• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

today's woman..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

[video=youtube;k5BY_tO13pI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5BY_tO13pI[/video]

here is a video clip from the recent movie engeyum eppozhuthum.

i find it a perfect presentation of today's woman. i am, ofcourse, a great fan of anjali, and it is for portrayal of roles like this, that i think, she is among the best of the newcomers to the tamil screen.

here is a girl, manimekalai, who is a professional nurse, older than the guy who is attracted to her, and who deals with not only her insecurities but also his, in a novel manner.

the movie, i think, is a success. if you have not seen the movie, atleast i hope you enjoy this clip.

:)

Shri Kunjuppu,

I watched this movie around a month before. I loved it. Good movie with wonderful synchronization of the present and the past incidents of the story. As you said, Anjali is a very good actor whom I started adoring after watching her movie - "ANGAADI THERU", last year.

Anjali as manimekalai in this movie - "engeyum eppozhuthum", did her part perfectly, IMO and is highly appreciable.

[video=youtube;k5BY_tO13pI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5BY_tO13pI[/video]

here is a video clip from the recent movie engeyum eppozhuthum.

i find it a perfect presentation of today's woman. i am, ofcourse, a great fan of anjali, and it is for portrayal of roles like this, that i think, she is among the best of the newcomers to the tamil screen.

here is a girl, manimekalai, who is a professional nurse, older than the guy who is attracted to her, and who deals with not only her insecurities but also his, in a novel manner.

the movie, i think, is a success. if you have not seen the movie, atleast i hope you enjoy this clip.

smile.png

இன்னா, குஞ்சுப்பு சாரே!

கிண்டலா? என் ஆளு இப்பிடியெல்லாம் செலவு பண்ணியிருந்தால், நான் கும்பிடு போட்டு ஜகா வாங்கியிருப்பேன்! ஒரு காபிக்கு எண்பது ரூபாயா! Tim Horton காபியே ரொம்ப விலை ஜாஸ்தின்னு நினைத்தேன்பா! ஆறாயிரம் ரூபாய்க்கு, இன்னிக்குகூட துணி வாங்கமாட்டேன்! ஆனால், அந்த கடைசி செட்டிங் சூப்பர்! ஆறு வருஷம் டாவு கட்டினால் என்ன, அறுவது வருஷம் டாவு கட்டினால் என்ன? டூபாகூர் எல்லாம் ஜெயிக்க முடியாது! அவனுக்கு டின் கட்டியிருப்பேன்!

Cheers!

Tanslation in English (only as closly as possible, please)

What (is this?) Kunjuppu sir!

(are you) Kidding? If my mate ( only close translation. 'en aalu' is the person I am in love with) spent like this, I would have respectfully withdrawn ( from the love affair)! Eighty rupees for a coffee! Man! I thought the price was high even for Tim Horton(coffee chain in Canada) coffee! Even today I wouldn't purchase cloth for six thousand rupees! But, the last setting was super! whether it is six year desire or sixty years desire, worthless (persons) can't succeed! (In the above sentence, 'daavu kattinaal' is loosely equal to 'desired for a girl': 'daavu' means 'lover' - it can be one sided too; it doesn't have to be mutual). I would have beaten him up!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear Sri. Kunjuppu, Greetings.

Anjali is good. She deserves a fan club. I am in!

Last night I posted the full movie with some funny comments before I watched that movie in full. After watching the movie, I felt really sad and actually deleted that post and the movie link.

I was talking about that to my wife this morning. She asked me if it was a good movie. Well, it was different and it was catching. I explained that and said about the sadness. My wife said, if that movie disturbed me enough to delete the post, then it had to be a decent movie. She was of the opinion, I should not be thinking for others. True.

I learned to drive in Australia. I believe, most of the accidents are caused. All it takes is, a sense of safety and proactive precautions to avoid accidents. In this movie, the accident was waiting to happen. If I were the passenger, I would have raised hell; in India, would have risked getting thrown out of the bus too. But in Australia, the general public would have ensured, such 'accidents' don't happen at all. Right from the word 'Go' it could have been avoided. May be that is the director's message in this movie!

I am posting the link for that movie 'Engeyum Epothum' again. I am not going to make the funny remarks though. A word of caution - This movie ends in a drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfBxFeeYr8&feature=related

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear Kunjuppu

ravi, raghy, valli,

let us start an anjali fan club here :)

I have seen the first tamil movie of Anjali - கற்றது தமிழ் and liked her acting! (Anyone reading this don't waste your time in watching the full movie, you will regret it later.)

Her acting skills have been consistently good in 'Angaadith theru' and in the above movie!

I liked the way she compulsorily made her lover sign in for organ donation! :) It reminded me how I got this 'eye donation' form from a famous eye hospital, filled it up with my name (and signed it) and made my husband also fill and sign it (which he did very reluctantly)! :)

Many years ago I signed in for organ donation and after all these years my husband had done that just last month! I am still trying hard to make him donate blood but am happy that he takes a day off, drives me to and back, to my regular blood donations!

Kind regards

இன்னா, குஞ்சுப்பு சாரே!

