• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What is in Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Places in Tamil Nadu named probably with some significance

கும்ப கோணம் what does கோணம் signify ?

Jambu:peep:
I was watching the program "arattai arrangam" briefly this morning. It was held in கும்ப கோணம் and actor/director.. Rajendran gave an explanation that "enda konathil irundu parthalum kumbam therivadhal கும்ப கோணம் endru azaika padukirathu" (Apologies for writing Tamil in English). He said that the town has 368 temples.

My father hails from Papanasam. Hence my interest.

யானைக்கு எர்ரம்னா குதிரைக்கு குர்ரமா ? True for கும்பகோணம் மட்டும்தான் .மாத்தி யோசி மச்சி Jambu:loco:

யானைக்கு எர்ரம்னா குதிரைக்கு குர்ரமா ? True for கும்பகோணம் மட்டும்தான் .மாத்தி யோசி மச்சி Jambu:loco:

குதிரைக்குதான் 'குர்ரம்'..."குதிரைக்கு குர்ரம் என்றால் யானைக்கு எர்ரம் என்பதா?" என்றுதான் வசனம்... :flock: கும்பகோணத்திற்கு சொல்வது அரக்கோணத்திற்கு செல்லாதோ?:fencing:

Cheers!

the original name was KUDAIMOOKU which became kudandhai (Violinist Balasundaram was from this place - Kudandhai) There is another place here Kudai vasal. So Kumbakonam is the modified name that we see today.

As we all know the Mahamagam comes once in 12 years when KUDAI MUZHUKU is done by devotees. Because the muzhukku is done in Kudandai, it is called Kudamuzhukku.

ARAKKONAM

Thiruvooral name was first there Then changed to Thavakkolam, and was later called Thakkolam. It may be that Thakkolam became ARAKONAM during British rule.

There is no connection between the Konam in Kumbakonam and Arakonam. Kolam became Konam in Arakonam. and Kudamooku became Kumbakonam during British time. Britishers could not pronounce even Othakalmandhu so they cahnged Ootacamund (Nilgiris Dist.)

May be it is the creation of Britishers.

குதிரைக்குதான் 'குர்ரம்'..."குதிரைக்கு குர்ரம் என்றால் யானைக்கு எர்ரம் என்பதா?" என்றுதான் வசனம்... :flock: கும்பகோணத்திற்கு சொல்வது அரக்கோணத்திற்கு செல்லாதோ?:fencing:

Cheers!
Sorry மச்சி மாத்தி போடு அம்புடுதான்.கலைஞ்ர் தாம்பா வசனத்லே கில்லாடி Jambu :thumb:

DearJambu Sir,
As title of this thread says really what is in name? Whether it is place or human being. Madras changes to chennai, Bombay to Mumbai more on account of political or other pressures that in acordance to the significance of the place.
Even in human being when we have a (for example) goodname like Venkitaraman we call Venku and later on that becomes permanent and venkitaraman himself calls him venku. In some cases the initial becomes permanent like MGR, EVR etc. Later on if anybody tries to find what is in the meaning of MGR etc he will be no where.
Even in PUranas we know Ravana and kumbakarna but that wasnot their original name.

What is in the name

DearJambu Sir,
As title of this thread says really what is in name? Whether it is place or human being. Madras changes to chennai, Bombay to Mumbai more on account of political or other pressures that in acordance to the significance of the place.
Even in human being when we have a (for example) goodname like Venkitaraman we call Venku and later on that becomes permanent and venkitaraman himself calls him venku. In some cases the initial becomes permanent like MGR, EVR etc. Later on if anybody tries to find what is in the meaning of MGR etc he will be no where.
Even in PUranas we know Ravana and kumbakarna but that wasnot their original name.

