• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What to do with the flowers AFTER they were offered to Perumal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a pranapratishta is not usually done to vigrahas at home which are daily worshipped by a grihasta with all his failings. A picture helps the otherwise busy grihasta and his family members in objectifying the God entity and bringing it within their cenceptual grasp for worshipping. So a picture just represents that God entity as long as it is venerated. When it becomes soiled or torn it becomes just a paper which was a substrate for objectifying the God. The substrate was never supposed to be God entity. I would say just this much.

I do not think you are right here. But different sections may have different opinions and yours may be one among them; I will say why.

When I was a kid, my parents did a kumbabhishekam and prana-prathishta of Mr. Narayanan & Mrs. Lakshmi in our house. The whole agenda lasted for 3 days and ended with a sampradaaya bhajanai.

This was done after consultation with all known veteran vaadhyaars during that time.

That aside. In normal cases, avaahana pujai is done on a kalasam (you may be aware) and with yadha sthanam, the deity is sent back. You could still say this as symbolic but at least there is a ritualistic process of inviting the guest and waving him "tata".

Even a yantra is basically only a piece of scrap until the requisite ritualistic process and due japam is completed. So I have been told.

Photos and pictures are in the residual category. They do not fit in any of the above.

Such things are not subject to whim of individuals to define what they 'think' is right !

Oh ! What have we here !

First of all, it is only a view (even of the orthodoxy), if it can be, regarding the status of the BG. All that the orthodoxy did was to classify it into one or the other based on what they considered best, and based on prevailing logic. It is not something carved in stone and is, like any other such views, subject to be challenged, debated and if necessary changed.

Maybe you dont see it that way ! :)

Not my problem.

Oh ! What have we here !

First of all, it is only a view (even of the orthodoxy), if it can be, regarding the status of the BG. All that the orthodoxy did was to classify it into one or the other based on what they considered best, and based on prevailing logic. It is not something carved in stone and is, like any other such views, subject to be challenged, debated and if necessary changed.

Maybe you dont see it that way ! :)

Not my problem.

It is not about orthodoxy!

It is about cluelessness ! (comment only at the explanation, not at any person!)

For anyone shooting from the hip, nothing is a problem :)

Last edited:
I personally do not have any additional knowledge on this subject.
I agree with Auhji.
Question: Is Bhagavad Gita Shruti or Smriti? Has the Bhagavad Gita become important only recently in the Vedic tradition?Answer: The Bhagavad Gita is essentially Shruti.The definition of Shruti is “thedirect word of God”. Since God Krishna has himself spoken the Bhagavad Gita, from that point of view it is Shruti. However from the point of view of technical classification the Bhagavad Gita falls in the Mahabharata and the Mahabharata is a Smriti literature. Therefore the Bhagavad Gita isalso consideredto be Smriti. However, often in the Vedanta tradition there are three books which are to be commented on by a school of thought if it wants to establish itself as authentic. These are Shruti Smriti and Nyaya. So among the Shruti there is the Upanishads that are to be commented upon, among the Smriti there is the Bhagavad Gita that is to be commented upon, and among Nyaya there is the Vedanta sutras that is to be commented upon. Shankar Acharya, Madhavacharya, Ramanuja Acharya and his followersBaladevVidyabhushan they all have commented on these three (Shruti, Smriti and Nyaya) collectively known as the “PrashtanaTraya”.

Thus the Bhagavad Gita is an extremely important book because it is one of the three pillars of Vedanta. Although it’s a Smriti even then Shankar Acharya, who was an impersonalist, hadacknowledged its importance as being the essence of Shruti. Smriti is considered by some to be of lesser authority than Shruti but Shankaracarya says
Sarvopanisha do gavo dogdha Gopala Nandana Partho vatsah sudhir bhokta dugdha mgitamrtammahat

He says that all the Upanishads are like cow and just like the essence of cow is the milk. Similarly the essence of all the Upanishads is the Bhagavad Gita. Arjuna is the Vatsah. Just like when the Milk comes out from the Cow it’s not only for the calf but for everyone. Similarly the Milk of the Bhagavad Gita is Imeant for “Sudhir” all wise living beings. The Bhagavad Gita is deemed by Shankar Acharya to be the highest culmination or essence of even the Shruti. In that sense it is higher.Technically it may be a Smriti but essentially it’s a Shruti because it is the word of God and also in terms of importance and authority as even the great Acharya like the Shankar Acharya has deemed it as Shruti
Read more at: http://www.thespiritualscientist.co...ortant-only-recently-in-the-indian-tradition/

