which are not unless of course, I am the know-all.

And frequently, I have found that certain days (Ashtami, Navami) do not give desired results for certain works. Maybe due to inefficient planning or lazy thinking, but that it had to happen on an ash/nav?

Cat crossing, from the right to the left (along the sweeping motion) is ok (dont ask what if the person is left-handed), but the other is not - I have not noticed anything so far on this, but who knows.

Again the everpresent lizard - the list goes on.

Yes, the power to shape up mud and clay and our fate is in our own hands, but I feel that we are governed by so many variables, most of which we may never really understand. The set of "age old beliefs" (a better word than superstition) is one such poke into the unfathomable based on experiences.

I personally have a mixed take on the so-called superstitions. I mean I wouldn't know which are superstitions and which are not unless of course, I am the know-all.

And frequently, I have found that certain days (Ashtami, Navami) do not give desired results for certain works. Maybe due to inefficient planning or lazy thinking, but that it had to happen on an ash/nav?

Cat crossing, from the right to the left (along the sweeping motion) is ok (dont ask what if the person is left-handed), but the other is not - I have not noticed anything so far on this, but who knows.

Again the everpresent lizard - the list goes on.

Yes, the power to shape up mud and clay and our fate is in our own hands, but I feel that we are governed by so many variables, most of which we may never really understand. The set of "age old beliefs" (a better word than superstition) is one such poke into the unfathomable based on experiences.

Age old beliefs is surely a better term than superstitions. My own view on these things is that such beliefs or indications or omens, etc., should not be allowed to grow so powerfully as to unseat all our rational, right-thinking faculties. In this category, more than ashtami-navami & lizard/cat, are two items ordinarily observed by tabras — paRRu and ecchil (பற்று and எச்சில்). I hope most of our members here are aware of these two. I feel these are good, in moderate measures, for a healthy society/community. But in some households these take the primary importance and then many comic or inconvenient situations are created.

The AOBs are, to my mind, like signboards. But they are not decrees or inviolable edicts. For example take ash-nav; it is not that these two days are completely bad, but not favourable for any new venture. Supposing you have applied for a bank loan and the bank is making you walk without giving a clear yes or no; following it up on an ash-nav day is not at all a bad idea and may be, who knows, you may even get a favourable reply. But it may not be a good idea to start a new business on those two days. Again, supposing one is selected for IAS training and is asked to report at Mussoorie on an ash-nav day; is it correct to refuse the order?

Those who argue against superstition ignore the fact that all of us routinely fail to be logical in both trivial and important matters. We are unduly wishful, unduly frightful or in some way unduly emotional.. It is not possible to be totally logical unless you have won over your emotions. Emotions can cloud each and every aspect of your thinking. It is only that, in the case of a superstition, a number of people have the same non rational view on something. It happens that way because commonality in thinking exists among people and so it is possible that some people have the same view though illogical, on a matter. Or there might be a real basis for the view and that some people perceive it. Thus the view can be either irrational when the logic is faulty or it might lack proper logical elucidation though basically being logical.

The real superstition is the first one but IMO the irrationality we exhibit in our day to day or even important matters calls for a far more serious attention than these superstitions.

My own view on these things is that such beliefs or indications or omens, etc., should not be allowed to grow so powerfully as to unseat all our rational, right-thinking faculties. In this category, more than ashtami-navami & lizard/cat, are two items ordinarily observed by tabras — paRRu and ecchil (பற்று and எச்சில்). I hope most of our members here are aware of these two. I feel these are good, in moderate measures, for a healthy society/community. But in some households these take the primary importance and then many comic or inconvenient situations are created.

The AOBs are, to my mind, like signboards. But they are not decrees or inviolable edicts. For example take ash-nav; it is not that these two days are completely bad, but not favourable for any new venture. Supposing you have applied for a bank loan and the bank is making you walk without giving a clear yes or no; following it up on an ash-nav day is not at all a bad idea and may be, who knows, you may even get a favourable reply. But it may not be a good idea to start a new business on those two days.

I agree with the sentence in bold, but sometimes when we are so tuned to a particular process, it is very different to think "independently".

"Patthu" and "Echil" (P&E) - We follow it very strictly in our house, and even in Abu Dhabi here. I have friends/acquaintances here who do not follow this and I find (though it may not be related and could be a general trend nowadays) that they are less clean about their ways and do not bother washing their hands after picking their teeth, nose or ears... ugh (I will not even do it publicly for that matter). I am generally reluctant to eat from their houses, and if I do so, it is with trepidation. But I find that mostly people are not conscious of E as a hygiene issue at all, and in this sense "E parkaradhu" would serve humanity well !

Similarly like P&E, there is the T (Theetu), which I have not been able to shake off. I will not touch upon this more as it is a hornet's nest.

Reg ash/nav - I wrote the CAT, quite some years ago, and was called up by MICA with an interview & gd, and it was my choice of institute since I preferred the creative arena. I was disappointed when I did not get the final call letter, and thought that I was not selected. However, a month later I received another letter from the institute enquiring as to why I did not join in spite of my high rankings in the int & gd sessions. I was shell shocked, and upon enquiry we found that the offer letter had been delivered to the old address and the new tenant had not bothered to pass it on to us (this in spite of him being an MBA coach, so much so for the irony!). We were just streets apart and had instructed him to deliver any letters/parcels to the next door shopkeeper (whom we knew), but it never happened.

Strange turn of events, and after some astrological analysis, we found out that the "hora" in which the CAT form was signed, was not favourable to my star and would not give good results. Though I have argued many a day with my father as to the veracity of these claims, the fact remains that sometimes, these things have an uncanny way of surfacing. If a person's karma is beneficial then perhaps the effect may be mitigated, I think.

Again, supposing one is selected for IAS training and is asked to report at Mussoorie on an ash-nav day; is it correct to refuse the order?
Personally I would not have joined. I flew to Abu Dhabi on an auspicious day and took up the post formally on a favourable time, in line with my pakshi, and in line with the nakshatra of the day (all seen by my father). Of course, the boss understood :) as otherwise it is doubtful if it would have happened at all, but my father would say that if something is to come your way, then it would come the way you want (doesn't mean that I can idle about and wait ), otherwise just be content with the fact that whatever you are now is the best.

And I believe him.

Last edited:
Those who argue against superstition ignore the fact that all of us routinely fail to be logical in both trivial and important matters. ...........
This need not be all or nothing. I don’t see why superstitious beliefs and practices must be excused because we sometimes act in an emotional way that is not rational.

The case of paRRu and ecchil (பற்று and எச்சில்) is justified by the pretense of health concerns, but in my experience, some of those who are the most strict on these counts are probably the worst when it comes to proper hygiene.

Astami/Navami on the other hand makes no pretense at all, these are the gifts of strong cultural forces we are unable to shake off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back