• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

tracing ancestors to prove OCI Indian roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tenalleyraman

I have retired in Australia at 55 so that I can return to India and live and enjoy retirement in India as an OCI. Unfortunately the only proof I have of my Indian roots so far is my singapore birth certificate which identifies my parents as having been born in India. The indian consulate has rejected my application and asked me for certified copies of Indian birth certificates.

I would appreciate it if you could initially point out where and how I could obtain this information cost effectively. My ancestors details from my brother's history are:

1.1. Father born Maambaakkam in october 1906 Rajivaksha Kumara Sharma
1.2 Mother, Lalitha Devi born in 1917 in the village of Vengalaththuur, both in the district of North Arcot in Tamil Nadu.

2.1. Grandfather was Kuppuswami Iyer, also known as Mahesh Kumara Sharma.
Grandfather was a linguist, a man of learning and high morals. He was a vegetarian and teetotaler, and abhorred those who drank liquor. In that sense he was also a puritan, but sometimes mistaken for a snob.
He came to Singapore from Tamil Nadu, in 1914 with his second wife, Balasundari Devi, (not ancestor) and Father.
2.2. Grandfather had two wives, first Lakshmi.
grandmother Lakshmi was the daughter of

maternal great grandfather Ramaswamy Iyer, a prosperous jute sacks businessman.

2.1.1. Grandfather had three children by the first wife, Subbulakshmi, and one by the second wife, Balasundari Devi. His first three children were: Sambasivan (aka Nalinaksha Kumara Sharma), Lalitha and Ranga Bhattar (Rajivaksha Kumara Sharma-father). The Bengali name in brackets became the official names of the boys.

3.1. "Paternal Great Grandfather was Sambasiva Iyer.

paternal great grandmother was His wife, Yamuna.

His family came from the village of Maambaakkam in the district of North Arcot in Madras State, now known as Tamil Nadu (TN), in South India.

The family Gothram is Haritha and the Sutram is Aapasthampa.

I would hope that records should exist and be easily accessible for either of my parents and only if they are lacking would I need to obtain certified true copies of their ancestors. The information about all ancestors is provided so that it can be cross checked against each other to ensure that the right birth certificates have been obtained. i.e. My parents' birth certificates may be correctly identified by their parents' details on the certificates of the children.

if even 1 birth certificate is traceable and can be sent across it may suffice.

I am grateful for any help or advice you may offer. I will reimburse all reasonable costs.

i've already posted the request for my sister's daughters education assistance. I don't know where to see the meesage already posted by me.

election commissioner office could be the right place to knock

regards, sarathy
not sure how they can. went to the site. in tamil. not too fluent. my parents were born in 1906 and 1917. surely there was no electoral commission then, given India wsa still a colony?

Mr Tenalley Raman,

I wish to say something here.

1. First you must disclose your original name here, when you put forth such request.

2. A general request of this nature, directed at the vast forum members, will take you nowhere.

3. No one has the time to engage himself/herself in such exploratory mission, even if paid for it.

4. You catch hold of some dependable agency of good repute and standing.

The sources you can look for:

1. In those days, most of the brahmins had their own houses and some agricultural lands also, where they lived. Therefore, you can approach the
village panchayat concerned.

2. Visiting the revenue department (tahsildar office) under whose jurisdiction, this village comes under.

3. Tracing some common ancestors or their descendants who still live in India and establishing contact with them.

Finally, without your personally visiting here, you cannot expect things will move on their own, according to your expectation.

thank you for your very appropriate advice. I appreciate it.
will take note and check when I come to India.

again, thanks for the advice. will note it for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could establish that your grandparents or great grand parents had their "own" house at the village you refer to, go through the records at the Sub-Registrar's Office concerned. This requires the assistance of an 'insider' who will demand some extra tips. With such person's help, you can find out to whom your ancestors sold away their house.

Then, you can do these things.

1. Apply for a certified copy of the sale deed which is a valid, government document.

2. Apply for 'Encumbrance Certificate' for say 30 years - covering the period when your ancestors lived. This is also a government document.

3. Give some public notice in a vernacular daily.

4. Try to approach the buyer of the property (house) if he/she is alive or their descendants, for any valid clue or information. (Don't expect anything
more than that).

5. Even advt in a local cable tv through scrolling may get you some additional information.

6. Engaging some private (detective) agencies may help you.

7. Finally, you may have to execute a 'notarised affidavit' which is nothing but a statement/declaration that you are a person of Indian origin (PIO),
supporting your claim through the documents/papers and information you have gathered through various sources as mentioned above.

Wish you good luck. Please get back to us, with some glad news soon.

Almost 80% of all home searches today begin on the Internet. With just a few clicks of the mouse, home buyers can search through hundreds of online listings, view virtual tours, and sort through dozens of photographs and aerial shots of neighborhoods and homes. You've probably defined your goals and have a pretty good idea .

But this Parameters always not working properly..you should have local knowledge at least the peoples history..

with regards
sivashanmugam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back