Last edited:
Shrutis are the sources of knowledge which were revealed by The Parabrahm (The SupremeBeing) himself. Men (Humans) have no control and authority over it. Men can not alter the Shrutis.
Based on the definition of Shruti, it is very clear that even if Shrimad Bhagvat Gita is found in The Mahabharata which is one of the Itihasas (Smrutis), it is actually Shruti as it was revealed by The Lord himself. Humans NEVER had any control or authority over it. Humans will never have any authority over Shrimad Bhagvat Gita.
AND THAT IS WHY

Shrimad Bhagvat Gita is a Shruti along with Vedas and Upanishads.
http://vkms258.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
This Doha is for the know all:

Bada Hua To Kya Hua, Jaise Ped Khajoor
Panthi Ko Chhaya Nahin, Phal Laage Atidoor

doha7_1.gif

Translation
In vain is the eminence, just like a date tree
No shade for travelers, fruit is hard to reach
P16MP022-Kabir-Bada-Hua-To-Kya-Hua-12x18-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
B.Gita does not reveal anything new and like all Smriti it is considered valid because it is aligned with the teachings of the Upanishads. That is why Sri Sankara in his commentary goes to extensive lengths to provide actual references to verses in Upanishads at many places.

It is treated like essence of Upanishads and has a great status. It does not teach about things like 'what to do with a flower that is used for a Puja'

This Doha is for the know all:

Bada Hua To Kya Hua, Jaise Ped Khajoor
Panthi Ko Chhaya Nahin, Phal Laage Atidoor

doha7_1.gif

Translation
In vain is the eminence, just like a date tree
No shade for travelers, fruit is hard to reach
P16MP022-Kabir-Bada-Hua-To-Kya-Hua-12x18-300x300.jpg

Dear prasadji,

LOL.

A request to the elusive copy pasting expert:

I am sorry again. I have not seen a date tree in my life time till now. Is it just as tall as the cactus that grows on the boundaries of our fields in the village or just a variety of grass? Please enlilghten me. I am perhaps a frog in the well. You have posted the picture of a coconut tree that grows in large numbers in our plantation in the village.

This is the problem with copy pasting of dohas from alien culture in the TB Forum. You are speaking about Chicken balls and mutton kebabs to a TB who knows only Pal payasam and akkara Adisil. Try to quote from Tirukkural next time for better effect.

LOL.

Yours truly,

The Know All (I want to flaunt the new acquisition. LOL)

Last edited:
It is not about orthodoxy!

It is about cluelessness ! (comment only at the explanation, not at any person!)

For anyone shooting from the hip, nothing is a problem :)
Alright, if you open a new thread, I will debate it out there. Choice is yours. You seem to have made some lofty statements without bothering to explain your position. Forget about the explanation from my side.

B.Gita does not reveal anything new and like all Smriti it is considered valid because it is aligned with the teachings of the Upanishads. That is why Sri Sankara in his commentary goes to extensive lengths to provide actual references to verses in Upanishads at many places.

It is treated like essence of Upanishads and has a great status. It does not teach about things like 'what to do with a flower that is used for a Puja'
AS does the explanation because he believed in the infalliability of the prasthaana trayi. That even though they may seem to contradict, we have to find/choose an explanation that would be congruent with all of the verses!

You can expound why BG is a smriti and why it cannot be considered a sruti. If you feel you have the know-how, that is.

Dear prasadji,

LOL.

A request to the elusive copy pasting expert:

I am sorry again. I have not seen a date tree in my life time till now. Is it just as tall as the cactus that grows on the boundaries of our fields in the village or just a variety of grass? Please enlilghten me. I am perhaps a frog in the well. You have posted the picture of a coconut tree that grows in large numbers in our plantation in the village.

This is the problem with copy pasting of dohas from alien culture in the TB Forum. You are speaking about Chicken balls and mutton kebabs to a TB who knows only Pal payasam and akkara Adisil. Try to quote from Tirukkural next time for better effect.

LOL.

Yours truly,

The Know All (I want to flaunt the new acquisition. LOL)
I have said it before (it is not a compliment, even though you may take it that way), you are so similar to Trump (he is the republican nominee for president in USA). Too much bluster but no real substance. By your own admission you are the proverbial frog in the pond. You sir, also have trump's panache for insulting others who question your opinion. The similarity is frightening you should read up on Trump's sayings and opinions.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/upshot/donald-trump-twitter-insults.html

The average member in this post is much more knowledgeable. Secondly your definition of TB is wrong.

