• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

valentine Vs karadiyan nombu

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your take on valentine's ?

I feel that this event was non existent till around 10 years back in india, and the hype created around is media driven. I don't know about other cities but in delhi people literaly go crazy. I don't want to deride it but feel that this hype is overdone, a by marketing savy brand, and the a nice time for media groups to sell advertisement space

Don't we have enough festivals of our own ?

I feel that this event was non existent till around 10 years back in india, and the hype created around is media driven. I don't know about other cities but in delhi people literaly go crazy. I don't want to deride it but feel that this hype is overdone, a by marketing savy brand, and the a nice time for media groups to sell advertisement space

I am not sure why you used the Vs kAraDaiyAn nOnpu. This latter is rooted in our tabra culture, religion and ethos and is very much a matter relating to husband's long life and hence womenfolk today will immediately raise an alarm of "male chauvinism"; they will probably insist on an "uLundu vaDai yAn nOnpu" day to be observed on the moment of the sun entering the puraTTASi month, just the exact 180 degrees of panguni!

Today everything ephemeral, costly and even remotely connected to the phantasm called "Love" will sell. And youngsters will try to compete with each other is besting their friends; due to peer pressure. And those of us who have converted to the western culture partly or fully will sing halleluya to all such new conventions. Businesses only exploit this situation.

personally I find Valentine's day all hype and over rated.
I dont not celebrate it cos I feel love should be on daily basis and not just waste money for one day by saying I Love You in all expensive ways.

You know roses cost almost 3-4 times the normal price on valentine's day and enough guys are dumb enough to buy roses for their equally dumb girlfriends/wife who expect their boyfriends/husbands to waste money.

Its totally a waste of time.For us Indians who needs Valentines ?? We wrote the Kama Sutra!!

I am not sure why you used the Vs kAraDaiyAn nOnpu. This latter is rooted in our tabra culture, religion and ethos and is very much a matter relating to husband's long life and hence womenfolk today will immediately raise an alarm of "male chauvinism"; they will probably insist on an "uLundu vaDai yAn nOnpu" day to be observed on the moment of the sun entering the puraTTASi month, just the exact 180 degrees of panguni!

Today everything ephemeral, costly and even remotely connected to the phantasm called "Love" will sell. And youngsters will try to compete with each other is besting their friends; due to peer pressure. And those of us who have converted to the western culture partly or fully will sing halleluya to all such new conventions. Businesses only exploit this situation.

Dear SarmaJi,

We woman dont mind keeping fast..I observe Vara Lakshmi Vrat and Karva Chauth both and love the fact cos I am not too fond of eating anyway and its gives the Gastro intestinal system a rest too.

The long life part I feel God decides finally..no guy is a Markandeya these days and no women is a Savitri these days to both defeat Yama.

Last edited:
So is akshaya trutiyai; till a decade ago, there was no gold acquisition rush.

In fact, all festivals are now driven by commercial interests and corporates, ably supported by visual media and magazines.

We will soon hear of a girl committing suicide because she did not have a rose giving admirer! The pressure on school and college girls to get gifts from boys is seen to be believed.

I dont not celebrate it cos I feel love should be on daily basis and not just waste money for one day by saying I Love You in all expensive ways.

You know roses cost almost 3-4 times the normal price on valentine's day and enough guys are dumb enough to buy roses for their equally dumb girlfriends/wife who expect their boyfriends/husbands to waste money.

Its totally a waste of time.For us Indians who needs Valentines ?? We wrote the Kama Sutra!!
hi renu
i heard that roses/other flowers are heavy demand and out of stock in many markets in chennai....i read somewhere...its
purely a business media hype.....these days media makes a lot of business oriented festivals than the real festivals....even
i heard thai poosam day ...malaysia govt declared holiday....is it true lah?

hi renu
i heard thai poosam day ...malaysia govt declared holiday....is it true lah?

Memang betul (its true)..Thaipoosam is a state holiday for many states in Malaysia.
Ponggal is a holiday for Tamil Medium Schools in Msia.

Why TBS Garu..you tak ada cuti ke? (you dont have holidays is it?)

LOL "we wrote the Kama Sutra" we should celebrate St.Kama Day instead

LOL "we wrote the Kama Sutra" we should celebrate St.Kama Day instead

Sant Vatsyayana's day.

See we are being loyal to our own culture and honouring our own saints.

Santa kare seva!!!

So try to think of a day for Sant Vatsyayana's day!!

Last edited:
dont know how sucessfull it will be, with no brands to endorse it, except for companies like revital etc.......(i dont want to be too specific)

Hello Mr. V. Arun Kumar!

I can FEEL in my bones that you are NOT new to the Forum nor

to writing and we all used to know you as a different person till

very recently!
A I correct or wrong??? :decision:

You don't have to reveal your identity. It is just my curiosity to

find out whether my guess is right or wrong- if it is OK with you!
:welcome:

Sant Vatsyayana's day.

See we are being loyal to our own culture and honouring our own saints.

Santa kare seva!!!

So try to think of a day for Sant Vatsyayana's day!!

Yeah, people should try to think of a DAY for Sant Vatsayana for they must already be observing Vatsayana NIGHT!
:clock:

The day after the same roses would be selling for Rs two a piece

For rs 100 one can gift a armfull of roses.

We can call it 'left over love'

Valentine day and Karadiyan Nombu

Valentine day

Followed based on Western culture. (It is a belief that all Western culture started from the 'Sindhu Valley' (Hinduism) civilization is another matter).
Between two loved individuals composing of a Woman and a Man. Significance of Valentine day is it is a 'Lover's day'.

There could be more reasons.

Karadaiyan Nombu.

As the very name suggests is a 'Nombu'. It is a religious way of praying to the GOD to provide sound health and long life to one's husband. This is not about love between a Woman and a Man but a prayer by the Wife to the Lord about her husband and her wish. It is a customer or tradition being followed with specific reference to a story. (I am not detailing the story here). This is a VERY IMPORTANT prayer by the wives to the lord.

Fundamental difference.

The civilization, culture, beliefs and practices in the 'Hindu' system which is the fouding pillars of a 'Dharma' way of life. The valentine day is a mere expression of love while 'Karadaiyan Nombu' instils and strengthens the bond of a family for MANY GENERATIONS. Karadaiyan Nombu is ONE of the epitomes of a great tradition and all of which translates or relates to a proper way of living which has mulitple benefits at the individual level, benefits the society.

I am clean-bowled to see a VETERAN - NEWBIE

for the very first time in my life!!!:faint:

:welcome: Dear SIR to become a VETERAN - VETERAN

(with 1000+ posts to your credit very soon!) :typing:

Thank you for the reply. We strive achieve propogation of good deeds which can help Humanity. This is the simple thought with which I write. Please let me have your continuous views so that it only helps to better day-by-day.

Sure enough, you can have my views :typing:
every time you post a message. :ranger:
It is a deal! :tea: :)

Thank you for the reply. We strive achieve propogation of good deeds which can help Humanity. This is the simple thought with which I write. Please let me have your continuous views so that it only helps to better day-by-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back