• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Where pride ends, vanity begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

21_EPBS_NARCISSISM_2781251e.jpg

I can get the avatar pictures, but could not get the actual picture I had in mind. LOL

Why do we wish to be remembered by people who never knew us personally? And what do we long to be remembered for? Our financial power and generosity? The work we achieved thanks to the co-operation of colleagues, not to mention favourable circumstances? To be sure, feeling happy about one’s success is not wrong. But, I’m never sure where permissible pride ends and vanity begins. To complicate matters, permissible pride in oneself is often vanity in others. So I thought I would seek to understand this with my readers through examples and reflections.
ANONYMOUS BENEFACTORA few weeks after her passing, the family of a surgeon found papers relating to a substantial donation she had made to a hospital to build a ward for children. This great lady’s only condition: total anonymity. To this day, outside her immediate family, no one knows of her magnanimity which made possible the care, comfort and cure of countless children. This is true service: helping unknown beneficiaries, and negating the self from the giving.
How different this is from grandiose statements and plaques fixed outside halls, charitable institutions, even structures on sanctified premises which proclaim the generosity of the donor complete with name and figure. Mind you, the donors are kind and open-handed people, but, for them, the contribution they make has to be recorded for posterity, often, literally carved in stone. Another example is the poor relation whose gratitude for his support is expected to be expressed personally and publicly — and sometimes even carried over to the next generation.
Another kind of vanity has nothing to do with giving but everything to do with a person’s grandiose opinion of himself. Let us look at a man who constantly lectures everyone about his own moral worth, about how outstanding and honest he is and how everyone else should be like him. He truly believes that no one has overcome adversity and resisted temptation as successfully as he. The truth is that he is unfeeling and disdainful; he talks about compassion but lacks it; he writes about caring and being responsible but stops with writing. He is blind to the fact that his actions do not match his words, and a conversation with him is impossible, because you’ll need all the angels to save you if you disagree with him. If only he had read Blaise Pascal — “Do you wish people to think well of you? Don't speak well of yourself.” What a pity that this brilliant personality is incapable of seeing or acknowledging any virtue or good quality in anyone but himself.
I’m certain that we all think about the difference between pride and vanity. Family pride, caste pride, national pride are words that are used quite frequently. What are these words worth? “Where’s your pride? Are you going to sit around feeling sorry for yourself? Get up and do something!” is what a person who is facing a temporary bad patch is told. Sometimes pride blocks us from expressing our true feelings for fear that we might be rejected or laughed at. Sometimes pride helps us, not permitting us to lower ourselves when we are afraid or in need but are hesitant to ask.

We should be scared when we look in the mirror and this image stares back at us.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/ed...e-and-vanity/article8374769.ece?homepage=true

Last edited:
Where pride ends humility begins, it would be a welcome sign.
Where pride ends vanity (synonyms with pride) begins, the attitude will get reduced not vanished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back