• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tuesday-Best time for air travel ?

Tata airline vistara announced a sale for 48 hours ending yesterday.

South bound flights for diwali and christmas got immediately booked.

What was interesting is south bound flights scheduled for Tuesday were left alone.

We continue to believe in auspicious days for travel and time of day also.

On such days flights are half empty.

An utter non believer like me this sounded very irrational.

I find it comfortable to take flights on tuesday and day flights[in winter not having to rush to airport early morning could

be a blessing].

Now I take flights only on tuesdays .

Interestingly hardly any senior citizen is found on the tuesday flight.But youngster have no such aversion to travelling on

tuesday.

It is good that the next generation does not believe in such things and is more rational.

It is interesting the way airlines price tickets.

Budget airlines follow the full fare airline and price a few hundreds below them.

The minute full fare airline raises fares, they immediately follow .

This gives the impression that fares are fixed between airlines.

All follow the leader to fix fares and time of travel.

Private airlines take off a few minutes before the national carrier.

They get premium slots for boarding .

Any negative news of the national airline is given full publicity.

Budget airlines do not use the loading arm for direct access to aircraft .

They park far away and make air passengers take the bus.

The sufferer is the passenger.

With extra security, the check in process is long and tedious.

So senior citizens opt for wheelchairs as a matter of convenience and safety.They board first and get

dropped into their seats. Though it sounds demeaning, yet most seniors opt for it.

We are made to appear prematurely old by the airlines and airport authorities.

Now I take flights only on tuesdays .(#1)

Air flights fine!

Hair cut? Not possible ! All barbers shop are closed in TN on Tuesdays!

If it is Tuesday it must be Belgium ! I Enjoyed it!

Most of the people from South do not prefer to travel on Tuesdays. Especially people from Kerala follow this strictly.
Beliefs have no rational explanation. In English it is called " idiosyncrasy" a word of Greek origin idiosynkrasia .(one's own/ peculiar mixup).
All of us have this temperament or mental logic in our behaviour.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Well now the times are changing

And one cannot wait for Tuesday

Of course, flight travel really meant for urgency and comfort.

There are websites which always try to cheat customers

If one visits the online booking websites, the system immediately reads the mind and when you visit the same website again, after a few days, it is bound to give you raised airfares. It happens.

As such, It is better to plan ones travel well in advance and book the tickets

I cannot book tickets well in advance though I wish to plan my programmes in advance.

A friend of mine is doing business in mines and for him the date of auction and meetings will depend on the Director of Mines and Minerals convenience. They are bound by budget, tax revenue, Government rules and policies, etc which may change from time to time. I can find him mostly running to Air Ports at eleventh hour cursing the Govt. Officials, who are supposed to give at least 15 days time to plan for such meetings.

When there are commitments in business, meeting, seminars, etc one cannot afford to wait for Tuesday.

This is the case of even senior citizen who are doing business. Such businessmen cannot get best deal on Tuesdays..

Of course you may get a ticket at cheap rate on Tuesdays. It is all depends on individual mind set.

And if you are an early bird, at times, you can plan your travel well in advance and get ticket at cheap rate.

Many plan their winter holidays in dec and jan well in advance.Chritmas, new year and jan second week

festivals are all times when people take off for their favoured holiday destinations.

Prices of air travel, hotels irrationally go up and public is left at their mercy.

Govt hotels like TTDC book only 15 days in advance. Kerala tourism hotels are expensive for middle class.

Bus travel is unsafe with accident rates increasing every year.

Many end up in Home stays in metros and smaller cities or end up straining relatives staying with them .

Most holidays end up with some experiences which leave a bad taste.

Now I take flights only on tuesdays .(#1)

Air flights fine!

Hair cut? Not possible ! All barbers shop are closed in TN on Tuesdays!

If it is Tuesday it must be Belgium ! I Enjoyed it!
Ha ha great, I also remember the review by Roger....Someone -- Mark Twain? -- once said that the American tourist believes English can be understood anywhere in the world if it's spoken loudly and slowly enough. To this basic item of folklore, other characteristics of the typical American tourist have been added from year to year: He wears sunglasses, Bermuda shorts and funny shirts. He has six cameras hanging around his neck. He orders hamburgers in secluded little Parisian restaurants. He talks loudly, and the female of his species is shrill and critical. He is, in short, a plague.
Is it true madam? The Americans are like that?

What was interesting is south bound flights scheduled for Tuesday were left alone.

I find it comfortable to take flights on tuesday and day flights[in winter not having to rush to airport early morning could

be a blessing].

Interestingly hardly any senior citizen is found on the tuesday flight.But youngster have no such aversion to travelling on

tuesday.

It is good that the next generation does not believe in such things and is more rational.

be a blessing].

tuesday.

be a blessing].

tuesday.

We can't really understand why such beliefs came into being. They may not be baseless but they are not applicable to modern times. It is a taboo to perform marriages on Tuesdays but in Mangalore marriages are performed only on Tuesdays. In the South breaking of mirror is a very bad omen but Norteners believe that it is a very good omen. To Southerners boiling over of milk is auspicious but to Northerners it is a bad omen. So on and so forth. Even in fixing a shubha muhurtham there are lots of differences.
I am a devotee of Mahaperiyava from an young age but of late from the past 3 years the intensity of my devotion has increased my devotion by leaps and bounds. From then on I have stopped believing in all such matters and laid my entire trust on HIM. Now I don't refer to any panchangam also. All I do is to prostrate before HIM and relate the matter to HIM and go ahead. All is well. Absolutely no problem. Even when I travel, I prostrate to HIM and take HIS blessings and go ahead. HE takes care of

be a blessing].

tuesday.

