• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tirunelveli district iyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I joined a job in delhi , my dept head asked me if I was a tirunelveli iyer . I am neither from tirunelveli nor an iyer . what is so special about them . can anyone enlighten?

The district affinity is quite common among working people, irrespective caste and religion. There is nothing special about it.

One of my friends told me that Iyers from Tirunelveli District belong to Brahacharanam Sect only.

Is it true? Can any member throw light on this?

Not necessarily. I am from Tirunelvelli Dist. and am Vadama. It is similar to DMK claiming that Dravidians are original Tamizhans and the Brahmins are aryans who came from north.

The district affinity is quite common among working people, irrespective caste and religion. There is nothing special about it.
I think it is because of my bad tamil accent and looks appearing to be half malayalam making one believe I am from tirunelveli or palghat. My south indian friends would hear my delhi tamil and say tamil suddhama illaye

when I joined a job in delhi , my dept head asked me if I was a tirunelveli iyer . I am neither from tirunelveli nor an iyer . what is so special about them . can anyone enlighten?

may be the Tirunelveli Halwa!LOL

Menu pl. would like to present it to near and dear . how is it different from normal halwa of suji.?what makes it special .do only iyers from tirunelveli make it ?. RRji where are you?. you have iyer relatives in every place . only you can enlighten

I wanted to escape from this thread because the OP always is bothered by sub sects of brahmins!

Now.... about T' halwa. Our friend TVK Sir had a nice experience making halwaaaaaa which could make anyone who tried it :tape:
So, the result is this: Iyers can not make good halwa as others from T.veli! :decision:

BTW, do you know about iruttuk kadai halwa?

Please read this blog:
இருட்டுக் கடை அல்வா

I wanted to escape from this thread because the OP always is bothered by sub sects of brahmins!

Now.... about T' halwa. Our friend TVK Sir had a nice experience making halwaaaaaa which could make anyone who tried
So, the result is this: Iyers can not make good halwa as others from T.veli! :decision:

Please read this blog:
இருட்டுக் கடை அல்வா
RRji
sorry I dragged you into it . I too have never posted here .only I got enticed by the title.I have never been to tirunelveli . In case I happen to go there ,shall see both the original and the duplicate . Thanks for your post. regards.

Last edited:
One of Ram's brothers-in-law is from T'Veli. He is very orthodox, systematic, neat and very friendly. :thumb:

But he is not from the sub sect expected in the OP!

One of Ram's brothers-in-law is from T'Veli. He is very orthodox, systematic, neat and very friendly. :thumb:

But he is not from the sub sect expected in the OP!
RRji
I guessed right that you will have a relative there with your wide circle . your knowledge of that place would also be better . all I know is there is a nellaiyapppar temple there and cape is three hours ride from there by car/bus.It is a change over place to go to capecomorin.there was a nice tamil film with madhavan and jyothika with tirunelveli tamil spoken throughout the film .you might know better. I do not recall the name . nice film.

Last edited:
In Tirunelveli Dist. a lot of Vadamas, Bruhucharanams, Chozhiyas, Ashta shastrams, Iyengars all are there. You will fine more Chozhiyas in Tenkasi and Ashta Shastrams in Ravana Samudram etc.

Now.... about T' halwa. Our friend TVK Sir had a nice experience making halwaaaaaa which could make anyone who tried it :tape:

Please read this blog:
இருட்டுக் கடை அல்வா

Ha..Ha..Nice way of dragging me...!! I was born & brought up in Thenkasi ..70 km from Thirunelveli.. I have written about this Thirunelveli.. in my recent leeeeeeengthy story 'walking stick'..As for as Halwa is concerned..it is said ..the taste differs due to the uniqueness of water of Tamirabarani river..which is used for making Halwa..

But I never liked the 'Iruttukadai' and the halwa preapared there.. right from my young age.. My favourite is the LakshmyVilas..just opposite to the bus stand and on the road towards Railway junction..and it continues even to-day.. Unlike 'Iruttukadai' ..this shop is 24x7x365....

Now to the sect....I do not understand ..why this doubt about Iyers rised at all.. 90% of the iyers in Thirunelveli belongs to Vadama sect.. with Shringeri as their Guru.. To my knowldge very few brahmins who migrated from Karnataka belongs to Madva and bracharanam sect..and quite a few belongs to Sowrashtra community also.. [ Lot of Sowrashtrians in Madurai District]...

