• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Veda explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have set out to explore the vedas, however an attempt to learn them has resulted in confusion. Being a Yajur Vedi, I am hoping to understand the vedas better if not learning them. I managed to get the text and audios of Krishna Yajur Veda-Samhithapatha, all 7 Kandas.

I also have the following: Astaka, Kataka, Aranyaka. I find it a bit too difficult to comprehend.Any idea what these are. Also I downloaded them from Sathya Sai Website in which the 'Aranyaka Kataka' is available for download. Does it mean that Aranyaka and Kataka are the same thing or are they chanted together??

In an another website, they are reorganised into Aranyaka and Bhrahmanam.

I will be grateful for a proper explanation of these terms and any advice for aspiring learners of Vedas.

Cheers,
Sriram

Note:- I must say that it was ingenious way to post those website urls. But please note, posting links are not allowed until you reach a certain number of posts. Until then, any roundabout posting of links will be edited and the links removed. - Praveen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have set out to explore the vedas, however an attempt to learn them has resulted in confusion. Being a Yajur Vedi, I am hoping to understand the vedas better if not learning them. I managed to get the text and audios of Krishna Yajur Veda-Samhithapatha, all 7 Kandas.

I also have the following: Astaka, Kataka, Aranyaka. I find it a bit too difficult to comprehend.Any idea what these are. Also I downloaded them from Sathya Sai Website in which the 'Aranyaka Kataka' is available for download. Does it mean that Aranyaka and Kataka are the same thing or are they chanted together??

In an another website, they are reorganised into Aranyaka and Bhrahmanam.

I will be grateful for a proper explanation of these terms and any advice for aspiring learners of Vedas.

Cheers,
Sriram

Note:- I must say that it was ingenious way to post those website urls. But please note, posting links are not allowed until you reach a certain number of posts. Until then, any roundabout posting of links will be edited and the links removed. - Praveen

As no one has replied, let me fill in the gap.

1. the 7 kandas that you report, are taittiriya samhita. These contain mantras/procedure for all the Ishtis and Yagas performed, starting from darSa-pUrna masa ishti upto ashwamedha yajna. The portions currently used most are rudra praSna and chamaka praSna which are in the fourth kanda, anuvaka 5 and 7 respectively.

2. The ashtaka, kataka etc. which you refer to are named "Taittiriya BrahmaNam". There are 3 kandas in this portion which deal with nakshatra ishti, ashvamedha, naramedha etc.

In krishna yajurveda samhita and brahmana portions are mixed together and as such the bifurcation into samhita and brahmana is only very nominal. In fact both samhita and brahmana contain mantra and brahmana portions.

3. Next text you are referring to is aranyaka portion. The aranyaka portion also contains portions belonging to "kaTha" shaka and this is referred to "kATake". It has 6 praSnas or chapters. The first one is aruNa praSnam (or the sun salutation), the second is svAdhya brahmaNam, the third is kushmAnda homam etc.. all upto the 6th praSna being pitr-medhA, i.e. funeral rites.

4. Taittiriya upaniSad is also sometimes added to aranyaka. The upaniSad has three vallies (or sections) called Seeksha valli, brahmAnanda valli and bhrugu valli.

5. The last and final portion of the Aranyaka is mahA-narayanOpanishad.

If you want to know the application of mantras etc. you have to read the samhita/brahmana etc. in conjunction with Srautha/grihya sutras like apasthamba sutra or bodhayana sutra etc.

Hope this helps you.

Can any one retain Garuda Puranam at home and can it also be
read as a routine one.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur
Firstly, this question is a deviation from the OP.
Secondly, I am sure you have an answer to it already. If I provide one, and it contradicts with yours, you are going to find supporters to your version, find quotes that support this view and blantantly acknowledge it as the absolute truth. Having gone through this once, should I not learn.
I will abstain from answering. Instead, why dont you read it routinely and see what happens and share the experience here.

@zebra16
This does indeed help. I'm very grateful. Good to know that rudra japa, which I am already working on, is actually from Yajur Veda. Had always thought it was from rig veda, don't know why I did that.

Dear Sri Einsteinstutor,
I also set out with studying Krishnayajurveda samhita and ended in confusion. It seemed to me that one should start with Rg Veda. This one is interesting and gives some idea of the evolution of Vedic literature. One is led to believe that Yajur veda was a product of the times when Sacrifices dominated and simple Bakthi faded. I may be wrong but the preliminary reading of both the samhitas suggest this. I am working on Rg Veda now and if you are interested please send me pm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back