கிண்டலா? என் ஆளு இப்பிடியெல்லாம் செலவு பண்ணியிருந்தால், நான் கும்பிடு போட்டு ஜகா வாங்கியிருப்பேன்! ஒரு காபிக்கு எண்பது ரூபாயா! Tim Horton காபியே ரொம்ப விலை ஜாஸ்தின்னு நினைத்தேன்பா! ஆறாயிரம் ரூபாய்க்கு, இன்னிக்குகூட துணி வாங்கமாட்டேன்! ஆனால், அந்த கடைசி செட்டிங் சூப்பர்! ஆறு வருஷம் டாவு கட்டினால் என்ன, அறுவது வருஷம் டாவு கட்டினால் என்ன? டூபாகூர் எல்லாம் ஜெயிக்க முடியாது! அவனுக்கு டின் கட்டியிருப்பேன்!

Cheers!

Tanslation in English (only as closly as possible, please)

What (is this?) Kunjuppu sir!

(are you) Kidding? If my mate ( only close translation. 'en aalu' is the person I am in love with) spent like this, I would have respectfully withdrawn ( from the love affair)! Eighty rupees for a coffee! Man! I thought the price was high even for Tim Horton(coffee chain in Canada) coffee! Even today I wouldn't purchase cloth for six thousand rupees! But, the last setting was super! whether it is six year desire or sixty years desire, worthless (persons) can't succeed! (In the above sentence, 'daavu kattinaal' is loosely equal to 'desired for a girl': 'daavu' means 'lover' - it can be one sided too; it doesn't have to be mutual). I would have beaten him up!

Cheers!

raghy,

manimekalai was testing the sincerety and intensity of this guy's love for her.

till then, his acknowledgement to fashion, was wearing the same coloured shirt as her churidar, every day to work. M was very fashionably dressed and in knowhow of current fashions, and forced him to splurge a bit to bring his presentation uptodate.

there is nothing in the movie to show that this was ongoing; for after that, they are shown, mostly in parks, public places and street stall eateries.

M is a very good character build up of a modern professional confident girl, who knows what she wants in her man. still she has qualms about society's attitudes as she says about her 2 month elderness to him. wisely, the producers did not make it 2 years, which would have made a statement. :)

so, dear friend raghy, i did not individualize the forced extravagance as a fault, but more a summing up of a lady's attitude, and her desire to bring her paramour to her level.

how many of us would yearn to have a girl like that :)

raghy,

manimekalai was testing the sincerety and intensity of this guy's love for her.

till then, his acknowledgement to fashion, was wearing the same coloured shirt as her churidar, every day to work. M was very fashionably dressed and in knowhow of current fashions, and forced him to splurge a bit to bring his presentation uptodate.

there is nothing in the movie to show that this was ongoing; for after that, they are shown, mostly in parks, public places and street stall eateries.

M is a very good character build up of a modern professional confident girl, who knows what she wants in her man. still she has qualms about society's attitudes as she says about her 2 month elderness to him. wisely, the producers did not make it 2 years, which would have made a statement. :)

so, dear friend raghy, i did not individualize the forced extravagance as a fault, but more a summing up of a lady's attitude, and her desire to bring her paramour to her level.

how many of us would yearn to have a girl like that :)

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu, greetings.

My reply in post #3 was more humour than a serious reply.

But in reality, Manimekalai is not just 'the today's woman'; the women were the same all through the years. Women have not changed today; women have not become any bolder or any outspoken tooday; women are not expressing themselves any stronger than they were expressing themselves in the past. They are just the same. Only the present society in general have become bit more receptive to women as an individual; the society today is bit more prepared to give women bit more freedom to express themselves than they could in the yester years. Today's men are bit more aggreeable to women's sensitivities and self-pride.

Continuing with the last paragraph, in the past, I can't imagine many Mr.Ramasamys took it calmly when a young man approaches him sent by Manimegalais; nor Mrs.Ramasamys providing a silent approval to wishes expressed by Manimegalis.

I wanted to test my theory with a woman; I asked Mrs.R to watch this part of the movie; she did. At the end she said, 'so, what's your point? He is just like you! At least unlike you, he is not asking any questions!'... But not a word about Manimegalai. Mrs.R did not consider anything revolutionary about Manimegalaai! Considering, 30 plus years back, as a barely 17 year old girl she stood up against half the village, I am not surprised either. But she did say after watching the bit of the movie, "look at him! he is so adjusting! In his shoes, I can imagine you disappearing altogether from the scene!" I protested, "Listen, spending 3 weeks of my salary in one hit for the purchae of couple of cloths a bit too steep!".... she was quiet for a bit then said, 'yeah; it's true too!'.

But I am quite surprised, he did not make enough progress in six months; it's pathetic to see, he couldn't even identify her closeby. Worst still, he did not know about her father! I don't know... we boys were quite good in gathering info in those days. Usually, in about 2 months, we normally had the girl's jathakam (literally). I am a bit disappointed with that.

So, in reply to your last sentence "how many of us would yearn to have a girl like that", we all got a girl like that. We cherished and developed the natural qualities to various degrees depending upon our social environments and our socio-economic capacities. (Trust me, even today, I look at the menu card and the price; if I feel it's expensive, I would just leave the restaurant! Matter of fact, I did that only last week! Mrs.R didn't say a word; I suggested either go back home or any other estaurant; Mrs. R said 'let's go home'..... and we cooked nice naan breads, puran poli, and vegetables and had dinner at home! We didn't even miss a beat. while that's one face, Mrs.R knows there is an other face which just spends any amount time, money & efforts just for her).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back