• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Where the little devil mints money: Kerala village which thrives on Kuttichaathan wor

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Where the little devil mints money: Kerala village which thrives on Kuttichaathan worship

The velichapad is believed to be endowed with godly powers when the chaathan enters his body during which time he comes up with answers to a devotee’s problems.

Known as the cultural capital of Kerala, the Thrissur district embodies the state’s varied traditional art forms and beliefs –a city of temples, elephants, velichapads (oracles) and festivals. It even boasts of a small rural village of Peringottukara where Kuttichaathan (little demon or imp) is worshipped as god.
Anyone passing through the village is sure to come across several luxury cars like the Audi, BMW, Mercedes racing through the small by-lanes, making one wonder why they were there.

Enquire at a nearby shop and prompt comes the reply: “They come to meet Kuttichaathan. He has devotees from all across the state as well as from across the state-border.”

Peringottukara has a number of kuttichaathan temples most of them attached to a tharavadu (ancestral home), all boasting of a heritage not less than a couple of decades at least.

See more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...tichaathan-worship-38091#sthash.KpVjTEmd.dpuf

In Kerala is considered as the most literate state. But the business of black magic / witch craft thrives very well, there.

Even other religions are no exceptions, in this field.

In Kerala is considered as the most literate state. But the business of black magic / witch craft thrives very well, there.

Even other religions are no exceptions, in this field.

I think literacy and faith are two different perceptions. Being literate makes you understand things, analyze them and prove their existence with scientific support. Where as faith believes in blind support of things you had been hearing from time to time or may be from generations which you still want to believe even though no specific proof to do so. On many occasions faith prevails over science where there is nothing to lose. I know many people who says they have been benefited with such kind of activities and believes, where the results they got in their favor were due to efforts taken otherwise.

I think literacy and faith are two different perceptions. Being literate makes you understand things, analyze them and prove their existence with scientific support. Where as faith believes in blind support of things you had been hearing from time to time or may be from generations which you still want to believe even though no specific proof to do so. On many occasions faith prevails over science where there is nothing to lose. I know many people who says they have been benefited with such kind of activities and believes, where the results they got in their favor were due to efforts taken otherwise.
Ji ,
It appears you don't have any direct experience.... only hearsay.

I have heard a lot about Kuttichaatans.

I know a person who told me that her maternal grandmother had a Kuttichaatan and it has to be kept busy otherwise it would get restless.

After the Chataans work for the day is over..the Chaatan is made to count sand from a heap of sand and it seems the Chataan would happily count sand when its off duty...the Chaatan must be literate to be able to count!LOL

The person who told me claims that she has seen the Chaatan sitting in a corner at her grandmums house..it seems it resembles a huge rodent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back