Well said Mr. Subramanian. We want to know what was the real name of Ravana and Kumbakarna. Many may know the real name. But we want to know in your voice. The difference is between TMS voice and Seergazhi Govindarajan voice. In your voice we want to hear the original name of Ravana and Kumbakarna!

sorry மச்சி மாத்தி போடு அம்புடுதான்.கலைஞ்ர் தாம்பா வசனத்லே கில்லாடி jambu :thumb:

ஐய, இன்னாத்துக்கு கலைஞ்சர இங்க இசிக்கிரே? இந்த மேட்டருக்கு எல்லாம் கலைஞ்சர் வர முடியுமா? கொசு அடிக்கறதுக்கு மில்டரி கூப்டுவே போல கீதே? பெரீமன்ஷறு இம்மாந்தூரம் கேடுகின்னு கீறியே, அத்ததொட்டு என் குரு ப்ளேடு முன்சாமி கைல மேட்டர் கேட்டுகினேன்.....அவுரு, என்கைலே, கும்மோணம் மேட்டர உட்டுரு, அங்க பொறந்தவங்க சொல்லட்டும், உனக்கு ஏண்டா பெருதனம் இன்னாரு. கரீட்டுதானே? அப்போ அரக்கோணம் மேட்டர் சொல்றியான்னு கேட்டேன்; அவரும் சொன்னாரு. (ஐநூறு மில்லி சாப்டாரு).

ஏம்பா, பேசி பேசி தொண்ட காஞ்சி பூட்சிபா! ஒரு பாட்டில் டாஸ்மாக்கும் ரவூண்டு உறுகாயும் வாங்கி குடேன்!

அரக்கோணம் இன்னா ஆறு கோணம்பா! அந்த வேடத்துல இருந்து சுத்தி ஆறு முக்யமான எடம் கீதுபா! கீயாண்ட திருவள்ளூர் கீதா? மேலாண்ட சோளிங்கபுரம் கீது. வடக்க திருத்தணி கீதுபா! தென்கியக்கு மூலேல ஸ்ரீபெரும்புதூர் கீதா? தெற்க்க காஞ்சிபுரம் கீது. எத்த உட்டேன்? அதானே, தென்மேற்கு மூலேல காவேரிபாக்கம் கீதுபா! இந்த மேரி ஆறு கோணத்துல முக்யமான ஊருங்க கீறதால, அரக்கோணத்துக்கு அப்பிடி பேரு உட்டாங்க. இன்னா சொல்றது?

கும்புட்றேனுங்கோ!

ஐய, இன்னாத்துக்கு கலைஞ்சர இங்க இசிக்கிரே? இந்த மேட்டருக்கு எல்லாம் கலைஞ்சர் வர முடியுமா? கொசு அடிக்கறதுக்கு மில்டரி கூப்டுவே போல கீதே? பெரீமன்ஷறு இம்மாந்தூரம் கேடுகின்னு கீறியே, அத்ததொட்டு என் குரு ப்ளேடு முன்சாமி கைல மேட்டர் கேட்டுகினேன்.....அவுரு, என்கைலே, கும்மோணம் மேட்டர உட்டுரு, அங்க பொறந்தவங்க சொல்லட்டும், உனக்கு ஏண்டா பெருதனம் இன்னாரு. கரீட்டுதானே? அப்போ அரக்கோணம் மேட்டர் சொல்றியான்னு கேட்டேன்; அவரும் சொன்னாரு. (ஐநூறு மில்லி சாப்டாரு).

ஏம்பா, பேசி பேசி தொண்ட காஞ்சி பூட்சிபா! ஒரு பாட்டில் டாஸ்மாக்கும் ரவூண்டு உறுகாயும் வாங்கி குடேன்!

அரக்கோணம் இன்னா ஆறு கோணம்பா! அந்த வேடத்துல இருந்து சுத்தி ஆறு முக்யமான எடம் கீதுபா! கீயாண்ட திருவள்ளூர் கீதா? மேலாண்ட சோளிங்கபுரம் கீது. வடக்க திருத்தணி கீதுபா! தென்கியக்கு மூலேல ஸ்ரீபெரும்புதூர் கீதா? தெற்க்க காஞ்சிபுரம் கீது. எத்த உட்டேன்? அதானே, தென்மேற்கு மூலேல காவேரிபாக்கம் கீதுபா! இந்த மேரி ஆறு கோணத்துல முக்யமான ஊருங்க கீறதால, அரக்கோணத்துக்கு அப்பிடி பேரு உட்டாங்க. இன்னா சொல்றது?

