• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What's Happening in Varanasi, India?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ALL:

I know that Kasi is the Holiest of all places for Hindus - equivalent to Mecca for Muslims.

Here is a video. Please write about this person Shati Lal and about his efforts to clean up Kasi, the problems and promises there.

CJ Shanti Lal battles to save Varanasi's Ghats - Videos - Citizen Journalist - IBNLive

Cheers.

:)

Dear Sri.Yamaka, Greetings.

Kasi is not as equivalent to Mecca. A trip to Kasi in his/her life time is not one of the pillars of faith for a Hindu.

Lal's efforts are commendable. He would make every Indian proud by his efforts to keep the ghats clean. I sincerely hope, religious reasons are not the motivation for him. It is nice to see someone showing the inefficiencies of the municipality.

Cheers!

Whatever happens is good and welcome. But a lot has be done to keep it clean.The Gnages needs to be kept pure.
sundararajan

Dear Sri.Yamaka, Greetings.

Kasi is not as equivalent to Mecca. A trip to Kasi in his/her life time is not one of the pillars of faith for a Hindu.

Lal's efforts are commendable. He would make every Indian proud by his efforts to keep the ghats clean. I sincerely hope, religious reasons are not the motivation for him. It is nice to see someone showing the inefficiencies of the municipality.

Cheers!

I second this comment.
I also would thank Y, for posting this info in the first place.
Mr. Shanti Lal's work must continue.

varanasi,

if the dirt, garbage, rubbish and the cows were swept off, could turn itself, especially near the environs of the ghats, to be a beautiful medieval city, on par with the best of the preserved european cities.

even the ghats, can and should be retained, with its current functionalities, but with an eye on cleanliness, hygiene and above all sensitivities.

to give another example: of how hinduism, hindu temples and environment can be presented and maintained well: just yesterday, we went to the pittsburgh sri venkateswara temple.

admitted it is a rich temple, but very seldom money produces good administration.

i was fortunate enough to witness an elaborate service to perumal, and then we had the most delicious upma, bagaala baath, thayir saadham, puliyodharai.

what was impressive, was the way these were packed, serviced and the service area constantly cleaned, considering the penchant that we hindus have for making environment dirty (yes, we still carry this habit wherever we go).

there were two white guys and one black woman, constantly in attendance of the eating area, wiping the tables, packing off the empty containers left behind. mrs K unfortunately dropped an entire container of sambar saadham on the floor, which was immediately replaced free of cost by the guy at the counter, and even before we could say 'sorry', the white guys had come and cleaned up the place !!

i know this is a small example, but i was comparing this with our own toronto temple. admitted the toronto temple is 3 times as large, andis more eclectic (all deities are present here). but it is a tamil temple, whose smells and atmosphere i love, but whose idea of cleanliness is more madras than toronto.

all i am saying, is that varanasi, and any old indian town for that matter, including mylapore kapali temple, if properly sanitized can be on par with the preserved cities of the west, and be a real source of pride.

best wishes to the cleaning of ganges and sprucing up varanasi. long long overdue. but judging from the corruption in india, i will keep my fingers crossed.

i know this is a small example, but i was comparing this with our own toronto temple. admitted the toronto temple is 3 times as large, andis more eclectic (all deities are present here). but it is a tamil temple, whose smells and atmosphere i love, but whose idea of cleanliness is more madras than toronto.

It is people who matters. I have visited mare than 100 temples in North America. They are usually very clean.
There is saying in Hindi "ghar ki Murgi dal barabar". Sometimes you see more, when you are inside, than when you are visiting. But each organization has its own priorities. The amount of money collected is also a factor in employing outside services.

An Exploration of India: Indian Proverb: “ghar ki murgi, dal barabar.”

I think elderly hindus from Bengal,orissa go and settle down in holy places like Kasi,Ayodhya,Brindavan .
In Sikkism, the concept of 'karseva' or free service is practiced by its followers.In Hinduism this is lacking.
Further all religious places of Hinduism is getting corrupted.In my fist visit to Tirupati,I was advised not to go to
any lodge in lower Tirupati(except Bima central Lodge) for obvious reasons.I saw personally the same undesirable
activities near the temple in 'Yadagirigotta' a famous temple shrine 40 kms from Hyderabad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back