• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Time to shed barbarism in the name of religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-on-despite-protests/articleshow/45326579.cms

Nepal's Hindu devotees slaughter thousands of animals in Gadhimai Mela ceremony | Daily Mail Online

Images are graphic and please be warned about the content.

[h=1]Nepal's killing fields: FIVE THOUSAND buffalo lie slaughtered at the beginning of Hindu ceremony which sees up to 300,000 animals killed to bring worshippers good luck[/h]
  • WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • Hundreds of thousands of animals set to be slaughtered during two-day religious festival in Nepal
  • The Hindu festival is held every five years in honour of Gadhimai, the goddess of power
  • Festivities kicked off on Friday morning with the mass-slaughter of 5,000-6,000 buffalo in a field
  • The last time the festival was held, in 2009, more than 250,000 animals were killed, according to PETA

If this is what the gods desire, it is better for us to be without any.

I had emailed a Hindu Organization to start a signature campaign to get this banned but sadly they did not respond when they had previously responded to my other emails..it just seems they closed one eye to anything "Hindu".

I dont want to say this..I know what I say would sound very insensitive but I feel Nepal should consider banning this festival that is celebrated every 5 years.

The reason I am saying this is becos during the recent earth quake Pashupathinath temple was not damaged..I feel its a message to people that Pashupathi(Lord of the Pashus) was still standing cos He wants to protect Pashus.

Its high time this festival is banned.

There is too much bloodshed and torture..animals are even hack one limb at a time and there has been cases where the animals walk with their heads barely attached to the neck anymore.

So why did the tectonic plates decide to move in such a disastrous magnitude? Hearing the cry of the slaughtered animals?

My post might seems sans logic but this is what I feel.

In tamilnadu too hundreds of goats and chicken are sacrificed. JJ brought an ordinance banning animal slaughter but it was cancelled within a year, because of pressure from the communities.

This must not be seen as hindu religion issue; it is community specific and the community members, both men and women will not give up; in another article, the community was named, but not now.

There cannot be second opinion that the practice must be stopped, but ban is not the solution. There are hundreds of temples which allow animal sacrifices (buffaloes included). Budhdha could not stop it, jayalalitha could not.

A way has to be found.

But this slaughter of whales is an annual affair, in apr 2014 too. And the pictures - very painful.

Denmark is a big shame

The sea is stained in red and in the mean while it's not because of the climate effects of nature.

It's because of the cruelty that the human beings (civilised human) kill hundreds of the famous and intelligent Calderon dolphins.

This happens every year in Feroe iland in Denmark. In this slaughter the main participants are young teens.

WHY?

To show that they are adults and mature.... BULLLLsh

In this big celebration, nothing is missing for the fun. Everyone is participating in one way or the other, killing or looking at the cruelty "supporting like a spectator"

Is it necessary to mention that the dolphin calderon, like all the other species of dolphins, it's near instinction and they get near men to play and interact. In a way of PURE friendship

They don't die instantly; they are cut 1, 2 or 3 times with thick hocks. And at that time the dolphins produce a grim extremely compatible with the cry of a new born child.

But he suffers and there's no compassion till this sweet being slowly dies in its own blood

Its enough!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/dolphinhunt.asp

Pjji had posted this article way back.
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/rituals-ceremonies-pujas/20868-gadhimai-festival-height-superstition.html#post272194

[url]http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/rituals-ceremonies-pujas/20912-death-goddess-world-s-biggest-ritual-slaughter-manesh-shrestha.html#post272416

[/URL]
Even during that discussion Some staunch Hindututva types proposed some escapism by pointing out that others religions and countries too kill animals, as if that is a solution to this mindless killing in the name of religion. I abhor any ritual killings, in the name of any religion.
I am vegetarian but i leave it to others about their food habits. If there are meat eaters there will be killing for food. But this mindless slaughter should be banned.

Last edited:
So why did the tectonic plates decide to move in such a disastrous magnitude? Hearing the cry of the slaughtered animals?

My post might seems sans logic but this is what I feel.
This is exactly what my colleague mentioned... and that was how I came to know of the slaughter.

Btw, I think that if we were to entertain the idea of nature retaliating for the plight of the animal, then what about earlier genocides and world wars...? The earth should have split in half by now. Literally.

Even during that discussion Some staunch Hindututva types proposed some escapism by pointing out that others religions and countries too kill animals, as if that is a solution to this mindless killing in the name of religion. I abhor any ritual killings, in the name of any religion.
I am vegetarian but i leave it to others about their food habits. If there are meat eaters there will be killing for food. But this mindless slaughter should be banned.

As usual a muddled observation and confused thinking!

1. What is the need to bring hindutva in a discussion when slaughter of animals is universal and practiced by followers of all religions (budhdhists included, jains excluded) and whatever else they claim. More animals are slaughtered for food every day than the entire population of the world. All slaughtered animals are consumed as food, whether slaughter is done as ritual or in a slaughter house.
2. Killing for fun, bull fight is still on several countries; in the one I saw in spain, the whole crowd gave a standing ovation when the bull collapsed. Not sure whether the meat is eat worthy as it is reared with special supplements and proteins.
3. How horribly cows and bulls are killed in slaughter houses in the west are well documented - they are hung upside down, travel in a conveyor, jack hammered on the skull with a retracting chisel; pain and horror can be seen on their faces. Let new jersy log comment on what is happening in the backyard.
4. Let nepal govt and the community decide the best course - reduction in scale, alternate humane ways or symbolic slaughter. They who damn hindus must learn to look around and see the world with open eyes and informed looks.

Have to sign off as RRji says, kadamai azhaikirathu!

If killing for for fun is OK, killing for eating is OK, then killing for a religious ritual and then eating is also OK, as the material, method and end result is the same.

Last week, in surat, gujarat, two housing societies opposite a jain temple were careful not to have any muslim owners in their societies had to face this. One muslim family managed to rent a flat through an agent, and one fine morning he slaughtered a goat with doors fully open. One teen aged girl fainted, a few became physically sick, and police had to be called. What happened after that is not reported.

It is idiotic and insane to bring in hindutva or blame only hindus as done by some, I will leave the honorifics.

Religion is like a product. The promoter of this product makes all sorts of tamasha to make it stay in the world, and spread its presence. For achieving this, this marketing strategy involves both positive and negative aspects.

The killing of animals in the name religion is one such aspect - painfully from the negative side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back