கும்புட்றேனுங்கோ!

அட வுடூ நயிநா படா பேஐரா போச்சுபா உன்நோட. பேர்ல என்பா கீது ?கம்னு கட .இதபத்தி சேசப்பயர் அதான்பா லண்டன் கூவத்தாண்ட இர்ந்தாரே அவரு என்னா சொன்னாரு அவுத்து உடு மேட்டர் ஒவர் இன்ன வாத்தி வர்டா Jambu:puke:

Last edited:
அய்யா இன்ன இது ,கசமாலம் கிது ...செம கோப்பு பா ...கும்பகோணம் கோணம் இருந்த என்ன straighta இருந்த இன்ன ,அரக்கோணம் அரை தானே பா கோணம் கீது.நான் இப்போ ஏத்திகிட்டு வரின் லோலு :)

þó¾ Á¾Ã¡Š ¾Á¢Ø ¦Ã¡õÀ ¸Š¾Á¡ þÕìÌÐôÀ¡. §Àº ÅÕÐ. Áò¾Åí¸ §ÀºÃÐ ¾¦ÄÄ ²È Á¡ð§¼íÌÐôÀ¡.[font=tscu_paranar][/font]

There seems to be more in Names. One of my relative came from Madras by Bus and reaching Madurai மாட்டு தாவணி Bus Station Phoned me up at about 5.30 Am about his arrival and told me that he is in மாட்டு சாணி Bus Station. While driving him home I told him it is மாட்டு தாவணி & not மாட்டு சாணி .He thought it was மாட்டு சாணி associating with places like அடசாணி ,பெருஞ்சாணி etc. Logical I suppose and immediately asked since when Madurai மாடூஸ் started wearing தாவணி?!! Jambu:mad2:

there seems to be more in names. One of my relative came from madras by bus and reaching madurai மாட்டு தாவணி bus station phoned me up at about 5.30 am about his arrival and told me that he is in மாட்டு சாணி bus station. While driving him home i told him it is மாட்டு தாவணி & not மாட்டு சாணி .he thought it was மாட்டு சாணி associating with places like அடசாணி ,பெருஞ்சாணி etc. Logical i suppose and immediately asked since when madurai மாடூஸ் started wearing தாவணி?!! Jambu:mad2:

அய்யா மாடு அம்மா மாதிரி ப ,சும்மா தாவணி மேட்டர் மாடு மேல போட்ட பால் கிராகது பா ,என்ன மச்சி நா சொல்றது கரெக்ட் தானே,சாணி கூட பா மாமூட்டி உதவும் பா ,வறட்ட நைனா

அட என்னபா தல பொர்ந்த நாளா பேஜார் பண்ரே. பட்ட அட்சு பாயா துன்னு நிம்மதுயா கெடக்க உடமாட்றியே. இன்ன டஉட் உன்கு . அதாம்பா மாட்டு பொங்கல் அன்னிகி மாடுக்கு துண்டு கட்லே. அத்தபோல தான் பொண் மாடுக்கு தாவணி புர்ஞ்ஜுதா சாரி பிரதர் மப்பு ஏறுது வர்ர்டா Jambu:kiss:

Thinking about மாடு Brings back the memory of அலமேலு & her husband கோவிந்தன் Who used bring the மாடு to our door steps and supplied fresh milk. The inhuman part of it they used to carry dead calf stuffed with வைக்கோல் ( Taxidermy Local variety) to coax the cow for a good yield. This happened about 60 years ago Is this still prevalent? Or they have upgraded to injecting Hormones? Jambu.:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back