• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

When Alexander The Great was defeated by a Sanyasi(Monk).!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

When Alexander- the Great, visited India after conquering all the other countries in the world that were known to him, he wanted to see the strange Indians of whom he had been hearing so much. He was just led to a monk/sanyasi or priest on the bank of the Indus river. The monk lay there on the sands, bare-footed, naked, wearing no clothes and not knowing where from his tomorrow's food was to come, just lying there and basking in the sun. Meditating for the enhancement of the self and for the well being of the Universe.

Alexander, the Great, with his crown shining, dazzling with the brilliant diamonds and gems that he had got from Persia, stood beside him in all his glory. Beside him was the monk with no clothes on -what a contrast, what a contrast! The riches of the whole world represented by the body of Alexander on one side, and all the outward poverty represented by the saint on the other side! But you have simply to look at their faces to be convinced of the poverty or riches of their true souls.The Faqir was seating fearlessly infront of the world conqueror.

Look at the beaming countenance of the saint, the happy, joyful face of the saint. Alexander, the Great was struck by his appearance. He fell in love with him, and just asked the saint to come with him to Athence( Greece). The saint laughed, and his answer was: "The world is in Me(Soham..!!!!)." The world cannot contain Me. The universe is in Me. I cannot be confined in the Universe. Greece , Rome and Persia are in Me. The suns and stars rise and set in Me."

Alexander, the Great, not being used to this kind of language, was surprised. He said," I will give you riches and wealth. I will just flood you with worldly pleasures and amneties. All sort of things that people desire, all sorts of things which captivate and charm people will be in wild profusion at your service. Please accompany me to Greece."

The saint laughed, laughed at his reply and said, "There is not a diamond, there is not a sun or star which shines, but to Me is due its luster. To Me is, due the glory of all the heavenly bodies. To Me is due all the attractive nature, all the charms of the things desired. It would be beneath my dignity, it would be degrading on my part, first, to lend the glory and charm to these objects, and then go about seeking them, to go begging at the door of worldly riches, to go begging at the door of flesh and animal desires to receive pleasure, happiness. It is below my dignity. I can never stoop to that level. No I can never go begging at theirs.

This astonished Alexander, the Great. He just drew his sword and was going to strike off the head of that saint. And again the saint laughed a hearty laugh and said, "0 Alexander! never in your life did you speak such a falsehood, such an abominable lie. Kill Me, kill Me!

Where is the sword that can kill Me? Where is the weapon that can wound Me? Where is the calamity that can mar my cheerfulness? Where is the sorrow that can tamper with my Happiness? Everlasting, the same yesterday, today and for ever, pure and holy of holies, the Master of the Universe, that I am.

Even in your hands I am the power that makes them move, 0 Alexander! If this body dies, there I remain, the power that makes your hand move. I am the power that makes your muscles move." The sword fell down from the hands of Alexander. He totally surrendered at the feet of the Master.The Great conqueror of the world was lying near to feet of the Sanyasi(Monk).The sword ,which has claimed thousands life ,was kissing the dust of the Sanyasi feet.Sanyasi said to Alexander The Great,O king awake,arise and leave tis violence,embrace love and affection.You will become universe conqueror!!!!!!! leave aside the mirage of the world Conqueror.Alexander,touched the feet of Sanyaasi and ordered the retreat of his Army from the Indus.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times of India -Uday Kumar

Confused and the More confused. Except for the last part on Compassion.

Why can't such Indian saints chase away the Moghuls?

The sanyasi was lucky that he was talking to Alexander the Great who must have had some spirituality in him to be able to recognize a great soul like the sanyasi.

I don't think present day sanyasis can have such a lengthy conversation with a suicide bomber!!LOL

namaste.

The narration as given here seems to be one made up into an urban legend. A more authentic version of it is perhaps given by YogAnanda in his 'Autobiography', which, briefly, runs as under:

Shortly after the Greek warrior had arrived in Taxila in northern India, he sent a messenger, Onesikritos, a disciple of the Hellenic school of Diogenes, to fetch an Indian teacher, Dandamis, a great sannyasi of Taxila.
"Alexander is no god, since he must taste of death," continued the sage in quiet scorn. "How can such as he be the world's master, when he has not yet seated himself on a throne of inner universal dominion? Neither as yet has he entered living into Hades, nor does he know the course of the sun through the central regions of the earth, while the nations on its boundaries have not so much as heard his name!"

After this chastisement, surely the most caustic ever sent to assault the ears of the "Lord of the World," the sage added ironically, "If Alexander's present dominions be not capacious enough for his desires, let him cross the Ganges River; there he will find a region able to sustain all his men, if the country on this side be too narrow to hold him. 41-4
"Should Alexander cut off my head, he cannot also destroy my soul. My head alone, then silent, will remain, leaving the body like a torn garment upon the earth, whence also it was taken. I then, becoming Spirit, shall ascend to my God, who enclosed us all in flesh and left us upon earth to prove whether, when here below, we shall live obedient to His ordinances and who also will require of us all, when we depart hence to His presence, an account of our life, since He is Judge of all proud wrongdoing; for the groans of the oppressed become the punishment of the oppressor.

"Let Alexander then terrify with these threats those who wish for wealth and who dread death, for against us these weapons are both alike powerless; the Brahmins neither love gold nor fear death. Go then and tell Alexander this: Dandamis has no need of aught that is yours, and therefore will not go to you, and if you want anything from Dandamis, come you to him."

With close attention Alexander received through Onesikritos the message from the yogi, and "felt a stronger desire than ever to see Dandamis who, though old and naked, was the only antagonist in whom he, the conqueror of many nations, had met more than his match."
Alexander succeeded in taking out of India, as his teacher, a true yogi. This man was Swami Sphines, called "Kalanos" by the Greeks because the saint, a devotee of God in the form of Kali, greeted everyone by pronouncing Her auspicious name.

Kalanos accompanied Alexander to Persia. On a stated day, at Susa in Persia, Kalanos gave up his aged body by entering a funeral pyre in view of the whole Macedonian army. The historians record the astonishment of the soldiers who observed that the yogi had no fear of pain or death, and who never once moved from his position as he was consumed in the flames. Before leaving for his cremation, Kalanos had embraced all his close companions, but refrained from bidding farewell to Alexander, to whom the Hindu sage had merely remarked:

"I shall see you shortly in Babylon."

Alexander left Persia, and died a year later in Babylon. His Indian guru's words had been his way of saying he would be present with Alexander in life and death

As to the question why our jnAnis did not drive the Moghuls away, the answer could be that they refrained from intervening the divine will.

well, where is this great country!!!! can we ever see it, live in it, can we claim ever!!! I hope we will over come one day. even a Chanakya can do the trick. where is he!!!

Confused and the More confused. Except for the last part on Compassion.

Why can't such Indian saints chase away the Moghuls?
dear sir !
it is because a gambler can play a interesting game with another gambler where as when he plays with novice it is not since he is not following any rule. it is like Mr. Gandhi 's fast with british & the fast with prsent day politician
guruvayurappan

dear sir !
it is because a gambler can play a interesting game with another gambler where as when he plays with novice it is not since he is not following any rule. it is like Mr. Gandhi 's fast with british & the fast with prsent day politician
guruvayurappan

Seems like, we both agree with the theory of Relativity ;) than one-sided gravity, lol!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back