• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thirupathi - sathumurai sevai (jeeyar sevai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Om Namo Narayanaya Namaha !

Namaskaram !

We are Vadakalai Iyengar. recently I visited Thirupathi along with my son and tried to have SATHUMURAI SEVAI (pl correct me if I have not spelled it correctly).

We were not allowed to join the band of Vaishnavites. There were few unfortunate like us. We were not hurt, but, realised that we are missing something.

Could anyone help us to know the importance, formalities and qualification to enter along with the Jeeyar ?

Would be greatful to know the present Jeeyar's address, who is at present regulating this.

- Renganathan Raghavan Mannargudi

Last edited:
Mr Renganathan,

I am not an iyengar, but i was part of the jeeyar sevai. (you may rightly think that i "cheated" but i had to because i had a genuine iyengar friend who wanted to go thru this seva).

This is what we did

a) Took bath and sported veshti and mel thundu (uthriyam)

b) Prominent namam (Vadakalai or Thengalai, both are ok i guess)

c) Poonool is a must

d) Have to shave off all facial hair or have both moustache and beard ; only moustache or only beard not allowed

e) Shave off an inch above the ear all through the sides

f) Shave off sidelock / sideburns

Hit the queue at around 6.30 am and i guess you should be easily part of the jeeyar's entourge.

Jeeyar seva @ thirupathi

Thank you Mr.Hariharan. Excellent.

It is only the physical aspect that matters.

I failed in your systematic approach :
e ) Shave off an inch above the ear all through the sides.

Hope recently, this " inch " had gone little more !

shall take care and try again !

I would be obliged to know the tradition, custom and the knowledge we should have.

My wife used to envy about this.

U r true Brahmin ( since u shared the truth ! that is our weakness or strength ? )

- Renganathan Raghavan Mannargudi

If for any reason tonsured at thirupathy, see that you dont do completely. A brahmin is not supposed to have completely tonsured; should have kudumi. The jeeyar asks acharya thanian sometimes - to make sure that you are a true vaishnavite.Let my iyer friend memorise the present acharya thanian( ahobila mutt or andavan thanian) so that next occassion he is not caught.
Without any knowledge dont sport 12 thiruman. its placement is important; it will idendify you if you are not adept

do sincerely attend local temple's sathumarai regularly and you can be conversant with the procedures.

one of my friend a brahmin, who was denied entry for sathumarai sevai during his previous visit followed the technique adopted by hariharan on a friend's advice during his next visit and had no problem attending the same. Is there any logic behind the admission restrictions for the sathumarai sevai?

If for any reason tonsured at thirupathy, see that you dont do completely. A brahmin is not supposed to have completely tonsured; should have kudumi. The jeeyar asks acharya thanian sometimes - to make sure that you are a true vaishnavite.Let my iyer friend memorise the present acharya thanian( ahobila mutt or andavan thanian) so that next occassion he is not caught.
Without any knowledge dont sport 12 thiruman. its placement is important; it will idendify you if you are not adept

do sincerely attend local temple's sathumarai regularly and you can be conversant with the procedures.
Thank you sir. Best practical guidance.

- [email protected]

thank you Sir.

Very practical approach to learn Sathumarai Kramam.

- [email protected]

Dear Mr. Renganath Iyengar,

Be a vaishnavite and acharya thanian (thanian for your acharya who do pancha samskaramas for you).

As I am not Iyengar, message got from my iyengar friend.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back