It is interesting the way airlines price tickets.

Budget airlines follow the full fare airline and price a few hundreds below them.

The minute full fare airline raises fares, they immediately follow .

This gives the impression that fares are fixed between airlines.

All follow the leader to fix fares and time of travel.

Private airlines take off a few minutes before the national carrier.

They get premium slots for boarding .

Any negative news of the national airline is given full publicity.

Budget airlines do not use the loading arm for direct access to aircraft .

They park far away and make air passengers take the bus.

The sufferer is the passenger.

With extra security, the check in process is long and tedious.

So senior citizens opt for wheelchairs as a matter of convenience and safety.They board first and get

dropped into their seats. Though it sounds demeaning, yet most seniors opt for it.

We are made to appear prematurely old by the airlines and airport authorities.

be a blessing].

tuesday.

be a blessing].

tuesday.

It is good that the next generation does not

be a blessing].

tuesday.

believe in such things and is more rational.
Times have changed and we must change along. These beliefs may not be baseless but they are not applicable to the modern times. Even registrar offices, jewelry shops etc. are empty on Tuesdays.
Whatever important I do including travel, I first prostrate to Mahaperiyava and take HIS blessings and go ahead with a positive attitude taking care that my deeds are righteous. I don't believe in superstitions nor do I refer to any panchangam. HE protects me all the time.

We can't really understand why such beliefs came into being. They may not be baseless but they are not applicable to modern times. It is a taboo to perform marriages on Tuesdays but in Mangalore marriages are performed only on Tuesdays. In the South breaking of mirror is a very bad omen but Norteners believe that it is a very good omen. To Southerners boiling over of milk is auspicious but to Northerners it is a bad omen. So on and so forth. Even in fixing a shubha muhurtham there are lots of differences.
I am a devotee of Mahaperiyava from an young age but of late from the past 3 years the intensity of my devotion has increased my devotion by leaps and bounds. From then on I have stopped believing in all such matters and laid my entire trust on HIM. Now I don't refer to any panchangam also. All I do is to prostrate before HIM and relate the matter to HIM and go ahead. All is well. Absolutely no problem. Even when I travel, I prostrate to HIM and take HIS blessings and go ahead. HE takes care of

Times have changed and we must change along. These beliefs may not be baseless but they are not applicable to the modern times. Even registrar offices, jewelry shops etc. are empty on Tuesdays.
Whatever important I do including travel, I first prostrate to Mahaperiyava and take HIS blessings and go ahead with a positive attitude taking care that my deeds are righteous. I don't believe in superstitions nor do I refer to any panchangam. HE protects me all the time.

Thanks. I remember seeing this film.when I was young.
One gets nostalgic about good old single days.
Let me go nostalgic about my Honey moon days in 1969 My connect with Roman Holiday is my Vespa MSL 467 .

My ride on Vespa to Kodaikanal from Madurai with J on the pillion in gay abandon specially the ghat section with hair pin cures was romantically thrilling!

Thank Vespa there was no break down! Thank God there was no mishap or accident!

When one is young , and a bit high on alcohol, the whole world appears rosy.

If one has a girl on the pillion in vespa within the IIT campus in late hour it can be heavenly.

One does not care that the pillion rider is your Tutorial Ms.

At that time one could make love even to a lamp post with saree wrapped around it.

Only next day when one wakes up with a hangover , one tries to vaguely remember the happenings of the

night before.

Prohibition was in force then . Carlton had permit room Spencers in club house Rd. was retailing to permit holders. Without permit there was no liquor shopping - only window shopping & Hang over with window shopping?

Delhi had/has no prohibition.Liquor sales in wine shops.Drinking home or hostel [though not officially allowed] was

common specially in PG hostels.IIT was the place where one celebrated freedom from home and learning to

drink and smoke. One jumped over the boundary wall to shacks where it was drinking with food late evenings.

Only constraint was money which always was in short supply due to meagre scholarship.

But most parents obliged with extra pocket money. IIT label ensured that we were considered morally pure.Lol.

Drugs were not rampant then. At best smoke with high tobacco content like charminar brand.Khadi tight pants, kurta

,beard , specs giving intellectual look spouting marxist ideology, jhola bag won one a lot of female friends. If one had a

vespa it was a good value addition.Hostel doors were open 24/7 in PG hostels.So no nuisance with guards.

It was a pretty good life.

My last visit to Kodaikanal I could spot Carlton Spencers and even a Vespa ! They look different refurbished or updated ! Vespa is not the குள்ள குண்டு of late 60s - but the சோனி பிச்சான் of the day. Indians prefer buxsom over anorexic! Naturally New Vespa has no traction!

Now it is time for mobikes.

Scooters are dead
Mobikes are macho.

Also it is jeans [torn] and tops [midriff exposed for girls] -unisex

Face covered partly with dupatta with only eyes exposed or goggles] for girls to avoid identification by friends,

relatives.

If it is windy, one feels closer to heaven.

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back