• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Violence, abuse part of life for Africans in Delhi Soumya Pillai and Mallica Joshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

For Joseph Akuma, going to the grocery store is a task he needs to specially prepare himself for.

“I have to prepare myself to not lose my cool, to be ignored by salespersons and to be charged more than the retail price,” said Akuma, 19, who lives in Vasant Vihar with friends and is from Nigeria. He came to Delhi a year ago as a student at a private university in Noida. While incidents such as the one reported on Sunday, where a mob assaulted three African nationals inside the Rajiv Chowk Metro Station premises, are extreme, more covert forms of racism are common.

The people facing discrimination come from various countries in the African continent, USA and Europe as well. Some are part of the diplomatic circles, while some are here for studies or business. A largechunk of those who come to the city, do so as medical tourists. All face discrimination in different forms. In high-profile areas such Khan Market and the malls of Vasant Vihar, store keepers ignore them and charge more money for products. In other areas such as Munirka and Khirki Extension, the discrimination is more open.

People of African descent in the city have learnt to live with the stares and judgment that they receive on the streets of Delhi but violence is also becoming increasingly common. “Every time I go out at night, I am accosted for drugs. For people in the city, any African is a drug peddler. I am an M Phil student and am studying African literature but for most people around me my colour defines who I am,” said Lisa, who is from Cameroon and has been in India for three years. The increasing violence, however, has raised the hackles of many African nationals.

For the 26-year-old Nigerian Percy Opuku, her stay in the capital has been a rollercoaster ride.

Though discrimination by shopkeepers, landlords and rickshaw drivers had become an everyday affair for her and her roommates but things got out of control after a bunch of around 15 neighbours beat her up, tore her clothes and hurled abuses at her in south Delhi’s Munirka village. The incident took place in May when Opuku had gone to a grocery store in the neighbourhood to get some essentials. She alleges that when she was about to leave the store the shopkeeper suddenly started calling her a thief. “Before I could realize what had happened, two men from the store grabbed my arm and started abusing me in Hindi. They then started gathering people walking on the streets. I was badly beaten up and my clothes were torn. But no one from the crowd tried to save me,” said Opuku. The city had shown its racist face in February this year when former Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti asked police personnel to raid the homes of Ugandan women living in Khirki Extension in the dead of the night. The residents had alleged that they were involved in prostitution and drug peddling.

Violence, abuse part of life for Africans in Delhi - Hindustan Times

Do Indians discriminate? Is the Caste discrimination the only discrimination in India?
In India We practice every possible discrimination. Age, gender, color, state, language, religion, you name it we will practice it. Sometimes we do not even understand our biases.

today the local police slapped half a dozen criminal charges on somnath bharathi, former law minister for his actions against ugandan women

delhi run by lt governor , has decided to act tough on such cases . delhi police is settling a score against AAP for what they did to police during their short rule.

Delhi: a city now rude and crude

Can the citizens of Delhi ever brush up their manners, wonders the author, lamenting the tell-tale depravity in their behaviour

Lucknow’s politeness and sophistication (nazakat) is proverbial, with the “pehle aap” (you first) concept taken to such extremes that once a friend even missed a train because of it, not to talk of the nawab sahib’s wife who covered her head with a frying pan when a visitor suddenly entered the kitchen and the begum was perturbed that she would look ridiculous with her head uncovered.

But even the much maligned culture of Delhi was not as devastated as it is now. That actually happened after the partition of 1947, when the Capital lost its moorings. The lingering heritage was what brought Josh Malihabadi back to Delhi twice as he wanted to “clear his ears” of the “hellish language” (Dozakh ki zaban) spoken in some parts of Pakistan. If he were to resurrect himself now, he would find the quintessential Dilliwallah almost extinct, save in parts of the Walled City where the old mores still survive.

Read more:
Delhi: a city now rude and crude - The Hindu

Though the article is dated 2009, there seems to be no significant change. Instead the National Crime Record Bureau says that the number of rapes in the country rose by 35.2 percent to 33,707 in 2013 - with Delhi reporting 1,441 rapes in 2013 – making it the city with the highest number of rapes and confirming its reputation as India's
"rape capital".

lucknow is known for its tehzeeb.even old delhi was the place of urdu shaiyiri-mirza ghalib, bahadur shah zafar. the last named penned after imprisonment by the british

" kitna hai badnazeeb zafar,,,,, do gaz zameen na mile koyi yaar me' . What bad fate Zafar has got , He is not getting even two yards in the whole world for resting finally.

lucknow life style was depicted excellently in guru dutt film ' chaudhvin ka chand' where in the hero tries to give up his wife when he comes to know that without knowing

he had married a girl his friend was in love with. it ends with saying call it friendship and may be lucknowy sophistication

delhi had two faces - one of old delhi with left over of muslim culture due to moghul rule and new delhi of the british make

partition changed everything. it got swamped by refugees from pakistan who brought the punjabi style of living to delhi and their language

thus there is this deadly cocktail hindi, urdu and punjabi all fighting for their place

and there are others -south indians , bengalis etc who are a very small minority who do not count for much except as civil servants or domestic helps.lol

Will they............??? Hope this old news item still holds good!

Chidambaram to Delhiites: Learn manners, behave better.

Rude, lawless, show-offs with a bad attitude — that’s how most people describe Delhiites. And on Tuesday, Home Minister P. Chidambaram joined the ‘Why are Delhiites the way they are’ outcry.

He also said that with the Commonwealth Games just around the corner, it was high time the city folk went in for an “attitude makeover

“The behaviour of Delhiites must be changed for them to play good hosts,” he said in Hyderabad.

Later in the day, back in the Capital, he picked the one habit of Delhiites that he particularly dislikes — their lack of civic discipline. “Vehicles jump red lights. People cross roads where they should not,” he said: “We want people to change their mindset.”

Read more: Chidambaram to Delhiites: Learn manners, behave better - Hindustan Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back