TVK

Ha..Ha..Nice way of dragging me...!! I was born & brought up in Thenkasi ..70 km from Thirunelveli.. I have written about this Thirunelveli.. in my recent leeeeeeengthy story 'walking stick'..As for as Halwa is concerned..it is said ..the taste differs due to the uniqueness of water of Tamirabarani river..which is used for making Halwa..

But I never liked the 'Iruttukadai' and the halwa preapared there.. right from my young age.. My favourite is the LakshmyVilas..just opposite to the bus stand and on the road towards Railway junction..and it continues even to-day.. Unlike 'Iruttukadai' ..this shop is 24x7x365....

Now to the sect....I do not understand ..why this doubt about Iyers rised at all.. 90% of the iyers in Thirunelveli belongs to Vadama sect.. with Shringeri as their Guru.. To my knowldge very few brahmins who migrated from Karnataka belongs to Madva and bracharanam sect..and quite a few belongs to Sowrashtra community also.. [ Lot of Sowrashtrians in Madurai District]...

TVK
TVK ji
do you seriously believe that tamirabarani water has something to do with the taste of halwa.It is like people getting water from ganges in sealed vessels from kashi .there are some shops in chennai selling tirunalveli halwa . I do not know if they use coovum water lol.

I would like to read your story walking stick. Is it there in some thread .also noted your recommendation of shop for halwa.Do you talk tirunelveli tamil .? I find the language different and delightful.

TVK ji
do you seriously believe that tamirabarani water has something to do with the taste of halwa.It is like people getting water from ganges in sealed vessels from kashi .there are some shops in chennai selling tirunalveli halwa . I do not know if they use coovum water lol.

I would like to read your story walking stick. Is it there in some thread .also noted your recommendation of shop for halwa.Do you talk tirunelveli tamil .? I find the language different and delightful.

Ha..Ha.. My dear Sir...you have given me a bit of 'jolt'.. when you said not read 'Walking Stick'..It is in literature section..

A word of caution.. I am not responsible if you get yawning, wants to curse the author, getting bored, wants tear or break your PC/laptop, or stop reading ...

I am like RR madam.. quite well versed with Chennai Tamil and sometimes with my thirunelveli Tamil..

TVK

Ha..Ha.. My dear Sir...you have given me a bit of 'jolt'.. when you said not read 'Walking Stick'..It is in literature section..

A word of caution.. I am not responsible if you get yawning, wants to curse the author, getting bored, wants tear or break your PC/laptop, or stop reading ...

I am like RR madam.. quite well versed with Chennai Tamil and sometimes with my thirunelveli Tamil..

TVK
thanks sir . will read and revert. RRji is RRJi . who can match her literary outpourings . I would like to read them all .waiting for an appropriate time .

Actually, the famous Tirunelveli Halwa has its origin in Nagapatinam in Tanjore District. Probably, it might have been introduced in Tirunelveli District and subsequently, becomes very popular and the originality is lost altogether.

1. The iyers from Tirunelveli are- majority of them- vadamas and a few of them ashtasahasram and a miniscule few from MPs and Mukkaniyas and Chozhiyas. Vathimas are very rare and brihacharanam too are rare. These brahmins are sishyas of Sringeri Sankara mutt only.

2. Tirunelveli Halwa is tasty. May be because it is made with Tambraparani water. The Iruttukkadai is a brand name. That shop in Tirunelveli just opposite Nellaiyappar temple main Tower on the East is still functional. There are loyal enthusiasts who come by taking a Town-bus from the nearby villages to Tirunelveli-Town to the Iruttukkadai in the evening(the shop is open only in the evening) just to buy 100 gram of halwa and eat it. Iruttukadai is a registered brand and no one can legally copy that name and use it commercially.

