• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thoughts for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Smt. Raji Ram for this interesting photograph and fine observation!

I think it works like our real eyes seeing those two buildings.

When we see the lower portions, they are nearer to us and look bigger and far-separated.

When we look at the tops of the buildings they are farther away from us and look smaller and closer together.

The camera angle and the angle of elevation of the eyes become one and the same as we scroll up and down the page! That causes this fantastic optical illusion!

Am I correct or is there another better explanation for this optical illusion!!

Physicists and scientists please spare some time and come forward to give your opinions! :welcome:

Optical illusion:

I never ever thought that one of the 'click's in my camera would have this effect!!

There are two buildings in the photo. When we scroll down, the buildings appear to move away form each other

and when we scroll up they appear to come nearer!!

We can give an explanation like this: If our thoughts are high, we come closer to others and..........
icon3.png

This is a thought for the day!! Have a nice day
icon7.png

Here is the photo:

IMG_3067.JPG

I just joined now. This is first discussion that I am seeing. I like the contents of this discussion. Wish you all the best.

:welcome: to the Forum and the many interesting discussions going on now!
I guess you like to think and so landed in the Thought for the day thread first! :)
Best wishes to you too, to become an active contributing member of the Forum!

I just joined now. This is first discussion that I am seeing. I like the contents of this discussion. Wish you all the best.

If the photograph was taken by the photographer lying on the ground,

than the tops of the two building will actually appear to converge at the top!

The scrolling effect will be much more pronounced and impressive!

I guess the physicists and mathematicians of the forum are too busy dissecting god (!) and exploring Maya(?) that they hardly have any time for the simple and wonderful things around us! :sad:

Thoughts for the day: can an American waitress adopt life perspectives similar to our own?

Just the other day, I ran into this post by Nickie, a server in a restaurant . Here is a summary:

Nicki is a waitress at a restaurant. It is a mind-numbing job. She drives to work everyday. When she needs gasoline for her car, she drives into a gas station enroute, managed by someone named Victor. One day, out of curiosity, she asks him: “Victor, is that your real name?” Victor is from India. How does she know? His accent is thick and mostly unintelligible. Victor raises his eyebrows in perplexed query.

Nicki explains: “I have friends from other countries and sometimes they choose a name that’s easier for English speaking people to wrap their mouths around. Did you do that?” Victor smiles and says : “I’ll write it for you.” He scribbles his name - Vishnu. Nicki looks at him and pronounces his name correctly. Victor’s eyes sparkle. While leaving, Nicki reflects on the fact that Vishnu is always smiling, and seems just as happy about his job as anything else.

At this point, Nicki says her mind latched onto Bhagavad Gita chapter3, v 21-23, where Krishna tells Arjuna:

“What a great man does, other people will try to do. The standards such people create will be followed by the whole world. There isnothing in the three worlds for me to gain, Arjuna, nor is there anything I do not have; I continue to act, but I am not driven by any need of my own.

If I ever refrained from continuous work, everyone would immediately follow my example. If I stopped working I would be the cause of cosmic chaos, and finally of the destruction of this world and these people.”

So what is it that an American waitress sees in the Gita?

In Vicki’s own words:

When I review this chapter of The Bhagavad Gita, I feel a weebit better about my current lot in life. There must be someone to sling pasta onto tables, pour endless streams of wine and deliver countless salads. There must be a person at the toll booth so I can drive over the bridge. It is necessary to post someone at the register at Publix so I can buy cat food. There must be someone to mail allthose books I buy online. It’s like themodern cycle of life.

There is a profound necessity to have a place in the most mundane of spaces. We are not all going to be famous and wildly successful, and if you consider how precious a simple life lived mindfully is, maybe it makes sense why Vishnu took a low key incarnation this time.
We are all Divinity incarnate …. We forget our divine nature, and so want to be famous and wildly successful to compensate for our ignorance.

Admittedly, I am not so enlightened as to give up the hope of ranking on a best-seller list one day. But it is in the small intimate moments with acquaintances, perhaps seeming to exist on the periphery of our lives, that we have the chance to see ourselves in all of our divine and mundane glory – simultaneously.

