• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vaikunda Ekadasi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologise for this late post first...

na GaayathryA para manthra: na Maathu para dhaivatham
na KaasyA: paramam theertham na EkAdasyA : samam vratham

(Meaning ) : There is no manthram that is superior to
Gaayathri manthram ; there is no dhaivam superior to
one's mother; there is no sanctifying theertham better
tha Kaasi and there is no vratham that is more sacred
than EkAdasi Vratham

The significance of Vaikunta Ekadasi can be traced back to the Padma Purana. The Purana indicates that Lord Vishnu took the form of ‘Ekadasi’ – female energy – to kill demon Muran. This happened during the month of Margazhi. Impressed by ‘Ekadasi,’ Lord Vishnu told her that whoever worships him on this day will reach ‘Vaikunta’ (heaven).

Like all Ekadasi days, devotees fast on this day and observe vigil the whole night. Some people indulge in meditation, Japa and singing of Hari Kirtan. Rice is avoided during ekadashi days as it is believed that the demon Mura finds a dwelling in the rice eaten on Ekadasi day.

It is widely believed that the gates to the heaven open - the Gate of Vaikuntha - on the Vaikunta Ekadasi day. It is one of the most auspicious days in Lord Vishnu Temples in South India.

The ‘Vaikunta Dwaram’ or ‘the gate to the heaven’ is opened on this day. This is the passage encircling the innermost sanctum of the Lord. Scores of devotees queue up to pass through the Gate of Vaikunta in the temples.

Vaikunta Ekadashi celebrations in Srirangam—foremost of Vaishanvite Shrines, lasts 21 days and is divided into two parts of pagal pathu (morning part) and Ira pathu (night part). Lord Vishnu as Lord Ranganatha is adorned is an armor of diamonds (rathnaangi) and is brought to the Thousand-Pillared Hall from the sanctum sanctorum through the northern gate known as Paramapada Vasal, the gate to the heaven. This gate is opened once in a year, only on the Vaikuntha Ekadashi day.

Only in Shrirangam, this divine Sorgavaasal will be remained open for the next few days.

In most other temples, we can see Perumal in Muthangi and other divya darshans...

Pranams

Thank you Durgadasan for highlighting Vaikunta Ekadhasi... (Caught up with this post only today!:))

Chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam, listening to Vishu Puranam or related discourses - is generally taken to, during the night of VE.

Not to forget that after Dharshan on Dwadhasi, the meal should be taken early; with Nellimulli and Agathi Keerai.

Sarvam Vishnu Mayam Jagath.

vaikunda ekadasi

Thank you Durgadasan Swami,
In Alwarthirunagari(Thirukkuruhur)Birth Place of Swami Nammalwar Paramapadha vasal is opened for Bagthaals on the Night of Vaikunda ekadesi (That is next day of Srirangam and other places's paramapadha opening).The speciality of Vaikunda ekadasi in Nava thiruppathi(9 places around Alwarthirunagari) is that Sayana Thirukkolam of Swami with SriMahalaxmi Thayar at His Feet on the Whole day of Ekadasi.People have Dharsan of Navathiruppathi by walk (abaout25KM) and on fast on that day.
Alwan

Sri.Durga Dasan,

I have a huge question about 'sorga vaasal' in Thiruarangam (Srirangam). As you know, all the devotees join the queue during the Vaikunda Ekadasi day to enter the 'Sorgavaasal'. When I was a kid, when I was visiting Srirangam (What an experience! I was 15 years old! worth writing a seperate article on that), my cousin said he would cut out all the crowd and took me to 'sorgavaasal'. However, when I crossed the sorgavaasal, I noticed everyone was going in the opposite direction! Then my cousin asked me to turn back and retrace the steps. I again crossed that doorway (it was covered in silver!) and went back. Now, my question is, does it count? Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri.Talwan said:-

"Thank you Durgadasan Swami,"

Sir, Durga Dasan is a young youngster. One of my favourite. Kindly don't call him Swami, please. We are all wishing and praying for him to get all the pleasures of life as much as he can handle without any conditions. In short, we wish he enjoys life first before someone calls him 'Swami'. You may not know he is a youngster; so, I took upon myself to let you know. Thanks.

Cheers!

vaikunda ekadasi

ok, Raghy.Taken with due regards.
What about the information
I have shared on Vaikunda Ekadasi at Alwarthirunagari?
That is the Topic.
Alwan

ok, Raghy.Taken with due regards.
What about the information
I have shared on Vaikunda Ekadasi at Alwarthirunagari?
That is the Topic.
Alwan

Sri.Alwan,

( I am sorry, I got your name wrong in my last post). I have never been to Nava Thirupathi. Even if I had been to, still I can't comment on the day the sorga vaasal opens or the thaayaar sitting near the Lord's feet. All I can say is, you have given an important information (Devotees can pass through sorgavaasal on cosequitive days). Thank you, Sir.

Chers!

Respected Talwan ji and Raghy ji

Pranams

Talwan ji as Raghy ji said am very young kid, and needs your blessings and certainly not salutations. Like Raghy ji, I too dont know about that. Whether the custom is applicable to 9 temples (sayana thirukolam) or just alwar thirunagari. Am much interested to see that temple. I heard that in sirupuliyur (the smallest sayana thirukola perumal) temple (one among 108) is also famous for this, where the vaikunda vasal will be in steps down. (AM NOT MUCH SURE OF THIS ANYHOW).

Dear Raghy ji
Last year even I went like that to srirangam. But people said that that is OK in srirangam alone. Since srirangam itself is equivalent to paramapadham, all the doors are considered equally there. So, certainly that counts. Thanks for your affection towards me...:)

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back