• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What does "Nanban" tell us?: Discard Religious FATALISM and Listen to Your Heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "Nanban" tell us?: Discard Religious FATALISM and Listen to Your Heart!

Dear ALL:

Finally, I get to finish watching Shankar's "Nanban" movie (originally done by Aamir Khan as "Three Idiots" in Hindi).

I liked it very much (now I miss dear Kunjuppu: he would have given a thorough Review on this. He is on a long Strike!).

The Scriptwriter is touching very many issues ingrained in India's educational philosophy and Society's pre-occupation of God & Religion and all the traditions that go with it.

Most importantly, the Religious FATALISM, and not listening to our REAL interest when we choose the higher education.

The line "if AR Rahman's father wanted him to be a cricket batsman or Sachin Tendulkar's dad wanted him to be a Music Director" was very relevant and very instructive.

Personally, since I am a Science, Engineering & Technology person, I favor students getting into professions as Engineers, Scientists, IT professionals etc... but, I told my kids to choose "Whatever they want to pursue in their own life: Literature, Arts, Science or Engineering".

My daughter got into Economics Major and Pre-Med Minor at Cornell; finally she became a physician with MD.

My son chose to go to Stanford for two reasons: He was not sure whether he would like to go to Engineering or Medicine or Computer Science (for all of which Stanford is the powerhouse, besides Sports, which he wants to watch every week!). Finally, he majored in Human Biology, and wants to pursue an MD + PhD combo degree at Harvard, if possible!

I urge you all to watch "Nanban" and think about the Issues it raises, and the Solutions it provides!

Cheers.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back