Last edited:
Quite a writer and a waitress!!! :clap2:

May turn out best sellers in reality!!!

Life is a complicated machine and

each one of us is an important component

and also play an equally important part in it.

Or the machine will stop as it can't work.

Once this truth dawns in the mind,
icon3.png

and each one fits willingly in his / her spot,

there will be no more jealousy and rivalry,

belittling and name calling,

mud flinging and feeling wretched.

The guy who sells "bondaa tea" in the platform :director:

is as important as the man who drives the train. :rolleyes:

Thoughts for the day: can an American waitress adopt life perspectives similar to our own?

Just the other day, I ran into this post by Nickie, a server in a restaurant . Here is a summary:

Nicki is a waitress at a restaurant. It is a mind-numbing job. She drives to work everyday. When she needs gasoline for her car, she drives into a gas station enroute, managed by someone named Victor. One day, out of curiosity, she asks him: “Victor, is that your real name?” Victor is from India. How does she know? His accent is thick and mostly unintelligible. Victor raises his eyebrows in perplexed query.

Nicki explains: “I have friends from other countries and sometimes they choose a name that’s easier for English speaking people to wrap their mouths around. Did you dothat?” Victor smiles and says : “I’ll write it for you.” He scribbles his name - Vishnu. Nicki looks at him and pronounces his name correctly. Victor’s eyes sparkle. While leaving, Nicki reflects on the fact that Vishnu is always smiling, and seems just as happy about his job as anything else.

At this point, Nicki says her mind latched onto Bhagavad Gita chapter3, v 21-23, where Krishna tells Arjuna:

“What a great man does, other people will try to do. The standards such people create will be followed by the whole world. There isnothing in the three worlds for me to gain, Arjuna, nor is there anything I do not have; I continue to act, but I am not driven by any need of my own.

If I ever refrained from continuous work, everyone would immediately follow my example. If I stopped working I would be the cause of cosmic chaos, and finally of the destruction of this world and these people.”

So what is it that an American waitress see in the Gita?

In Vicki’s own words:

When I review this chapter of The Bhagavad Gita, I feel a weebit better about my current lot in life. There must be someone to sling pasta onto tables, pour endless streams of wine and deliver countless salads. There must be a person at the toll booth so I can drive over the bridge. It is necessary to post someone at the register at Publix so I can buy cat food. There must be someone to mail allthose books I buy online. It’s like themodern cycle of life.

There is a profound necessity to have a place in the most mundane of spaces. We are not all going to be famous and wildly successful, and if you consider how precious a simple life lived mindfully is, maybe it makes sense why Vishnu took a low key incarnation this time.
We are all Divinity incarnate …. We forget our divine nature, and so want to be famous and wildly successful to compensate for our ignorance.

Admittedly, I am not so enlightened as to give up the hope of ranking on a best-seller list one day. But it is in the small intimate moments with acquaintances, perhaps seeming to exist on the periphery of our lives, that we have the chance to see ourselves in all of our divine and mundane glory – simultaneously.

யார் பெரியவர்?

ஒருநாள் ஒரு பெரிய கேள்வி பிறந்தது,
உறுப்புகளில் எல்லாம் யார் பெரியவர்?
கண்களா, காதுகளா, நாசியா, நாவா?
கால்களா , கரங்களா, வயிரா, வாயா?

உடல் நலம் பேணுவதில் இவர்களில்
உண்மையில் யார் தான் பெரியவர்?
விடை தெரியவில்லை ஒருவருக்கும்,
உடன் தொடங்கியது வேலை நிறுத்தம்!

“எங்கள் உதவியின்றி, எப்படி உண்ணுவீர்கள்?”
என்று தங்கள் பெருமை பேசின கரங்கள்!
“எங்கள் உதவி இன்றி ஓடி, ஆடிப் பொருள்
எப்படித் தேடுவீர்” என்று கேட்டன கால்கள் .