Vganeji, and TKSji are more representative of TB community than you.
You seem to be so Vain that you think you know it all, and that you are the authority in everything.
Her quote "Katrathu Kai Mann Alavu, Kallathathu Ulagalavu" has been translated as "What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world" and exhibited at NASA.

Last edited:
I have said it before (it is not a compliment, even though you may take it that way), you are so similar to Trump (he is the republican nominee for president in USA). Too much bluster but no real substance. By your own admission you are the proverbial frog in the pond. You sir, also have trump's panache for insulting others who question your opinion. The similarity is frightening you should read up on Trump's sayings and opinions.

Lo! Again an example from US. Please speak in the language that I understand. I am least bothered about Trump or Tramp. You may think that he is the great individual ever straddled the earth and may want to gain equivalence by criticising him. For me Trump is just another name. When you addressed your post to me by saying it is addressed to the "know all" what were you doing ? Were you complimenting some one? For every deviant one like you there are a hundred normal ones here in this forum who love to read my posts. So do not pretend.

The average member in this post is much more knowledgeable. Secondly your definition of TB is wrong.

The problem is you are below that average you have mentioned. I do not look up to Kabir for inspiration to define TB. so no wonder you did not understand. Please ask Kabir to read Tirukkural and then tell you in Tamil what you want to know.

Vganeji, and TKSji are more representative of TB community than you.

I am just amused at the childishness exhibited.

You seem to be so Vain that you think you know it all, and that you are the authority in everything.

So you gave me that title "Know all". Thank you.

Her quote "Katrathu Kai Mann Alavu, Kallathathu Ulagalavu" has been translated as "What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world" and exhibited at NASA.

But there are also people who have not learnt anything at all--not even the "kai mann alavu". It is they who jump up and assume the role of a prize awarding authority --calling people "know all" etc. Your slip is slowing. Zip it up quickly and start with the alphabets quickly.Wish you all the best.

To those who are following this chain of posts: I hit only when provoked. Period.

Lo! Again an example from US. Please speak in the language that I understand. I am least bothered about Trump or Tramp. You may think that he is the great individual ever straddled the earth and may want to gain equivalence by criticising him. For me Trump is just another name. When you addressed your post to me by saying it is addressed to the "know all" what were you doing ? Were you complimenting some one? For every deviant one like you there are a hundred normal ones here in this forum who love to read my posts. So do not pretend.

The problem is you are below that average you have mentioned. I do not look up to Kabir for inspiration to define TB. so no wonder you did not understand. Please ask Kabir to read Tirukkural and then tell you in Tamil what you want to know.

I am just amused at the childishness exhibited.

So you gave me that title "Know all". Thank you.

But there are also people who have not learnt anything at all--not even the "kai mann alavu". It is they who jump up and assume the role of a prize awarding authority --calling people "know all" etc. Your slip is slowing. Zip it up quickly and start with the alphabets quickly.Wish you all the best.

To those who are following this chain of posts: I hit only when provoked. Period.

"I Hit only when provoked?" Donald Trump says the same in his speeches. LoL

Well said.
Like Kabir Das says:
Pahan puje hari mile, to mai puju pahar , ta se te chakki bhali, piis khaye sansar

If God can be achieved by worshipping a piece of rock Then I will worship a mountain.

Why worship a mountain and not a rock? Does Kabir need a Big God or superior God? Will God residing in a piece of rock be inferior to the God residing in mountain?

Shrutis are the sources of knowledge which were revealed by The Parabrahm (The SupremeBeing) himself. Men (Humans) have no control and authority over it. Men can not alter the Shrutis.
Based on the definition of Shruti, it is very clear that even if Shrimad Bhagvat Gita is found in The Mahabharata which is one of the Itihasas (Smrutis), it is actually Shruti as it was revealed by The Lord himself. Humans NEVER had any control or authority over it. Humans will never have any authority over Shrimad Bhagvat Gita.
AND THAT IS WHY

Shrimad Bhagvat Gita is a Shruti along with Vedas and Upanishads.
http://vkms258.blogspot.com/

May be googling for the meaning of the word "Shruthi" and "smrithi" will be more productive than trying to google for posts or blogs which says BG is a Shruthi.

I might use tripod stool for sitting but I can not call it "chair" merely because both the objects are used for sitting.

"I Hit only when provoked?" Donald Trump says the same in his speeches. LoL

LOL. That is because it is English language. And by the way I do not know and I do not bother about this chap Trump or
Tramp as long as he lives away in the US and not here among TBs.

Don't waste time reading too much between lines. May end up with myopia. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back