3. Whenever I visit my native place I go through Tirunelveli and I do not miss the Halwa.

4. Renukaji has given us all this halwa here by writing about it first. So Girls too give halwa. LOL.

5. Tamraparani water, Nellai Tamil, the tough people, the common people's numerous gods(cholla mAdan, Akkini mAdan, Isakki Amman, muppidAthi Amman, pattava Rayan, uchchi mAkAli etc., etc.,), very large temples of the organized part of the religion with their spacious prAkArams, the churches with their large cast metal bells and belfries, the TDTA schools run by the churches, the girls who are just angels, the beedi factories, their thinly spread out method of manufacture and their voluminous output, the ubiquitous touring talkies and the MGR songs that they still belt out, the unique "tharai ticket" which is nothing but ticket to sit on plain river sand (it is very convenient because if your view of the screen is obstructed by the man sitting in front of you, you have just to spend a few minutes to scoop the sand into a mini sand dune and sit on it so you have a elevated vantage position) the irrigation tanks that dot the district and their numerous water canals and channels, the wavy pattern that the wind makes on the green crops when it blows through the surface of the paddy fields, the bullock-driven "kamalai" which is used to draw water from the irrigation wells (now-a days it is replaced with pump sets), the Pillaiyar sitting under the banyan tree on the bank of the river who sits quietly watching the river stream and centuries as they pass through--everything about Tirunelveli district is beautiful. Visit the place at least once, you will understand.

Last edited:
1. The iyers from tirunelveli are- majority of them- vadamas and a few of them ashtasahasram and a miniscule few from mps and mukkaniyas and chozhiyas. Vathimas are very rare and brihacharanam too are rare. These brahmins are sishyas of sringeri sankara mutt only.

2. Tirunelveli halwa is tasty. May be because it is made with tambraparani water. The iruttukkadai is a brand name. That shop in tirunelveli just opposite nellaiyappar temple main tower on the east is still functional. There are loyal enthusiasts who come by taking a town-bus from the nearby villages to tirunelveli-town to the iruttukkadai in the evening(the shop is open only in the evening) just to buy 100 gram of halwa and eat it. Iruttukadai is a registered brand and no one can legally copy that name and use it commercially.

3. Whenever i visit my native place i go through tirunelveli and i do not miss the halwa.

4. Renukaji has given us all this halwa here by writing about it first. So girls too give halwa. Lol.

5. Tamraparani water, nellai tamil, the tough people, the common people's numerous gods(cholla madan, akkini madan, isakki amman, muppidathi amman, pattava rayan, uchchi makali etc., etc.,), very large temples of the organized part of the religion with their spacious prakarams, the churches with their large cast metal bells and belfries, the tdta schools run by the churches, the girls who are just angels, the beedi factories, their thinly spread out method of manufacture and their voluminous output, the ubiquitous touring talkies and the mgr songs that they still belt out, the unique "tharai ticket" which is nothing but ticket to sit on plain river sand (it is very convenient because if your view of the screen is obstructed by the man sitting in front of you, you have just to spend a few minutes to scoop the sand into a mini sand dune and sit on it so you have a elevated vantage position) the irrigation tanks that dot the district and their numerous water canals and channels, the wavy pattern that the wind makes on the green crops when it blows through the surface of the paddy fields, the bullock-driven "kamalai" which is used to draw water from the irrigation wells (now-a days it is replaced with pump sets), the pillaiyar sitting under the banyan tree on the bank of the river who sits quietly watching the river stream and centuries as they pass through--everything about tirunelveli district is beautiful. Visit the place at least once, you will understand.

சொர்கமே என்றாலும் எங்க ஊரு போல வருமா..!!

Tvk

My father worked in Talaiyuthu -Sankar Nagar Cement factory some 60 years back before I was born..He liked the placed very much!

Besides the above, thought of Tirunelveli - Nellai seemai, also brings to my mind the courageous Hero of 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century Veerapandiya Kattabommon and the Independence Activist Vanchinathan.
It is also called Veera Boomi and heard about local saying - “
பாசம் வச்சா உயிரைகொடுப்பாங்க - பகை வச்சா அருவாஎடுப்பாங்க"

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

i like to add....mainly tirunelveli brahmins moved travancore state during raja kerala varma/swati tirunaal period...some palakkad

agraharams basically from thirunelveli...kadayanallur/sankaran kovil/ambasamudram are mostly vadama villages....some acharya

from tirunelveli in sringeri peeth...so0 many are sringeri acharya devotees...i visited nellai appar/kanthimathi amman temple too

one of my athai daughter married to tirunelveli brahmin....tirunelveli tamil/palakkad tamil/coimbatore are more similarities...due to

kerala border/malayalam influence.....the halwa near tirunelveli jn very famous....i bought once....long time back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back