” நான் தான் உணவை விழுங்கி உடலுக்கு
நன்மை புரிகின்றேன்”, பெருமை பேசியது வாய் .
” எங்கள் உதவி இன்றி எப்படி ஜீரணம் செய்வீர்”?
என்று வழக்காடின வயிறும், இரு குடல்களும் .

காதுகளும், கண்களும், மற்ற உறுப்புக்களும்,
கலகம் செய்யத் தொடங்கின ஒரே நேரத்தில்.
முடிவு காண முடியாமல் போனதால், அவைகள்
முழுவதுமாகப் ஆக போராட்டத்தில் இறங்கின.

உணவு உள்ளே செல்ல வில்லை; உடல் சக்தி இழந்தது.
கண்கள் மங்கி விட்டன; காதுகள் பஞ்சடைத்தன;
மூளை மழுங்கி விட்டது; குரல் கூட எழும்பவில்லை.
மூலையில் சுருண்டு விழுந்து விட்டது உடல்.

புரிந்தது அப்போதுதான் அதற்கு ஒரு உண்மை.
பெரியவர் சிறியவர் என்கின்ற பேதம் இல்லை.
சரிவர அனைவரும் தத்தம் பணிகளை,
புரிந்தால் மட்டுமே உடல் வாழ முடியும் .

புத்தி வந்தது; போராட்டாம் முடிந்தது!
சக்தி வந்தது; உடல் பணிகள் நடந்தன!
வேற்றுமை மறந்த உடல் உறுப்புகளும்,
ஒற்றுமையாக தம் பணிகளை செய்தன.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி
Source: <visalramani.wordpress.com>

Quite a writer and a waitress!!!

May turn out best sellers in reality!!!

Life is a complicated machine and

each one of us is an important component

and also play an equally important part in it.

What I liked most about Nicki's post was her honest self-assessment that:
a) "We are not all going to be famous and wildly successful, and if you consider how precious a simple life lived mindfully is, maybe it makes sense ....", and that
b) "I am not so enlightened as to give up the hope of ranking on a best-seller list one day. But it is in the small intimate moments with acquaintances, perhaps seeming to exist on the periphery of our lives, that we have the chance to see ourselves in all of our divine and mundane..."

Last edited:
"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
Søren Kierkegaard (1813 - 1855)
Danish philosopher

Dear Srimathi Naina_Marbus, Ji,

I had tears when I read Nickie's account, though I suspect that there are not too many like her waiting tables.

But there some like her in all walks of humble life in USA, who are humble, reflective and at the same time in the pursuit of their happiness. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,
KRS

Nicki explains: “I have friends from other countries and sometimes they choose a name that’s easier for English speaking people to wrap their mouths around. Did you do that?” Victor smiles and says : “I’ll write it for you.” He scribbles his name - Vishnu. Nicki looks at him and pronounces his name correctly. Victor’s eyes sparkle. While leaving, Nicki reflects on the fact that Vishnu is always smiling, and seems just as happy about his job as anything else.

So what is it that an American waitress sees in the Gita?

In Vicki’s own words:

Dear Srimathi Naina_Marbus, Ji,

I had tears when I read Nickie's account, though I suspect that there are not too many like her waiting tables.

But there some like her in all walks of humble life in USA, who are humble, reflective and at the same time in the pursuit of their happiness. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,
KRS

Thanks, Shri KRSji.

PS. I am a he, not a Srimathi.

But there some like her in all walks of humble life in USA, who are humble, reflective and at the same time in the pursuit of their happiness.

I am sure people like her abound in the world in all

countries at all times!

Dear Elder Sister,

I cited USA, because this country more than any gives respect to all labor. I worked as a bus boy in a restaurant, a cabbie and so forth when I was a student. They do not look down on folks on account of the work they do. Hence my comment one can find such folks here.

Sorry Sri Naina-Maribus. I stand corrected. :)

Regards,
KRS

But there some like her in all walks of humble life in USA, who are humble, reflective and at the same time in the pursuit of their happiness.

I am sure people like her abound in the world in all

countries at all times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back